The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

The Calm Before the Storm

W1 D6 LN Nessa Valkyn Venture Perrin Maks Cantos Orlan Ignas

114 replies to this topic

#81 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• Relationship StatusBeginning a Relationship with Perrin

• OriginCentral Dominance Plantation

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

"Yeah, I guess you're right," Nessa agreed regretfully, though that didn't stop her from leaning on him like she had been. Part of her wanted to stay out here all night, and to the Pits with whatever anyone thought about it. But that would probably be a bad idea; one of the thieves' rules that had governed most of Nessa's strange life was to always get good rest before a job. If you were tired or hung over, you made mistakes and got caught. So as much as she wanted to stay, she knew that Perrin was right.

"Thanks," she said abruptly after a few moments of silence, giving him one last little squeeze. "Y'know, for showing me your world. I hope this won't be the only time," she added with a grin. "You've got me addicted to coming out here, and I'd break my neck in all this mist without you around to actually see where we're going."

#82 Perrin

Member of Lucille Deveaux's Book Club

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:46 PM

Perrin grinned back at her, regretting that he couldn't hold her all night long like this. "Won't be the only time, if I have anything to say about it." He stepped backwards away from her, pulling a few coins out of his pouch. If things worked out well tomorrow night, he'd bring her out here again soon. Maybe they could come out here every night. Perrin smiled at the idea; he would enjoy that thoroughly.

He flicked the coins to the roof below him and held out his hand to her, "Ready to go back?"

Posted Image

#83 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:08 PM

"I guess," Nessa sighed, reluctantly holding her hand out to him. "We do need to get back before the sun comes up, I guess. I just don't wanna."

There was one bright side to going back, though, come to think of it. They would get to fly again.

#84 Perrin

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

After taking ahold of Nessa's hand, Perrin paused a moment before pulling her close to him, "Wait, you don't want to go back? Why not?" He then gently pulled her towards him, getting ready to pick her up and cradle her in his arms again as he had done before.

Posted Image

#85 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:48 PM

Nessa sighed. "Back there is, y'know, normal life," she explained, allowing herself to be led forward. "As soon as we get back, it'll all go right back to the way it was before. There's tomorrow to worry about, and Inquisitors to hide from, and even if everything goes all right tomorrow, then what's going to change? You'll be back doing whatever important things it is you do during the day, and I'll be back to just trying to catch up and keep out of everyone's way.

"But out here..."
She grinned, looking out at the mists one last time. "Out here it's just you and me and the night, and none of the rest of that stuff matters as much. I think if I could make this my world instead of the daytime, I would. But... you probably think that's silly, right?"

#86 Perrin

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

Of course he didn't think that that was silly; he felt exactly the same as she did about wanting the night to be his world. Lucky for him, that wasn't just a wish, it was his reality. He grinned at Nessa as he scooped her easily up into his arms, "Completely silly, Sweets. Not to mention the fact that if your world was just you and me, you'd get sick of me ridiculously fast," he stoked iron and steel to life within his stomach and prepared to push off of the coins underneath him.

"Ready?"

Posted Image

#87 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:31 AM

"At least I wouldn't have to worry about being lit on fire or having my feelings jerked around like some child's toy," Nessa sighed. She should have expected a response like that, honestly.

I guess I really am just a silly little girl...

"Ready," she told him flatly. If she had to go back to reality, she might as well spend less time being teased about not wanting to.

#88 Perrin

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:02 PM

Had he said something wrong? Her mood seemed to have switched faster than Perrin even thought possible. Were all women like this? He stared at her for a moment, an amused/confused grin on his face, then shrugged his shoulders.

As he pushed against the coins beneath him, shooting the pair upwards into the sky, it dawned on him that maybe teasing her in that moment hadn't been what she was looking for in a response. Perrin grimaced slightly, hoping that she would quickly forget about it. After all, the time they had just spent on that rooftop, holding tightly to each other, had been... well, incredible. He studied her out of the corner of his eye as they made their way back towards Lan's shop, admiring her skin, the shape of her cheeks, the sparkle in her eyes.

Perrin began to wonder again what it would feel like to kiss her. Certainly after the way she had been acting on the roof she wouldn't be opposed to it. Right? He landed atop another roof, debating internally about whether or not he should actually kiss her. The ball floated through his mind, reminding him that there was a chance that one of them might not necessarily survive. It was stupid for him not to let her know how he felt. Girls were supposed to like it when men were upfront about things like this, or at least, that was what he had observed and heard from other people.

