The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Shae

12 replies to this topic

#1 Shae

Skaa

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:33 AM

"SHAE AMIENAH"
Noble Mistborn

Player Information
Handle : Oblivion

Character Information
Name: [Shae Amienah
Type: Noble Mistborn
Marital Status: Single

Powers
Type of Powers: Allomancy
Metals Used: All
Degree of Skill: Tin: Near Savant; Pewter: Advanced; Iron, Steel, Zinc: Intermediate; Bronze, Brass: Novice; Copper: Beginner.

Appearance
Hair: Blonde page combed back to leave his face bare, save for one lock.
Eyes: Real: Deep Blue, Official: Near-white with dark-gray outlining for the pupil.
Height: 5?8??
Weight: 158 lbs.
Voice: Shae speaks in a baritone pitch, which is enhance by his musical accent and tendency to end every sentence one high note. His voice is generally filled with enthusiasm and joy, as if he savors every word, yet somehow calm and quiet, something generally attributed to his well-known ability to burn tin.

Overall Appearance: Shae is born and bred nobleman, his posture always impeccable, his clothing always clear of ash and his face always cleanly shaven. He is generally considered very attractive but, however, somewhat dismissible due to his friendly face, always lined with a warmhearted smile. He usually dresses in the suits commonly associated with nobility, but prefers a light-gray color with splashes of color in the lapel and his vest. In addition to this attire, Shae is rarely seen without his black cane, vaguely similar to a dueling cane, or a pair of thin, polished leather gloves. Whenever outdoors he also dons a pair of blacked-out spectacles in order to shield the same disability he accentuates at the balls.
Though known to be blind, Shae always wears a pocket-watch slightly altered to allow him to discern the time in spite of his lack of sight.

Other
Special Skills: Etiquette, dueling, sneaking, lying, finance, reading people, socializing, dancing, singing, acrobatics.
Strengths: Shae appears to the observer as an openhearted, simple and truthful man. His disability and somewhat submissive manner makes him easily dismissible, though still easily recognizable thanks to his odd clothing, mannerisms as well as his blindness. He is widely considered both honorable and humble, though this in no way hinders him in his obligations, as he expects perfection from those under his supervision but always give credit and reward where it is due. The skaa generally regard Shae as one of the better noblemen, as his leniency toward his workforce is known.
Most of Shae?s mannerisms are an illusion, though of the same kind as the emotional control of a soother or rioter, enforcing his public image through actual honesty and humility in order to shelter larger lies, more vital secrets. Rather than being weak and dismissible, Shae is a skilled combatant, relying heavily on his skill in both tin and pewter to give him an edge to most opponents. He is decisive and cunning, shielding his riots through powerful gestures and carefully reading his target.

Weaknesses: As an effect of Shae?s mannerisms, his social standing amongst the local nobility is much lower than it could be. His reputation for honesty makes other noblemen fear that he would reveal their secrets, should they confide in him and some of the more plotting members of the court tend to read lies into his supposed honesty. Although he could be one of the most sought-after noblemen, his well known blindness has allowed him to only rarely accompany a lady to a ball, let alone court one. His leniency towards the skaa have made most of the nobility think of him as somewhat weird and frowned upon. His common absence from the balls for various mercantile deals and tutoring has done little to aid him in acquiring higher social standing.
The most obvious of his physical deficiencies is his presumed blindness. This is not entirely true, however, as Shae has regularily ingested the drug "Misteyes?. The effects of the drug has caused him to acquire a small degree of sight, which he is able to significantly increase by burning tin. The drug causes him to suffer from mindnumbing headaches once every thirteen days that only burning pewter can make the headache subside. Shae never attends any social functions on such days, as he does not wish to reveal his status as a Mistborn.

