Jump to content


The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy



GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
» Forum Rules
» The Story Thus Far
» Character Application
» Frequently Asked Questions
» Character System Guide
» Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
» The Three Metallic Arts
» Guide to the Final Empire
» Map of Luthadel
» The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
» Introduce Yourself
» Universal Continuity Thread
» The Timeline
» Adoptable Characters
» Wanted Characters
» Face Registry
» Open Threads List






Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

The Casuana Ball, Part III: Fire and Madness


72 replies to this topic

#21 Eliza Fathvell


  • Daughter of Lord Fathvell

562
Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

  • Relationship StatusCourting Caden Hasting

  • OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:35 AM

Eliza watched the duel with bated breath as Caden and Riordan fought. She watched as Riordan bated Caden. She watched as Caden became more and more focused. She watched as Caden moved to deal the final blow.

And then there was a loud CRASH, and the smell of smoke, and a man proclaiming himself as a skaa Mistborn bellowing a challenge to the Inquisitor.

The duel stopped, people were running around screaming, then suddenly Caden was beckoning to her and Colette. Numbly, she moved to follow. She had no idea what was going on or what would happen, but at least she didn't have to be alone.

Posted Image


#22 Vizar


  • Keeper of Folktales

231
Tineye
  • Age35

  • Relationship StatusSIngle

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:05 AM

Vizar was glad to stand up, even if he didn't do so to his full height. He took Tamsin's hand and guided her out from underneath the table. The Terrisman guided Tamsin as best he could out of the ballroom. They needed to get out of Keep Casuana as quickly and efficiently as possible. Somehow, Vizar doubted that would happen with a doped up Jansten and Tamsin in the state she was in. Vizar felt his topmost priority was to protect Tamsin. He had felt a fondness for Tamsin that he had never really dwelled on much. He considered them as friends rather than mistress and servant -- even if he still kept their relationship as such.

"Mistress," he started, adding the necessary pause into his speech. He now moved with the crowd and found it a lot easier to leave the building than come back into it. "Jansten is waiting for us in the next room. I am going to need help moving him..." he said. "We can make it out and into a carriage to take us home."

Vizar, with Tamsin in tow, finally broke free of the crowd, to see Delissia talking to Jansten. He hoped the man had earned his manners back by this point. Being rude would get him nothing. Vizar stopped by Jansten, allowing Tamsin to rest for a moment.

"Master Jansten, We need to get away from the Keep." he said.


#23 OreSanjou

8
Riordan Casuana's Reputation

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:55 AM

Father be praised, the night was becoming fascinating at long last.

Escorting the nobles about the keep's exterior had been a mild frustration, true, but the briefest of moments in the presence of Marisha Nathar's most succulent of aromas had mitigated the irritation and then some. Accompanying their little group of pampered adult-children back inside had only been agreed to both to perpetuate the role of a good soldier, and to stay in close proximity that much longer.

It had not been without merit, however. While pinpointing the exact source had been nigh impossible with all the mingling emanations even for his nose, one of the involved nobles was hiding a very, very interesting secret. Served alongside the knowledge of the infantile Nerid's identity, his master would have a fine feast of delectable information. And when his praise reached the attention of the Homeland, those fools at home would be forced to acknowledge him.

But it would appear the evening had yet more in store for him! Once done with the droll duty of escorting, OreSanjou had been free to move about the keep with relative anonymity and without scrutiny. A guard patrolling the keep was not out of place in the least, after all, especially on the night of a ball.

Said ball had been nothing short of painfully dreary, everything he loathed about the noble caste in one massive display of opulence. Dozens upon dozens of self-important figures posturing for stature, attempting to glean whatever leverage they could over their peers. They had everything but knives at each others backs..

...and rapiers at each others fronts, it would seem. The duel was not out of place, though its exact conditions did appear a bit unorthodox. In the end, however, the exchange of blows both physical and verbal failed to be worth his interest, though had afforded a few meager wisps of panic from the audience as their favored contender seemed to near defeat. Caden Hasting was particularly vulnerable to psychological attacks, that much was worth noting. It could prove useful at a later date.

Leaving the realm of frilled shirts and extravagant dresses behind, Ore delved deeper into the keep, seeking some great secret to uncover (or perhaps a lone skaa to terrorize). In his purposeful wanderings, the scent of smoke began to assault his nose like a thousand tiny daggers, and he made his way into the kitchens to see what poor fool would no doubt lose their hide for singing some noble's dinner.