As he pushed off the roof, Perrin's resolve to kiss Nessa solidify. Here goes nothing, he thought to himself. He turned his face so that he was looking at her more directly, "Nessa, I--" he broke off. He what? Would she think him stupid if he asked permission to kiss her? Knowing Nessa, she probably would. So instead, he looked into her eyes for a few heartbeats and then slowly closed the distance between their faces as they reached the peak of one of his jumps.

The moment his lips met her's, a shiver passed through him. He wasn't aware of anything else in the world in that moment. Only Nessa existed for him in the entire world.

Posted Image

#89 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:52 PM

Nessa blinked in surprise when she heard her name. The only other time Perrin had called her by name had been when he first saw her wearing a dress, and even then, he didn't look like he'd meant for her to hear him. This time, though, he sounded like he was actually addressing her. Was something wrong? She looked up, wondering what he was going to say to her, and the look on his face made her heart skip a beat.

No one had ever looked at her that way before. She couldn't even describe it, except to say that it made her pulse race and a tinge of pink creep into her cheeks. Why was he looking at her like that? Wait, weren't they a lot closer together than they had been a second ago? Why were they getting---

Then his lips met hers, and her world came to a screeching halt.

He was kissing her. He was kissing her! How long had he seen her like this, rather than the silly little girl his teasings implied? How long had he wanted to...? Wait, this was Perrin. For all Nessa knew, it could be just some spur-of-the moment thing. But doing something like this on a whim and nothing more was too much even for him, right?

Time started moving again, and through the sensation of being kissed (which was surprisingly pleasant, despite her feeling of being frozen solid in shock), she was aware of her fist drawing back.

Bloody reflexes! she cursed. Before, the only men who had tried to kiss her were crewmates - drunk or sober - who wanted a lot more than just a kiss. And saying no wasn't good enough; she had always had to fight them off. Add that to years in the underground, and the experience had cultivated an almost involuntary response: get kissed, start fighting.

But even though she was shocked and confused, she didn't want to hit Perrin, of all people! True, she had when they sparred, but that was different. He was the first person in a long, long time with whom she felt comfortable enough - safe enough - to let her guard down around, even just a little bit. And her bloody reflexes were trying to attack him!

That just wouldn't do. She forced her fist to relax, but in her panic, she didn't really think about what she was doing, and her other hand shot across to intercept her arm mid-swing.

It kept her from hitting him, but she also realized a little too late that she had shifted slightly, and was now no longer holding on to him. And there could only be one possible result of her current position:

She was slipping.

((I'll let you decide if Perrin can catch her fast enough, or if he actually ends up dropping her. Have fun! ^_~))

#90 Perrin

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

For all Perrin knew, he had only spent a few seconds kissing Nessa, but it felt like an eternity; a wonderfully, incredibly long forever. He wasn't even aware of the fact that he had closed his eyes at some point during the kiss. The feeling of weightlessness that enveloped him was so much more thrilling than anything he had felt while using allomancy. Too bad kissing wasn't an allomantic power that he could excel at.

A sudden jarring snapped Perrin back into the real world, but it took him a few moments to grasp what was happening. Nessa had slipped from his arms. Apparently while kissing, Perrin had allowed his grip on her to loosen, and she had knocked herself free from his arms somehow. He felt his stomach drop heavily in his chest as he stared down at her.

Adrenaline flooded into his veins and he flared all of his metals, seeking out a source of metal in the right direction so that he could pull himself to her as she fell. He was not going to let her fall. He would never let her fall.

Finding a good enough metal source, Perrin pulled on it hard and hurtled through the swirling mist towards Nessa. Why did it feel like he wasn't moving quickly enough to reach her in time? He felt panic start to churn in his stomach, but pushed it aside, focusing on Nessa's eyes as he flew to reach her.

He didn't realize how fast he had actually been moving through the air until he slammed into her and wrapped his arms tightly around her body. Perrin couldn't think about that right now, the rooftops were accelerating towards them far too quickly. He pushed against the same source of metal that he had used to reach Nessa as he flicked a few coins down into the night below him.