Personality
hae is a man driven primarily by a sense of duty towards his house and family and would go to great lengths to protect both them and their house?s standing. Although driven by duty, he is also a perfectionist who demands excellence from every action he is to take upon which is the primary reason he insists on inspecting the House?s operations and activities, as that is something he has quickly understood.
As previously mentioned, Shae is, at core, an honest and humble man that wishes few people harm, skaa or noble. He is, however, also a realist, a part of him that understands that if he does not strike first, any of those around him will attack his family at the first sign of weakness and thus see it as his duty to see to it that his house strikes first.
One of the things that pains Shae most is the fact that to this day he has been unable to sustain an extended relationship, though he has tried several times. Though most try to discuss him out of ear-shot, he is still painfully aware of the things the court-rumors say about him, though his frequent absences quiets most of those rumors because of lack of relevance.

History
Shae was born to the House of Amienah, a house of rather high standing within the local politics with a steady flow of boxings from their various mercantile agreements centered in the Western and Central Dominances. It was a house powerful enough not to ignore, but not strong enough to fear, an enviable position in the scavenger-like politic environment of the Luthadel court.

Shae?s birth was initially seen as both a curse and a blessing, as he was the first son born to his aged parents, well formed and healthy. It was soon realized, however, that the child was blind, a very serious impairment for a noble who were to inherit a mercantile empire. He was, however, the only son, and was, as such, raised to be prepared for the task, as it was not likely they would have another son.

Unlike most noble children, Shae did not receive the customary snapping-beating. He snapped on accident.

While with one of the several teachers Shae had been enlisted to his teacher was forced to leave Shae unattended for a few minutes. This gave Shae, who was a very energetic child in spite of his impairment, the time to approach the open window and subsequently plummeting to the ground. The young boy was seriously injured, suffering from several bone fractures. Shae was only 6 at the time.

This disaster proved to be a blessing in disguise, however, as he was quickly identified as a mistborn by his parents. Instead of announcing this to the rest of the house, however, they chose to hide it and train him secretly, his father bringing his son with him on several ?business trips?, where he was trained by several trustworthy mistings in the art of Allomancy, starting with a tineye. Shae?s father, Lord Arelon, quickly realized that there was a chance that Shae could learn to overcome his impairment by burning tin, instead giving him the touch, smell and hearing required to perform his duties as heir.

In spite of his father?s secrecy, the secret that his son was an allomancer was something he couldn?t keep from the House-members for long. Not only did they have their spies following the actions of the House-leader, but Shae?s ability to seemingly ignore his blindness was seen as a dead give-away by not only the House-members, but also spies from other Houses. In order to cover up the fact that his son was, in fact, a mistborn, Arelon managed to spread the rumor that the heir of Amienah was a tineye, proceeding to scold the young Shae into understanding what he?d have to do for his House. He?d have to lie, to feign weakness and, someday, even kill. This is one of the earliest memories that Shae can still recall in its entirety.

Soon after Shae?s 10th birthday, Arelon had finally managed to procure a physician loyal enough to be entrusted with the secrets of House Amienah, yet skilled enough in not only medicine and Allomancy, but also with the correct knowledge of toxins and antidotes. The physician, Armand Mareaux, a distant relative to Arelon and a House member of their strong ally Mareaux, was honored to be able to work in Luthadel itself and, though in his late twenties, grew fond of the young boy. Armand shared the high education of his House and had managed to manufacture the rare drug ?Misteyes? that slowly managed to bring back some degree of sight to him. This drug is one not widely known, but among those who are not blind it causes only light intoxication, while it gives blind only marginally enhances their eyesight to the point where they are able to discern sharp lights and close shapes. As it is very dangerous to ingest in great quantities, most physicians generally regard it to be useless.

What they are unaware of, however, is that those who are blind and skilled with burning tin can use this drug to drastically improve their eyesight. While burning tin, such a man would be able to see a few feet forward, although blurred. Such a man flaring tin would be able to acquire sight equal to that of a seeing man. Should this man be a savant, however, the range is not increased; instead it allows him to see things within the same range with the same detail as a seeing man burning tin.

