The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
» Forum Rules
» The Story Thus Far
» Character Application
» Frequently Asked Questions
» Character System Guide
» Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
» The Three Metallic Arts
» Guide to the Final Empire
» Map of Luthadel
» The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
» Introduce Yourself
» Universal Continuity Thread
» The Timeline
» Adoptable Characters
» Wanted Characters
» Face Registry
» Open Threads List

Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

The Casuana Ball, Part II: Serenity and Steel

642 replies to this topic

#561 Nerid Nathar

• Heir to House Nathar

Nessa's Baywrap

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:23 AM

It had been firmly impressed upon Nerid that he should be very polite to anyone of higher rank than him, and it was very polite to say my Lady, of course. But Viridian said he didn?t have to. He did not understand why she said she was named after the colour of her eyes, since her eyes were green, but he nodded anyway. ?Vie is a nice name! I would like to call you Vie.?

Her next question took most of his smile away. She asked about his parents, and that wasn?t an easy question to answer. There were lots of things he wasn?t allowed to talk about. And he didn?t really like to talk about it anyway. It made him feel sad, and strange, and angry, too. Nerid knew it was very wrong to have those feelings about his own grandfather. Grandfather had taught him how wicked it was to disobey, and that he had to love him, because he protected the family and he was their grandfather and the High Seat. It was very important.

But Nerid didn?t love him. And he had disobeyed, with Marisha. It was wrong to disobey, but Grandfather had hurt Marisha, and he made Nerid do things he didn?t want to do, things he knew were wrong and wicked, too. Grandfather was a wicked man. It would be even more wrong to obey a wicked man, even if the scriptures said to honour him. Marisha said it was right for them to go away, and even to steal from him, and she was much more clever than he was. She could understand things like that.

?Me and Risha are traveling alone,? he told her, ?all by ourselves. Mother went away a long time ago and we never saw Father very much. I guess Grandfather took care of us. But he is a very bad man,? Nerid said, very firmly, and a little more loudly than he meant to. He hushed his voice at once. ?So he isn?t here with us.?

#562 Viridian Demesne

Chunky the Mistwraith

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:40 AM

"That is unfortunate," Vie replied kindly, though her brow furrowed a bit. Inside her inquisitive streak was winning out again. As much as she wanted to respect Nerid's privacy... she wanted to know about him as well. Was she so certain she could not have it both ways?

Viridian was certain she had never heard of the Nathars before tonight, which likely meant they had no family in the City, or likely even in the central dominance, though she made a mental note to make an inquiry with Felicity... or perhaps she might look into this one on her own time. She was actively involved now after all, she might as well follow the breadcrumbs and see what might come of them.

In the meantime that left her with Nerid, and the cryptic words that his uncle was a bad man. Were they running? It seemed possible. Marisha was a suspicious woman, a troubled family history might explain her behavior. If they came from an abusive family, Vie could certainly understand the impulse to take Nerid away from that. Feeling bold she tried to find a way to press Nerid for answers without actually pressing him, "I have met my share of bad men in Luthadel," she told him as innocently as she could manage, which wasn't actually terrible while in his presence, "What sorts of things has your uncle done?"
<div align=center>user posted image</div>

Attached NPC's: Davon Demesne, Alyss Demesne

#563 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

Looking Good in Red
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:16 AM

Aaron waited for Viridian and Nerid to catch up before speaking again. How Marisha was approached, he would leave to Sanna and Claudia to figure out. He was just trying to find her.

"Lady Viridian," he said. She had been talking to Nerid when he spoke. He hoped she would not take offense at the interruption. "I think if Lady Marisha was out in the open, or trying to be found, we would have found her by now. I think she might be hiding, and if she is, she'll be in a place where she can't be surprised, or snuck up on, but can still see or hear people coming. We're looking for dark corners, arches, or shadows under bushes or trees. Places where someone could hide and watch people go passed. Anything out in the open, or moving quickly, you can probably attribute to guards. Do any of your iron or steel lines point to the type of place I have described?"

#564 Viridian Demesne

Chunky the Mistwraith

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

Viridian's cold eyes turned upon him. It was very easy to be angry with him... to easy. She found herself wanting to snap at him for interrupting her conversation with Nerid more than she wanted to find Marisha... but she had made Nerid a promise. She owed him that, and Aaron certainly had done nothing at all to acquire her scorn this time.