Slowly, steadily, their descent slowed. When Perrin's feet finally touched a roof again, he allowed himself a deep steadying breath. Suddenly aware of how tightly he was holding her, Perrin relaxed his grip and brought both of his hands up to Nessa's face, cupping it between them gently. "How incredibly rude of you, Sweets," he said with a smile, body shaking slightly as the adrenaline still coursed through his veins, "I try and have a special moment with you and you have to go and fall."

Posted Image

#91 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

The sinking feeling in Nessa's stomach as she fell was unlike anything she had exprienced before. True, there was the little prank Perrin had played on her earlier, but then, she had been able to hold onto him. This time, she was horribly, terrifyingly alone.

At least until the mists parted, and there he was, hurtling after her at an astounding speed. Nessa didn't think she'd ever seen anyone - or anything for that matter - move that fast in her entire life. Just as quickly he was there, snatching her out of midair and holding her tightly. She was aware of their descent slowing, but that didn't help her relax any. She was still clinging to him for dear life, as tightly as she knew how.

"I--- I didn't mean to!" she gasped in response to his question, still visibly shaking from the ordeal. "I just... slipped!" Had he not noticed the fact that she had almost slugged him? He really must have been enjoying that kiss. "And in my defense," she added with a hesitant grin, "I didn't exactly know we were even going to have that moment. Next time you try something like that, at least give me some kind of hint you're going to do it. At least, if you're going to try it in midair."

.... wait. Next time? Did I really just say that?

#92 Perrin

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:13 PM

Perrin's face flushed immediately as she responded, but then he grinned mischievously, "So if I'm not going to try it in mid-air you don't need a warning? Noted, Sweets, noted."

He dropped his hands from her face and exhaled deeply, feeling himself calm down more every second. She was smiling. Perrin was definitely going to take that as a sign that she wasn't going to hurt him for kissing her. He didn't think he'd attempt it again tonight, at least not unless she made a move for it first. This was fairly uncharted territory for Perrin, he didn't want to over step any bounds or move too quickly.

Perrin scratched the back of his neck for a couple seconds, trying to come up with something to say. But what could he say? Thanks? Certainly not. Unable to think of anything to say, Perrin cleared his throat and walked over to the short wall surrounding the roof and sank down, leaning his back against it.

Posted Image

#93 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:35 PM

Nessa shifted awkwardly, trying to think of what to do or say next. She had never been in a situation like this before; normally, when someone kissed her, or tried to, it turned into an all-out brawl, not a terrifying freefall through the mists. At last she followed Perrin to the wall and sat down next to him, wrapping her arms around her knees in her usual fashion.

"I was being serious, y'know," she said softly. "Before I joined this group, whenever a man tried to kiss me - and sometimes they managed to; the worst was when they had been drinking - it always meant he was trying to force me to give him more than just a kiss. So it just became this automatic reaction: when they got too close to my face, or if their hands got too close to where their hands shouldn't be, I pummeled them til they either went away or I knocked them out. I caught myself this time, but I really don't want to slip and end up hitting you."

She sighed, sitting there in a bubble of uncomfortable silence. What was she supposed to do now? She couldn't even work out how she felt, let alone what she was going to say next! But she had to say something, so after the silence had gone on as long as Nessa could bear it, she continued.

"It's just... I'm still not used to this whole 'trusting people' thing. The only reason I'm out here at all is because you're the one who brought me. So for something like that, that I only ever knew as, well, what I just told you about...."

She trailed off, unable to completely finish that train of thought, let alone put words to it. She did, however, give Perrin a sidelong look that carried an unspoken question:

Why did you do it?

#94 Perrin

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:57 PM

As Nessa explained herself, Perrin felt a sick feeling start to form in his stomach. She probably just assumed that he was trying to do exactly what those dirtbag crew members of hers had done. Perrin grimaced; maybe he should have asked for her permission after all.

"Sweets... Nessa, I--" Perrin broke off. He wasn't sure what to say. An apology would sound sort of hollow right now. He glanced at her, feeling a little ashamed of himself, but she didn't look angry. Confused, yes. She deserved an explanation, no matter how weak it might sound. "I never want to make you uncomfortable or feel like you can't trust me. I don't want to be like the scum that you've dealt with for years; you deserve far better."

"It's just... with the attack tomorrow... even though we both promised to be safe, there's a chance that something could happen to one of us, and well, I didn't want to risk you not knowing that I... that I care about you, Sweets. A lot."

There, he hadn't apologized. Apologizing would mean that he wanted to take it back, but he didn't.