But the kitchens were barely staffed, a paltry handful of skaa scurrying about. There was no excuse for such a small crew on the night of a ball. The overgrown brats upstairs ate whenever the whim took them, so the kitchen needed to be ready on a moment's notice to satisfy their desires, and yet barely a handful was present. And the scent of smoke did not originate from the area, as well. Had the kitchens been evacuated for some reason?

Smoke meant fire, of course, and if not in the kitchens, something was very amiss in the keep. Were the whispers of rebellion true? Was Casuana under attack from the skaa? Had they warned their brethren somehow beforehand, explaining the lackluster cooking staff?

As he moved to dig deeper, the kandra could see people beginning to move quite rapidly through hallways, and the smoke's acrid presence grew stronger by the moment. Mingled throughout it was a wonderful note of panic, rich and pungent. He felt...giddy. Was that the appropriate moniker for the sensation? It hardly mattered.

As noble, skaa, and steward alike absconded through the keep like rats, he heard the mutterings of an attack, a bold skaa mistborn demanding the attention of the Inquisitor. Perhaps, if he could get close enough...no. He was a guard. He had a duty to the people to feign.

Toothy, wide grin hidden beneath his helmet, he rounded a corner, running headlong towards a mass of people. "FIRE! FIRE! THE KEEP IS UNDER ATTACK!! NOT THIS WAY, GET TO SAFETY!!" By now, the torch he had pressed into a random tapestry in the empty hall behind him should have been emitting a pleasant, supporting glow, and as he watched the mass begin to scramble back over itself in panic, he chuckled quietly before rounding another corner and heading for the basement.

Let us see what other rats we can find..
user posted image

#24 Tamsin Landell


  • Heir to House Landell

256
Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age20

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginSouthern Dominance

  • Allomantic StatusN/A

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:09 AM

Tamsin kept a tight hold of Vizar's hand, and held her handkerchief over her face with her other hand, as he pushed his way through the gathering smoke and the nobles that were still crowding the exits. They were making things far worse for themselves, but Vizar knew another way out, through one of the servants' entrances, and he drew Tamsin after him through these corridors instead.

She would not have wanted anyone else to know how afraid she really was. Her father...her father was in danger as well, and in a laudanum stupor as bad as she had ever seen. How would they get him out? What if there were more of the skaa rebels outside? Vizar could know that she was afraid, she did not have to be ashamed of that. So she let her hand clamp down tightly on his, even after they had made it out of the ballroom and she didn't really need to any longer.

<center>Posted Image</center>

At the girl's new protestation, Jansten yawned widely. None of that mattered at all. He really just wanted to sleep, and wished everyone would go away. It was too much bother to send her away.

And now Vizar seemed to be there as well, and he was telling him something much along the same lines as the girl had been. "Oh, Vizar, it's you," he said, rather uninterested. "Why did you tell this girl about the Deveaux contract? I don't know what you were thinking. Oh well."


#25 Delissia


  • Imposter

354
House Raisaal
  • Age20

  • Relationship StatusIt's Complicated

  • OriginThe Western Dominance

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:45 PM

Delissia was out of options when the noblewoman and terrisman arrived. Thank the Lord Ruler she though as she murmured a short prayer of thanksgiving. Seeing their confusion when the man mentioned the contract, Delissia quickly stepped in to explain the situation, before a misunderstanding could occur.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't need to pry. I was just concerned. You see he is all alone here, and with the smoke and everything, I was worried no one was coming for him, and I couldn't leave him here." Carefully, she stepped closer to the lady and her Terrisman, and spoke lowly so the nobleman couldn't hear. "I made all that up about the contract. I did not think I would be able to move him on my own, and I thought, if he thought a contract was in danger, it might motivate him to stand. I knew it was a long shot, but I felt I had to try. Like I said before, as a good noblewoman, I could hardly leave him to burn or suffocate. And don't worry about that bit about the Deveauxs. I have no idea what he's talking about, and I don't want to do anything to offend a Great House."

With this attack, Delissia was feeling, for the first time, that she was out of her league here in Luthadel. No. she thought, I can do this. She was a noblewoman after all, why shouldn't she be able to handle what all these other women could? Still, while many, like Lady Sanna and Lady Lucille, seemed very friendly, Delissia had noticed some with hard eyes who spoke with scorn or arrogance. And then there was that obligator. He hadn't seemed very friendly at all. Despite all it's wonders, Luthadel was proving to have its dangers as well.

Danger. We're in the middle of a rebel attack! We need to get out of here "I think though, now that you're here, he should be all right. If you need any help moving in, I'd be happy to lend a hand, anything I can do to help." Delissia extended a hand to the noblewoman. "My name is Delissia Arnell, and I am very pleased to make your acquaintance."



