The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Inconveniences

6 replies to this topic

#1 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:11 AM

Daerra hurried down the halls of the central keep. She passed several servants, but they paid her no mind. The central keep was normally a place of whispers and silence, and today of all days the lesser members of the family would know to stay out of the way of their betters. The rebels had attacked today, and their target had been none other than Mikhail Elariel, heir to the house title, and Daerra's cousin. However, it wasn't Mikhail's side she was hurrying towards. No, he had survived the attack, despite the fact that there were allomancers mixed in with the rebels. Daerra knew that much for certain; she had indirectly ensured they would be there herself.

If what Daerra had heard whispered from one of her most trusted spies was true, however then Mikhail's survival was the least of her worries, inconvenient though it was. She had other plans that led to his death; plans that were far superior to the one she had just implemented. She would be more careful next time. The rebels obviously couldn't be trusted. She had thought herself so clever, mentioning the fact that Mikhail was a pewterarm, and the terror his assassination would cause, while she knew a rebel tin-eye was listening. The plan had been perfect! Mikhail would have been done for, and even Aaron wouldn't have been able to guess at her involvement. Except, of course, for when Claudia stepped in.

It was her other cousin, Claudia, who Daerra was so anxious to see. She had foolishly stepped into the path of the coins to save her brothers life. The fact that she had survived injuries that should have killed her was not the reason Daerra was so anxious to see her. No, to her, Claudia was just another obstacle between Daerra and her dream. She was concerned with how Claudia survived, for if the rumors were true, then her plans for the future could be seriously jeopardized.

It was all going so perfectly! she thought as she rounded another corner, sending a maid scrambling to get out of her way. Aaron was doing so well in his training, and Mikhail was as good as dead. Why did this have to happen now?

Her thoughts trailed off as she neared her destination. She had been burning bronze, of course. She burned it constantly while within the safety of the central keep. And so, as she as she came within range, she began to sense the familiar beat of pewter. As she got closer, she could tell from the speed, steadiness, and intensity of the pulse, that it was most likely coming from someone who was burning it unconsciously, most likely to heal an injury. There were no other metals pulsing nearby, and so Daerra allowed herself to hope. Maybe, just maybe, the rumors had been exaggerated. Maybe Claudia was just a pewter-arm like her brother.

Needing to know for sure, Daerra slowly opened the door to her cousin's chambers. A single servant was watching over her, waiting to see if her mistress would awake and need anything.

"I would like to speak with my cousin, if that's all right," Daerra said softly. As she spoke, she sniffed lightly, and fought back the tears that suddenly appeared in her eyes. She looked, for all intents and purposes, like a concerned cousin, needing confirmation that her dear family member was alive. The elderly maid nodded knowingly, and quietly exited the room.

Daerra paced up to her cousins bed, and sat down in the chair that had been left there, most likely from when Claudia's mother had left her side. How easy it would be, she mused, to take one of the plush pillows and end this problem before it began. Despite the pewter burning within her, Claudia seemed very weak, and she seemed to be sleeping soundly. But then, she would likely wake suddenly when she began struggling for air, and with pewter, she would likely be able to over power Daerra with ease. Then there was the matter of evidence. If Claudia was found smothered, and Daerra was the only one in the room, no amount of acting or manipulation would convince her uncle she wasn't guilty. With the increased security, she doubted even a fly could enter the central keep undetected, let alone another set of assassins.

"Claudia dear," she whispered, smoothing her cousins hair back from her head, and then shaking her shoulder lightly, hoping to wake her. "Are you all right? Can you hear me?"

#2 Claudia Elariel

• Elariel Mistborn

Theatre Spectator
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

She could hear the coins cutting through the air. They were coming for her and Mikhail. If she didn't get out of the way she'd die. Claudia tried to run, she tried to pull her brother away but her limbs were thick and ungainly. She couldn't move. Pain blossomed throughout her body. The world seemed to spin around. There was a warmth deep in her stomach was distracting. It shouldn't be there. It meant something, that warmth. Something life altering but Claudia couldn't think of what.

"Claudia dear, are you all right? Can you hear me?"

Hands had gripped her shoulder, shaking her. Someone was trying to pull her away from the comforting blackness up to the world where she had to feel pain. Claudia tried to resist. She didn't want to remember; didn't want to wake up but the insistent pulling was leaving her little choice. Her eyelids fluttered open. She winced against the sudden influx of light.

"Mikhail?" She asked hoarsely, but even before she turned her head she knew that wasn't right. The voice that had been calling to her was far to lyrical to be her brother's. When she saw Daerra sitting next to her bed, though, she blinked in confusion. Was she still dreaming? She had never been close to her cousins. They were nice enough to her but she had always been certain that like most of her family they would have been perfectly content to see her fall off the end of the world.

