The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

The Casuana Ball, Part I: Arrival

195 replies to this topic

#1 Mia Casuana

• Lady of House Casuana

High House Noble
  • Age27

• Relationship StatusMarried to Julian Casuana

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:18 PM

Just barely on schedule, Mia took a quick moment to sit in the North Parlor, and take a deep breath. Delzen would be so proud. The chandelier was up. The cooks were almost finish preparing the food. The Keep? Dazzling. The guards were prepared. Everything would go fantastic.

Yet Mia's heart raced.

She had the feeling, in the pit of her stomach, that everything was wrong. Camille should have been with her now. Julian should have been with her. But everyone was away, despite the fact they would all coalesce in this one building tonight. It filled Mia with fear.

"My lady," a servant said. "The first of the carriages has arrived. And, um... one is a Ministry carriage."

Wonderful. "Well, I suppose I shall go to the Grand Gallery and meet that Inquisitor before Everett does. Did we ever find out who the Inquisitor would be? Nevermind, you wouldn't know."

She collected her breath, and began to walk down to the Gallery.

"Let's not let them into the atrium just yet. At least, not until more arrive. I have a surprise for them."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Ignas

• Architect of the Rebellion, the Shade

High House Noble
  • Age46

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginWestern Dominance

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:18 PM

Ignas thought of fire.

Though it was an impossibility, he imagined the mists themselves aflame. Instead of their white comfort twirling about, a storm of flames would sear through this ruined city. His flesh, and his rebel children's flesh would melt away. Somehow, Ignas felt that would be acceptable.

The thought of fire comforted him. It gave him power.

Ignas knew he was no fighter. He relied on surprise and less than typical tactics. More importantly, he relied upon zeal. Fire gave him that power. Tonight, things would burn.

He and his rebels worked their way down into an underground chamber a few blocks away from Keep Casuana. Luthadel did not have a tunnel system throughout the whole city, which made rebellion work challenging. Few skaa could actually get in and out of Luthadel unnoticed, though it was possible. The area around Keep Casuana, probably by Lucius Casuana's design, was in a different, older region, where centuries-old structures had sunk. Luthadel, of course, was the oldest city in the Final Empire, and despite the minerals in the earth and generally hard ground, buildings still sunk, creating a tunnel system here. One could never tell that these were, in fact, streets, as everything changed perspective underground. It was a bizarre complex route, most areas totally collapsed. If any skaa knew about this area, they'd get lost, or die.

Ignas had no intention of doing that tonight. This merely acted as an excellent staging ground, as well as an escape route out of Keep Casuana, for the tunnels under the Keep exited into this area. Topside, they were a bit further from Keep Casuana, by Ignas's design. Nearer to the Keep, there would be Casuana guards. However, Ignas's contact showed him the quickest route from here to the Keep. He would exit this way. He'd planned on a small rearguard here, not his whole group, but some things were out of his control at the moment.

The Ball would be starting, if it hadn't already. Now was time to brief his group.

"I've brought you here because our original staging ground was compromised," he said without inflection. "There's a traitor in our midst. I apologize. Fortunately, there's few details of the attack that would be compromised as well, so the attack goes on schedule. I haven't given you many details, but now is the time. They will simply be slightly altered, due to that problem."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:13 AM

As her carraige pulled up to Keep Casuana, Daerra ran all her plans through her head, making sure she had forgotten nothing. She resisted the urge to glance over to Mikhail again. No need to make him suspicious. If her plan was to work, no one could be suspicious.

The coach stopped and a foot man helped her down. As she straigtened, she gave herself a quick check in the window of the carriage. She had spent the entire afternoon preparing; it would be a shame to ruin it all after less than an hour riding in a carriage. Her hair was done in curls. Those had taken the most time. Her dark hair was usually thin and had little volume, but tonight it curled. She had it done half piled on her head, and half hanging down over her right shoulder. It was all held in place by an ornate silver clip. A few smaller ringlets framed her face nicely, but would not be distracting on the dance floor.