Her eyes softened and she gave his statement a great deal of thought. His seemingly intimate knowledge of iron and steel lines not withstanding, a clue perhaps that he might be more than met the eye, she focused on the pertinent items of his concern. At last she nodded, "While I do not agree that we ourselves might find Marisha so swiftly had she been wandering the mists alone, I do concur. The guards would have located her as of now were she not, as you have deduced, hiding."

She looked sideways to Nerid and squeezed his hand in support before turning back to Aaron, "Your theory is more than sound Lord Aaron. I will turn my attention to those places you have specified."

#565 Jessica Marsdale

• Marsdale Widow

Theatre Spectator
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusWidowed

• OriginWestern Dominance

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:35 AM

She glanced back at the table, where the Terrisman seemed to be helping Jansten away from his table. "There is no need to apologize, Lady Landell," she replied sincerely. "Your father's behavior was entirely in keeping with what is proper. If he suffers from a condition that causes him difficulties then please accept my apology for imposing on him when he was not truly disposed towards company. Had I know, I would have held off until a more opportune time presented itself."

That did explain his behavior, although perhaps he should not have come to a ball if he was had known he was going to find himself in such a state. Of course, it was entirely possible that he had felt he would be slighting the Casuana's or missing valuable opportunities if he had not attended. What a conundrum that must be - trying to choose between the risk of embarrassment due to medication or have to forgo the possibilities presented in a venue such as this one.

"Would you convey to him my sincerest regrets if I troubled him?" She went on.

Characters: Claudia Elariel, Jessica Marsdale, Kayla, Adalae Lekal

#566 Claudia Elariel

• Elariel Mistborn

Theatre Spectator
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:52 AM

The irony of helping Marisha 'look herself' as Sanna had put it struck Claudia abruptly. She would be able to try and return the favor Marisha had extended her when they first met. Well, she could have wished that it wasn't necessary, but...Sanna was right and it if they acted delicately, then Marisha would know that they didn't think any less of her for being upset. She offered a small smile of agreement to Sanna. "Yes," she said. "You're likely right."

The mists swirled around them, nearly dancing with Viridian as she burned her metals. Claudia realized she was clutching Aaron's arm tightly. She forced herself to loosen her grip a little. "I hope we find her soon," she murmured softly. "I do not like it out here."

At that moment, Aaron put forth his theory on how best to find Marisha. As she listened, Claudia bit back a frown. He was so deliberate in his descriptions and so accurate...anyone paying attention would assume he was either an Allomancer himself or highly educated in Allomantic physics. No one who knew Aaron was likely to believe it was just an intellectual pursuit...Had Viridian noticed? Had Sanna? Would they put it together if they did? Woudl they say anything if they put it together? Sanna my not have been paying attention, but Viridian's analytical, searching mind probably had...

This night could not seem to get any worse. When she and Aaron returned to Keep Elariel she was going to have to have a long talk with him about concealing his knowledge of Allomancy...No. Maybe that wasn't the best way, after this little speech. Maybe he should simply acquire as much knowledge on the topic as possible - about all of the metals. If he did that he might be able to convince everyone it was a hobby after all, should the topic come up again. Yes, that method might be best if she could convince him to put forth the effort.

Characters: Claudia Elariel, Jessica Marsdale, Kayla, Adalae Lekal

#567 Nerid Nathar

• Heir to House Nathar

Nessa's Baywrap

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

Viridian did not think he was wicked, and that helped Nerid feel a little easier about what he had said. He couldn?t tell her everything about their family of course, or that they were running away. That would be too much. But it was fine for her to know that Grandfather was not a good man. Nerid shouldn?t tell her about what Grandfather made him do, he knew. But he could tell her that he hurt his mother, and Marisha, and other people, too. He was about to, only they caught up with Aaron and Sanna and Claudia first.

Nerid stayed quiet after Aaron began to talk to Viridian. He shouldn?t interrupt, because Aaron was more important than he was and interrupting was rude anyways. It made him begin to think now, though. Was Marisha really hiding from them on purpose? She might be, she didn?t like anyone to see her if anything was wrong, ever. She thought Nerid didn?t know when she cried, she always did it when she thought he was asleep. If she was crying now, that could be why she didn?t come back in to find him.

