The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

That's How You Know

29 replies to this topic

#1 Delissia

• Imposter

House Raisaal
  • Age20

• Relationship StatusIt's Complicated

• OriginThe Western Dominance

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:58 PM

Delissia stepped away from Kardin, and looked him up and down. The poor boy, through their conversation, Delissia was becoming increasingly certain that he knew next to nothing about love. Couldn't he see that Luci was obviously head over heels in love with him? And that all he needed to do was make the first move? For once in her life, words failed her, and so Delissia resorted to the only thing she had left. Song.

"How does she know you love her? How does she know she's yours?"

#2 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:03 PM

Kardin's face went redder than he thought it ever could have. "No, no, no," he denied frantically - "she, me, I, no no - !"

#3 Delissia

• Imposter

House Raisaal
  • Age20

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

Delissia stopped singing . Kardin was obviously distressed. A shame, the song was sounding so pretty. Delissia loved pretty songs.

Trying to keep the disappointment out of her voice, Delissia replied, "Well, does she?"

#4 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:10 PM

Kardin stared at the ground. "N-n-no," he whispered, "she d-doesn't, wh-why would she? Not m-m-me."

#5 Daeric Vaudin

• Runaway Heir

Atium Chandelier
  • Age21

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:36 PM

It was time for an intervention.

"How does she know that you love her?" Jalen sang.

"Jalen, what are you doing?" Daeric asked, grabbing him by the sleeve and trying to pull him along. Jalen, however, didn't appear to want to go anywhere. He just grinned, waiting for Delissia to continue.

Posted Image

#6 Delissia

• Imposter

House Raisaal
  • Age20

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:33 AM

When Jalen joined in, Delissia was delighted. She had been so excited about her song, and it was nice to see it wouldn't be wasted. At least someone knew how to appreciate good song and dance!

"How do you show her you love her?"

#7 Daeric Vaudin

• Runaway Heir

Atium Chandelier
  • Age21

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:39 AM

Jalen beamed. "How does she know that you reeeeally~?" he stopped, waiting for Delissia to take over the song.

Daeric groaned.

Posted Image

#8 Delissia

• Imposter

House Raisaal
  • Age20

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:48 AM

Delissia joined in, "Really, truly, love her." This was going to be great fun, she just knew it!

"How does she know that you love her?
How do you show her you love her?
How does she know that you really, really, truely love her?"

Taking Kardin, she pulled him down the street where they found several skaa performers, sponsored by a local nobleman for publicity reasons, joining into their dance routine. As she walked she continued singing, hoping Kardin might get the point and join in. Jalen and the four continued to follow behind, backing her up. My but this was fun.

"It's not enough to take the one you love for granted
You must remind her, or she'll be inclined to say...
"How do I know he loves me?"
"How do I know he's mine?"

Taking props from a friendly beggar, Delissia smiled and preceeded to give Kardin a demonstration of how he might attain Luci's affections.

"Well does he leave a little note to tell you you are on his mind?
Lend you a parasol when the ash is grey? Heyy!
He'll find a new way to show you, a little bit everyday
That's how you know, that's how you know!
He's your love..."

#9 Daeric Vaudin

• Runaway Heir

Atium Chandelier
  • Age21

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:57 AM

They were pulled into the musical number before they could stop themselves. And so, when Delissia returned the song to Jalen, all four of the friends joined in, in a pleasing harmony:

"You've got to show her you need her ;
Don't treat her like a mind reader!
Each day do something to lead her
To believe you love her!"

Posted Image

#10 Delissia

• Imposter

House Raisaal
  • Age20

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:02 AM

Kardin still seemed confused, and so, amid a whirl of dancing figures, for it seemed a whole skaa tenament had joined in now, she tried once again to get him to understand.

"Everybody wants to live happily ever after
Everybody wants to know their true love is true...
How do you know he loves you?
How do you know he's yours?"

More skaa flooded the streets, lifting their voices to join in with the four in backing her up. Strange, she thought, I don't think I've ever heard this much music before. While there was a simple beauty to the Lord Ruler's church, it was not a faith of song. A pity, Delissia was willing to bet the empire would be a much brighter place with more music.

Smiling, she took Kardin's hands, and began whirling him around.

"Well does he take you out dancin' just so he can hold you close?"

#11 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:19 AM

"Dedicate a song with words in
Just for you? Ohhh!

He'll find his own way to tell you
With the little things he'll do
That's how you know
That's how you know!

He's your love
He's your love..."