At first, both he and his family rejoiced in this fact, Shae taking in all the glory of creation from the red sun to the black ash. He still cannot recall a moment more precious to him than the first time he turned his eyes towards the sky and realized he could see. It did not take long, however, until his father started planning again. He quickly reached to the conclusion that although Shae could see, it would be profitable for the House if this fact was not to be known to the Luthadel court, for, as Shae would quote countless times later, ?A feigned weakness can be just as powerful as a hidden strength?. So, Shae continued to practice the mannerisms of a blind man and kept himself from flaring his tin, though he wanted nothing else than to watch all the beauty of the world the Lord Ruler had forged.

And so, Shae?s journey from light to obscurity began, the mists the only place in which he would be able to return to the light again?

Roleplay Sample
Shae?s head throbbed. The young noble sighed heavily as leaned back against the back of his chair, thankful that the soft fabric could give him some reprieve from the constant pain. In a way, pain had become his life. Pain and obscurity. He reached slowly for his glass of wine, careful not to topple it over, and raised it to his mouth to savor its contents. He knew that few would understand how difficult even actions of such simplicity were to him. Catering his most basic needs was a process so intricate that it was difficult not to dine with perfect manners, as even a slice of meat just a bit too large, or one with just a fraction of too much sauce, could easily cause disaster. It was also a very painful process, as the metal of the cutlery would feel like knife-cuts in his sensitive hands. Flaring tin continuously could be very dangerous, his teachers had told him, and he was inclined to agree with them. But still, he was thankful to the flame burning in him. He knew that without it, even these rudimentary acts would require much more precision, and he would probably have to be lead wherever he went. It was better this way.

He gracefully rose from his seat and simply left the empty plate and empty glass to be taken care of by the kitchen staff and smiled kindly as he turned his attention towards the well-lit ballroom, concentrating on the different conversations held upon and around it. Though he was known to be blind, that didn?t excuse him from taking part in the intricate workings of Luthadels politics, at least not too often.

He technically wasn?t blind, but that wasn?t something that he was about to tell anyone. A feigned weakness can be just as strong as a hidden strength he thought to himself, as he walked towards the ballroom, the comforting sound of the cane on the marble floor guiding his steps. He soon located the familiar voices of Braedon Mareaux and Kien Jadore, members of two lower Houses, and made his way toward them, easily making his way through the edge of the ballroom towards a table of refreshments. People always seemed surprised that Shae was able to move through a crowd with such ease, but Shae knew that even if his tin should fail him, even the fine noblemen and ?women of the court would move aside to allow him free passage. Especially since he, technically, outranked a lot of them.

?Ah, Lord Shae, I?m glad to see you?ve returned from the Western Dominance.? Kien greeted Shae, and Shae could easily determine that the man was smiling as he tilted his head slightly, to honor the two men.

?You?ve missed a lot, Shae.? Braedon proclaimed in his somewhat abrupt manner.

?Thank you Lord Kien, it?s refreshing to be back in Luthadel,? he replied while giving the two men a brief courtly bow. ?Ah, and Lord Braedon, I sincerily hope you won?t mind enlightening me about the matters I, unfortunately, have been unable to tend to.?

Odd? I actually HAVE missed this place. That?s a new, Shae thought to himself as Braedon and Kien filled him in on the events of the court. Nothing he didn?t know already, of course. What good would a tineye be if he couldn?t eavesdrop on a few conversations while dining? Tineye? I?ve always found that expression somewhat? ironic.

-------------------

I have refrained from choosing a House, as I was not certain which houses in which there is a position open for a character such as this one. My aim is not an incredibly powerful house, nor a weak one, but strong enough not be ignored, but weak enough not to be that big a threat. As this is only a general character concept, I did not wish to make too big a fuzz by poking around until the concept itself was considered solid enough.

I hope this read has given you some pleasure.
Kind regards
Oblivion

Edit1: Changed the cause for the miraculous healing, House name and a few minor details. :)

Edit 2: The last four paragraphs of the history altered.
Edit3: Edited the weakness section describing his blindness.

#2 Chaos

High House Noble

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:48 PM

My major issue with this application is that tin couldn't grant eyesight. It enhances senses, but you can't enhance something you never had. That is not consistent with the framework of the magic system.

Also, I'm curious how you can make a pocket watch which blind people can use.

As for the House thing, go ahead and make your own powerful Minor House. That'd be fine with me.