But he had to do what she didn?t want, because it wasn?t safe out here. The guards said maybe Sureau would attack. Marisha needed to be where it was safe, with him, and Lady Viridian, and maybe his other new friends, too. And he needed her, too, because he didn?t always know what to do. Marisha could choose for him when she was there.

He squeezed Viridian?s hand back. Nerid felt like he wasn?t very helpful right now, because he couldn?t give them good ideas, and he couldn?t burn metals to try to find her, but when they found her again, then she would need him.

#568 Vizar

• Keeper of Folktales

Tineye
  • Age35

• Relationship StatusSIngle

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:00 PM

Once Vizar and Jansten reached a room just off of the main ballroom, Vizar let Jansten sit again. It was probably better for him to do so, anyway. Vizar did not know the intricacies of gout -- another thing he would have to look up while he was trying to find a way to reverse withdrawals and dependency. Vizar put his employer on a chair against the wall. Noises of the ball could be heard through the doors of the room.

"I do truly apologize, master Jansten. I do hope you will understand that we needed to leave the ballroom. I need to find Tamsin and inform her where we have disappeared to. Will you be all right on your own for a few moments?" Vizar was hesitant to leave the man on his own. He didn't think it was a great idea at all... since Jansten could just  wander back into the ballroom and ruin whatever reputation he had cultivated over the years in a laudanum enhanced state.

#569 Julian Casuana

• Former Lord Casuana

High House Noble
  • Age28

• Relationship StatusMarried to Mia Casuana

• OriginAustrex, Southern Dominance

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:01 AM

"Yes, Master, I was," Delzen said.

"Delzen," Julian said with a smile. Julian could hardly believe his eyes. Seeing old friends, old confidants... Julian was almost home. He reached to give Delzen a hug, but Julian looked down and saw the blood in his clothing. "I suppose hugs will have to come later."

"An apt analysis, Master. There's not much time, I think."

Delzen was careful not to use Julian's name. That wasn't terribly surprising--Lord Julian was supposed to be dead. But why was Delzen here, waiting for Julian no less? Julian glanced at his pocketwatch. He was early. Very early, in fact. "Not that I'm disagreeing, Delzen, but there's plenty of time. Everything's ready, right? There's fifteen minutes before the scheduled timing. Lord Ruler, man, can't I just have a moment? I'm just happy to see you! What's been happening? Is Mia all right?"

"Mia is doing well enough, but I am afraid a detailed discussion will have to wait."

"That look in your eyes does not fill me with a great deal of confidence."

Delzen sighed. "I am here to bring you a message, Master. For that, I am glad you are early."

Julian wiped the mix of tears and sweat from his cheek. "Not immensely shocking. You didn't come down here for the tea, after all. What is the message?"

Delzen looked into Julian's eyes, and with a frankness almost unbecoming of a Terrisman, he said, "Hurry."

Julian tensed. "W-what?"

"Kavesh informs me that he believes there will be an attack. Rebels. I have not seen him so perturbed, since Lord Riordan's mishap."

Riordan's Terrisman, Kavesh, was a stalwart supporter of Casuana, if not a bit rebellious. Like Riordan, in a way. If Kavesh was turning serious... things were bad.

Delzen glanced warily around the tunnel, but of course, no one was there. Lord Ruler, Delzen was worried, too. "Set the fires. Let us hope it's enough to disrupt the skaa attack, whatever it might be."

Julian took a deep breath. He wanted to probe Delzen for more information, but clearly, the Terrisman had no more to give. Delzen's tension was information enough. "Off I go, then. After this, Delzen, I'm buying you some serious Fathvell wine, when I get back." And some great whiskey, to make up for the stores I'm burning now.

"I look forward to it, Master." Delzen bowed.

Julian turned to leave, but he looked back at Delzen, before the Terrisman disappeared. "And Delzen. Don't... don't go up to the first floor of the outer east wall. Trust me."

Delzen nodded knowingly. "I... shall keep that in mind, Master." With that, Delzen vanished the way Julian came. Now Julian had to go forward, to the inner wall, for the first fire.

But rebels were here. At last, Julian might encounter the rebellion! Perhaps these efforts weren't completely for nothing. Maybe, after he set the Keep on fire, he could ambush the rebels, and take them out completely! Get real, he thought immediately. There will just be underlings in an attack. Maybe the leader to an entire cell. But not the rebel leader.

