Jump to content


The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy



GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
» Forum Rules
» The Story Thus Far
» Character Application
» Frequently Asked Questions
» Character System Guide
» Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
» The Three Metallic Arts
» Guide to the Final Empire
» Map of Luthadel
» The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
» Introduce Yourself
» Universal Continuity Thread
» The Timeline
» Adoptable Characters
» Wanted Characters
» Face Registry
» Open Threads List






Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Getting ready for the ball

W1 D7 LA Tamsin Landell Vizar

18 replies to this topic

#1 Vizar


  • Keeper of Folktales

231
Tineye
  • Age35

  • Relationship StatusSIngle

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:57 PM

While the Landells took their meals, Vizar usually spent his time alone in the library. He would either be studying or organizing his copperminds with the notes that he had taken just that morning. This time it was the latter choice.

Vizar had a lot of practice writing because that was how he organized his notes for the morning. He felt that he would forget something if he just edited them in his head. He took a piece of parchment and wrote everything he had uttered in the morning, then went back to re-read the second set of notes back to him. The editing he did usually made for concise notes that he could then store in one of his larger copperminds.

The man was scrupulous with his research; the more he saved and the more precise it was, the more he could pass onto another keeper, if he is ever given that job. He doubted he would be, but it was possible.

Vizar looked at the sun. It was about to set, and the mists would come out. He decided that the Landells would be finished dining, so he packed up his research, and folded the piece of parchment he had been writing on. He tucked it into a leatherbound book that he wrote notes in most of the time. Picking up the book, he walked through the halls of the Landell manor. They lived on the outskirts of Luthadel, but close enough to attend many of the balls within the city itself.

He walked through the halls, thinking about Tizia, as he had done a lot in the last few days. He realized that this was the time of year that she disappeared. It took him three years of searching for him to find out what happened. His memories during that time were the most hazy in his mind. He didn't spend any time with his copperminds, and that made him feel incredibly lost.

"Tizia, I wish we could have had more time together,"  Vizar spoke to himself aloud. He had spent much of his time talking to her... and yet he knew she didn't have anything to do with the world anymore. She didn't have a spirit lingering here. He was alone with his duties and that was how the world worked; at times Vizar felt like a cynic.

He went to the wing of the manor Tamsin's chambers were located, and told a servant he had arrived. He charged the servant with the duty of telling the young miss he was waiting outside the door to be invited into the antechambers so they could prepare for the coming ball. This would be their final time to talk about... all of the things that Tamsin forgot about when it came to etiquette. He smirked as he thought of that, and then opened his book. Vizar began to study until Tamsin allowed him into the antechamber.


#2 Tamsin Landell


  • Heir to House Landell

256
Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age20

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginSouthern Dominance

  • Allomantic StatusN/A

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:14 PM

Dithering was not something that Tamsin did much of, and so she had chosen the sky-blue silk. It was a little less severe than some of the dresses she wore on everyday occasions, but it still had a white lace yoke that rose to her neck. Ball or no ball, she was not going to alter herself to follow the prevailing fashion. Besides, it was tasteful, in her opinion, and that was the only opinion she would listen to on the subject. Well, she would listen to Vizar if he found fault with it, and she would have listened to her father if he had been reasonable about preferring something else, but brown was not really suited to a ball (and Jansten had simply been sarcastic in any case.)

Curls were something she never would be able to pull off, either; her hair simply did not hold them well. So she had plaited it instead, and gathered it up into a coil at the back of her head with a pair of decorative pins. Tamsin was ready. At least, she believed she was; she saw no need to fuss any further over her appearance. She was presentable.

Having decided that, she took a seat in one of the chairs, waving the hovering lady-in-waiting away, and took up her book again. There was no sense in simply messing about until it was time to depart for the ball. She would have found herself very quickly bored if she did nothing. Picking back up where she had left off - a discussion of how the Steel Ministry assessed the worth of the canal routes, per mile, for purposes of taxation - she was promptly far away from the concerns of the evening.

That lasted until a hesitant voice broke into her concentration. "Milady, Vizar is outside." It was her lady-in-waiting again; she was standing next to Tamsin, twisting her hands together. Jarra was overanxious, and fidgeted about too much. Tamsin had expected when they took her on that the girl was simply new to the position, and would soon settle in. However, despite her attempts to be mild with her, she was still no less high-strung, and had perhaps not been the most suitable choice for the position. Tamsin had half a mind to send Jarra back to her family, and choose another to be her attendant. That would be one thing she might discuss with Vizar, given this opportune moment.

