The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Julian Casuana

1 reply to this topic

#1 Julian Casuana

• Former Lord Casuana

High House Noble
  • Age28

• Relationship StatusMarried to Mia Casuana

• OriginAustrex, Southern Dominance

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:13 AM

<div align=center>"<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>JULIAN CASUANA</span>"
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Misting</span></div>

Player Information
Handle : Chaos2651
Contact : AIM - Chaos2651; YIM - Chaos2651; MSN - [email protected]

Character Information
Name: Julian Casuana
Type: Nobleman (disguised as skaa. See below)
Marital Status: Married to Mia Casuana

Powers
Type of Powers: Allomancy
Metals Used: Zinc
Degree of Skill: Advanced

Appearance
Hair: Straight, dark brown hair. When he was the lord of House Casuana, he was distinctive for having long, shoulder-length hair, which is uncommon in Luthadel noble society. During his transformation into a "skaa", he cut the hair to only an inch long. The lack of baths and cleanliness has led his hair to become a greasy, ashstained mess.
Eyes: Almond shape, with a hazel color.
Height: 5'8". Short for a nobleman, yet at the same time, a bit tall for a skaa. Julian has always hated his height, no matter what life he lived.
Weight: Currently, 118 pounds. His taskmaster doesn't feed him enough.
Voice: Julian's voice is also caught between worlds. It isn't deep enough to be very intimidating, but it has no feminine qualities to it. His voice often carries an air of arrogance.
Overall Appearance: As a nobleman, Julian was quite thin, yet muscular from his combat training. Now, as a skaa, he looked downright decrepit. He wore nothing of the flamboyant suits he was used to, instead wearing rags.

Other
Special Skills: He has a particular knack for chemistry and metalworking, two skills which combined, made him very effective.
Strengths: When Julian's father, Lucius, arrived in Luthadel, Julian made no effort to hide his Rioting abilities. He would Riot people frequently. But soon, many Allomancers wouldn't catch when Julian began subtly nudging their emotions. Everyone expected him to flamboyantly Pull on their emotions, when all along it was a ruse. Julian has always had a knack at reading emotions, and his nearly fifteen years of Rioting experience makes him immensely powerful. His other strengths are in metal-working and mixing alloys, as well as training with the swords he forges.
Weaknesses: One thing that motivated him to infiltrate the skaa was his utter ineptitude with finance. Within a year of his father's murder, if Julian did not have Mia to help with the business end of the House, Casuana would have fallen from grace faster than ash falls from the sky. Julian is a people person, not a finance guy. Ironically, the very things that made him a strong nobleman are now useless as a skaa, because he dares not Riot anyone with Inquisitors on the loose, and skaa aren't allowed to wield weapons.

Personality

Julian thought he knew what life was like--before he became a skaa. He had a strong sense of morality, even within the skewed philosophies of the Final Empire. He knew what was right, and he would go after what he felt was right. He was not religious, and he had a flair of arrogance.

All that changed in the streets. He started praying to the Lord Ruler, actively, to save him from this terror. He needed to learn to shut his mouth. And he needed to start putting some faith into the skaa, even though after a skaa killed his father, he scarcely trusted them.

One thing stayed constant: he had a temper, and on the street, he wasn't quite sure whether that was a good or a bad thing.

History

Julian wept when his father died. It was too early. Despite being twenty-seven, he did not grasp the basics of finance. Lucius Casuana was the master merchant, who took his long-running forge business--gaining a contract with the Luthadel Garrison in the process for swords, halberds, and knives, making thousands of boxings over the years--and transformed it into an industrial empire. His father made Casuana into a Great House of Luthadel! And as the newest Great House in Luthadel, Julian was obligated to head his father's empire; he was an only child. He just didn't know how to run a Great House.

In retrospect, his father was brilliant for pushing him to marry Mia Deveaux. Julian loved her since the first Luthadel ball he attended when he was 18, but as soon as Lucius discovered the hidden relationship, he kept pushing Julian to marry her. Lucius needed an ally in the capital, and a marriage with House Deveaux would increase Casuana's standing immensely within the nobility. Julian had resented his father's constant pushing. In Julian's opinion, love could not be rushed.

Mia turned out to be Julian's best asset after his father's murder. Her mathmatical mind was a natural match for the financial end of business, and she had an unexpectedly powerful determination which made business negotiations second-nature. If Julian didn't have Mia, Casuana would have fallen in a matter of months.

Julian thought his father was a hard man, but in reality, he wasn't. He never beat Julian--the only way Julian Snapped was because he had fallen in the molten forge for just a moment when he was thirteen. Lucius was a boundlessly kind man, yet at the same time, hard enough to create a new Great House.

It had only been five years since Casuana built their Keep in Luthadel, thereby bestowing them with the status of "Great House". Five years, and a skaa murders his father. Julian was mostly ambivalent towards the skaa up until that moment. They were good workers, and they did nothing to harm him. But his father's murder ended Julian's naivety.