Kardin had no idea when or how it had happened, but somewhere in the middle of his embarrassment and near-panic he had found himself dancing with Delissia and the Four through the streets. It was the music. It was in the air, and everyone seemed to be hearing it at once. Even the skaa had flooded out into the streets, singing with them in a massed chorus. Somehow, they all knew the words.

"B-but Delissia," he asked, "how do I know she loves me?"

#12 Delissia

• Imposter

House Raisaal
  • Age20

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:31 AM

And suddenly all that beautiful music came to a jarring halt. Delissia sighed, and turned to the four. Pointing at each one in turn, she began giving directions. "Percussion. Strings. Winds," then, gesturing to hereself, "Words."

She let go of Kardin's arms, and looked him straight in the eyes. As she sang, she gestured, indicating where Luci would be. Maybe if she could get him to visualize, he'd get the picture.

"There you see her,
Sitting there across the way.
You don't to got a lot to say,
But there's something about her."

Delissia began to dance around him, and sang softly into his ear. Her skaa chorus, taking the cue, began to back her up again, with soft mood music.

"And you don't know why,
But you're dying to try,
You wanna... kiss the girl."

Kardin looked visibly uncomfortable, so Delissia patted him on the shoulder in a consoling fashion. She'd ease him into it then.

"Yes, you want her," She sang, pointing to where the imaginary Luci was standing.
"Look at her you know you do.
It's possible she wants you, too,
There is one way to ask her."

Kardin looked like he might interject, but Delissia sushed him with a finger across his lips.

"It don't take a word,
Not a single word,
Go on and kiss the girl."

Delissia gave Kardin a push, but he stumbled to a stop. Some men were just hopeless! She found herself missing Sanna. Sighing, she continued her song.

"Sing with me now," she said to the crowd of humming people as she fixed Kardin with a level stare.

"Sha-la-la-la-la-la
My, oh, my,
Look at the boy, too shy
He ain't gonna kiss the girl.
Sha-la-la-la-la-la
Ain't that sad,
Ain't it a shame, too bad.
You gonna miss the girl."

Delissia crossed her arms in a huff, and turned away from Kardin to illustrate her point.

#13 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:54 AM

The Four didn't have the instruments Delissia asked for, but they did have something better: their voices. They sang wordlessly, using their harmony as backup music for Delissia's song.

<div align=center>Posted Image</div>

There it was again. Music. Luci had been hearing it all day. This time, however, she decided to sing along as she made her way through the markets toward the library.

"Not town, not a quiet village,
Not a day like the one before.
Not a town, a city full of people, waking up to say:"

She was going to continue, but people began appearing out of buildings and joining in:

"Bonjour!"

"Bonjour!"

"Bonjour!"

"Bonjour!"

"Bonjour!"

Luci smiled at them all, and continued her song:

"There go the vendors with their trays like always.
I wonder what they'll try to sell?
Not a morning's been the same since the morning that we came,
And it still feels upside-down!"

Before she could continue, a shopkeeper called out to her: "Good morning, Lucille!"

"Good morning, My Lord!" she answered happily. Why was the music still going? And how did that man know her name?

"Where you off to?"

"The library. I just finished the most wonderful essays! About philosophy! And logic! And how---"

"That's nice." He didn't seem very interested. "Marie! The baguettes! Hurry up!"

Well. So much for him. Bakers weren't much for philosophy, she supposed. Ah, well. As she continued along, she couldn't help but notice that other people had taken up her song. She didn't pay attention to the words, but their melody added a nice spring to her step:

"Look, there she goes! That girl is strange, no question.
Dazed and distracted, can't you tell?"

"Never part of any crowd."

"Cuz her heads up on some cloud."

"No denying she's a funny girl, Lucille!"

"Bonjour!"

"Good day!"

"How is your family?"

"Bonjour!"

"Good day!"

"How is your wife?"

"I need six eggs!"

"That's too expensive!"

"There must be more than this Luthadel life!" she sang, then stepped into the library, grinning from ear to ear, and found herself greeted by Skalden, the kindly obligator who tended to the library.

"Ah! Lucille!" he greeted her with a smile. Was the music affecting Skalden too? It was hard to tell.

"Good Morning!" she greeted in return. "I've come to return the book I've borrowed."

"Finished already?" he asked, surprised.

Luci beamed. "Oh, I couldn't put it down. Got anything new?"

Skalden laughed, apparently amused by her enthusiasm. "Not since yesterday!"

"That's alright." She hadn't really been expecting any new arrivals, but it would have been a pleasant surprise. "I'll borrow..." she looked around thoughtfully, then spied an old favorite peeking out from among the stacks of returned books that Skalden had yet to check in, and snatched it up happily. "This one!"