Her make-up was light, accenting her strong points rather than covering up her weak ones. Her dress was a silvery grey colour that worked with the make-up to make her eyes instantly noticeable. The sleeves were long and billowy around her bare hands, but the neckline revealed her shoulders. The bodice and waist were snug, accentuating her tiny waist and subtle shimmering white embroidery played around the hem, cuffs, and sides. The skirts were narrower than most, and rather simple by comparison, but they responded to her slightest movement, and would swirl nicely when she turned on the dance floor.

For jewllery, she wore a twisting golden necklace for contrast, as the current fashion dictated, and silvery drop shaped earrings made from the atium from the geologist's safe. They were a minor thing, a show of wealth in uncertain times, and she doubted any more than a handful would be able to tell what they were made of for certain, but that handful would murmer quietly to eachother, and House Elariel's reputation would benefit. A small plan, but it always paid to have more than one. Tonight she had plans within plans within plans.

As she stepped out of the carriage she was already buring bronze. Her mission as a seeker at every ball she attended was to discover the identity of hidden allomancers. It would be difficult, with the amount of copper she knew would be burning there, but she seldom left a ball without at least one new name to give to her father and uncle. The task did not require much attention, she burned bronze almost constantly anyways. Her third plan would be what needed her focus.

She motioned JinJin to her side. He wore his Terrisman face tonight. Behind her, Claudia and Mikhail were still exiting the carriage. "You'll prepare the wine as instructed?" Daerra whispered, hoping that if Claudia was burning tin, her cousin wasn't focusing on her conversation with the kandra. She had to talk to him now. There would be far more allomancers once she got into the keep, and she had to make sure all was ready.

"Yes mistress," JinJin bobbed happily instead of nodding. "One quarter wine, and three quarters water for every glass I pass into your hand."

Daerra nodded, not daring to risk a reply. Claudia of all people couldn't be alowed to know what she was planning. If things were to go off exactly as she planned, she was going to have to do some serious manipulation. If things didn't go according to plan... she would need her wits about her even more. But who could expect a poor noblewoman who drank too much of such a plot? That was where the wine came in. With a little in her system, Daerra knew she could pull off a convincing semblance of drunkenness, but by watering it down, any observer would think she had far more than she actually would. Any witnesses would remember her being far to intoxicated to suspect, while she remained mostly clear headed. A small detail, but if there was an investigation, the small details could become the most important ones.

She waited for Claudia and Mikhail to catch up before making her way towards the Keep. Aaron and Phyra, and possibly more importantly, her father and mother would be in one of the carriages behind them. She turned to her cousins, and added a sparkle to her eye. Any nobleman worth his title could see through a smile that didn't reach the eyes. The key was convincing yourself you felt the way you wanted to. "Let's hurry Claudia, I want to be one of the first in. Who knows what Lady Casuana has in store for us tonight!?"

#4 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:25 AM

Aaron sat across from Phyra in their carriage. They were alone. His suit was neatly pressed and fitted, and his hair was perfectly styled. He didn't feel ready at all. The carriage jostled as it went over a bump. Now's the part where I say something charming, he reminded himself. It was funny how rarely he said things at the moments when he was supposed to.

"Your gown is magnificent," he said. "And I must ask how you were able to get your hair to be that shade of red. It's really quite stunning."

And now's the part where she says something back that will put me at ease. He hoped she'd gotten her script for the evening, because he certainly hadn't.

#5 Nevan Venture

• Heir to House Venture

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

"If you like the Deveaux girl so much, then hurry up and court her already. Think of Venture's future, boy. She'd be a valuable asset."

Nevan's father had told him that tonight, not long before it was time to set out, while handing him a silk handkerchief dyed in the pattern of House Venture's sigil. Was Nevan really supposed to give this thing to Camille? He might as well call it a gift from his father, ask her to form an alliance with Venture, and be done with it! Honestly. Ellsworth Venture was a brilliant businessman, but Nevan's Mother, Ammeline, was far better at interpersonal matters. But even she had reminded him that he was of the age to marry, and needed to pick a suitable bride soon if he still wanted any choice in the matter.

And then there was Camille herself. So far Nevan had enjoyed the time he spent with her, but with relations just recently thawing out between their two Houses, the woman was still a complete stranger to him. She could be some sort of secret Mistborn spy and he would never know it!