He pushed the idea of fighting skaa out of his mind. Despite his hatred of them, he had to stay focused. Set the Keep on fire... save lives! Lord Ruler. The Final Empire was one messed up world if that statement made sense. He smiled and hobbled through the tunnel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#570 Mia Casuana

• Lady of House Casuana

High House Noble
  • Age27

• Relationship StatusMarried to Julian Casuana

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

Neither Ellsworth nor Augustin got a chance to respond, for Lord Andrew Elariel honored them with his presence. Regrettably. She immediately wished she was in Augustin's study, scolding her.

"Lords Ellsworth and Augustin," Andrew Elariel said, nodding to each of them. As if Ellsworth and Augustin are friends with someone who speaks so smoothly, Mia thought. "My salutations. And to Lady Casuana of course. My wife sends her regards on a splendid ball, and her compliments on your gown."

He nodded after a slight pause. It wasn't a smooth nod, like Andrew had given Ellsworth and Augustin, and Mia knew that coming from him, the pause was absolutely intentional. Andrew held himself high, composed. He knew the Luthadel political game better than Mia ever would. But clearly, he didn't know what the wrath of a scorned woman was like. Mia curtsied, attempting to keep her face flat and emotionless.

?How are you enjoying the ball so far, my lords? How do you think this duel between young Riordan and the Hasting boy will go??

"Lords and lady," Mia corrected. "Surely you haven't forgotten me already, Lord Elariel? I'd find that hard to believe, considering I'm ever so slightly taller than you."

Mia smiled at him. She should've restrained herself and she knew it. But he came over here for some sort of twisted end, and Mia didn't have time for that insanity. If Andrew was going to be calm and serene, House Casuana had the correct tonic for that: hot, freshly forged steel, stabbing him right through his skull. The truth was her steel, cutting through lies and games like a giant flaming blade.

"The duel worries me," Mia said truthfully. "I'm sure you're worried about its implications, too, Lord Elariel?"

Edited by Chaos, 31 December 2012 - 08:35 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#571 Andrew Elariel

• Disinherited Heir

Looking Good in Red
  • Age45

• Relationship StatusMarried

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:56 AM

Andrew allowed Mia's little barb to slide passed him. The fact that Mia Casuana was superior to him in any way, even something as inconsequential as height, bothered him more than he would like, but he had faced far worse insults from far more competent adversaries without breaking his smooth smile. Nonetheless, Mia had behaved precisely as expected (not that Andrew was surprised), and so, he continued on as he had. Did the woman really think she was among equals. Why, she was barely older than his children! What Mia Casuana needed more than anything was to get remarried, preferably to someone more experienced and competent than her late husband, and return things to their proper order. Secretly, Andrew wished her luck. It must be hard for a woman so freakishly tall to attract a man.

Despite Mia giving the desired response, he casual study of Augustin had yet to show him any openings. It would seem that Mia was going to be his only tool for the time being. As Mia spoke, he continued to make more minor adjustments to her emotions, building her up bit by bit. If she wanted to believe she was his equal, he supposed he would let her. He kept her self restraint steady however. The woman was obviously already unstable, there was no need to play his hand before there was time. Feeling that her emotions were at a suitable level, Andrew began to slip more purposeful changes in, using the slight mood boost as a mask. He began to her self-awareness first, then her alertness, and then just a light push on her suspicion and inquisitiveness, making her less likely to notice his manipulations. Suspicion would be the trickiest one to soothe. If Mia stopped suspecting Andrew of anything, she would know something was wrong. To compensate for the lowering of suspicion, Andrew began to soothe Mia's trust as well. The lessening of suspicion and inquisition would prevent her from guessing there was something wrong with her emotions, and the boost of distrust for Andrew would make things seem more natural. There was a subtle difference between distrust and suspicion, but a good soothing was often built upon such distinctions.

