The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

The Calm Before the Storm

W1 D6 LN Nessa Valkyn Venture Perrin Maks Cantos Orlan Ignas

114 replies to this topic

#61 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• Relationship StatusBeginning a Relationship with Perrin

• OriginCentral Dominance Plantation

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:49 PM

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity of falling, their descent slowed, and Nessa braved a peek at the world beyond Perrin's shoulder.

They were soaring through a sea of white mist; other than a few glowing blurs off in the distance, it was the same everywhere she looked. It was almost enough to seem like there were no directions anymore; no up or down to worry about. It was the wind and the lights that were moving, not them.

But they were. Occasionally, when they passed close enough to a large building or a better-lit location, Nessa was able to make out shapes in the darkness. Then a split second later, their flight continued, and the shapes were gone.

It took her a moment to realize they had landed - she wasn't even sure if she was capable of letting go of Perrin at this point, as tightly as she had been holding on, so she just stayed where she was until told otherwise - and even longer to realize she was being spoken to.

"It's... wet," she half-whispered at last, her dazed mind spitting out the first observation that came up. But it got her talking. "And kinda cold. But it's.... different. Strange, but not in a bad way. It really is like a whole new world out here at night, isn't it? And you come out here all the time?" Nessa actually felt a little jealous; she preferred this strange, eerie Luthadel to the cacophony and bustle of its daylit twin. "But how can you find your way around? All I can see is mist, and every now and then a few blurry shapes or a hazy light or two."

#62 Perrin

Member of Lucille Deveaux's Book Club

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:07 AM

Wet? Perrin chuckled at the very Nessa-like answer. "A whole new world is one way to describe it, sure. Not many people get to experience Luthadel like this. I think it's much... better at night, if it can be better at all." He realized he was still holding Nessa in his arms and set her down gently, disliking how empty he felt now that she wasn't clinging to him. "This is when I do most of my work. The mists and darkness keep my anonymity intact," he winked, "Wouldn't be very good for business if people could recognize me in the daytime when I'm out and about."

He walked to the edge of the roof and looked out at the lit keeps that Nessa mentioned, "I can see better out here than you can. Tin's does some pretty amazing things to my senses," he pointed towards Keep Casuana off in the distance, "That's where everything is going to go down tomorrow night," his voice was a little subdued.

Posted Image

#63 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:13 AM

"So tin makes your senses better," Nessa noted to herself, ignoring the disappointment she felt when she was set down. Well, there was one less Allomantic power that was a mystery to her. Too bad she couldn't burn that one, too; it would be nice to actually be able to see where she was going out here. It felt weird enough to be moving on her own again after their flight; the unfamiliar setting and all-obscuring mist made it downright scary.

"That one over there?" she asked a little louder, following Perrin to the edge of the roof to look where he pointed. "It's so huge," she breathed. Whether it was because of the cold or because of the sudden anxious feeling creeping over her about tomorrow, she shivered and drew a little closer. "How are just a few of us supposed to attack something that big?"

#64 Perrin

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:23 AM

"Very carefully," Perrin responded with a chuckle. "Don't worry, Sweets, we've got the best people working with us and Ignas... well as much as I hate to admit it, he hasn't led us wrong yet."

He knew that he was saying these things to reassure Nessa, but part of him felt like he needed it as well. What they were planning on doing tomorrow was a very ambitious mission. One slip up and everything could fall apart. Perrin's role, in particular, was crucial. If that inquisitor caught on to the fact that Perrin was only a distraction and decided to deal with the rest of the skaa at the ball.... he wouldn't be able to protect all of them at the same time. "We'll be fine," he said, more firmly. They had to be fine.

Posted Image

#65 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:37 AM

"If you say so," Nessa sighed, but she didn't feel all that convinced. Well. She was sure Perrin would be fine; so far, he had shown that there pretty much wasn't anything he couldn't do. The man could fly, for the Lord Ruler's sake!

But what about the others? They all seemed like they knew what they were doing, but she couldn't imagine people like Maks or Lan attacking anyone, let alone a noble Keep. And she herself barely knew what she was doing. If anything went wrong, she was more likely to run off and get herself killed or found by the Inquisitors than anything else.

"I'll just be glad when it's over," she continued, rubbing her arms against the wet chill of the mist-filled night. "I hate all this waiting and not knowing."

#66 Perrin

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:32 AM

He smiled at Nessa, relating to her doubts. It was hard to remember sometimes that he used to be the same way as her. Things would change fast for her though. They would have to or she wouldn't last long in this life.

"Well, whatever happens tomorrow, just know that I'll try my best to look out for you when I'm not.... occupied."

Posted Image

#67 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:58 AM

..... he what? Had Perrin really just said he was going to look out for her? Nessa couldn't remember the last time anyone had offered to do something like that for her, and it showed in her expression.

