The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Before Everything and After

W1 D7 EA Nessa Maks Perrin

16 replies to this topic

#1 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• Relationship StatusBeginning a Relationship with Perrin

• OriginCentral Dominance Plantation

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:02 AM

Nessa stifled another yawn.

As much as she had enjoyed staying out with Perrin last night, she was definitely paying for it now. Not only was she struggling to wake up, but she was coughing more and she didn't feel like she could breathe as well as she should. Perfect.

She hunched down in her seat at the kitchen, trying to avoid the stares of everyone who passed. She didn't know how many people actually knew what had happened last night, but every time someone looked at her, it felt like she was being judged.

And so she hunched even lower over her meal, allowing her long hair to fall forward and form a curtain to separate her from the world.

#2 Maks

Member of Lucille Deveaux's Book Club

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:14 AM

An air of anticipation had hung heavy in the shop all morning long. Everyone knew what was coming tonight, but didn't know if they would be making it out of the attack alive. Definitely a lovely way to start the day. Lucky for Maks, he had a few last minute details to add to a few orders, and had decided to take his lunch just a little bit before midday.

He rubbed his hands on his pants as he walked into the kitchen, but stopped short and grinned for a moment when his eyes fell on Nessa doing her best to hide herself while out in the open. Maks retrieved a bowl of soup from one of the serving women and made his way over to sit across from the young pewterarm.

"Finally awake, I see," he said, an amused smile on his lips. "So, are you going to tell me about your excursion last night?"

#3 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:34 AM

Nessa flinched. She had been afraid of this. Was Maks angry with her? They had been out really late, after all, and then Perrin had dragged her off to bed before they could answer any questions.

But now Maks had her alone, and he did deserve an explanation after giving Nessa a place to live and all. A furtive, guilty glance in his direction showed that he was smiling, which brought a measure of relief. At least he wasn't mad.

"I ran into that Inquisitor last night," she explained, still hiding behind her hair. "He started messing with my emotions, and I got really upset. Perrin made him leave me alone and then he took me flying to make me feel better. We just didn't know how late it was. Or. Uh. Early, I guess."

#4 Maks

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:50 AM

Took her flying? Maks resisted the urge to sigh. What was that damn mistborn playing at? This wasn't the first time that he had come to Nessa's rescue; any more of it and she was certainly going to start thinking of Perrin as more than just a teacher and comrade. Unless, of course, she hadn't already begun to feel strongly for him. In the limited experience that Maks had with teenage girls, he knew that they formed strong attachments easily.

His smile faded a little, "Took you flying? Is that all?"

#5 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:00 AM

Nessa wanted to groan. Perrin had asked her not to say anything, and she didn't want to break her word to him, but she knew full well that she was supposed to listen to Maks. She would have to make it a point to grumble at him about this later.

"Well......." Nessa began, trying to think. Aha! She could say that!

"He did drop me once," she offered. "And then he caught me, and we talked a bunch. And he showed me Keep Casuana. From a distance, of course."

#6 Maks

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:15 AM

Maks coughed a couple times after swallowing a too-hot spoonful of soup too quickly. "He... dropped you?! Oh all the stupid..." he trailed off, smile now completely gone from his face. He would be having a nice chat with Perrin at some point in the near future. Being irresponsible and stupid was one thing if he was alone, but if Perrin insisted on endangering another member of the rebellion with his idiocy, he would have to face the consequences.

He exhaled slowly, calming himself, "Have you seen Perrin at all this morning? I think he and I should have a talk."

"Looking for me, are you?" Perrin's familiar voice called, but not from the direction of the stairs. Maks turned around to face the door coming in from the alley to see the mistborn standing there, usual self-satisfied smirk on his face. "You call and I come, my dear tailor. No need to pester Sweets about it."

"Care to join us then, Perrin?" Maks scowled.

Perrin grinned stupidly at him, "If you insist." He grabbed a bowl of his own before making his way to sit next to Nessa. Maks watched him closely as Perrin came towards them, and thought he saw Perrin wink ever so discretely at Nessa before turning back towards him. "So, what are we talking about?"

#7 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:22 AM

Nessa felt herself blush when Perrin winked at her, and slumped even more markedly to try to hide it from Maks. She wanted to hide from the tailor's inquisitive gaze, but unless she moved behind Perrin or something, this was as good as it was going to get.

"He wants to know about last night," she told him, feeling her blush grow deeper.

This afternoon was a disaster.

#8 Perrin

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:46 AM

"Oh, you mean he wants to know about our romantic night frolicking around Luthadel?" Perrin grinned as Maks's face registered shock, and grinned wider when he noticed the deep blush on Nessa's face out of the corner of his eye. "Come on now Maksy boy, I was only trying to cheer Nessa up last night. Like she said, the creepy musical inquisitor upset her and I was just trying to help."

Maks appeared to have recovered from his shock enough to speak, "Trying to help by dropping her? Could you be more stupid?"

Hmm... so she'd mentioned that unfortunate part about the previous night. Oh well, not like it mattered. "I'm sure I could be if I tried, yes." Maks opened his mouth to respond, but Perrin cut him off, "The dropping was an accident. But she wasn't hurt, and I learned to hold on tighter is all, since she seems to.... forget... to sometimes."

"This isn't something to laugh about, Perrin. Even with pewter, a serious fall could hurt Nessa or even kill her. I don't think it's a good idea for you two to go out like that again."