As he made a few more minor changes to her emotional state (soothing her loyalty to her family and embarrassment to prevent her desire to please Augustin from getting in the way), and responded to her comment. "Of course I could not forget about you, my lovely, Lady Casuana," he said with a grin, and a slight raise of his eyebrow. "I merely thought your opinions on the duel would be obvious. As High Seat of House Casuana, it was your desire for young Riordan to challenge Lord Caden, was it not? I would hardly insult your competence by insinuating you couldn't control your own household. I apologize profusely if you have taken offense, for it was not my intent." He finished with a polite bow, before continuing. "Now, if my presumption has been forgiven, and since you seem so eager to share, what are your thoughts on the duel, Lady Casuana. And what are these implications you speak of?"

#572 Marisha Nathar

• Nathar heir's sister

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age19

• OriginFarmost Dominance

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:15 PM

Marisha had tried several times to get closer to the keep, and to the light, but each time she did she was warned away by the presence of more guards. She had taken refuge in a gazebo, where she had remained still, trying again to get control of her body and her mind. Viciously, she ordered herself to think rationally. She had been forced to let go of her pewter and the support that gave her. Someone would find her by that - no doubt the Casuanas had Seekers among their guards. Even at the lowest burn, there was a chance she could be discovered.

She was still out here hiding, and Nerid was alone. Alone, in the middle of that nest of vipers. Daerra might have her claws on him. Viridian might. Aaron might. Any of them could have snatched him up while she was gone, and Nerid's naive gullibility would lead him to trust, and who knew how far his trust would lead him? She had warned him against them all, but Nerid did not always keep her warnings in mind. Her stupid, sincere, precious brother.

She had already failed. Why was she like this? It was not her family, it was not what went on in Farmost, it was not her father or her cousin or her enemies, there was no one she could blame, because she had left them all behind, she had run and she had escaped and it was still with her. It was her. Her cowardice. Her weakness. Pewter was supposed to give her strength, but she did not have the strength of mind to hold herself upright. The serrated thoughts took her mind to pieces, leading her down into where blank, animal terror waited in the shadowed part of her mind.

Something else. Before she fell apart again.

Marisha listed the first few Relue polynomials, whispering them to herself like a prayer to calm and comfort, her lips moving inaudibly with the recitation as she fought to control her breathing. These were things that made sense, that were not ambiguous. Things she understood, she could control, that followed an explicit formula and did not change or twist or turn on her or lie to her. There was only one right answer, and it was hers, no one could take it away. Hers.

#573 Viridian Demesne

Chunky the Mistwraith

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:46 AM

Viridian smiled as she felt Nerid's fingers tighten in her palm. His presence alone was a comfort in its own way. A pillar of beauty and perfection in a sea of emptiness. He needed offer no plot, no plan or theory and she would have happily thrown the rest away to search for Marisha alone with him. It was a sensation and understanding she had not felt since that last night of captivity. The night the world had turned gray and lifeless.

She led them in silence now. Her eyes scanning steel and iron lines in the mist. She flared her tin to push the mists back as far as possible. Most of the lines were mobile, indicating guards, some of whom she was able to see, some of whom were hidden by mist. A gazebo came into view and it offered her pause. one of her iron lines lead through the wood. For a moment she pondered if it was worth inspecting. Then it... shifted, just slightly. An earring attached to a nervous woman perhaps?

For a half second she considered moving on, leaving the Gazebo and eliminating the possibility of finding Marisha there. Certainly she would have to let go of Nerid's hand when they found his sister. Marisha would want Vie far away from her brother. The thought was almost heart wrenching.

"I have located a probable source." she finally said aloud. The only thing that seemed less terrible than actually locating Marisha was to lie about it to Nerid. For this reason, and this reason alone, she led them toward the Gazebo.

#574 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

Looking Good in Red
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

Aaron followed Viridian's gaze to the gazebo. Yes, it was perfect. In the shadows and mists, a person could easily crouch or even sit behind one of the pillars and remain completely hidden, and their were multiple avenues of escape should someone get too close. Aaron itched to burn iron so that he could see if Viridian was following a hunch, an iron line, or neither. However loyal she appeared to be to Nerid, Aaron still didn't trust her. He could hardly see Marisha being happy that her brother was spending his time in the company of such a dangerous woman. What if Viridian was deliberately leading them astray in the hopes of prolonging her time with Nerid?

Aaron stopped himself from burning iron just in time. It was more than likely that Viridian was burning bronze. He didn't want to reveal himself. Besides, he had already noticed how easy it was to discern who was an allomancer and who wasn't in the mists if he was careful to watch. Maybe if Claudia burned copper, and the both kept their metals to a low burn, so as not to affect the mists noticeably? But how would he signal her?