"That one?!" Skalden exclaimed in surprise. "But you've read it twice!"

"Well, it's my favorite!" Luci explained with a grin. Far off places, shocking histories, remarkable application of law, and the most fascinating logic!"

Skalden grinned. "Well, if you like it all that much, it's yours."

"But, Your Grace!" Luci exclaimed in shock. Now she knew the music was infecting him. The Skalden she knew, kind or not, would never simply give her a book out of the library.

"I insist."

"Well, thank you!" she said sincerely as Skalden marked the book as permanently withdrawn from the collection and handed it back to her. "Thank you very much!" She gave Skalden one last bright smile and dashed back out into the street. She wanted to get back to the song, and her book! Again, she didn't pay attention to the words people sang as she passed them:

"Look, there she goes - that girl is so peculiar. I wonder if she's feeling well?

"With a dreamy far off look."

"And her nose stuck in a book."

"What a puzzle to the rest of us, Lucille!"

Luci's feet were starting to hurt, so she sat down to read for a spell. Seemingly drawn to the music, a group of children appeared and took up their games next to her. Some peeked over the edge of her book, so she showed it to them:

"Oh! Isn't this amazing? It's my favorite part because --- you'll see! Here's where we read her theory --- but she won't reveal
the final piece till chapter three!"

The children didn't seem that interesting, but that was all right; she had had her rest, and now she was ready to move along on her way. As though on queue, the people around began to sing again.

"Now, it's no wonder her name means little light, her smile has got no parallel!"

"But behind that fair facade, I'm afraid she's rather odd.
Very different from the rest of us."

"She's nothing like the rest of us. Yes, different from the rest of us, Lucille!"

She didn't notice them, but behind her, a young lordling and his attendant were heading home from a night of gambling when they caught sight of her and began to follow.

"Wow! You didn't miss a toss, My Lord! You're the greatest cards player in the whole Empire!"

"I know."

"No man alive stands a chance against you. And no girl for that matter."

"It's true, Lafue. And I've got my sights set on the one."

"The Deveaux girl!?"

"She's the one! The lucky girl I'm going to marry!"

"But she's..."

"The most beautiful girl in Luthadel. That makes her the best! And don't I deserve the best!?"

"Well of course, I mean you do, I mean..."

The lordling just grinned and puffed up his chest, obviously feeling rather full of himself, and began to sing:

"Right from the moment when I met her, saw her, I said she's gorgeous and I fell! In Luthadel there's only she, who is beautiful
as me. So I'm making plans to marry Lucille!"

He may have adored Lucille, but he had a group of adoring women already. As the lordling passed, the ladies began to sing about him too, though Lucille still wasn't paying attention to the words.

"Look there he goes, isn't he dreamy? Lord Wintersett, oh he's so cute!
Be still, my heart, I'm hardly breathing! He's such a strong, tall, dark, and handsome brute!"

"Bonjour!"

"Pardon!"

"Good day!"

"I see!"

"You call this bacon?"

"What lovely grapes!"

"Some cheese--"

"Ten yards!"

"--one pound--"

"'scuse me!"

"I'll get the knife."

"Please let me through!"

"This bread -"

"Those fish -"

"-- it's stale!"

"-- they smell!"

"Madame's mistaken."

"Well, maybe so--"

"Good morning!"

"Oh, good morning!"

Luci sighed, then flung her arms out and spun around in a circle, rejoining the song:

"There must be more than this Luthadel life!"

Lord Wintersett was determined to remain in the song as well.

"Just watch, I'm going to make Lucille my wife!"

Unfortunately for him, though, the rest of the crowd who had joined in the song were more than happy to block his way to Lucille, even while they sang.

"Look, there she goes,
The girl is strange but special -
A most peculiar mademoiselle!"

"It's a pity and a sin--"

"-- She doesn't quite fit in!"

"'Cause she really is a funny girl,
A beauty but a funny girl,
She really is a funny girl,
Lucille!"

Luci blinked, having heard her name at the end of the song, and turned around.... only to see the crowd already dispersing now that the music is over. What on earth...?

She turned to keep walking, and realized with a start that she had already reached Ahlstrom Square. Had she really walked this far with her nose buried in her book?

That didn't matter, though. All other thoughts fled from her head at the sight of one man:

Kardin Tekiel.

Posted Image

#14 Gervais Lekal

• A monkey's uncle

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age36

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:18 AM

The sun was shining brightly, and the air was clear; it was a cool, pleasant morning. And everyone around him was singing.

Gervais refused to obey the desires of the music floating in the air, fighting off the urge to join the populace in their mass insanity.