Posted Image

#9 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:07 AM

Nessa choked on her baywrap when Perrin mentioned their "romantic night frolicking around Luthadel." Right after asking her to not say anything, he went and said it blatantly? But, Maks didn't seem to believe him. Well, Nessa couldn't blame him for that.

And then he told them not to go out. What!? He couldn't keep them from that! ...Could he?

"No!" she gasped before she realized what she was doing, snapping up to meet his gaze. "You can't!"

She paled, realizing what she had done, and slumped back into her chair.

"I mean, please don't make us stop," she pleaded in a much softer tone. "Please."

#10 Perrin

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:34 PM

In the moment after Nessa's little outburst, Perrin found himself torn between wanting to laugh in amusement and groan in frustration. If Maks didn't think they were hiding anything from him before, he certainly would now; the tailor was no fool. Perrin allowed himself to glance at Nessa again and couldn't help but smile at her; he didn't want to be banned from going out at night with her again either.

He turned his eyes back to Maks, whose own eyes were darting back and forth between he and Nessa. Finally, his eyes settled on Perrin, his expression stern, "Explain. Now."

"There's nothing to explain. We just had a really good time with each other last night. You can't blame us for wanting to have a friend in each other, can you?"

"Friendship is one thing, Perrin," he turned his gaze to Nessa, face a little softer, "Is there anything else you want to tell me?"

Posted Image

#11 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:53 PM

Nessa withered under that look, for all the fact Maks was being gentler with her than he was with Perrin. She had a feeling he had already figured out what was going on between her and Perrin, and he wouldn't rest until he heard it confirmed by either one of them. But Perrin had asked her not to say. Nessa shot him an irritated look for making her keep silent before turning back to Maks.

"I.... uhh..." she began, searching desperately for something, anything, to say. "I don't think it's a good idea to stop us from going out," she said at last. "If I'm gonna be doing stuff for the Rebellion, I might have to go out at night, right? I might as well get used to it now, and with Perrin around, I'll be safe. It's just like more training, really."

#12 Maks

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:23 AM

More training, indeed. Nessa's response was good enough, though it was obvious that she and Perrin were hiding something, Maks just didn't know what yet, though he had a fairly good hunch. It shouldn't have surprised him, really, that Perrin and Nessa were developing a... relationship of sorts. And if Maks was going to be completely honest with himself, he probably had seen this coming from a long way off but had refused to acknowledge it.

He turned his eyes back to Perrin who's defiant expression towards Maks and softer, attentive expression towards Nessa confirmed all that he was thinking. Neither of them needed to say a word to him. Maks let out a soft, resigned sigh. Who was he to stop them from being happy in such an unsure and unstable life? In a way, he was even a little jealous. Love, or even a semblance of it, was something he didn't see for himself anytime in the future.

But while he wasn't going to stop the pair from pursuing happiness, he wasn't going to encourage them either. Love and lust were both very distracting emotions, and neither Perrin or Nessa could afford to be distracted. Ever.

"Training.... yes," he focused his gaze on Perrin again, "Be careful. I don't want to see either of you hurt, but if this is what you want, I won't stand in your way."

The dumbstruck expression on Perrin's face as Maks stood with his bowl was at least a little gratifying. Maks turned away from the pair, and as he walked away, said over his shoulder, "Just make sure both of you are where you're supposed to be tonight. I won't hesitate to feed you to Ignas if one of you messes this whole thing up."

Perrin laughed at that, "Don't worry, Dad, we'll do our jobs perfectly." Maks grinned in response and left the pair at the table.

#13 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:32 AM

Maks... wasn't going to stop them? Nessa just stared at him until he left, before slumping forward with a sigh of relief.

"That was awful," she said, eying her meal tentatively. The exchange had stolen her appetite, but she knew she should finish eating. "He knew, Perrin. I didn't say anything, but he knew without me saying. And he kept asking about it."

#14 Perrin

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:11 AM

Perrin chuckled, "Yeah, Maks has always seemed to be annoyingly perceptive. But all's well that ends well, eh?" He leaned forward and spooned a few mouthfuls of soup into his mouth.

"Sleep well? You certainly took your own sweet time getting up this morning... or this afternoon."

Posted Image

#15 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:20 AM

Nessa just grunted, staring down at the meal she would have to try and force herself to eat. Since when had she started not wanting food? It was ridiculous! But the confrontation with Maks, and now a rising feeling of awkwardness, prevented her from summoning the desire to eat anything.

"How can you-" she began, before she was interrupted by yet another cough. "How can you be so cheerful right now? I feel like I left my head out there in the mists."

#16 Perrin

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:35 AM

"I shouldn't feel 'cheerful' about what happened last night?" he asked, glancing at Nessa with a bemused expression as he slurped some more soup, "Last night was probably one of the best nights I've had in a really long time," he paused for a moment, the idea occurring to him that maybe Nessa was now regretting what happened. "Wasn't it for you?"

((I live. Sorry for the month between posts. But I figured now that I got my druid to 85 I could come post while you guys are all on Christmas break.))

Posted Image

#17 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:21 AM

Ack! That wasn't what she had meant at all! "What? No! I mean-" she shook her head. "I mean yes! Of course it was!" she blushed furiously just remembering it though, and stifled another cough.

"It was... really good. Really, really good. I wish it hadn't ended. But my head feels all funny now - " she coughed again " - and then Maks caught me with all those questions, and I had to answer without saying anything, cause you asked me not to, and... agh." She poked at her food; her appetite was nowhere to be found, it seemed. "It wasn't very good for my mood. That's all. I didn't change my mind or anything."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users