#26 Vizar


  • Keeper of Folktales

231
Tineye
  • Age35

  • Relationship StatusSIngle

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:59 AM

Vizar looked at Delissia, not recognizing her as one of the elites. After she said her name, that was why. She wasn't of one of the major houses -- not that it mattered enough. He had only been curious as to why he didn't already know her name, since he made an effort to get to know all of the young players in the Luthadel court.

He should have taken a back seat in all of this, but he was the one who was supposed to protect Tamsin and Jansten from being wrapped up in things like this.

"It was very nice of you to see to Master Landell, Miss Arnell," he said, as he made it over next to Jansten. He checked the man's pulse which Vizar knew would be slower than usual. He sat for a moment, concentrating on the task at hand. Jansten needed to get out, but at least they were away from the immediate fires. They weren't being burned alive, they'd just be smoked out eventually. He couldn't move Jansten in the condition he was in -- and part of Vizar knew that. There was nothing but to wait.

Once Delissia was done speaking, he turned to her. "Did you arrive at the ball with other people?" he asked. "If you have no one else to stick around, you're welcome to join us. We are going to find a way out of this keep...and we can find a carriage to take you home -- wherever that may be, Miss." Vizar took on more of a leadership role in this patched together crew of misfits -- even if he was supposed to be the servant. He would take whatever heat was coming to him later for such an action.


#27 Delissia


  • Imposter

354
House Raisaal
  • Age20

  • Relationship StatusIt's Complicated

  • OriginThe Western Dominance

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:05 AM

Surprisingly, the Terrisman responded for his mistress. Odd. Poor thing, she must be overwhelmed by everything that's happening. Delissia had the remind herself that most nobles had not had the experiences she had lived through while traveling with Klyde, and were not used to situations like this. Taking one look at the woman's concerned but determined expression, Delissia decided she was going to be her friend.

"Thank-you, Master Vaht," she said, respectfully. "I'd be happy to accompany you. It's actually good you came along, for it seems that I've gotten myself quite lost. I was looking for a friend, you see when all this began. I've been ever so worried since I smelled to smoke, and then this woman I met mentioned something about a rebel attack. It's absurd. I've never heard of mere skaa attacking a keep before. They do know it belongs to a Great House, don't they? Of course they do, all the keeps belong to great houses." Delissia paused to laugh prettily, hoping to lighten the mood.

"Anyways, as I was saying. I was in the process of trying to find my way out when I ran into your master here, and grew concerned for his well being. I'm so glad I stopped to help, because if I hadn't, I wouldn't have met you two, and might never have found my way out of here safely." Delissia paused, thinking for a moment. "You know, I always like to think that no good deed goes unrewarded in some way or another, and I suppose this here is living proof. The Lord Ruler is so magnificent, isn't he? I'll bet he's smiling down on us from Kredik Shaw right now, just waiting to punish those horrible skaa unbelievers."

Seeing the Terrisman was busy seeing to his master, Delissia, moved over to the lady. "Excuse me miss, but in all my nattering, I seem to have forgotten to ask your name."



#28 Tamsin Landell


  • Heir to House Landell

256
Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age20

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginSouthern Dominance

  • Allomantic StatusN/A

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:30 AM

Tamsin was both relieved and horrified to see her father. He was not hurt, but he was deep in a laudanum stupour. A quiet grin was on his face, and his eyes were drooping; on seeing them, he did not show much interest. Though he did idly inquire why exactly they had told this girl - a complete stranger, a young woman in a bright gown - about the Deveaux contract. He was obviously not in possession of his faculties at all, and they needed to get away from here before they burned or died of smoke inhalation.

She took the girl's hand in an automatic motion, trying to compose herself and be of some use. At least there were several of them there, and between them they could support her father - Lady Delissia had offered to help, and while she was not happy that the woman was seeing any of them in this state, she was glad to have that offer.

Pull yourself together. She could almost hear her father saying it in her mind. She was better than this; she did not need to wait in a panic for things to happen to them. The smoke...the smoke was a little less thick here than it had been in the ballroom. This part of the keep was farther away from the fire. It was the right way to go.

"Tamsin Landell," she answered, her voice steady again. "Thank you, Delissia, for trying to help my father. I am glad that you are here; he has had a bad reaction to his medication, and we may need your help moving him." She seemed more than a little airheaded, but completely well-intentioned, and an extra pair of hands would have to be useful...her father was not exactly a lightweight.

