The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Brooksley

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Brooksley_*

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:46 AM

Character Name Brooksley
Type of Character: Misting (tineye)

Player Information
Name: Brooksley
Contact Information: [email protected]

Character Information
Name: Brooksley
Type: skaa
Place of Origin: Port Tresteau
Occupation: acrobat and street performer by day, contracted tineye spy at night
Relationship Status: single

Powers: Tineye
-Type: Misting
-Metal(s) Used: Tin
-Degree of Skill: Intermediate

Appearance: Brooksley is an acrobat she?s small, only about 5?3?, but very toned. She has long brown hair, which she usually keeps pulled back, and bright green eyes. She has a small distinct scar above her left eye that serves as a reminder of the beating she took as a child from her drunken father, which in turn caused Brooksley to snap.

Special Skills: Brooksley is pretty athletic, and her tineye abilities have also served as a means of education, both on and off the street. She knows better than to let her nightly employers get the better of her.
Strengths:She can squeeze herself into tight places because of her great flexibility, which makes listening in on private conversations easier. Although she is only a tineye her acrobatic skills can deceptively make her appear to be a mistborn as she leaps along rooftops and jumps from shop signs at night.
Weaknesses: Believes there is only one way to do things?her way. And she frequently struggles to be more open minded. The only group of people she trusts enough to hang around for protection is her group of street performers, and her acerbic sarcasm doesn?t help her make friends very easily

Personality: Brooksley is very blunt and doesn?t like to waste time with talk. From her nightly eavesdropping she thinks that talking is a way of giving away power and strategy, because it always tends to lead to oily secrets. She?s stubborn and proud of her athletic abilities, few other girls can really keep up with the guys like she does.

History: Brooksley is a runaway skaa who left her plantation at the age of 10 after her drunken father beat her. The beating left Brooksley snapped, but resilient. As she wandered into Luthadel, starving and nearly delirious, she was enticed by a greasy skaa crewleader named Bentham who was looking for a new acrobat after his last one attracted the wrong kind of attention from a noble. In exchange for food, Brooksley agreed to join Bentham?s group.

Bentham realized he had made a good investment when Brooksley started responding to some of the barely audible grumblings from the other acrobats in the group. He would purposely start whispering Brooksley?s name as the gathered audience would cheer on the performers, and wait for her ears to perk up and for her to turn toward him. Bentham started asking Brooksley to listen for the audience members who had the ?loudest? coinpurses, and told her to focus her attention on that section of the crowd. Brooksley quickly picked up on how Bentham was exploiting this little talent of hers, but she hasn?t ever let Bentham know that she knows she?s a tineye.

At night Brooksley listens and waits until Bentham is sound asleep and then sneaks out to make her own income as a contracted tineye, selling petty gossip from the great houses.

She?s rather content with where?s she?s at but she worries that one day someone is going to let her ?secret talent? slip to the wrong person and it will cost her dearly. She also tries to act repulsively to any attention from young noblemen to avoid suffering the same fate as the young acrobat before her, but she does wish she had someone to confide in.

Roleplay Sample
Wait. Count the snores. The last time you decided to sneak out before he hit 5 you almost had to forfeit the job because you had to wait for him to fall asleep again. Brooksley lay very still in the corner of the groups large tent. She could hear Bentham?s heavy breathing on the other side. One?.Snoring is such an impractical habit. No need to announce to everyone lurking in the dark at Alhstrom square that we?re all completely unaware of our surroundings?.two, three?.ugh hurry up Bentham, this deal is going down any minute now?four and a ha- One of the bigger performers rolled over next to Bentham causing him to stir. Oh for goodness sake, I need to start buying a sleeping draught or something?FIVE!

Brooksley quietly rose from her nest of blankets and stealthily stepped in and out of long and limber bodies. As soon as she hit the cobblestones, she took of sprinting through the streets. How much longer will she wait for me? Truly you?d think she?d pay better if she realized no one cares about her trivial longings.

The noblewoman Brooksley had been working for was not the typical client. The young lady had to be at least ten years Brooksley?s senior and had a different nobleman she was pining over every week. It wasn?t that the noblewoman was unattractive physically, but Brooksley didn?t have to know the mannerisms of courtship to guess that the woman?s self obsession and constant twittering, would frighten away most suitors, if any, the moment the she opened her mouth.

Brooksley reached a back alley with a rain gutter running along the entire length of the building. Quickly she scaled the wall up to the roof and started leaping along the close quarter buildings. As she neared the meeting place, Brooksley stopped and pulled a tin vial out of her shoe. She wasn?t about to be mislead at the rendezvous by a hidden misting lurking in the shadows. As she turned on her tin, she jumped to the rooftop just above the meeting point.

There she is. Hands on hips. Pursed lips. Tapping foot. Yep. I?m late.

Brooksley jumped from the low roof onto the street, landing just in front of the noblewoman, and cursing under her breath as the final stop sent a stinging pain up her leg thanks to her tin heightened senses. I keep forgetting to stop burning before I jump like that.

?I thought you were just a tineye? the woman said, recovering from her startling.

Brooksley just shrugged and replied with disinterest, ?Where to, tonight??

?Well, there?s this nobleman I?ve had my eye on for sometime now and he?s very handsome you see and of course we?d be the perfect match because we both like the color mauve. You do know what the color mauve looks like? He?s also incredibly wealthy and his family supplies the Lord ruler with some commodity that?s very necessary to the empi-?

?I don?t have all night!? Brooksley interrupted. ?Where to??

?Someone told me he?s going to be doing business in the Silver Quarter tonight.? said the woman, now annoyed.

Not only is she a blithering idiot, but she also expects me to venture into an area that?s full of nighttime trouble?

?Fine, but you?ll be paying me double tonight.?

?I most certainly will not!?

?Then I won?t be taking the job and you can find yourself a new pair of ears.?

Brooksley turned to walk down the street. One?Two?

?Wait!?

That was quick.

?Alright! But if you?re late again I?ll dock you.?

?Fair enough. Wait here, this might be awhile.?

Brooksley scaled up the nearest building and headed for the Silver Quarter.

Now, to just stay out of the way. She?s grossly underpaying me.

[I]

#2 KChan

Atium Chandelier

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:27 PM

Hi there! First of all, I would like to apologize for taking so long to get back to you. All of us on the staff have been pretty slammed with schoolwork and other real life happenings, and unfortunately, that means we haven't had time for the site.

There are a few concerns we have about your character. The first is that a group of skaa street performers would not last long in Luthadel. Skaa are expected to work; even the thieves have to hide in the shadows. A group like this would be targeted by the Ministry very quickly. One suggestion that was made is to have this group backed/leased by some nobleman who uses them for entertainment.

I'm curious to know how Brooksley found out she's a Tineye. Most skaa Allomancers have no idea what they're doing; even if they have some idea of their powers, they don't realize it's Allomancy. Also, how does she get her tin? A skaa can't just walk to the store and buy some, and she'd need a steady supply if she hires out her services.

My final concern is with her physical abilities. While I know it's possible to get up and down from roofs - I've seen plenty of parkour videos - the method here is just a little too extreme to believe. No human being can jump from the ground to a roof, unless it's a very low roof, and if she jumped off one the way you describe - without easing her way down or rolling to disperse the energy of the impact - she would shatter her legs and be very seriously injured. The human body just isn't made to put up with that kind of stress, no matter how much you train it. She would have to have pewter.

That said, I'm more than happy to help if you have any questions. Thank you for your application!

Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users