The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

The Casuana Ball, Part I: Arrival

195 replies to this topic

#181 Mia Casuana

• Lady of House Casuana

High House Noble
  • Age27

• Relationship StatusMarried to Julian Casuana

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:36 AM

Mia snorted lightly. "You seem nice enough, Lady Mraziel. I can't imagine why a Terrisman wouldn't take a liking to you. Rest assured, there's nothing wrong getting a little dirty."

Her eyes widened as the words escaped her mouth. And the evening has barely started, but you start with innuendo. Great.

Mia decided to willfully ignore it, and hoped Tia wouldn't pick up on her own stupidity. Though, with how shy Lady Mraziel was, she probably would not say something to a High Lady even if she noticed it.

Most of the guests had entered into the atrium, and servants entered as well, beginning the dinner. Finally. She glanced to the Casuana table. Fortunately, her idiotic comment did give her somewhat of an out with Lady Mraziel.

"It was wonderful talking to you, Lady Mraziel, but I must get to my table. I do hope you won't be so shy to avoid the dance floor later? I think you will have quite a time." Mia curtsied.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#182 Colette Hasting

• Potential Hasting Heiress

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:25 AM

The sparkling lights, the decadent ballgowns, the beckoning melody of the orchestra - it all blended into an otherworldly experience that was beyond addictive.

There could be no doubt that Colette Hasting was in her element.

As usual, she had a large group table, and was surrounded by her friends. Well, they weren't friends in the usual sense, having been bound to her by contracts and promises, but they were "friends" all the same. Friends watched each others back, did they not? Well. These five woman served Colette dutifully, and her influence gave them shelter from the undercurrents and riptides of the court. At least, it gave them more than they would have had on their own. So, they were friends.

"Can you believe it?" Celestine Beveaux was exclaiming. Her sky blue gown complimented her blonde hair nicely, but it had far too much lace. "Atium! On the chandelier!"

"I've never seen a display so bold!" agreed Teresia Martel, looking quite impressive in a blood red gown despite her diminutive size.

"Arrogant is more like it," put in Colette's cousin, Ferrah Brehaut, smoothing her deep green skirts.

"And you, Eliza?" Colette asked with a grin, singling out the woman on purpose. "What's your take on Lady Casuana's choice of decoration tonight?"

Posted Image

#183 Eliza Fathvell

• Daughter of Lord Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• Relationship StatusCourting Caden Hasting

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:57 AM

Eliza forced herself not to sigh. They had just arrived, and already the tormenting had begun. She had a feeling this would be going on all night, and found herself wishing to be back in Fadrex City, where she had been free to dance the night away without being harrassed.

"It's risky," Eliza said simply, "but it could be effective. Anyone who tries to steal the atium in the middle of a ball would expose himself to attack, as well as reveal himself as an Allomancer. Mia Casuana knows that, so she chose the most audacious display she could think of to flaunt her wealth. Some people will think she's crazy, but others will respect her for it." Eliza certainly did.

The whole table fell silent, staring at her flatly. Eliza felt a flash of triumph; one of the surest ways to get under Colette Hasting's skin was to compliment Mia Casuana.

That triumph quickly faded, though, only to be replaced by embarrassment and guilt. I shouldn't have said that, she found herself thinking. This woman represents my House's tie to Luthadel. Even if I don't like her.

She was forced to hold back another sigh, but thankfully, dinner arrived, cutting off the awkward silence. Gradually, the group fell to typical dinner conversation, and Eliza was left in peace. For now.

It was going to be a long night.

Posted Image

#184 Phyra Venture

• Rogue Venture Mistborn

MiBoam Obligara the Inquisikandra

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:14 PM

Phyra slowly awoke from the atium trance. She found herself confronted with Aldwin, Efram, and Aaron. All three of them infamous playboys. As she woke, she smiled. She squeezed Aaron's arm gently.

"My thanks to you, Lord Aldwin, for the kind invitation. I must say, I have never been to such a disturbing and delightful ball in all my years.

Mia Casuana may be the most intelligent or the most foolhardy woman I've ever met. But I'm certain, with time, I will be able to match her. What say you, Aaron? Do you have the capability of reckless boldness she has."