He chuckled to himself at the thought; the idea of petite, socialite Camille prowling across the rooftops of Luthadel in a Mistcloak was simultaneously ludicrous and bone-chillingly terrifying.

Still, he thought as he tucked away that ridiculous Venture handkerchief and leaned back in the seat of the carriage, it would be something to think about, at least. After all, she was quite pleasant...

"My Lord," his attendant's voice interrupted, "We've arrived at Keep Deveaux."

As was proper, since they were attending together, arrangements had been made for Nevan to pick up Camille from Keep Deveaux, and for them both to ride to Keep Casuana together from there. It took longer than just meeting up there, but it was the gentlemanly way of doing things. It would also give them a chance to speak privately, and without the noise of a ball to distract them. His mind was everywhere but where it needed to be as he was shown to the entryway to wait for Camille. He thought about their walk through the square the other day, what kind of music would be played at the ball, how many noblewomen Aldwin would gather, whether or not Efram would acknowledge his existance...

... and then she entered. Snippets of conversation flashed through his mind, the voices of various friends and acquaintances calling out to him from the past. Lovely, they had called her. Quite a catch, one had said. They had obviously never seen her looking like this.

She had chosen a luxurious gown in the typical Deveaux shade of midnight blue, but the fabric shimmered as she moved in a way he wasn't used to seeing. It was almost iridescent. The fitted bodice - a sleeveless, off-the-shoulder cut - accentuated her figure, and the extremely full skirts were made of layer upon layer of the shimmering fabric, draped and tucked this way and that so that they moved and swayed with her every movement. Occasionally he caught sight of a bit of black lace, but it was barely noticeable against the dark blue of her gown. Some of the drapes and tucks were held up with what appeared to be pins set with crystals or diamonds, and diamond jewelry accented her neck, wrist, and ears. There were even some in her hair, set here and there among her curls. Even her makeup seemed different somehow, more dramatic, though he of course knew very little about such things.

"Nevan? Nevan? Can you hear me?"

Nevan blinked. "Eh?"

Camille just smiled. "I said, good evening. How good of you to join me once more, Lord Venture."

Fighting a strange feeling in his stomach, Nevan kissed her white-gloved hand. "How good of you to grace me with your stunning presence, Lady Deveaux. Shall we be off, so we can make all the other men jealous of my inordinately good fortune?"

Posted Image

#6 Camille Deveaux

• Daughter of Lord Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age18

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:23 AM

Camille smiled inwardly at Nevan's reaction as he helped her into his carriage. She always made herself look as nice as possible for balls, but she had put extra effort into her appearance tonight. Her gown had originally been for the Deveaux ball coming up, but as soon as her date with Nevan had been finalized, the order had been rushed, causing the gown to nearly double in price. It had proven worth every boxing, though; she didn't think she would ever forget the look on his face when they first saw each other.

Nevan himself looked quite handsome, come to think of it. He was wearing a black suit, instead of his usual white coat, and his silver brocade vest coordinated with her gown nicely, as well as looking quite nice with his eyes. Camille smiled; they would make quite the pair on the dance floor.

They chatted a little on the way to the ball, but it wasn't the relaxed banter she had come to enjoy so much when talking with Nevan; he seemed.... tense... about something. She was tempted to Soothe him, just a little, but decided against it. If things between them went the way their Houses seemed to want, she would have to tell him she was Mistborn eventually. When that happened, she would rather be able to honestly say she had never manipulated him.

Besides, it was more fun to have an effect on people without Allomancy, when possible.

And so, the two of them still making slightly awkward small talk, the Venture carriage pulled to a halt outside Keep Casuana. As Nevan helped her down, Camille noticed a group of Elariels gathering themselves together, seemingly trying to be the first inside.

"Shall we?" Camille murmured, taking Nevan's arm. "I don't want to race anyone, but I'd rather be the first inside at my own cousin's ball."

"Of course," came Nevan's amused answer. "I'm in quite a hurry to get my head chopped off."

Camille grinned; Nevan was finally starting to relax. And so, arm in arm, finally beginning to chat like they usually did, the young pair made their way inside.