He stopped himself yet. He had been about to suggest that Claudia or Sanna go ahead with Nerid, just in case Marisha really was in the gazebo, but he clamped hie mouth shut before he did. He'd already proven enough times tonight that he wasn't cut out to lead. He'd already mentioned the suggestion to Sanna and Claudia. They were both competent, smart, and intelligent. One of them would think of it. He was just there to see that Marisha was safe. That was all.

#575 Nerid Nathar

• Heir to House Nathar

Nessa's Baywrap

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:49 AM

The instant that Vie pointed out the little trellised building ahead, and said that it was a probable source, Nerid understood intuitively that she meant Marisha was in it. He released Vie's hand, leaving her behind as he darted forward, calling out to his sister. "Risha!" Was she in there? Had they found her? He was inside the gazebo in a moment, searching for her, and she was there, hunched over on the bench that encircled the inside of the gazebo. Nerid could see her by the light of the torch that the others had behind him. She was shaking, and she looked up at him with a stunned expression, her mouth opening, but Nerid did not wait to hear what she was going to say.

He was by her side in a moment, his arms going around her to embrace her tightly. "Risha," he said, almost ready to cry again with the relief, "Risha, I found you, I found you, I was so scared, I didn't know where you were and the guard said it was dangerous out here and I was so scared you were hurt. Please don't be mad at me. I'm sorry if you were hiding on purpose. I had to find you, I was scared."

#576 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

Looking Good in Red
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

Aaron concerns were appeased when Nerid rushed towards the gazebo, calling Marisha's name, or at least, his approximation of it. Of course the man was the best choice. Marisha was his sister, and the sight of her brother in distress would surely pull her together more effectively than anything Sanna or Claudia could do. Good thing I didn't open my big mouth again, I guess. It would probably be best if one of the two women approached next, and help Marisha fix herself up, but Sanna or Claudia would think of it. There was absolutely no reason for him to try taking the lead again. Now that Marisha was found, perhaps they could finally put this entire episode behind them, and get the rest of this ball over with. The sooner he was back at home, with Daerra to direct him, the better. He'd proven his incompetency enough times tonight.

Watching Nerid entire the shadows of the gazebo, Aaron stopped as the rest of the group grew close. His face was probably the thing Marisha wanted to see the least right now. And so, he stepped back into the shadows and mists, and waited to hear that she was all right.

#577 Viridian Demesne

Chunky the Mistwraith

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:42 PM

Viridian watched him sprint away in an almost stunned silence. She brought her empty hand up in front of her for closer inspection, as though she could hardly believe that it was now empty. Of course it would be like this. The logical part of her mind understood that in conventional circles, family was an essential bond. A connecting force that surpassed any other. This simply was not the case for her. She had lost all such connections... until that night.

It hurt, she realized. It wasn't a physical pain, it was something else, It wasn't a sharp stabbing malady or a dull throbbing insistent thing. It wasn't really any kind of pain at all, and yet she felt as though she greatly preferred the sensation her fingernails had made stabbing into her palm. It was silly, it was foolish, it was completely illogical and terribly emotionally driven, but it hurt, and she did not like it. She did not like it, and she did not want it.

She gritted her teeth as her vision suddenly blurred. Marisha Nathar had deserted her brother! She had left him alone to hide in a Gazebo of all things! She hardly deserved him, she hardly cared to look after him if present circumstances were not fluke occurrence, a possibility Vie grudgingly had to entertain without further analysis.

Who had gone to him while he stood alone on the Ball room floor? Who had looked after him? Who had helped him find his sister? Viridian had... and yet that had been a fluke. One that she felt in her heart right at that moment would not remain so. For better or worse she was drawn to Nerid Nathar. Drawn to a man who, apparently, no longer needed her as much as she needed him.

Her empty hand seemed alien, strange, void of the color that was now swirling in the Gazebo beyond. She thought she ought to turn around. She ought to leave them. She had done what she had set out to do. The siblings were reunited, and it was time for her to hand him back to his sentinel, and yet... she knew that she could not.

The world was Grey, and despite herself, she found her feet taking her toward the Gazebo. Toward the siblings. Toward color.