Posted Image

#95 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:28 AM

"I-" Nessa began, but cut off. What on earth was she trying to say?

"I'm... relieved to hear you say that," she finished at last, but inwardly kicked herself. What kind of weird answer was that! Well, she'd already opened her mouth, so she may as well keep going. Maybe she would start to make sense in an hour or two if she kept trying.

"Even from the beginning, I thought you were different from those men. I mean, if you wanted to, you would have had plenty of chances by now to try something. But... you never did. Instead, you were always there to explain things that everyone except me seems to know, and every time I needed someone, you were there. I'm just some nobody who got picked up off the street because someone noticed what I can do, but you still... I told you that I didn't want to react the way I did, right? The reason I slipped in the first place is because my hand moved by itself, and I tried too hard to stop it. I..."

A sudden cough interrupted her speech, but after a moment or two, she was able to collect herself and keep going. "You know I only talk like this when I'm with you?" she asked with a shy grin. "So... sorry if I make no sense. I just... I don't even know what I'm trying to say anymore," she sighed. "You might tease me about this-" the look in her eyes warned him that he had better not "- but I can't even tell you how I feel, because I can't figure it out myself. All these new things and new feelings and gah! I just... don't even know what's going on in my head anymore.

"But,"
she added shyly, smiling up at him, "I don't know what you'd call it, really, but you're... special to me, I guess you could call it. I... care a lot about you, Perrin, even though you've teased me every time I mentioned it. After all," she added with a grin that was more like her usual self, "I actually let you kiss me. That's the first time that's ever happened, so don't look so guilty. Just... don't surprise me too much. I might not catch myself next time," she finished with a wink.

#96 Perrin

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:37 AM

Perrin grinned back briefly at Nessa, taking in her response to what he had said. Obviously what she had said was... positive, if only slightly. She didn't seem to be opposed to the idea of a future kiss either, which was good? For whatever reason, Perrin found himself regretting the kiss. Certainly he didn't regret telling her that he cared about her, but now he felt that he may have been a bit hasty. Why was this so confusing? Why was he even worrying about why it was confusing? A beautiful girl had basically just given him permission to kiss her again. For now, he would push aside his worries; he could sort them out after they both got through the attack tomorrow night.

"I'll keep that in mind," he said. Perrin tilted his head back a little bit, trying to see the stars through the mist, "I'd, uh, appreciate it if you didn't mention any of this to anyone just yet," he said after a moment, "Not that I don't want people to know or anything, but... I'm sure there will be a few people that won't exactly approve."

Posted Image

#97 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:52 AM

"Oh?" Nessa asked, scooting closer so she could rest her head on his shoulder. Another fit of coughing racked her frame, but she ignored it and continued with what she had been saying.

"You mean people like Ignas?"

#98 Perrin

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:36 AM

He stiffened a little when he felt Nessa's head touch his shoulder, but immediately relaxed. A grimace crossed Perrin's face at the mention of the obligator, "Yes, Ignas. Maybe others. I suppose we won't know until someone finds out," he replied. Though in a way, Ignas had already voiced his... opinion.

And he wasn't quite sure if he approved of whatever this was yet either. In a way he felt sort of selfish for 'pursuing' this, but at the same time, if he had found a way to be happy, could anyone really blame him for seizing it?

Stop thinking about this, he scolded himself. Couldn't he just enjoy the moment that he was in? As far as Perrin was concerned, the rest of the world could cease to exist so long as he and Nessa could stay together like this. He smiled, letting his worries and troubled thoughts fade away, focusing instead on the soft pressure on his shoulder.

Posted Image

#99 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:40 AM

"Others?" Nessa asked curiously. "Who else would disapprove?"

She frowned, trying to think. Other than Ignas.... well, she was sure Maks wouldn't like that they were running around all night, but she would be surprised if he disapproved of them being together.

"Well, it doesn't matter if they approve or not," Nessa said at last. "It's not gonna change how I feel."

#100 Perrin

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:01 AM

"Well, some of your instructors might disapprove. Apparently spending time with me makes you even less punctual than you are normally," he laughed.

Perrin smiled, completely content. It was hard for him to think that this time tomorrow, their world could potentially be changed completely whether for good or ill.

He shifted her a little bit so that he could wrap his arm around her as they sat, "We still should probably head back soon. That cough of yours doesn't sound so good."

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users