The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

The Calm Before the Storm

W1 D6 LN Nessa Valkyn Venture Perrin Maks Cantos Orlan Ignas

114 replies to this topic

#41 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• Relationship StatusBeginning a Relationship with Perrin

• OriginCentral Dominance Plantation

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

Nessa frowned thoughtfully as Perrin explained pushing and pulling on metals. It really did sound dangerous, especially if Nessa wanted to use anything with a blade. Looked like she'd be using just her fists most of the time, after all.

Then he pulled out a coin, and without further ado, it flew - seemingly by itself - across the room and stuck to the first wall it encountered. Nessa, who hadn't been entirely sure what to expect, let out a yelp and jumped a little in surprise.

"You can seriously do that?" she gasped, wide-eyed, even though she had just seen it happen. "With anything made of metal?" She let out a low whistle. "That is dangerous.

"So... how do you launch yourself? By pushing like that on something really heavy? That sounds hard."

#42 Perrin

Member of Lucille Deveaux's Book Club

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

Perrin chuckled at Nessa's reaction. "I don't necessarily have to push on something heavy. Generally all I push against are coins like that one," he said finally releasing his push, allowing the coin to clatter down onto the ground. "The thing that the coin, or bit of metal, is anchored to does need to be heavier than me though. Here," he said standing up, "I'll show you."

He dropped three coins below him, in the shape of a triangle, then positioned himself so that he was in the center of the coins. Pushing as controlled and lightly as he could, Perrin raised himself up off the floor. Maintaining the push at just the right level had taken Perrin years of practice to master, and he prided himself on how good he was with steel and iron. Actually, he had determined that they were his best metals a long time ago. Perhaps it was because they were the first metals that he worked with. That was beside the point now though.

"Basically this is how it works, except I usually push harder and for a shorter amount of time when I'm 'jumping'."

Posted Image

#43 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:39 PM

"Lord Ruler," Nessa breathed, watching Perrin suddenly just rise up off the floor. She had caught a glimpse of him 'flying' earlier, but that was nothing compared to seeing it up-close and in detail like this. It was...

"That's... amazing," she managed at last, still staring wide-eyed. "And you can do that whenever you want, just by burning metals? Wow..."

#44 Perrin

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

He grinned at Nessa's reaction, "Like I said before Sweets, maybe I'll take you with me sometime so you can experience the real deal."

Perrin slowly released the pressure of his push against the coins beneath him and sank slowly back to the floor. He scooped up the coins from the ground and stowed them back in his coin pouch, then sat down next to Nessa again, their arms touching. "What're you doing up so late anyways?"

Posted Image

#45 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

"Couldn't sleep," Nessa said simply. She was somewhat surprised when he sat down so close to her, but after what had just happened, she was glad for the contact. It was like having something stable to lean on. Which, come to think of it, was kind of what was happening anyways, considering the promise he had made earlier.

"I just kept thinking about tomorrow, and how Ignas hasn't told us anything yet, and how was I supposed to do a job when I had no idea what that job is supposed to be.... and then I heard the music." She shivered a little. "You know the rest of the story."

#46 Perrin

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:37 PM

"Ah," he replied. He should have been able to guess her response would be that her nerves were keeping her up. Actually, now that she had mentioned what tomorrow would bring, Perrin felt his own nerves flare up. He probably wasn't near anywhere as nervous as Nessa was, but the fact that his sole job tomorrow would be to get chased by an inquisitor was unsettling to him, to say the least.

"Ignas hasn't told us anything yet for a reason though. Much as I hate to admit it, the man does know what he's doing. And don't you worry, Sweets, you'll be fine tomorrow. You'll probably be with Maks the entire time, and he won't let you get into any trouble."

Posted Image

#47 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:49 AM

"That's good," Nessa sighed. "I'd hate to be stuck by myself, or stabbing random people or lighting people on fire with Ignas or something. But if I'm with Maks, I'm sure everything will be okay. I hope."

She sighed, wrapping her arms around her knees again and leaning a little more against Perrin's arm. "Will it be like this every time there's a ball?" she asked softly.

#48 Perrin

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

Perrin paused for a moment when Nessa mentioned Ignas. Certainly it wouldn't be the safest place for her tomorrow, but it surely couldn't be the worst place either. The man would keep her safe... Perrin was almost completely sure.

"Nah, it won't be like this every ball," he replied, "If we did this every time the nobles got together to play we would never get any rest. And... they would probably stop throwing balls." Perrin chuckled, "Constantly being attacked while trying to dance would get annoying real fast, I would guess."

Posted Image

#49 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:32 PM

"Yeah," Nessa agreed, giving a nervous chuckle. "I guess you're right. Still... that's a relief. It'd be pretty crazy if we tried to do this all the time, I think." She paused, as if considering something, and then continued.

"What other stuff will we be doing?" she asked curiously. "Even if we're not attacking keeps, we won't just be sitting around, right?"

#50 Perrin

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:43 AM

"Well you certainly won't just be sitting around. You'll have plenty of training to do seeing as you're completely horrible with any sort of weapon," Perrin smirked. "More important people," he put one of his hands on his chest, "Like myself, will be carrying out much smaller missions. Maybe I'll let you tag along every now and then."

Posted Image

#51 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:39 AM

Nessa frowned. "It's not my fault I never got to use weapons before," she pouted. "And how can I come with you when I can't even fly? And what do you mean, more important? Just cause you can fly doesn't make you the best thing since baywraps, you know."