"He may come in, and you may go out, Jarra," Tamsin said, setting a marker-ribbon in the book and laying it to one side on the stand table. She folded her hands one across the other in her lap, and waited for Vizar.


#3 Vizar


  • Keeper of Folktales

231
Tineye
  • Age35

  • Relationship StatusSIngle

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:29 AM

Jarra definitely seemed that she was ... beginning to learn the procedures of the household? Vizar couldn't tell if the girl was really improving at all. She had to constantly be coddled, and that was not how servants were supposed to be treated. His expression was puzzled as she told him very timidly to enter the antechamber. She would definitely have to be spoken to.

He quickly changed his expression upon seeing Mistress Tamsin. He smiled and bowed his head in a greeting. "I trust your day has been well, Mistress?" He actually enjoyed working with Tamsin. She was an intriguing young woman -- and really he couldn't wait for her to turn into an intriguing lady. She would make a wonderful head of house someday.

"I see you are still unwilling to follow the current style of ball gowns for ladies of your age," Vizar said with a smile on his lips. "Are you quite ready for the ball?"


#4 Tamsin Landell


  • Heir to House Landell

256
Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age20

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginSouthern Dominance

  • Allomantic StatusN/A

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:12 AM

Tamsin caught the expression on Vizar's face as he entered the room. There was a trace of displeasure about his eyes. Jarra had seen it too, it appeared; she bit her lip, and hurried away as soon as she had ushered him in. She really acted like they were all about to eat her alive. Tamsin would admit there might be some basis for that in Jansten's attitude on occasion, but really, she did not think that she was that frightening herself. Her expectations were perfectly clear, and not at all unreasonable, and she was not harsh, only honest. And as for Vizar - well, he might be quite different when he was managing the servants, she supposed, but Tamsin could think of no one less threatening than the Terrisman.

"I still don't see any reason why I ought to; I don't dance in any case," Tamsin pointed out. She did not even speak to people her own age very much, although she did not particularly avoid them; they simply did not wind up in the same circles. She had a few acquaintances, but nobody she really connected with. It had always been that way, though. Tamsin did not recall having had friends her own age when she was a little girl, either; her father had been her nearest companion, and his colleagues had formed her society.

There had been a time when she did have a few offers to dance, but if her two left feet had not put an end to them, Jansten had done so. She honestly did not miss it; she felt awkward and quite out of place when dancing.

"I think that I am ready, yes," she finished. "Do you think that I am presentable?"


#5 Vizar


  • Keeper of Folktales

231
Tineye
  • Age35

  • Relationship StatusSIngle

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

Vizar nodded. "I have served your house for year, Mistress. It is very evident that you don't dance... even if I have tried to persuade you to learn. It is not all that bad once you get the hang of it," the Terrisman commented. He thought he should do his duty in attempting to further the education of the girl he served. That was his purpose, after all. He stood, smiling. It was with a fondness that he saw Tamsin. The girl was very set in her ways,and she was only twenty. Vizar could only imagine what she would do when she was older.

Tamsin had a social grace unlike any other, in Vizar's eyes. She was just not as graceful in a physical sense. She could trip over her own two left feet before she would trip over a single word in conversation.

"Presentable, yes. In fashion, no," Vizar said. "Is there anything you wish me to go over before we depart for the ball? Anything you wish to be refreshed on...? Or anything you wish to talk about?" he asked,  thinking of Jarra. He ought to bring her up, but he would give Tamsin that opportunity first. Vizar stood, straight-backed in the center of the room.


#6 Tamsin Landell


  • Heir to House Landell

256
Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age20

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginSouthern Dominance

  • Allomantic StatusN/A

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:36 PM

"But I don't like the young nobles in Luthadel in any case," Tamsin remarked. "I think I'd rather they left me alone, even if I was not as maladroit at the process as I am. Besides, it spares them from Father's firebreathing."

She had had a governess a while ago, who was intended to teach her to be accomplished, including at dancing, but the noblewoman had resigned after a while in despair when Jansten repeatedly roared at her for her failures. It had been more than a little unreasonable to expect her to miraculously instill knowledge into an absentee pupil. In retrospect, Tamsin really felt sorry for the woman; the situation must have been excessively frustrating. After that, Jansten had not hired another, labeling it all as "a bunch of nonsense in any case." Consequently, Tamsin was unable to dance, play, sing, draw, or anything artistically appealing at all.

On the other hand, she was excellent at figures, while some of the noblewomen her age seemed to be challenged to count up to ten. On the whole, Tamsin thought she had gotten the better part of the deal.