Posted Image

#7 Kaylen Hasting

Magnus Venture's Desk

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:32 AM

The outer wall of the Keep towered twenty feet tall, with the inner wall and main tower extending above that. The sloping roofs and monochrome design both portrayed the style of the Southern Dominance. Beautiful, yet harsh and militaristic. And as both Houses Casuana and Hasting had strongholds in the Southern Dominance, Kaylen was here tonight to remind everyone which weaponsmith House was the strongest.

Armed with two of his best swords, hand-crafted, razor-sharp obsidian wrapped around granite cores, as well as a matching pair of daggers, Kaylen wore them on the outside of his clothing, as a display of his superiour craftsmanship. However, should the Casuana guards not allow him to enter so heavily armed, he had a third sword and two more daggers, as well as Phyra's throwing knife, concealed beneath a dark red shirt, complimentary to the shades of his eyes.

His trousers were black and fitted, yet still provided him with maneuverability. Over this went a midnight black cloak with the Hasting sigil emblazoned on the back. However, Kaylen had requested that this cloak hide inside it a miscloak, and sitting in the carriage as he approached the keep, he wondered at the tailor's ingenuiety. Pull on one concealed string, and the outer cloak would drop off, leaving the wispy, mysterious mistcloak. He also had numerous vials of metal concealed about his body. Kaylen's outfit and hidden items said much about his status as a secret House Mistborn.

As the carriage pulled up and Kaylen exited, heading towards the doors to the ballroom stairway, he reviewed the rumors that had been brewing regarding the skaa rebellion. Word on the street was that they were planning something big tonight, and Kaylen fully intended to help is he saw the oppourtunity. He was tired of being looked upon as a simple member of House Hasting, and whilst he wanted to conceal his Mistborn status for as long as possible, helping the rebellion was his priority.

Turning to look at the other nobles arriving, Kaylen was amused at the lengths some went to - particularly the women - to make a good impression. Our culture is so superficial, it's hard to believe that people have worked, been beaten, even died, for us to be able to look nice and throw pretentious parties. He saw a carriage approaching which bore the Elariel flag. Aaron, and Phyra.

Entering through the doors, copper and tin burning lightly, and gaining nervous looks from the stewards regarding his obvious weapons, Kaylen shot one last glance over his shoulder, but Phyra was still in the carriage. I guess it's better if we meet in the ballroom. Less chance she'll be with Aaron that way.
Characters

- Kaylen Hasting; Noble Mistborn

#8 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• Relationship StatusBeginning a Relationship with Perrin

• OriginCentral Dominance Plantation

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:32 AM

Nessa frowned at Ignas's little speech. He wasn't making any sense, as usual. This so-called plan probably involved lighting things on fire. Or something similar.

"Um, no offense," Nessa put in, "but why does it matter to us if you changed the plan or not? It's not like we'd be able to tell the difference, since you haven't told us anything at all until now."

#9 Phyra Venture

• Rogue Venture Mistborn

MiBoam Obligara the Inquisikandra

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:44 AM

Phyra sat across from Aaron in the cramped carriage. Somehow, it wasn't as grand as she had expected. Perhaps it was that he seemed nervous, but Aaron was less charming than he had been, suave. Or perhaps, she was subconsciously comparing him to her most recent acquisition.

"Your gown is magnificent," he said. "And I must ask how you were able to get your hair to be that shade of red. It's really quite stunning."

Phyra winked at him knowingly. "Lord Elariel, you of all people must know a lady never divulges the secrets of her beauty, else it becomes mundane. I thank you for your kind compliments, however.

That vest is quite dashing, and I do not believe I have ever seen that color before. What is it called?"

Other Characters: Brand,Valkyn Venture, Fenna, Lian Vaunter

#10 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:51 AM

"Ah, so you depend on the petty tricks of your gender then," said Aaron, feeling more like himself. "I should have known such beauty could not come naturally. As for the vest, I like to call it blue, but I'm sure my mother would beg to differ." He winked, but was interrupted by the carriage stopping before he could continue.