".... you will?" she asked hopefully. "But won't you be too busy? Ignas is making you fight an Inquisitor, right?"

Of course, if anyone could fight an Inquisitor, in Nessa's mind, it would be Perrin. But wouldn't that mean all of his attention would be on that? Of course. It was too much to hope that anyone would want to protect her.

... right?

#68 Perrin

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:38 AM

Perrin laughed, "Yes, I will most definitely be busy. But if I have a spare moment I'll try to check in on you, or at least look to see that you're doing ok as I fly by."

He paused for a moment, trying to decide if he was willing to be a little forward with Nessa. The last thing he wanted was for things to get awkward between them, but... with all that was going to happen tomorrow, Perrin needed to make sure that Nessa was safe. "Um..." he began weakly and cleared his throat, "I know this goes without saying, but... tomorrow during everything, promise me that you'll stay with Ignas or Maks? You still aren't prepared enough to try and take on anything by yourself. I... I don't want you to get hurt."

As his cheeks flushed with color, Perrin was grateful that it was dark. Ever since Ignas had... well, ever since he had made Perrin think about his feelings for Nessa, he couldn't help but feel that maybe Nessa should at least be acutely aware of them. Maybe he was wrong, but it was too late now.

Posted Image

#69 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:45 AM

He was being serious. Perrin was genuinely looking out for her, even with so much else he had to do. Nessa, some random stray the Rebellion picked up off the streets. Even though he himself was going to be doing so much, he still...

It was almost too much for Nessa. Why did he care so much about her? They had only met a week ago, Nessa found herself well and truly trusting, even caring for, the Mistborn named Perrin.

Without realizing what she was doing or why, only that she felt the need to do so, Nessa stepped over and hugged Perrin tightly.

"Thank you," she murmured into his chest. She wasn't even sure if he could hear it, though maybe with his Tin, he would be able to.

She certainly hoped so.

#70 Perrin

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:45 AM

Perrin didn't think is was possible for his face to turn more red, but the moment that Nessa hugged him he felt it flush deeper. What is wrong with me?! Honestly! He wrapped his arms around Nessa in return and smiled when he heard her whisper her thanks. Was that a good sign? Perrin wasn't exactly sure, but he liked the fact that she was hugging him, so he wasn't going to start questioning her behavior.

He wasn't sure what to say in that moment. Everything that came to his mind just seemed like it didn't mean enough. So he gave up and settled with resting his cheek against the top of Nessa's head. After a few moment, he raised his head and looked out towards Keep Casuana again, still holding Nessa close to him.

A wave of dread passed over him as he thought of all that would take place tomorrow, which he was grateful for, in a way. On previous missions he'd felt nervous, certainly, but at the same time it all just felt like a game to him. It didn't really matter much to him before if he was hurt. But it did now. He wasn't sure if anything would develop further between him and Nessa, but because he felt like there was a small chance that something could happen, and it made him feel like life was so much more precious now.

Perrin laughed mentally at himself. What a sap he was turning into. He was probably getting ahead of himself with this whole Nessa situation, but he would worry about that later when he hasn't stressing over whether or not she was going to make it out of the attack tomorrow unharmed.

Posted Image

#71 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:52 AM

Nessa wasn't sure how long they stayed like that, holding on to one another, but while it was an entirely alien experience for her - in more ways than one - it felt right (and also quite enjoyable), so she was more than happy to just stand there, holding onto Perrin tightly. Eventually, though, one of them was going to have to speak.

"I promise I'll try to stay safe," she said at last, still in her unusually quiet tone, "but you have to promise me the same thing." She shifted her head so she was looking up at him. "If it's you, I'm sure nothing bad will happen, but..."

But I'll still feel better hearing it.

"But it's only fair that we both promise, right?"

#72 Perrin

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:06 AM

"Of course, Sweets," he smiled back at her, "I promise not to let the inquisitor catch me."

She hadn't let go of him yet; that was most definitely a good sign. Certainly she wouldn't hug him for so long if she didn't want to. This made Perrin smile more. How long had they been standing there? Probably far longer than they should have, that was for sure. Tomorrow was going to be a big day for everyone, and it wouldn't do for either of them to be tired while trying to cause panic amongst the nobility. But then again, they both could burn pewter. Staying out a little longer couldn't hurt.

Posted Image

#73 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:19 PM

"You better not," Nessa told him. shivering at the thought of what would happen to him otherwise. What would happen to all of them if the Inquisitors found out who he was working with. "It'd be too boring and lonely around if something happened to you. Can you seriously see me chasing Maks or Ignas around the shop with a bucket? It just wouldn't be the same."

She turned to look up at him again. "But, it's you, right?" she insisted, almost-absolute certainty in her eyes. "If anyone can make it out of there alive, it's you."