She waved a servant over and began burning copper. Now was not the time to be witless. Now was the time to have fun. And she would have fun with these men.

"Or rather, were any of you fine gentlemen to do something incredibly bold, what would you choose to do? What is the most brazen act you can imagine?

She turned her copper off before she started to burn zinc. No need to let them know she was mistborn. She began burning zinc, rioting the men, pushing softly on their emotions, making them more brazen. She pushed them to boast, and to brag.

She pushed them to lust and glanced down coyly. Her smile held not a hint of guilt or shame.

I could tell you mine... but first I will need some wine." This last was addressed to the servant she had waved to her. She also asked for the meal to be brought to the table.
She sat daintily on the chair proffered to her, undressing the men's faces with her eyes.

Other Characters: Brand,Valkyn Venture, Fenna, Lian Vaunter

#185 Claudia Elariel

• Elariel Mistborn

Theatre Spectator
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:35 AM

?Lady Viridian,? she said without enthusiasm. It was difficult to mask her discomfort - she had never been at ease with the way the emerald clad woman flaunted her power as a Mistborn. However the woman?s appearance had turned the conversation away from the question she had posed for which she was grateful. She should not have made such a statement at all, but especially not in public. Now Daerra had some idea of her underlying feelings. She wanted to believe that it wouldn?t matter because she wanted to trust her cousin but she wasn?t quite certain that it was wise to do so. The Elariels were a political lot, all except for her and she had wondered if Daerra?s lack of interest in suitors had something to do with a desire to remain a ranking woman in a powerful house. She knew Daerra wouldn?t hurt her - they were cousins after all - but she had inadvertantly given her power which she could use to make Claudia?s life more difficult if she chose. Lord Andrew and Mikhail would not be pleased if they knew she was indulging in this melancholy at a ball. She forced a smile and took a breath. ?I trust you are well this evening.?

Her copper was burning steadily along with her tin, so she didn?t have to worry that Viridian was going to find her out but she had no doubt that she was burning metals. When the servants came she ordered her meal without much thought and before it arrived Mikhail approached the table.

?Ladies,? he said with an easy smile. ?Lady Demense, you look striking. Perhaps after the meal you would grace me with your company on the dance floor.?

He turned his attention to Marisha and Nerid. ?Ah,? he said with a polite nod. ?You must be Lord Nathar and Lady Marisha. My sister informed me we would be honored with your presence this evening. I?m delighted to make your acquaintance.? Mikhail slipped into his seat fluidly.

?You missed the servants,? Claudia said to her brother. ?Do you want me to recall them to take your order??

He waved his hand in dismissal. ?No need; I placed my order before taking my seat. Lady Casuana has outdone herself with the decorations and amenities. Are any of you planning on participating in her dancing contest? Claudia, Daerra? The two of you would be dazzling on the dance floor.?

?I think n - ? She began, but then she caught the flash of annoyance in this eyes. ?That is to say, I don?t know that I?ll find a partner. I can hardly compete on my own, Mikhail.?

?I?m sure you?ll have no trouble if you mingle a bit,? he replied lightly.

Claudia smothered a sigh and picked up her cup. She had only taken a few sips so far but the wine was rich on her tongue. She glanced over at Daerra, noting that her Terrisman was standing by to refill her cup. Was she on her second or third? It was uncommon for her cousin to drink so heavily. She wondered if it was simply worry for Aaron or if there was something else going on. Had she depressed her with her questioning? Was there something else on her mind?

?I suppose,? she murmured when she realized Mikhail was still watching her. She glanced at Nerid and wondered if she could entend her ?one dance? with him to Lady Casuana?s contest. It wasn?t a fair thought - she knew that he wasn?t like other people. In fact she was willing to wager that the idea of him dancing with her was enough to make Marisha nervous. It was obvious how much she cared for her brother. But he was the only person she could think of who would dance with her. What else was she going to do? Approach some noble of her own rank and ask them herself? That wasn?t only bold, like asking Nerid had been - it was overbold verging on scandalous.

Characters: Claudia Elariel, Jessica Marsdale, Kayla, Adalae Lekal

#186 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:31 AM

Aaron nearly jumped at the sudden rioting. It was subtle, and he realised that, despite his father's training, he probably would not have noticed had the new emotions not been so opposite to what he was feeling before. It started small, but the lust that suddenly came out of nowhere could only be allomantically induced. Aaron only needed to glance at Aldwin and Efram to see that they were feeling the effects as well. At least I know she's still alive.