"It seems we have arrived, Milady, and so I'm afraid your clever retort will have to wait. May I escort you into the keep?" He stepped out of the carriage and offered Phyra his hand. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed Daerra with his cousins. Her gown was simple, especially compared to what Phyra was wearing, but elegant. On a lesser woman it might have made her seem plain, but on Daerra it only emphasized her natural beauty. It was strange how different his sister was from his date, and yet he could acknowledge them both as very beautiful women.

#11 Phyra Venture

• Rogue Venture Mistborn

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:57 AM

Petty? No, he was certainly less charming than he had been before. So, I have no natural beauty of my own? She took his hand and stepped down, hoping he would take her anger for a blush.

She stepped lightly onto the ground, all metals extinguished but ready. Keep Casuana, while certainly magnificent just didn't compare to the majesty of Keep Venture, the careful beauty.

... Just as Casuana and Elariel women could not compare to hers. She straightened her skirts and drew a deep breath to calm herself.

Blue...

#12 Delissia

• Imposter

House Raisaal
  • Age20

• Relationship StatusIt's Complicated

• OriginThe Western Dominance

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:26 AM

Delissia stepped out of her carriage carefully. The courtyard was alreay starting to fill up as the noble lords and ladies of Luthadel arrived. I'd almost forgotten how exciting balls were. It's been so long! Her red curls were pinned back and hung to her waist. Her dress was a bright sort of yellow never seen in nature that made her stand out in the muted colours of the court yard. Her skirts the large billowy sort that swished nicely when she moved. She hadn't been able to afford any fine gems to adorn it, and had to content herself with a bracelet of amethysts for contrast. If only she had been able to carry more boxings with her when she had left that fool Klyde behind!

Calm she said to herself. The Lord Ruler shall provide. She shouldn't even be thinking about the man. She was a young woman at a ball in the greatest city in the world. She had much more important things to think about than some dirty thief. Besides, who did he think he was, intruding into her thoughts like that. Didn't he know she was supposed to forget all about him. It didn't help that she could still picture the way his lips would crook into a slight smile if he saw her gown, or the way his eyes would draw her in... Her pulse began to race.

Calm. The Lord Ruler shall provide. She decided to take in all the other nobles lining the courtyard. She had an excellent memory for faces, and had spent everyday since arriving in Luthadel learning all she could of the nobility there. She glided towards the doors as she observed. There was a certain way to walk in a gown and heels that made one seem like they were gliding. Some women didn't know that, but Delissia did. That striking woman in midnight blue must be the Lady Camille Deveaux, or perhaps her cousin Lucille. Definately Camille, the man on her arm was most certainly Nevan Venture. Over there, she spotted two women and a man who had the Elariel look, most likely Daerra and Claudia and one of their brothers. Mikhail, most likely, Aaron was supposedly escorting Phyra Venture.

"I just love balls." sighed Delissia, to know one in particular. Realizing she had spoken out loud, she quickly looked for someone to strike up a conversation with, lest someone think her mad. She spotted a female obligator with a slight smile on her face. She inclined her head, curtsied, and smiled prettily before continueing, "Don't you just love them?"

#13 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:37 AM

Aaron was startled by the stony silence Phyra greeted him with. Did I say something wrong? Forward as she was, Phyra usually loved to banter. What was wrong with her?

Many nobles had already entered the square. After a quick scan, Aaron was relieved he did not see Lucille or Marisha anywhere. He would be glad to see both women later on, but if one of them approached while Phyra was obviously displeased, his night could be longer than he expected.

"So, Lady Phyra. What do you think the Casuanas will be serving us today? I must say I've brought my full appetite. You must be sure to watch me carefully during the meal. In my haste I wouldn't want to spill on my suit." Aaron doubted he would, he was normally very meticulous with his food, but he needed to liven the mood somehow, otherwise this ball would be unquestionably dull. "This vest is such a wonderful blue after all, it would be shame to ruin it."