She paused for a moment before she replied to his second question. "Jarra seems very high-strung. I'm not sure if it's Father's fault, but in any case, it's rather excessive."


#7 Vizar


  • Keeper of Folktales

231
Tineye
  • Age35

  • Relationship StatusSIngle

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:57 PM

"I was thinking the same thing, Mistress Tamsin." he said, looking toward the door where he had seen Jarra exit. He tried to think of the words he wanted to speak; he knew what had to be said, but there was a kind of tact required when managing the staff of a manor. He was not in charge by any means, but he did have a large say in what was best for Tamsin in the servant areas of things.

"I believe that we have two courses of action. Either we speak to her and ask her to be less timid and to unwind herself... or perhaps we may need to get another lady-in-waiting for you, milady." Vizar uttered. He wondered if he was too harsh, and yet part of him didn't think that Tamsin would take offense.

He thumbed the pages of his leather bound book, seeking comfort from their pages. The idleness of his hands was something that Vizar did not like. He needed to be doing something with himself, lest his thoughts be brought to Tizia. "If we are to get another servant for you, I would be happy to search for one myself, milady."


#8 Tamsin Landell


  • Heir to House Landell

256
Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age20

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginSouthern Dominance

  • Allomantic StatusN/A

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:02 AM

"I daresay you should speak to her first," Tamsin answered. "But if that does not solve things, then I think she ought to be dismissed; it may very well be for the best for her as well, if she is not happy as she is."

"Is there anything that you think I ought to be refreshed on before it is time to go?" She smiled slightly. "The way that you asked it, I rather thought there might have been; or is it only that you think I ought to dress in something more stylish?"


#9 Vizar


  • Keeper of Folktales

231
Tineye
  • Age35

  • Relationship StatusSIngle

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:35 AM

"An excellent suggestion, Mistress Tamsin. I'll have a talk with her when we return from the ball. I am not sure there is enough time to do so beforehand," Vizar stood still, turning his head back to Tamsin. He smiled a little, glad that she had allowed him the chance to speak about other matters that he came here to speak with her about. He had to remind her that she should accept an offer to dance, even if she didn't want to -- noblemen may surprise her. Vizar wanted to help broaden the horizons of the young woman he was representing.

"Perhaps just going over some social etiquette that you must remember... The idea of dressing your age was the number one issue I wanted to address, but I have come to learn about your stubbornness in this area. I didn't think that I would break any ground this evening."


#10 Tamsin Landell


  • Heir to House Landell

256
Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age20

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginSouthern Dominance

  • Allomantic StatusN/A

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:47 AM

She had hit the nail on the head; Vizar did want to lecture her about etiquette. Tamsin could see the smile touch his face as she handed him the opportunity. "We begin to improve at predicting one another, Vizar," she said, laughing. "I know that you will tell me to reform my appearance, and you know that I will do no such thing. So with that settled until the next time that you remind me, what else do you believe I ought to know? I will try to take it to heart."

That sounded very flippant, even though she actually meant it, and she amended herself immediately. "I do listen to you, Vizar; I am simply bad at putting it into practice."


#11 Vizar


  • Keeper of Folktales

231
Tineye
  • Age35

  • Relationship StatusSIngle

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:04 PM

Anyone other than Tamsin wouldn't have gotten this lecture from Vizar. If it had been anyone else he had landed as a mistress, they would have already done what Vizar had told them... and he wouldn't repeat himself. Though, as it is, Vizar preferred this. She did not blindly follow his every word. He was there to advise her, not lead her into a perfect social life. She would have to do that herself. It seemed that she would have more trouble than most other young women her age.

"Mistress Tamsin, I am aware that you listen to me," he said. His face remained a cool and even neutral. "You're a very intelligent young woman... even if you are stubborn at times. I would rather have you hear me and use my advice passively. Do not live by my words. You are too stubborn for that anyway, I believe." Vizar moved his hands behind his back and clasped them together around his leatherbound book.

"I was going to tell you, Mistress, that if a gentleman asks you to dance tonight, try to take into account that this is how young men show affection for you. Many of them will not be up to your standards, but one should not deny the dances..." Vizar knew she wouldn't dance. The girl was very clumsy, and it was almost a fright to watch her. "You have been doing...better in our practicing," Vizar commented finally. He had a servant woman play a male in their last practice. It wouldn't be proper for Vizar himself to dance with Tamsin. For one, he was too tall. The second reason was that he actually didn't like human contact at all. He'd much rather get someone else to do it, should it be necessary. At least she hadn't broken any toes of the servant last time...