#52 Perrin

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:22 AM

Perrin chuckled fondly at Nessa. "Follow me, Sweets," he said then stood up. Perhaps this wasn't the best time to do this, what with tomorrow being such a big day and all, but if it didn't happen now, Perrin wasn't sure when it would ever happen at all. He stepped out of the back door into the alley behind the shop and waited for Nessa to join him.

Posted Image

#53 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:30 AM

Nessa stared blankly after Perrin as he got up and left, wondering what he was planning next. With the way the two of them seemed to go back and forth between random activities, it could be anything from randomly joining a ball to planting a garden next to Kredik Shaw.

At last, though, she got up and followed him out into the mists. "You're not hiding any dresses out here, are you?" she asked suspiciously.

#54 Perrin

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:26 AM

"If I was, what would you do?" he asked chuckling. Perrin checked his metal reserves and decided to err on the side of safety by downing another vial. He smiled at Nessa and stepped closer to her.

Posted Image

#55 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:52 AM

"They only got me into that dress because I won't fight off a bunch of women," Nessa shot back with a challenging grin. "You, I wouldn't be afraid to fight off." She blinked, then looked around, concerned.

"Why, you didn't really bring one out here, did you?"

#56 Perrin

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:56 AM

Perrin chuckled and shook his head, "Of course not, Sweets, I wanted to... show you something." He paused for a moment, looking up with tin enhanced eyes through the mists; the stars were almost visible tonight. "We're going to go flying," he said as he looked back to Nessa, "D'you trust me?" he asked as he held out his hand to her.

Posted Image

#57 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:08 AM

"What!?" Nessa gasped. They were what? He was seriously going to take her flying? Would it be safe? Could he hold on to her and fly at the same time? And if he dropped her...

Despite her fears, though, she found herself reaching out to place her hand in his. Did she trust him?

".... Yes."

#58 Perrin

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:45 PM

Placing her hand in his was all the confirmation Perrin needed. He grinned, and before Nessa could utter a word of protest or complaint, scooped her up into his arms. Then with iron and steel burning hot within him, he dropped a coin beneath him and gave a mighty push.

The mists whirled around the pair as they rose rapidly into the night sky, Perrin smiling, feeling completely content. He adjusted Nessa's position in his arms slightly so that he would still be able to retrieve coins from his pouch to push against and noted that perhaps he should have started a little smaller, this being the first time he had ever tried this with another person. Too late now though.

As their ascent began to slow, Perrin searched for a strong source of metal that he would be able to push against to both slow their descent and adjust their path a little, sending them away from Lan's shop. He found an appropriate source, and waited for the right moment to push against it. Perrin glanced at Nessa; maybe he would make her squirm just a bit, and decided to hold off on his push for a few seconds into their fall.

Posted Image

#59 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:27 PM

Nessa gasped when she suddenly found herself being swept off her feet, but that was nothing compared to the sudden, dizzying sensation that crashed over her. The ground fell away beneath them at a breathtaking speed and the wind whipped her hair as Perrin took them higher and higher into the swirling mists. It wasn't until their ascent finally began to slow that Nessa realized just how tightly she was holding onto him. She wasn't about to let go, though; one slip and she would be plummeting back down into the mists, and she had no intention of finding out if Perrin was fast enough to snatch her out of midair.

They slowed some more, and finally came to a halt.

And just as suddenly, they were falling. Why were they falling? The trip up had been dizzying, but exhilarating. Their fall just made Nessa feel sick with dread.

Nessa let out a terrified yelp and buried her face in Perrin's shoulder. If they were going to fall, she would rather not see the ground rushing back up to meet them.

#60 Perrin

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

The cry that Nessa let out as they began to fall was just the sort of reaction that Perrin had been fishing for. Her face pressed tightly against his shoulder was a little unexpected, but altogether not unpleasant. Still focused on the source of metal that he had decided on before the fall began, Perrin forced, not nearly as hard as he had to send he and Nessa rocketing into the sky. They were still descending, but that fall was slowed now to a very bearable rate, and they were also now being pushed off to the east of the shop. Eventually, the metal that Perrin had been pushing against was no longer underneath them enough to be doing any good to them, so he sought out another, this time pushing them back up into the air a little as they continued to move east.

Perrin glanced down at Nessa and smiled softly, "This..." he said, voice barely louder than a whisper, "This is my world, Sweets."

He looked out across Luthadel, naming each keep in his mind as his tin ehanced eyes passed over blurred bits of light in the darkness. How frivolous it was for the nobility to maintain that sort of illumination on their keeps. But, that was a nobles life, wasn't it? Frivolous.

Eventually, Perrin fell into a steady rhythm of pushing, adjusting their path so that they were now curling back north. He did his best to keep them at a fairly steady elevation, not making the pushes too terribly forceful in the upward direction so that Nessa wouldn't get sick from all the changes in direction.

After continuing like this for a few more minutes, Perrin decided to land atop a skaa tenement to allow Nessa a break. He flicked a few coins down beneath him, giving him a few anchors to push off of and make their landing more stable. When his feet did touch down, it was still a little jarring; no landing that Perrin had ever experienced was what he would call 'soft', but this was much better than landing when it was just himself.

"So what do you think so far?"

Posted Image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users