Her thoughts mostly freed from the icy touch of fear, and at her command again, she realized that there was one thing that Vizar had not thought to consider. "There are skaa rebels attacking the Keep, Vizar. Are you sure it will be safe out there...will we be able to reach our carriage with Father the way he is? It might be better to get farther from the fire, but to stay inside."

Edited by KChan, 26 February 2014 - 02:03 AM.


#29 Vizar


  • Keeper of Folktales

231
Tineye
  • Age35

  • Relationship StatusSIngle

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

The Lord Ruler is magnificent, isn't he?



Vizar had to make a conscious effort not to say anything back at Delissia after that comment. He failed to see what was so great about a man, a God, who hated Vizar's entire race. The people of Terris were put through so much... And none of them got an explanation as to why there was a prejudice against them. Vizar kept his thoughts about the Lord Ruler to himself.

The man made sure that Jansten was comfortable in the mean time. He looked up at Tamsin, worried look in his eye. "I'm not sure what we should do Mistress," he admitted. He wanted to be a leader, but now that Tamsin had some sort of idea what was going on... His own ideas went out the window. He knew they needed to get away from the keep, but sitting and waiting out the rebel attack would be dangerous.

"It seems that might be our only option. Find a safe enough place to wait out the attacks."


#30 Perrin

224
Member of Lucille Deveaux's Book Club

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:47 PM

There was a brief pause between when Perrin had finished speaking and the chaos erupted in the room. The grin that was already on his face spread broader as things started to happen. Adrenaline surged through his veins and hiked Perrin’s already heightened senses. Off to his side, a noble, who appeared to have been in the middle of a duel, spun around and hurled a sword in Perrin’s direction and two squads of what were most certainly hazekillers appeared; one squad on the balcony above took aim with bows and loosed a volley of arrows at him. The other squad, with shields and dueling canes in hand, rushed towards him from a fountain off to Perrin’s other side.

Perrin pushed against the sword hurtling towards him, easily sending it back in the direction that it had come from. The arrows speeding towards him offered only a slightly greater challenge. He flared iron and steel, selecting two lines coming from opposite directions. Perrin sprinted towards the oncoming arrows for a few feet, then side-stepped and pulled against the line to his left ever so slightly. Even the gentle tug would have been enough to send a normal person off balance, but Perrin, flaring pewter as well, adjusted easily, and at the right moment as he ran, jumped and kicked off a pillar. He focused in on the second source of metal he had selected and pulled hard as he kicked off the pillar with his pewter enhanced strength.

His mistcloak fluttered dramatically around him as he flipped over in the air, soaring easily out of the path of the arrows. The opposite wall of the ballroom was coming up quick now, so Perrin tugged gently on a couple different sources of metal, allowing him to turn his body in midair so that he would be able to hit the far wall with his feet instead of his side. As his feet hit the wall, he kicked them over his head, flipping him out away from the wall as he fell back down to the floor. Perrin landed in a crouch and smirked as the second squad of hazekillers now closed in on him.

He hadn’t carried any coins with him, at least not in to the ballroom, knowing that a keep packed with gluttonous nobles would provide him with more than enough coins to fight with. From the throng of people scrambling around in the ballroom searching for a way out, Perrin yanked at small bits of metal, detaching them from their owners and sending them on a collision course with him -- after they had gone through the squad of hazekillers of course.

There were only two pained cries that resulted from the coins he had pulled; obviously there were coinshots mixed in with the group. They hadn’t expected that move from Perrin, which allowed for the two hazekillers that had supposedly been brought down, but had caught on quick enough to deflect most of the coins. He wouldn’t be able to pull that off again. They’d be expecting it now.

Perrin allowed himself a relatively slow, relaxing breath. He didn’t want to exert all his strength -- or metal, for that matter -- fighting these hazekillers. That was not his purpose tonight. He just needed to keep them off him long enough for the Inquisitor to finally appear and engage him. Then he could get out of the confines of the ballroom and be able to actually fight with the creature. Well... more like lead on a chase than fight, but that was beside the point.

After flashing a wink at one of the more burly frontmen in the squad, Perrin dashed into the chaotic mass of people still trying to get out of the ballroom, which smelled more and more like smoke with every passing minute.

Where was that damn Inquisitor?

He looked up to the balcony, and pulled against a strong source of metal up there. His trajectory was only good enough to get him a handhold on the railing of the balcony, so Perrin quickly pulled himself up and over, landing with cat-like grace on the dim overlook. He turned back around to survey the ballroom, hoping that maybe he’d be able to spot the Inquisitor from here. Even if he didn’t, he had at least bought himself a little time away from fighting those hazekillers.
<div align=center>Posted Image</div>

#31 Delissia


  • Imposter

354
House Raisaal
  • Age20

  • Relationship StatusIt's Complicated

  • OriginThe Western Dominance

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:37 PM

"Perhaps we could find our way back to the ball room," suggested Delissia. Tamsin she thought, committing the name to memory. Even amidst everything else that was going on, she was so happy to have made a new friend. Even though her evening seemed to be ending in smoke and ash, it was worth it for all the fun she was having, and all the interesting people she was meeting.