#74 Perrin

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:39 AM

Perrin pictured Nessa chasing Maks with a bucket and laughed. Something told him it wouldn't but much of a chase. The dressmaker would probably just stand with his arms folded across his chest, disapproving expression on his face. Nessa would probably not even get the chance to dump the bucket on his head before deciding to give up.

"I certainly hope it's me, I'd be concerned if I wasn't... myself," he laughed again, "Don't worry. I don't plan on ending up dead tomorrow night. A week of knowing you is far too short a time," he said a little hesitantly. They may have been too bold of him to say, but it was true.

Posted Image

#75 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:34 AM

Nessa frowned up at Perrin when he laughed at her. She was trying to be nice to him, and he laughed at her! She---

.... what on earth did he just say?

".... I. Uh." Apparently the greater the amount of red in her cheeks the less Nessa was able to talk, because she was definitely stumbling over her words right now. "Yeah. Uh."

What on earth is wrong with me? Speak, woman!

"You're right," she managed at last, grinning up at him mischievously. "A week is too short a time. Lord Ruler, I haven't even won a race against you yet! Neither one of us is allowed to die before I win my race, got it? And no just up and letting me win, either!"

#76 Perrin

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:02 AM

"Sweets, do you honestly think I'm the type to just let you win?" He laughed and unhooked one arm from around Nessa's body, running that hand through his hair. "You've got to know me better than that by now."

Perrin grinned, surprised at how content he could feel with what was looming over them come tomorrow.

Posted Image

#77 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:20 AM

"Good," Nessa told him with a grin. "I'd hate to learn you'd gone lazy on me.

"B'sides, I'm glad to hear you won't let me win just 'cause I told you I wanted to beat you in a race. I can't respect someone who'd give up that easily."

She sighed, and with a pang of regret that she tried to ignore, let one of her arms drop to her side, so that they were standing each with one arm around the other, and Nessa was able to look out at Keep Casuana again.

What had come over her lately? Was she acting like this because of nerves - both from the upcoming mission and the earlier incident with the Inquisitor? - or because she was with Perrin? She definitely acted differently around him than when she was around anyone else or even by herself, to say the least. But why? What made him so special, that she would put on a dress, learn to dance, and willingly venture out into the mists just because he asked her to?

Nessa had a feeling the answer was simpler than she was making it out to be, but she just couldn't put her finger on it.

#78 Perrin

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:35 AM

He grinned and looked down at Nessa, "Winning is something I never give up on easily. If there's something that I want, then ash be damned if I'm not going to get it."

A gust of wind passed over the pair as they stood on the roof, blowing a piece of hair into Nessa's face. Perrin lifted his free hand to brush it back into place, but hesitated for a moment, suddenly becoming aware of just how close they actually were. The tips of his fingers rested lightly against her cheek for no more than a couple heartbeats before Perrin mentally shook himself out of his hesitation and tucked the hair behind her ear, hand lingering for a few more heartbeats. Lord Ruler, have her eyes always been that pretty?

Perrin dropped his hand quickly, turning his face back to look at the city again. How long had they been standing there? Would people back at the shop be questioning where they were?

Posted Image

#79 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:00 AM

As if Nessa's own mental ramblings weren't confusing enough, the sudden and unexpected presence of Perrin's hand on her face was enough to completely derail her thoughts. Though his fingertips only lingered on her cheek for a couple heartbeats, her breath caught in her throat, it felt as though her heart had completely stopped for that small amount of time and had to make up for it afterwards by beating far quicker than normal. Even her breathing became heavier for a moment, and her entire face felt like it was on fire.

She wasn't aware she had let her own free hand drift upwards until she felt her fingertips brushing the place where Perrin's had just been, but she snatched it away as soon as she noticed. The last thing she needed right now was for him to tease her over something like that. But then, even when he teased her, he was usually smiling at her as well...

Lord Ruler, what is wrong with me?

She was almost glad for the sudden chill the wind had given her; thinking about being cold was a welcome distraction from her strange behavior. Well. That, and her own curiosity.

"Oh?" she asked with a grin that tried to mask her flustered expression as she looked back up at him again. "That's an attitude I can respect. But it also makes me wonder... What do you want?"

#80 Perrin

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:39 PM

What did he want? Up until recently the only thing that Perrin had wanted was for the rebellion to be successful in just about anything they attempted. For his sisters to be safe from the same fate that had happened to their mother. But now...

Expression soft, Perrin looked down at Nessa wordlessly. He knew that what he was beginning to want... was her. But saying that out loud to her would probably not get the response that he would want. And then their friendship, new and fragile as it was, would be ruined. His eyes flickered towards her lips, wondering briefly what it would feel like to kiss her. But he almost laughed at the scene he saw unfold in his head of her kicking/punching him if he came at her like that.

No, he couldn't say what he wanted. At least... not yet.

Instead his just stared at her for a few moments, silently. Then, shifting his eyes back out to the city he said quietly, "We should probably head back soon. People may begin to wonder where we've gone."

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users