What had just happened? One minute Phyra was in a daze, the next she was back to her old self, rioting emotions and speaking in innuendo. Aaron didn't know what to think, but suddenly he was very sorry to have asked to join Aldwin and Efram. He would have to make it up to them later. He had expected Phyra to remain comatose throughout the meal, and had hoped the join his friends just to have some conversation with his meal. He hadn't meant to unleash Phyra on them. He was suddenly very glad Daerra already had a plan in motion. He still felt a tad guilty for involving Marisha, but Lord Ruler, he hoped it worked!

#187 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:24 PM

Lucille could hardly believe what was happening. Her first ball in Luthadel, and not only had Mia hung atium from the chandelier, but an Inquisitor - wearing a ball gown no less! - had accosted Damien about his hair and then proceeded to launch herself onto the main table! Just what on earth kinds of balls did Luthadel have?

She was hesitant, of course, to make her way to the head table, with an Inquisitor hovering over everyone, but it was almost time to eat, so she gathered up her courage and set a course for a place next to Damien. If she was with him, at least she wouldn't be by herself.

"Aaaah, Luthadel! It's bigger than everyone says, isn't it?"

"I'll say. And did you get a load of that wall?"

"It's too crowded here. I miss the canals."

"What? We just got away from canals! If I never see another canal boat again, it'll be too soon."

"I know exactly when you'll see one: when our Houses find out what we did and pack us back onto the first canal boat to Urteau."

"Don't think about that now. We need to focus. Do any of you know what Keep Deveaux looks like?"

"How would I know that?"

Silence.

"You mean... none of us know where we're going?"

"It's not a big deal. We'll just hire a coach to take us there. Someone has to know where the place is."

Daeric Vaudin, Jalen Domaille, Frederin Damerell, and Winchester Duchemin were on a mission. It had only been a short while since Lucille left Urteau, but their group had grown unbearably depressing in her absence. And so, of course, the four young lordlings did the only thing any self-respecting, impulsive lordling would do: they packed some belongings, took what money they had, and hopped on the first barge for Luthadel.

Without a word to anyone else about what they were doing or where they were going.

The four of them had just stepped off the barge, trunks in tow, and - without any thought in their heads of lodging or the like - were now ready to set out and find their friend.

"Um... fellows?" Winchester said. "I don't think we have to worry about finding Lucille."

"What? Why's that?" Daeric asked.

By way of reply, Winchester just pointed.

It was a Keep. A massive thing, bigger by far than any single building in Urteau. And with the way it was lit, limelights making it shine like a beacon through the mists, there was only one possible explanation.

"A ball," Frederin observed. Daeric let out a low whistle.

"Well, my dear gentlemen," Jalen said with a grin. "I believe that leaves us with only one option."

"Oh, no," Winchester groaned.

"Oh, yes. We, my friends, are going to a ball."

Posted Image

#188 Ignas

• Architect of the Rebellion, the Shade

High House Noble
  • Age46

• OriginWestern Dominance

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:37 AM

"Well, perhaps then you should take off all your clothes," Ignas said, rolling his eyes. "That, or take lessons on logic." He glared at Nessa, with the dark understanding: deal with it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#189 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• Relationship StatusBeginning a Relationship with Perrin

• OriginCentral Dominance Plantation

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:40 AM

Nessa snorted. "You'd like that, wouldn't you?" she asked, before reminding herself that this man was dangerous, and angering him would probably be a bad idea. "You told us to put these things on in the first place, you know," she pointed out, "so I didn't know if you wanted us to leave them on the whole time or if we could lose them at some point. I'm trying to make sure I'm doing my job right. If you'd told us what we were doing in advance, I would have had time to plan these things already."

#190 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:48 AM

Ignas kept glaring. "One would think, being a street urchin all this time would give you all the preparation. Specifically, you'd be prepared to not need preparation. Unless your taskmasters or crewleaders warned you ahead of time when they will beat you. Perhaps the Final Empire has changed in the past five minutes."