"With the high ceilings it should be one of the last areas to fill with smoke, and since it's near the main doors and has lots of auxiliary exits, it should be one of the easiest places to escape from." Delissia knew all about escaping, of course. Some she'd learned from escaping with Klyde when a plan started to go bad. The rest she'd learned from escaping from him whenever he managed to track her down. It was funny how many of those escapes seemed to involve fire.

"Shall we need to carry him? Or will he be able to walk if supported?"



#32 Davinna Casuana


  • The Prettiest Little Inquisitor

26
Chunky the Mistwraith
  • Allomantic StatusSo incredibly open.

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:07 AM

The dancing had been a treat. It was amazing how few balls the Inquisitors had among themselves; in fact, since she had joined their ranks in service to the Lord Ruler, Davinna could not recall a single one. How odd. That had to mean there would be one soon!

The excitement of that thought had distracted her for a time, and when she came back to the real world, she found it to be indescribably boring. No one else wanted to dance with her - oh, they made excuses that were perfectly respectful, saying they couldn't dance, or they did not wish to defile a direct servant of the Lord Ruler with their inferior hands, but she knew the truth. They didn't want to be shown up by such a great dancer. Such pitiful egos on these nobles.

Everything else was incredibly boring, and soon Davinna found herself wandering away from the ball and into the Keep proper. She hummed to herself, smiling as she took in the decor, just as she had remembered it - although the bright oranges were a bit distracting, but who was she to criticize her unfashionable cousin's poor taste in color?

For some time she simply wandered, taking no set path and paying no attention to the time. With her tin-enhanced hearing she could listen to the ball, keeping herself alert for any disturbances. She needn't have bothered; there was dancing, and it seemed some of the fops were planning some dueling, which always put her to sleep. As if that was proper violence - hardly any bloodshed, and never any collateral damage. Of course they wouldn't let her duel. She had promised to go easy on them, even offered to blindfold herself and leave her axe behind. But no, they were worried about inconsequential things, like the lives of other people. Granted, they were nobles, and thus had some worth, but she had been perfectly willing to fight skaa.

Everyone was happy with killing skaa.

For a time, Davinna lost herself in the What-Could-Be, an uninteresting version of her life that involved no stabbing. She still watched it, learning from it, assimilating the entirety of the life the gold was giving her. When it ended, she was surprised to find herself inside her old quarters. She looked around, a small smile on her face. They kept her room the same! She giggled, her dimples forming on her cheeks as she ran to the chest at the foot of the bed and threw it open, pewter-enhanced strength tearing the hinges. She ignored the lid as it landed on the bed, sending a cloud of dust into the air. Davinna squealed as she reached in and felt the soft fur of her favorite toy - her old, worn stuffed koloss, Monkey. Squeezing it to her chest, she giggled and danced around the room, reliving the memories from her childhood.

Lord Ruler, she had been insipid. Her eyes had been opened since, though - forcibly, with metal spikes.

Said spikes were suddenly spun around, staring down at the floor. Flaring tin, Davinna felt her lips pull into a wide, sadistic smile. What was this now?

"...can anyone point me in the direction of the Inquisitor that was supposed to have made an appearance here tonight?" The voice was unfamiliar, but her trained ear could could hear the skaa accent. The detestable skaa accent. "I believe they would be interested in speaking with me; not every day a half-breed Mistborn wanders close enough for them to snatch."

Ooo... a skaa Mistborn? Was it her birthday? "I thank you, Lord Ruler," she whispered to herself, her grin stretching her face to the point of pain, "for this gift you have given me..."

Squeezing Monkey to her chest, she Pulled on the copper light fixture in the hall ever so slightly, yanking herself toward it. Her focus shifted rapidly, Pushing and Pulling until she was flying down the hall, her heart racing with excitement. There had been one thing missing from this ball, but the rebellion had been kind enough to deliver. She wondered if they would take orders... there were some nights when nothing was as satisfying as putting her fists through a skaa Tineye's ribcage.