He entered into a dangerous Final Empire with only his wife of seven years (they married when he was 21) at his side. Julian's mother died when he was six. His father was his only other real family member. There were some second-cousins, but they didn't matter; they just recently flocked to Casuana because of Lucius's grand success.

Despaired and inept at running Casuana, Julian simply wanted to forge. But he had bigger responsibilities, responsibilities which could not meet. And inside, he began to hate the skaa. They were becoming more violent. Subtly, they were wrecking havoc. There had to be something Julian could do instead of destroying his father's legacy.

He came up with a plan: he would become a skaa. Infiltrate their ranks. Discover their Allomancers. Julian was, after all, a superb Rioter. He could make it happen. And he'd leave Casuana to Mia, because that was her forte--they had no heirs yet.

Julian needed to go incognito. He simply couldn't disappear as lord of a Great House without raising suspicion. Mia suggested that he fake his own death. No one suspect a new skaa to be the Lord Casuana if that Lord was dead.

Julian would be a skaa. He was a people person. He knew how to read and manipulate emotions. He was well read, and trained in hand-to-hand combat. He could do it.

So, Julian created the plan: he would make a new identity as a skaa steelworker, and then Mia would manipulate events to make sure Julian was hired at one of Casuana's own steelworks.

Mia bid her husband farewell, and said she would take care of Julian's death. So Julian cut his hair, stained his clothes with ash, and in the middle of the night, he delved into the mists--not a noble, but a skaa.

Roleplay Sample

Julian couldn't hide anymore. That was all he had done in his life in the nobility: hide from himself, hide from his God, and hide from his obligations. Of course, being in Kenton Street disguised as a skaa was just another elaborate way to escape from his responsibilities as Lord of House Casuana. Not that it really mattered now. He was dead, after all.

"You, my lord!" Julian said to a nearby nobleman. It was obvious who was the noble and who was skaa. Two weeks ago, Julian could have carried himself like that nobleman. Had two weeks as a skaa changed him so much?

The noble glanced to Julian, then noticed his stock of weapons. Six swords and nine knives sat on Julian's table. The noble raised his eyebrow. Clearly, the man didn't recognize Julian, nor did he trust a skaa with any sort of weaponry. Such were the days of the Inquisition.

What a time this would be for Rioting, Julian thought, despaired. Just like that noble, Julian needed to be wary these days--perhaps moreso. If he were to burn zinc, any Inquisitor could sense him, and that would not be good. Lord Julian Casuana was supposed to be dead, not hiding as a skaa.

Julian angled his head towards the right, where his taskmaster sat in a wooden chair. The taskmaster was asleep, but Julian hoped it would ease the nobleman's wary mind. It would have been so easy to Riot the nobleman's feelings of security and confidence. Things should not have been this hard. Julian was learning just how arduous and imprisoned skaa truly lived.

Julian made a raspy cough for good measure. Nobles loved to think they were superior in any way, even if it was for silly reasons, like because a skaa coughed pitifully. "My lord, are you an Allomancer?"

The nobleman was taken aback immediately. You idiot! Julian thought to himself.

"Um, er, excuse me, my lord, for my hastiness," Julian quickly said. "I meant, if you were not an Allomancer, or even if you were, these blades would easily turn the tide against a weak skaa. Well, except for Coinshots, but still, this protection these blades give is well worth it. Skaa attacks are... growing more fierce... every day."

Julian looked downwards, but he could feel the nobleman's gaze burning into his scalp. Lord Casuana finally knew the meaning of fear and weakness. I wish I could go back, he thought, terrified. Nothing is worth this.

The nobleman woke up the taskmaster. No, Julian cursed. How could he forget? Skaa weren't supposed to know anything about Allomancy.

The two men, both noble-born, began whispering furiously. The nobleman was clearly unnerved. After a few minutes of debate, the nobleman walked off, and for his trouble, Julian's taskmaster gave him one of the knives.

Julian bowed to his taskmaster. "M-m-my lord, at my old House, they taught me some basics of Allomantic theory, so we could optimize properties of our weapons! It was nothing but insolence--"

"I don't care what your old master did," the taskmaster growled, "you're in Casuana now! And you just lost us two boxings for that knife. The Lady will not like that. Ten lashes for the outburst. Ten more for the knife."

Julian grimaced. What did that taskmaster know about "the Lady"? She was Julian's wife, for the Lord Ruler's sake! Mia would not like the way the taskmaster was treating the skaa--especially not such a skilled forge as Julian.

But that was the hardship the skaa faced. It didn't matter what skills you had. You were still beaten for the slightest slip of tongue.

Julian sighed. Father, I hope this is worth it. Or else I'll end up dead, just like you. Only instead of murdered by skaa, I'll be murdered by my own House's taskmasters.

Two weeks was enough to change a man.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_Staff_*

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:52 AM

I must say. I loved him! His double life as a skaa is a crazy idea for a noble, but for some reason I absolutely love it. And the sample roleplay was great!! Cannot wait to RP with him!

Accepted

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users