#3 Shae

Skaa

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

Well, that's not the actual reason, but rather attempts of the bystanders to explain it. It was initially part of my brainstorm, as I wanted his eyesight to return, but could not come up with a solid reason how this would occur. The other reasons I thought of was simply growing out of (which seemed less plausible) and experimental medication. In hindsight, I should probably have chosen that route.

And about the watch, I initially intended him to simply wear it for decoration, but as I thought more about it, I came up with a rather simple way to allow him to actually use it. Rather than including an hourplate, such a watch would be smooth, it's sides lined with slits, representing the numbers 1-12. Along the sides, just a few millimetres from the slits, runs a narrow opening into the clockwork, form which two markers extend, the one indicating hours being slightly larger than the one indicating minutes. The blind man/woman would then be able to read the time by simply sliding his/her hand across the watch.
I hope that made some sense, or atleast gave some slight indication of my intention.

I hope there was nothing else that was nonsensical.

#4 Chaos

High House Noble

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

At this point, the miraculous healing of his blindness is the only issue. It destroys suspension of disbelief that you have that much more to rationalize.

#5 Shae

Skaa

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

Changed

#6 Shivertongue

Chunky the Mistwraith

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:44 AM

If I may interject...

It'd be interesting if the experimental drug gave him eyesight that was the equivalent of someone who's legally blind. Able to see, technically, but so poorly he can't distinguish anything other than that which is very close. Thus, burning Tin, instead of giving him enhanced vision, gives him vision equal to someone with normal eyesight.

If that were me, I'd likely become a Tin Savant within the week.

Anyway, just an idea. Carry on.

#7 Shae

Skaa

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:24 PM

That's actually a really good idea! I'll work on it, but it sounds like a great addition.

Thanks, Shiv! :D

Edit: Updated the mainpost.

#8 Chaos

High House Noble

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

I'm not intentionally disregarding your application at this point, I'm waiting for Camille's input.

She's kind of busy with this whole "getting married" thing ;)

#9 Shae

Skaa

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

Well, that's reasonable, and marriage is probably the most sound excuse one is ever going to find! :P

As it's only been a couple of days I wasn't really expecting to get an "in" just yet anyway. Just for my information, though, as I've already started writing a draft for the House description I'd like to know if it's better to put it off until accepted or not?

Kind regards
Mr. Ben Underwood

#10 Niro

Magnus Venture's Desk

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:51 AM

Shae, I made you a 100x100px avatar because I saw that you did not have one. I was also bored.

Here.
user posted image

#11 Shae

Skaa

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

Thanks, Niro! I'm still trying to learn how to reformat pictures, but I can't really work photoshop :P

#12 KChan

Atium Chandelier

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:11 AM

Okay, sorry for the wait. Both Chaos and I have a lot going on with school, so it's been hard to keep track of everything over here.

Anyways, you've done a lot of work on this character, and we all very much appreciate that. However, Chaos and I still have reservations about Shae's sudden recovery from blindness, and the convenience of such a drug even existing. If you wish to have him exist as he currently is, my suggestion to you would be to edit his history so that he has always been legally blind, but able to distinguish blurred shapes and colors, such as how he became after taking the drug.

The drug, meanwhile, can exist as part of his character as a way to experiment with gaining eyesight, with the caveat that it either does nothing or the effects have - so far- been negligible. I do like how you wrote it in his RP sample, but its existence as it is now is just too convenient to be believable. Sorry.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Shae

Skaa

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:57 PM

Well, I've been under similar conditions myself, so no worries.

I've actually pondered alot on that part of the character myself during these few weeks and have a few ideas for how to improve on that aspect which I intended to add to the description before bumping it. I've done some limited research into real-life situations (such as the miracle of Ben Underwood), which should make the whole situation more plausible. I guess you beat me to the punch.

As the character is built around a concept which I found entertaining, the specific details are not what matters most, and I really like some good critique :P

I'll let you know when I've taken a decision on the specifics, which will lead to an alteration in the character's background etc.

Thanks!
Shae

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users