Snagging another fixture on a whim, Davinna Pulled herself up a short, winding staircase and into a small alcove that jutted out near the ceiling of the atrium, where she had stored her axe for the ball. She shivered in pleasure as she felt the handle slid between her fingers, and she licked her lips. Were there any waffles left? She could feel the metal of the chandelier as she silently landed on the platform, welcoming the happy blue lines as she took in the entire room. The zincminds at her ear itched, but she ignored it. It wasn't time to tap them yet.

"Where are you, little skaa..." she sang softly, her mind racing as she identified every person in the atrium. Scents and sounds assaulted her and she easily assimilated them, sorting them into her mind to create an accurate picture of the situation. Her zincminds screamed at her, singing their wish to aid, but she didn't need them yet. "It's playtime..."

Her eyes darted toward another section of the atrium, in the back of her mind doing the calculations. The voice she had heard earlier had come from... carry the 2, account for distance... there! Grinning wildly, she latched onto the railing around the balcony and Pulled, clutching Monkey to her chest. "You've been a good boy, Monkey," she whispered as she shot through the air, "mommy's taking you with her to work today..."

#33 Emilia Hasting


  • Hasting Spy

354
House Raisaal
  • Age16

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginLuthadel

  • Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:59 AM

Emilia tried her best to push her way through the crowded ball room. With shouts filling the room and smoke hanging in the air, she didn't dare to use tin, lest the enhanced senses overwhelm her. She would have to rely on normal eye sight if she was going to locate any members of her family.

As she pushed passed a couple calling out for their friends, she stepped up onto a chair, scanning the crowd. She tried her best to pick out a familiar form in the tumult. Caden had removed his shirt during the duel. If he had yet to replace it, he would be easy to locate amid the sea of suit coats and ball gowns. As she searched through the crowd for Caden, Colette, or even Kaylen, Emilia also found herself looking for other faces: that of the handsome Lord Miles, her mother's calculating eyes, or Anabelle's wicked smile.

Of the latter three, there was no sign. She thought she glimpsed Caden's bare shoulders for a moment, but before she could fixate on his location, her chair was knocked over by a fleeing nobleman, and she came crashing to the ground. She stuck out her arms to catch herself, but banged her arm against the table in the process.

Hoping all the seekers in the room were too busy to notice, Emilia closed her eyes, and plugged her ears with her thumbs and her nose with her little fingers and flared tin for a moment. The pain in her arm lanced through her, enhanced by her allomancy. With her enhanced senses it seemed to be only badly bruised, not broken. Extinguishing her tin, Emilia discreetly removed her hands and rose to her feet, trying her best to push towards where she thought she saw Caden.

Posted Image
Posted Image


#34 Colette Hasting


  • Potential Hasting Heiress

562
Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginLuthadel

  • Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:01 AM

Caden shot her one of his signature Looks, and Colette just smiled. Even now, even with their lives on the line, she could still get under his skin. She did of course want to get out of this alive, so she refrained from pressing him any further, but it was good to know that even in such a situation as this, she could still crack that perfect composure of his.

Still, it would be unseemly for the true Hasting heir to be caught bickering at a time like this, so she supposed she would make a good show of playing nice, getting along, and saving her girls' lives. Let it never be said that Colette Hasting was an unreasonable mistress.

Speaking of the girls, she couldn't have them running off in a tizzy, now could she? She wouldn't put it past some of them to go and get themselves lit on fire or some nonsense, after all, and how would she explain that to their families? It simply wouldn't do, so she waved them over with her fan, hoping the splash of color would help get their attention.

"Come now girls," she called to them, in a voice that was both affectionate and imperious, "I wouldn't want any of you dears getting left behind. Come along, come along."

As the girls got their wits about them, of course, she began to slip hidden messages into her fan gestures. They would just look like the fluttering of a fan to outsiders, but her ladies knew what the gestures meant: Smoke me, to Marceline, and to Ferrah, start Soothing. There was no need to specify what she wanted Ferrah to Soothe, of course; it was her job to read into Colette's actions and anticipate her wishes, and besides, it should be bloody obvious what Colette wanted Soothed right now.

Only when it was clear that the other two had seen her signal did Colette proceed to use her own Allomancy on the crowd: she started slowly of course, Pulling ever so gently on the sense of security and decorum of the people nearby. She added a bit of caution and restraint too, since a bubble of perfectly calm and confident guests in a place like this would be too obvious. It was probably a good thing if they were still motivated to evacuate, but Colette didn't care much whether they did or not, so long as they stayed out of her way. Either way, she didn't have time to just stand here and build up the proper effect. They needed to move.

"Lead on, Dearest Cousin," she told Caden with a smile.