He watched as the crowd closed around Lucille, dancing as if the entirety of the damned city had been turned into a ballroom, or perhaps a music-hall.

And then he heard her voice lifting out over all the rest. He'd never heard her sing before...Why the devil was she singing, why was anyone singing? But her voice was beautiful. It sent a strange thrill through him, and he took a step towards her, his eyes fixed on her. The crowd no longer seemed to matter so much.

Two men danced out in front of him, blocking his view of Lucille. Gervais heard every word of their conversation, and the abhorrent song which followed. He disliked it, if possible, even more than the song the rest of the abominably cheerful multitude was caterwauling out.

His eyes narrowed to slits, he waited until Wintersett was poised on the edge of the canal, and then he struck. His boot slammed into the center of the man's chest, and Wintersett, flailing madly, toppled over backwards to end up with an almighty splash in the filthy canal water.

The shorter man with Wintersett whirled to face Gervais, shocked, but in scant seconds later he was swimming right next to his friend.

"My felicitations upon your romantic endeavours," Gervais sneered at him, and then stalked off after the damn girl.

#15 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:30 AM

As the song rose up around him, Kardin stood frozen, his heart racing and trying to beat its way out of his chest. There you see her...Standing there across the way. He stepped forward, his gaze linked with Lucille's, carried on the wave of the music, and he reached out to take her hands.

Yes, you want her. Look at her, you know you do...

The square seemed to be spinning around him, and he felt dizzy, terrified, and strangely full of joy all at the same time.

It's possible she wants you too,
There is one way to ask her.

He drew her closer, and his head bent towards hers.

#16 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:01 AM

Lucille felt her heart beat faster and faster as Kardin bent closer to her. What was he doing?

He leaned closer.

She felt heat rise in her cheeks as the space between them vanished. Was Kardin really going to...?

She found herself leaning closer to him and closed her eyes.

Posted Image

#17 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:51 AM

Kardin held one of her hands still clasped in his, but he raised his other hand to touch her face, tracing her cheek gently. Her eyes closed, and she leaned in towards him. Kardin closed his eyes as well. It seemed to make him braver.

It don't take a word, not a single word...

Guided by instinct, his lips found Lucille's, and he kissed her, his lips brushing softly against hers.

He stepped back slightly, and drew her hand to his heart. Could she feel it beating? He thought she must be able to hear it.

#18 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:00 AM

Their lips met, and a thrill shot through her. It wasn't until she felt him pressing her hand against his chest that she opened her eyes, still feeling more than a little breathless from the kiss.

She was surprised to notice that his heart was pounding every bit as much as hers, though she had no idea why she should feel that way. He had every right to be terrified. She was scared too, but also happier than she had ever been. She wanted to tell him. Let him know how she felt.

Of course, today being what it was, it came out in the form of a song:

"All those days, watching from the windows.
All those years, outside looking in.
All that time, never even knowing
Just how blind I've been.
Now I'm here, blinking in the sunlight.
Now I'm here, suddenly I see.
Standing here, it's all so clear:
I'm where I'm meant to be

"And at last, I see the light,
And it's like the fog has lifted.
And at last, I see the light,
And it's like the sky is new.
And it's warm and real and bright,
And the world has somehow shifted.
All at once, everything looks different
Now that I see you."

Posted Image

#19 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:09 AM

Kardin felt a surge of pure joy as he opened his eyes at last and saw her looking back at him, her smile full of light. She was so beautiful. She was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen - he had never understood before what she meant to him. And suddenly he knew.

He joined in her song, the music once again carrying him away. It felt as if he might be dreaming, and yet this was more real than any dream could possibly be.

"All those days chasing down a daydream,
All those years living in a blur.
All that time never truly seeing,
Things the way they were.
Now she's here, shining in the sunlight,
Now she's here, suddenly I know
If she's here it's crystal clear -
I'm where I'm meant to go!"

#20 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:15 AM

If possible, Luci smiled even more brightly when Kardin sang back to her. Something swelled up inside her, and their voices blended together in a beautiful harmony.

"And at last I see the light,"

"And it's like the fog is lifted."

"And at last I see the light,"

"And it's like the sky is new!"

"And it's warm and real and bright,
And the world has somehow shifted.
All at once, everything is different,
Now that I see you. Now that I see you."

Still beaming, Lucille sighed in contentment and rested her head on Kardin's shoulder. She didn't even care that they had just kissed in the middle of Ahlstrom Square. She didn't care where she was at all; all that mattered was that wherever it was, she was with Kardin.

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users