Aaron eyed his date appreciatively. The gown really was amazing, though it revealed more than he was expecting, even from Phyra. And it left not a single inch of her excellent figure to his imagination. He could see others in the courtyard eying them as well. Between the gold and crystal gown, and the flaming red hair, Phyra was drawing eyes from all over the courtyard. At least Kaylen Hasting isn't one of them. Aaron didn't know why, but ever since his encounter in the square, he felt a twinge of jealousy whenever he thought of the man and Phyra together. He hadn't told Daerra of course, she would never approve of him having any more than tolerance for the woman. He tried to have a more positive outlook. Regardless of the cards he was dealt, he was escorting a beautiful young woman to the ball. He was going to make the best of it.

#14 Phyra Venture

• Rogue Venture Mistborn

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:46 AM

The stares she drew calmed and warmed her. Blue...

The skaa tailor had certainly known what he was doing. The dress was perfect. And it made her perfect. Aaron could take his blue vest and shove it.

Or not... she really needed to calm down.

"So, Lady Phyra. What do you think the Casuanas will be serving us today? I must say I've brought my full appetite. You must be sure to watch me carefully during the meal. In my haste I wouldn't want to spill on my suit. This vest is such a wonderful blue after all, it would be shame to ruin it."

Phyra sighed softly and forced a smile back onto her face. Like anyone would be watching him with anything but envy. Envy for the woman on his arm.

"Hopefully something light, with fish. Hot and spicy on wild rice with those green fruit they ship from the southern isles.

Have you ever sampled Southern food, Lord Elariel?"

#15 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:56 AM

So distant, and a touch... prickly? Aaron was beginning to have the feeling he wasn't even going to enjoy his evening as much as he hoped. Did Daerra say something to her, I wonder? His sister had yet to share any of her plans for the ball with him. All she'd given him were vague hints that she knew how to 'deal' with Phyra, whatever that meant. A few days ago, Phyra had seemed to be all over him, and now she seemed as indifferent as the mists.

"Southern food isn't my favorite, but I suppose it will do," Aaron searched for what else to say. After his encounter with Marisha Nathar, Aaron had been looking forward to not playing the fool, but now he found himself doing it again. He stopped suddenly in the courtyard, and was slightly satisfied to see Phyra stumble slightly. Nothing to lose I suppose...

"Milady, forgive my presumption, but you seem... different, from our previous meetings. Have I done something to offend you? I can't say it wasn't expected, but I thought I'd at least last through the appetizers." He made an effort to meet the eyes that her smile didn't reach. "If I've done something, tell me," he said softly. "I would hate to ruin your evening, and my own, because of some offhand comment."

#16 Phyra Venture

• Rogue Venture Mistborn

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:33 AM

What? Different? Well perhaps she was feeling a bit morose. Why? She was here, she was beautiful, she was drawing stares, she had a handsome man escorting her. She should be giddy.

She wasn't. She was tired and angry and muley. She'd rather grab Kaylen and fly home.

After all that work to get dressed, she just wanted the night over with and the dress torn off.

Stupid ball. Stupid Aaron. Stupid skaa tailor.

Why wasn't the night perfect?

"I'm sorry, my lord. It was nothing you did or didn't do. It's just...

My Uncle... no.

Forget I said anything. I just need a drink.

I'm sure I'll be right as rain, then."

She would be, too. She was sure of it.

#17 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:41 AM

"Forget it. I just need a drink. I'm sure I'll be right as rain then" Aaron nearly stepped back. The woman seemed unsettled. And what was that about her uncle? Aaron could only imagine. Ellsworth Venture was one of the most powerful men in Luthadel for a reason. Men like him, and like Aaron's father and uncle Allistair, saw the world differently than everyone else. And if the way Aaron's father treated his children was any indication, Phyra's uncle couldn't be much better. It was for that reason that Aaron was happy Mikhail would be heir before him. He liked being the person he was, and he never wanted to see the day he became his father.

He focused back on the task at hand. What kind of gentleman was he? His date was unsettled and he was talking to her out in the courtyard. "A drink sounds like just the ticket. Forgive me for keeping you so long milady. You must promise not to let me drink too much however, or you might find me dancing with your lovely ankles."