Posted Image


#35 Marceline Dumont


  • Member of The Posse

92
Posse Member
  • Age18

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginAustrex

  • Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

When the chaos started Marceline almost started screaming. This was much to much excitement for any time. Ever. First a duel, which had only really been interesting because of the presence of shirtless men, and then now fire, and a skaa mistborn? How did that even work? Skaa weren't supposed to be able to be mistings, or mistborn, and they certainly weren't supposed to rebel like this.

She saw Lady Colette motioning for her and ran over as fast as she could in heels and a dress. She was about to say something really obvious like 'there's a fire', but then realized in the same split second that that would be useless and stupid. She began to get herself under control as much as she could, responding to Lady Colette's signal and flaring copper. Only then did she realize that not only was she within five feet of Lord Caden, but he was still shirtless.

Turning a bright shade of red, she deliberately looked away, focusing on staying calm enough to not start babbling. She would never sleep tonight. This was all too much for her.


#36 Ferrah Brehaut


  • Clique Lieutenant

354
House Raisaal
  • Age20

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginAustrex

  • Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:56 AM

Ferrah tried her best to glide across the floor of the ball room, but she couldn't help but hustle along with the rest of the crowd. What in the Lord Ruler's name was going on? I need to find Colette she told herself. Colette would know what to do. Once she was reunited with her friends, she could just let Colette take the lead, and let her guide them all out. Then there would be no need to panic. Right now, however...

Ferrah released the breath she had not realized she was holding in when she saw Marceline,Colette, Caden, and Eliza not very far away. That Marceline, she thought as the other girl reached Colette and the others first, Always butting ahead. Someone needs to learn their place. She shook her head, trying to focus on the situation at hand, rather than the choice words she wanted to have with Marceline. Those would have to wait for a later date. At the moment, Colette needed her to soothe people, and that meant she would have to keep herself together. Besides, with Caden present, it would not do to show dissension in the ranks in front of the enemy.

Colette's signal hadn't specified what she wanted Ferrah to Soothe. As usual, she expected Ferrah to figure things out for herself. Ferrah couldn't help but grow nervous as she reached within herself and began burning brass. Stop being a weakling she told herself sternly. While she often grew nervous that Colette would kick her out of the group if she accidentally Soothed the wrong thing, at the moment there was enough to be nervous about, besides the fact that it was obvious what Colette intended her to Soothe.

Here it goes, Ferrah told herself, trying to relax as she began soothing. As always, her touch was gentle and hesitant at first, but with a little coaxing and flaring, she managed to increase the strength of her pushes as she soothed away people's panic and fear. While she was pushing as hard as she dared, her ministrations did not seem to have an immediate effect on the people around her. That, however, was likely a good thing, as it would prevent her and Colette's alomancy from being exposed. Still, as she finally rejoined the group, it did seem like people were beginning to move in a slightly more orderly fashion.

"Lady Eliza, Lord Caden," Ferrah greeted her best friend's greatest enemy and the newest addition to their group with a quick curtsy and a quick nod, respectively. Having satisfied what courtesy the situation required, she turned to Colette, who was obviously the one in charge, no matter how authoritative Caden tried to look. "What do we do now?"


Posted Image
Posted Image


#37 Eliza Fathvell


  • Daughter of Lord Fathvell

562
Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

  • Relationship StatusCourting Caden Hasting

  • OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:18 AM

Suddenly, and remarkably, Eliza's head cleared.

It was different from the feeling she'd had when Lord Caden pulled her out of range of what turned out to be Colette's Allomancy. Then, she had still been uncertain and hesitant as she'd always been in Luthadel, and even Lord Caden's reassurances hadn't been enough to bring her back onto solid ground, no matter how much he seemed to be trying.

"And a word of advice, Lady Eliza," he had said while holding her closer than she'd ever been held, "there are far better, and more comfortable ways of developing a friendship with House Hasting than through my cousin."

She felt her cheeks catching fire at the very memory, but somehow, miraculously - how was she doing it? - she kept her head. Why should she panic? Why should she be afraid? She was the Lady Eliza Fathvell, for the Lord Ruler's sake! She'd handled pirates and worse in the Isles; she could handle a little fire. Or, okay, a lot of fire. The point was, she had finally found familiar ground again, and she wouldn't let this chance go to waste.

Especially not when Ferrah had given her such a perfect opening. Eliza couldn't help but grin at the wide-open chance to rock the boat a little, even though she knew very well Colette would make her pay for this later.

"We follow Lord Caden, obviously," she said simply, before Colette could answer, as though it were the simplest thing in the world to see. "Colette obviously trusts him to come up with the best way to get us all out of here alive, so I for one think we should all follow her lead and place our trust in Lord Caden's leadership."