#578 OreSanjou

Riordan Casuana's Reputation

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:54 AM

Finally.

Too much longer in such a dull fashion, and OreSanjou would have been forced to liven up the evening, perhaps casting his voice down an alley or into a tree. A sharp rasp to make them jump. Yes, that would have been delightful.

Still, he had a role to fulfill, and far be it from him to ruin a contract so early on. Information was desired, so information he would provide. The young Lord Elariel had become increasingly uncertain as their hunt went on. Though the guards had been instructed to keep a respectable distance, his keen nose could detect the whiffs of fear drifting off the nobleman's person.

It was...crisp, like fresh linen, with a sharpness that prickled the back of his throat. These were new fears, to be certain. Aaron Elariel's faith in himself had been shaken tonight. The master would be pleased with that little tidbit to be sure. Far more interesting, however, was the way Lady Demesne and Lord Nathar clung to one another. He was not quite certain who needed the other more, but there was something there that could be manipulated, most definitely. When the odd young lord rushed towards the gazebo to reunite with his sister, OreSanjou swore he could detect the faintest, most delectable little tuft of fear erupt from her.

But the Lady Nathar...oh how he longed to be close enough to that structure. Someone who had run off, had reason to hide from the world. Her fear would have been a rare, wonderful thing to partake of. He cursed the fool nobles who had ordered the guards to stay back. He shifted in the uncomfortable armor.

Long, spindly arms, like spider's legs with clawed ends. Bending in awkward directions around a pillar of the gazebo, raking lightly along her shoulders, tangling in her hair. He could practically hear her scream.
user posted image

#579 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

Looking Good in Red
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:52 AM

As the rest of the group approached the gazebo, Aaron noticed the guards hanging back at a respectful distance, as they had been instructed. Most of them seemed to be paying little attention, but Aaron recognized the signs of alertness beneath their feigned indifference. Between them, they were scanning the walls, and the surrounding area, looking for possible sources of danger. Aaron had to admit, they were good at their job, none of them let their eyes linger for more than a moment in one place...

Except for one.

The other guards each spared the members of his party cursory glances once and a while, but as they realized, one by one, that they weren't moving on any time soon, those glances grew less and less. Except for one of the guards. His gaze seemed to be directed solely at Aaron's group. As the man gazed at the gazebo, Aaron watched as his gaze lingered a moment longer than it had anywhere else. Did he have some interest in Marisha perhaps?

The man's gaze swung back Aaron's way, and Aaron's thieving instincts came to the rescue. He expertly averted his own stare, allowing himself to appear relaxed and casual. From his peripherals, he noted as the guards gaze moved on, once again swinging towards the gazebo. Slowly, he started over to the man. This time, when the man noticed him, he smiled warmly. There was something off about the look in the man's eyes. He had only seen it for an instant, and he still wasn't sure if it was his imagination or not, but he could do nothing to help Marisha yet, and so he might as well make himself useful.

"It looks like we've found her. I'll have to thank you gentleman for your help. I don't suppose these expeditions are common at balls, are they?"

#580 OreSanjou

Riordan Casuana's Reputation

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

"No, my lord, thankfully not. It has been...an interesting evening to say the least." OreSanjou replied as stiffly as he could, posture snapping a little straighter as the nobleman approached. "I am merely glad we were able to find the Lady Nathar before anything unsavory might have befallen her."

On one hand, it was annoying to have the lordling present, interrupting his mental reprieve. On another hand, the close proximity brought new highlight and definition to the insecurities drifting off him, which was quite enjoyable. And on another hand, it gave the kandra an opportunity to deflect a little concern. He had probably been watching a bit too closely, and there was no need to draw suspicion to himself already.

"All this murmuring about rebellion going on.." OreSanjou lowered his voice. Anyone using tin would no doubt hear him clear as a bell, but any further lowering would indicate he understood anything of Allomancy, and that would be unbecoming of a humble guardsman. "It's worrisome, my lord. Lord Ruler forbid, the last thing Lady Nathar seems to need tonight is an attack when she is in such a vulnerable mindset. A mighty good thing her brother approached first, hiding means she's afraid, and fear makes people irrational. Wouldn't do to have a noblewoman lashing out at one of her own in a panic."
user posted image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users