#18 Claudia Elariel

• Elariel Mistborn

Theatre Spectator
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:21 AM

"I should rather think you'd be suited to be last, cousin," she remarked with one of her small smiles. "After all it is only fitting that the Lady Casuana's closest relatives come into her halls first and if your design is then to make an impact you would be most noticed moving in with grace and elegance at the last, where all eyes can take you in. You look stunning enough to make an impression." Her eyes settled on her cousin's earrings. Claudia held no illusions as to what it was; she had used atium before. The display was audacious and yet subtle. She thought her father might have approved. She stepped closer to Daerra. The gray of her cousin's gown set off the verdant green of her own to good effect and vice versa. The thread-of-silver embroidery on the bodice set off the thin silver ribbons that had been mixed in with her flowing curls until they almost looked like strands of her hair. Usually she would have been board and depressed by now, the carriage ride was generally enough to quell her spirits but tonight she was at ease. She would pay her respects to Mia Casuana knowing that the woman was kind and welcoming. It was a nice change. "Perhaps," she mused, glancing around, "I'll find someone interesting to dance with tonight."

She glanced around the courtyard, taking in the arriving carriages and the splendor of color and motion. Her eyes settled on a young woman with red hair that was very nearly orange. "Daerra...do you know her? I don't recognize her face." Somewhat belatedly she realized she hadn't even begun burning metals. She burnt copper and then bronze and tin. Her father would not thank her if she spent the whole night twirling about and failed to take in any relevant information!

Characters: Claudia Elariel, Jessica Marsdale, Kayla, Adalae Lekal

#19 Jessica Marsdale

• Marsdale Widow

Theatre Spectator
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusWidowed

• OriginWestern Dominance

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:58 AM

The carriage rattled into the courtyard of Casuana Keep. Jessica sat straight backed, gazing out the window. Her dress was a simple sky blue with an unassuming cut. It's light color highlighted the stark black of her hair and the ivory pallor of her powdered down face very dramatically. She had been able to persuade her tailor that enough women would be awash in extravagance, from Elariels to Devouxs to Ventures no doubt. Simple and elegant, then, was to be her byword. She was not escorted tonight, but for once that was by choice. This ball was going to be quite fantastic, there was no doubt about that, and she wanted to be free to dance with many noblemen and engage as many women in conversation as possible. Her family intended to construct a Keep soon; they needed information and allies. With the Hastings contract in their hands she would have to be able to think. She wondered vaguely if she'd run into Perrin Venture tonight. He had been the strangest person she had meant in some while and she was curious about him.

The carriage pulled to a halt and her footman opened the door to help her out. Many lords and ladies were already gathered and awaiting admission. She let her fan dangle loosely from her wrist and took up her skirt just slightly with her other hand so as not to smug it on anything. Jessica took her place in the throng, offering smiles to one or two other ladies.

Characters: Claudia Elariel, Jessica Marsdale, Kayla, Adalae Lekal

#20 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:27 AM

Daerra nodded at Claudia's suggestion, but kept an eye out for her parents anyway. As she watched, Aaron and Phyra stepped out of their carriage, but thankfully they didn't approach her. There would be time for that later, but not yet.

"You are too generous, cousin," she said to Claudia's extravagant compliment. She focused on the way her mother sometimes made her feel, and blushed prettily. "Did you see Camille? She must have spent a fortune on that gown!" Claudia responded and gestured towards a red-haired woman across the courtyard.

Daerra eyed the woman in question. It seemed she had started talking to an obligator of all people. She wondered what business the girl could have with the ministry,especially when there were so many nobles to converse with. Was she perhaps a ministry spy conversing with a superior. Daerra doubted it, the ministry was too smooth to have an agent contact an obligator in public. But why approach one without an agreement to seal?

"I haven't seen her before," she said, keeping her tone level. The woman's dress was a brilliant shade of yellow and Daerra felt a twinge of jealousy as she took in those curls. There was little doubt that they were entirely natural. The dress was almost completely free of adornment, and the woman's only jewelery was an amethyst bracelet. "Most likely a country noblewoman, by my guess. Perhaps she is new to Luthadel. Quite bold of her, speaking to an Obligator of all people." She snuck another look around the courtyard. More men and women were arriving. Aaron and Phyra were almost inside, and there was no sign of her father. She could spare a moment. "Perhaps we should rescue the poor girl. What do you think, Claudia?"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users