{ooc;; That was the biggest fail ever. I'm posting this second one as Vizar xD lame lame lame. I knew when I had more than one character account I was going to make that mistake xD }


#12 Tamsin Landell


  • Heir to House Landell

256
Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age20

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginSouthern Dominance

  • Allomantic StatusN/A

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:06 PM

Vizar was trying to instill confidence in her, it seemed, but he was misunderstanding the nature of the problem. Tamsin was neither afraid of doing badly, nor ashamed of it, which was principally why she did not take pains to correct it; if she had been ashamed about her performance, it probably would have driven her to do so. She supposed she must have been a rather disappointing mistress, despite Vizar's stated preference that she only listen without trying to live by his words.

"By better, you mean, I suppose, that I did not actually trip or step upon my partner's toes," Tamsin said, her smile turning into laughter. "That is not the most stunning of achievements, Vizar."

"Besides, I don't want their affection," she said frankly. "I don't know what to do with it; I'm sure I'd not return it, I don't really like any of the young noblemen in Luthadel, and I don't have any intentions of marrying. I'd far rather stay here with Father. What would he do without me?" His physical comfort was assured with the servants, it was not as if she would abandon him to sheer misery. But he had nobody else to whom he was close. They had no other relatives, not closer than some very distant cousins who didn?t even bear the Landell name, at any rate. And certainly there was nobody that would put up with him, or understand him the way that Tamsin did.

"If someone actually asks me, however," which she doubted would happen, as Jansten had something of a reputation now, "I shan't turn him down. Will that do for a promise?"


#13 Vizar


  • Keeper of Folktales

231
Tineye
  • Age35

  • Relationship StatusSIngle

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:47 AM

Vizar did what he thought was best for Tamsin, even if the girl didn't think he had any sense in his whole body; his job was to put forth the effort to educate her. "It is in your case, Mistress. Three entire dances and not a single toe was stood upon. I was very impressed." The girl's lack of a desire to get married was not... odd persay, it was strange that she would be given the choice.

"I hate to bring it up, Mistress Tamsin, but once your father is taken from this world, what do you intend to do?" Vizar merely had her best interest at heart. He didn't want her to be upset by her choices when her father had left the mortal coil and she was then left alone. "Do you not want to further the Landell name?"

Vizar looked rather puzzled by Tamsin at the moment, and finally opened his mouth once more. "I'm sorry for being so brazen with my questions, Mistress, your wellbeing and happiness is very important to me. If I may offer one more observation. Marriage doesn't necessarily mean leaving your father behind."


#14 Tamsin Landell


  • Heir to House Landell

256
Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age20

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginSouthern Dominance

  • Allomantic StatusN/A

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:01 AM

Tamsin laughed again, shaking her head. When failure to actually break bones counted as impressive, things really were in rather sorry shape. Though in all fairness, she didn't think she'd ever really badly injured anyone. She had turned her own ankle once, but that ought not to count against her record.

She left alone the thought that he had mentioned, glossing over it and leaping to his next comment. "Show me a man who?d put up with Father in his household, Vizar, and I will show you a miracle. And that's begging the question of who in the world Father would ever put up with." He'd driven away the young men that had taken an interest in Tamsin when she debuted. Tamsin knew very well that it was not an accident, either; he had not particularly disliked any of the fellows before they had tried to follow after her, and then he had developed an immediate and very distinct antipathy.

After that, she stopped for a moment, tapping her fingers on the edge of her chair in an uneasy gesture without realizing it. She had passed over the earlier question, discarding the notion as soon as it occurred to her, but it had returned as an unpleasant doubt on the edge of her consciousness. Tamsin never thought about this. She avoided it, usually, and now she felt the urge to change the subject. But Vizar was expecting an answer.

Did she want to further the Landell name? She and Jansten were the last to bear the title. That was easier to think about. She was not really overly enthusiastic about the prospect; a husband would put an end to any independence that she did have. If she was the final Landell, what difference would it really make?

And if she did not have her father?

"I..." she began, and then stopped. She began again. "Father is not so very old! He is only fifty-seven."


#15 Vizar


  • Keeper of Folktales

231
Tineye
  • Age35

  • Relationship StatusSIngle

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:01 AM

Vizar noticed the girl gloss over half of his questions. He didn't blame her, it was a heavy subject indeed. He hadn't the heart to continue on the subject after she had stuttered, stopped, and restarted her sentence. He shook his head. "No, Mistress, he is not old." The Terrisman wondered if she realized that even at sixty-five, he may be dead when she was fifty. Then she would be alone, and would hardly need Vizar... and who would she have then? One was supposed to have children to watch grow up and to help them along the way.