He glanced at his pocketwatch. They would have to start moving soon. "Oh, never mind. It's the exact ash-cursed place as before. Now, if you must know, we'll only... subdue guards, and then when we must move quicker, I shall tell you to dispel the cloaks. I do not know precisely when that point will be, but it should be around the time when we get to our destination. That means you will need to follow my instructions flawlessly, or else we are all dead and the rebellion is doomed. So. Can you do that?"

Posted Image

Posted Image

#191 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:58 AM

"Sure," Nessa replied with a shrug. "After all, there's no way a street urchin with no experience whatsoever in rebelling could possibly make go things go wrong if you expect her to obey flawlessly on the fly. Don't worry, I'll try not to accidentally put out any fires on the way out."

#192 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:23 AM

Ignas tapped his fingers on the very particular pewter spike in his cloak's pocket. "I suppose you're right. I'm... being a stressor, and the situation is stressful enough on its own. You are entirely correct." He smiled. The girl did have good instincts, but it wasn't as if Ignas wanted her dead. All his resources were valuable in their own way.

"Nessa, Let me put you at ease. Tring, Grunn. Come here."

Two exceptionally muscular men stepped forward. The first, Tring, was shorter than Grunn, but had a scar on his face to make up for it. "These are two other Pewterarms that are going with us," Ignas said. "They are often my bodyguards on difficult tasks. You'll be more of a backup than the prime attacking force. I'm bringing you along simply to give you experience, and unfortunately, there are no 'easy' missions. My apologies. In any case, just follow these two. They know what they are doing."

Of course, Ignas would admit that infuriating Perrin was another prime reason for bringing Nessa on the infiltration team. Fortunately, both goals were amply met with bringing Nessa. A logical decision with smart retribution on top of it was irresistable. And the nobility and that traitorous Terrismen would get their retribution tonight, too. Perrin should pray to a forgotten god that Ignas won't do the worst to him.

"Also, Bran here will be our Smoker." Another skaa stepped up, and they all begun to put on their cloaks. "We're all set. Feel a little better, Nessa dear?" Ignas's voice probably sounded too dark to be truly reassuring, but it'd have to do.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#193 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:09 AM

"Yes, Father," Nessa replied, because of his calling her 'dear.' "And thank you. Surviving on the streets is different from doing a job. I like to do jobs right, and that generally means knowing what I'm doing.

"Though," she added with a grin, "I could always randomly flail around if you really wanted me to."

#194 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:27 AM

Ignas laughed--and then he paused, surprised that she got him to laugh. "As long as you do it in a way where you slam into the Casuana soldiers, I think we can work with that."

He looked at his infiltration group. They'd do well. The Casuana-Deveaux forces surely had a Mistborn in their ranks, so he could certainly use a Lurcher and Coinshot. Ignas's experiment, Coron, was in the band of rebels here, and that boy would be quite useful. But Coron's defiance worried Ignas. Did the risks of a potential betrayal from Coron outweigh the benefits?

No, he thought. They'd rely on stealth for the infiltration, and that should work effectively enough. It was a worry. Hopefully, Perrin would lure away the primary Mistborn agents. Ignas wasn't here to assassinate Lady Casuana--at least, that wasn't the main goal. He'd surely kill Casuana if he had the chance. But, avoiding her also avoided her inevitable Allomancer guard, and any Mistborn they had. And obviously, Lady Casuana would be in the ballroom, not wandering the tunnels. They'd be fine.

"All right. Any last questions?" Ignas said to the infiltration party as they put on their cloaks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#195 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:33 AM

"Follow you around," Nessa said, pulling on her cloak. "Knock out the guards when we meet them, and pay attention. If you tell us to do something else, it means you want it done right now. Right?"

#196 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:38 AM

Ignas nodded. "You certainly know how to cut to the core of the issue," Ignas said. He turned to the main rebel group. "Maks! You know the plan: recruit as many of the skaa fleeing, and bring them to the different safe houses. Keep everyone safe. We'll back back soon." He nodded to him without smiling, and then started pacing forward.

"Bran, Smoke us. We shouldn't have to worry about an Inquisitor's piercing copperclouds, as the Inquisitor will be distracted enough. Drink your vials. Follow me. It's time for the attack to begin!"

There would be fire tonight.

Posted Image

Posted Image

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users