She coughed and took a deep breath. "Daerra...what happened?"

Characters: Claudia Elariel, Jessica Marsdale, Kayla, Adalae Lekal

#3 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:56 PM

Claudia slowly opened her eyes, murmuring her brother's name. As her eyes focused on Daerra, confusion crept into them. A logical response, Daerra supposed. Claudia was hardly the person she would have expected to see waiting by her bedside were their positions reversed. That meant she would have to tread carefully. If she acted to emphatically, she might seem insincere.

"You were attacked cousin," Daerra said gently, lowering her eyes. That was good. The fact that the rebels had gotten so far was a fact that should shame any loyal Elariel. Yes she should be feeling shame right now, both for that, and perhaps not being there to help her cousin. Not meeting Claudia's eyes would also show discomfort and vulnerability, which should make Daerra seem more sympathetic, and alleviate some of the awkwardness between them "Or rather, your brother was. It was the rebels, they came with allomancers. I... I wasn't there when it happened. I just heard now. I'm not sure how much you remember, but you saved your brother's life."

Daerra looked up, and let her eyes begin to dampen slightly. "I know we've never been close Claudia, but when I first heard, and thought you might be lost... well..." Daerra trailed off for effect, and then looked away again, smoothing her hair back behind her ears. Trying to hide her false emotions should make them seem more realistic. "I heard you stepped in between your brother and a coin shot. You're lucky to be alive. I just... I just wanted to see how you were feeling. I was... worried, about you." Daerra paused again, collecting her thoughts. She hoped her mixture of hesitancy and emotion had been convincing. If Claudia began to suspect her, she could find herself in trouble later on. Especially if the rumours would true. Daerra itched just to ask her cousin if she was a mistborn, but she held herself back. First, she'd see if Claudia brought it up on her own. If not, then she would mention it later, making it seem like an afterthought.

"Are you in very much pain?"

#4 Claudia Elariel

• Elariel Mistborn

Theatre Spectator
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:53 AM

She shook her head, puzzled. She was certain she should be, but the pain was a distant thing that seemed barely worth her attention. What in the Lord Ruler's name had happened to her? "Where is Mikhail?" She said fretfully. "You said he's alive...Daerra, please, tell me he was not badly hurt."

Claudia tried to push herself up despite the sudden shooting pain in her side. There was a warmth in her stomach, a pulsing she reached for instinctively, flaring it until the pain lessened. Her eyes widened abruptly. "Lord Ruler," she whispered. "Did I Snap? Is that even possible?"

#5 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:25 AM

Daerra gently tried to ease her cousin back down into her bed. She kept her tone gentle and soothing. "Mikhail is fine, Claudia. He's completely unharmed. You saved him. You're a hero..." Daerra trailed off as the pewter within Claudia suddenly changed from a light subconscious burn into a roar of power. Claudia's eyes widened at the same instant Daerra's did.

"Yes," Daerra whispered. "That's why you are alive. You're burning pewter right now, I could sense it as soon as I walked in the room. You flared it just now..." Daerra trailed off and looked away. She would wait for Claudia to bring it up. It was time to find out for sure if her cousin was a Mistborn.

#6 Claudia Elariel

• Elariel Mistborn

Theatre Spectator
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:34 AM

Claudia flopped back onto the bed. Mikhail was alright. The assassins hadn't killed him. She closed her eyes. "Thank you for coming, Daerra," she said softly. "I am glad I did not have to wake alone." She took a deep breath. She had snapped...years after her beating. She hadn't even thought that was possible. She allowed the pewter-burn to die back down to a steady pulse instead of a flare. She would recognize the metal in the future, now that she knew it's feel.

She blinked abruptly. Recognize that metal. Where had that thought come from? If she was an Allomancer surely so late in her life she was only a Misting, Pewter-arm, like her brother? But no. She remembered something before she had lost consciousness. A feeling like several small wells deep inside. When she concentrated now she could still feel some of them. Tentatively she reached out to one and burned the small power source.

At once her senses flared. The sheets were soft but pressing into her skin. She could feel the bandages bound tightly at her side and smell the salves mixed with some of her own blood. Dearra's breathing became like a roar in her ears and she fought back the urge to be sick. Quickly she extinguished the metal. "Lord Ruler," she breathed.

#7 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

As Claudia lay back down, Daerra began to hope. Maybe the rumours had been false, maybe her cousin wasn't a mistborn. Maybe her plans weren't entirely ruined.

Then she felt it. A long pulse, with a quick pattern, similar to pewter, except reversed. While a pewter pulsed seemed to push against her, this one pulled. Claudia was burning tin.

"It's true," Daerra said. Despite herself, Daerra found herself speaking out loud, in a hushed tone. "You are Mistborn."

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users