Well, if that hadn't chummed the waters, she didn't know what would. But she couldn't help but grin at the lovely twitching motion Colette's eye had just made.

That was definitely worth the torment she had just bought herself.

Posted Image


#38 Ferrah Brehaut


  • Clique Lieutenant

354
House Raisaal
  • Age20

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginAustrex

  • Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

Ferrah shared a glance with Colette, all that was required to let her know she had noted Eliza's defiance, and would deal with it, if need be, at the appropriate time. She would, of course, also consult with Colette first, of course, but Ferrah wanted to make sure the other woman knew she was not just letting Eliza's impudence go.

Caden, shirtless, stepped in with instructions. Unlike the fool, Marceline, Ferrah refrained from ogling his muscular frame. It would seem the Dumont smoker might need a reminder of where her loyalties lay as well.

"We neeed to stick together" Caden was saying. Ferrah snapped open her fan, and whispered behind it to Colette, "Thanks for stating the obvious, milord" To his credit, Caden kept his composure, and gave no indication whether or not he had noticed the quick conference. "If we keep our heads about us, we should be fine." Ferrah rolled her eyes, feeling more comfortable now that she had found her friends and was on familiar ground again, despite the chaos around them. Who did Caden think he was, playing leader like that? And for Lord Ruler's sake, why hadn't he done the decent thing yet and put a shirt on?

Posted Image
Posted Image


#39 Marceline Dumont


  • Member of The Posse

92
Posse Member
  • Age18

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginAustrex

  • Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:24 AM

Marceline glanced at them, almost secretly irritated by their lack of concern about the situation. And then Lord Caden spoke and she couldn't keep her thoughts to herself. "Keep our heads about us? With all due respect, the keep is on fire!" Her voice had reached a pitch that it rarely got to, and she looked about ready to have an emotional breakdown. She always had been bad at hiding her emotions. She then blushed, aware that she had spoken out of turn. "Sorry." She muttered, biting her lip to keep from saying anything more.

Edited by MozytheHealer, 04 March 2014 - 05:27 AM.


#40 Celestine Beliveaux


  • Member of Colette's Posee

16
5th Tier Elariel
  • Age19

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginAustrex

  • Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:26 PM

Celesine was alone, and the keep was on fire. Why did I have to leave Colette to talk to Ronyl? I need to get back to Colette, she’ll know what to do. Celestine looked around, eyes wide with panic, but her body language showed none of this.

“Ronyl, we need to find Colette.”

“Yes, mistress, I believe she was over in this direction,” Ronyl replied, pointing over towards one of the side exits.

Before they could go three steps, there was a crashing sound, and suddenly a skaa had fallen through the ceiling. Was he declaring himself a mistborn? Since when have there been skaa allomancers? Her bronze was pounding too many different beats for her to differentiate between them or discern their sources, and it was giving her a headache, so she extinguished it. As she did so, doubt began to gnaw at her mind.

Ronyl took Celestine by the arm, and began to lightly pull her towards Colette. But Celestine was frozen.

I’m alone. Colette left me. She didn’t come to find me. She just left. What did I do to deserve that?Celestine was beginning to fall apart. Oh, Lord Ruler it’s Austrex all over again.

Ronyl’s voice cut in to stop her before she fell even further apart. “Celestine, we need to go. Now.

Celestine refocused, and let Ronyl lead her towards an exit. But her mind was still spinning. I need to prove myself again. I need to find her, and beg her to take me back. I can’t let myself become a pariah again. Father would never give me the inheritance then!

As they neared the exit, Celestine caught a glimpse of Colette in the crowd, and, pulling Ronyl with her, changed course.

Oh, please, please let me rejoin the Posse.

She arrived to where Eliza, Marceline, Ferrah, Colette, and is that a shirtless Caden? He is quite muscular, but he’s Colette’s cousin. And he’s too much like Mathieu. My conniving inheritance thief of a cousin. Celestine allowed herself a moment to mentally rail against Mathieu and his inheritance-stealing ways, then approached Colette. As she did, she heard Caden speaking:

We need to stick together. If we keep our heads about us we should be fine.

Celestine burst into the group, saying:
“Colette, I’m so sorry I lost you! Are we following Caden to get out of here?”

Celestine was uncertain what would come next. Will Colette scold me for losing the group, will she scold me for interrupting? Oh, please let her allow me to keep my place in the group. Her eyes flicked wildly from Colette, to Ferrah, to Caden, to Marceline, who was ogling Caden’s shirtless chest, will she learn to hide that?, and back to Colette. There they stayed, waiting for a response.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users