"I shall make it my mission to find such a man, however. I will find a man that you will like, that your father will tolerate -- and that will tolerate your father," Vizar said confidently... As he did so, he recorded it into his metalmind. He would need to write it down in his leatherbound journal so that he could make notes about the choices he would come across. Using a sort of litmus test for men of the same social class as Tamsin. He had a distant memory in his mind of what he said, but just as an idea, not as the actual words.

"Mistress, I apologize for any bad thoughts this conversation might have brought up. I did not mean to suggest anything negative. I just want you to be aware that the future is upon us, whether we like it or not," Vizar said.


#16 Tamsin Landell


  • Heir to House Landell

256
Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age20

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginSouthern Dominance

  • Allomantic StatusN/A

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

Tamsin nodded decisively when Vizar agreed. Her father was certainly not old. Older, perhaps, but not old yet. There was no need to worry about any of that until the time came, and it would not come for a long while. Years.

She was given pause again a short moment later as Vizar made his pronouncement. He meant to play matchmaker? What? Tamsin was actually bemused for a moment. Nobody had ever suggested anything of the sort; she supposed it might have been because she had no close relatives to worry about it - her father certainly did not. "I think it best not to have very high hopes for that," she said after a beat to process it, "I haven't met a one that has anything in him other than stuff and nonsense."

Despite her serious doubts about the project, Tamsin found herself actually curious as to what kinds of men Vizar thought she might get along with - and moreover, what sort he thought could possibly overcome Jansten's objections. Or that would not object to Jansten.

"You needn't apologize, Vizar, for simply being straightforward. But I don't know why I can't simply go on as I have been. I'm learning more about the business all the time, and I daresay I'd be able to manage better without a husband trying to take it all away from me." She smiled slightly. "I rather like my independence. It's not a terrible future, being an old maid."


#17 Vizar


  • Keeper of Folktales

231
Tineye
  • Age35

  • Relationship StatusSIngle

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:55 PM

Vizar nodded to Tamsin. Perhaps she was right. A man would likely take her independence from her, trying to take over the Landell's business. He added that to his notes, silently. Find a man whocan deal with an independent woman. Independent and very stubborn.

"You may be right that it is not a terrible future, but it is not usually one that is chosen by anyone as young as you. I am still going to keep my word," Vizar remarked. He didn't mind if Tamsin had no hope. Vizar needed it to get through each day, so it wasn't even out of his way.

"Shall we move on, then, to other subjects?" Vizar wasn't sure that there were any other things the pair of them needed to speak on before they left, but he would give her the opportunity to bring something up.


#18 Tamsin Landell


  • Heir to House Landell

256
Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age20

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginSouthern Dominance

  • Allomantic StatusN/A

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:08 AM

"I think it is one that often can't be chosen," Tamsin noted, not quite ready to leave the subject alone. "I don't suppose even half the young women that are married off to forge alliances for their Houses have any real desire to spend their lives with the men their families choose for them. I am really very fortunate to be able to say no."

She laced her hands together again in her lap, and tapped her index fingers together. "I don't think love, or even friendship, is often a part of it at all. Father and Mother were the exception."

Tamsin smiled up at Vizar a moment later. "But I shan't stop you." The Terrisman did not often show concern, and kept strictly to his defined place. It touched her that he would make this gesture, which approached friendship more than it fit the relationship between mistress and steward.

"I don't have any more questions; I think I am quite ready for the Casuanas."


#19 Vizar


  • Keeper of Folktales

231
Tineye
  • Age35

  • Relationship StatusSIngle

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:39 AM

Vizar did not believe that marriage was solely about strategy. He had wanted to marry Tizia; there had been no strategy in that. The thought of the woman caused Vizar to pause. He blinked slowly, as if dazed. He wasn't a member of the noble court, but he was sure love could be found inside just as easily as it could be found in the world.

He shook his head. "I am just going to have to respecfully disagree with you, Mistress. I do not believe your parents to be the exception, I believe they proved something; they should be viewed as the ideal," Vizar's face seemed to light up when talking about love. He missed the feeling of being loved quite heavily. If asked, he would not speak further on the subject. Tizia was his own private memory -- and one that would not be shared of his own free will.

"If you are ready, then we should gather our belongings. We should make our way to the Keep. I believe it's about time," Vizar looked out the windows in order to assess the time. It seemed that the mist would begin gathering soon. Time to start their carriage ride into Luthadel.






2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users