The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
» Forum Rules
» The Story Thus Far
» Character Application
» Frequently Asked Questions
» Character System Guide
» Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
» The Three Metallic Arts
» Guide to the Final Empire
» Map of Luthadel
» The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
» Introduce Yourself
» Universal Continuity Thread
» The Timeline
» Adoptable Characters
» Wanted Characters
» Face Registry
» Open Threads List

Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

The Casuana Ball, Part III: Fire and Madness

72 replies to this topic

#41 Colette Hasting

• Potential Hasting Heiress

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:57 AM

"What do we do now?"

"We follow Lord Caden, obviously,"
Eliza Fathvell said before Colette could respond. What was the girl thinking, interrupting like that? But if Colette thought that was bad, nothing prepared her for what came next. "Colette obviously trusts him to come up with the best way to get us all out of here alive, so I for one think we should all follow her lead and place our trust in Lord Caden's leadership."

What. What. What. How dare she! And how dare that bastard, stealing one of her girls! No doubt he had smiled and charmed his way into her heart, no doubt spewing some ridiculous promises to win her loyalty. It made Colette sick. Fortunately, Ferrah - dear, blessed Ferrah - noticed the same thing, and assured Colette with a glance that the problem would be dealt with. And just like that, everything was right in Colette's world once more. For now, at least. And just in time, because Caden was talking. Not that she particularly cared what he said, but it wouldn't do to miss something and make herself look like a fool.

"We neeed to stick together"--

--"Thanks for stating the obvious, milord"--
Colette just smirked at Ferrah's comment --

--"If we keep our heads about us, we should be fine."

"Keep our heads about us?
Marceline demanded, sounding borderline hysterical. "With all due respect, the keep is on fire!"

Colette just raised an eyebrow at her, and she blushed.

"Sorry." Before Colette could respond - again with the interruptions! - Celestine came sprinting over to the group.

“Colette, I’m so sorry I lost you! Are we following Caden to get out of here?”

Ugh. Caden again. It seemed trying to play nice for once had lost Colette the high ground, as she should have expected. Now the whole lot of her little flock of magpies were fluttering around her shirtless cousin as if he were their one and only salvation. Disgusting. And it certainly wouldn't do for members of her own retinue to get used to seeing him that way.

"Actually, my dears," she said to her ladies, "I do believe I've come to my senses. After all, if I can't even trust him with my house, how could I possibly trust him with my life? We're entirely better off on our own. Now come along, all of you; I'll see you out of here safe and sound."

With that, she flashed a cold smile at Caden, then pointedly turned her back on him to depart. She shifted her Rioting, turning her attention away from calming the crowds to instead Pulling on the group's desire to follow her instead of Caden. Of course she was the most logical person to follow, her Allomancy told them. Of course it was ridiculous to think Caden was more suited to lead the way out. They would follow her, or who knows what might happen to them?

Of course, that was true no matter what the rebels did or didn't do to them.

Edited by KChan, 08 March 2014 - 02:12 AM.

Posted Image

#42 Caden Hasting

• Potential Hasting Heir (Hasting Hottie)

House Raisaal
  • Age24

• Relationship StatusIn a Relationship with Eliza Fathvell

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

Caden stared at his cousin incredulously. How could she be so selfish? Didn't she see they were all in serious danger? Ferrah, always eager to please and set herself above the others, was quick to follow after Colette, shooting Caden a cool glare over her shoulder as she turned. Undoubtedly, the other women would follow as well. If any of them were injured, however, Caden had no doubt that Colette would spin things as if he had failed to protect them. Eliza, thankfully, remained at his side. It looked like he had more influence over the girl already than he had thought. It was a shame she had defied Colette so openly already, as it would make it difficult to use her against his cousin, but he still appreciated the show of support.

Trying his best to keep his composure, and not seem like he was scurrying after his cousin, Caden pushed passed the rest of the group, motioning for them to follow. When he was even with Colette, he kept pace with her was they wove through the crowd. How could he get her to see common sense?

"I'm not interested in playing games with you right now," he said, keeping his voice low. In all the commotion, he hoped the others wouldn't be able to hear, though Ferrah was right behind them, no doubt trying to press herself between Caden and Colette. "People lives are at state Colette. I know you are too callous to care about that, especially when your precious status might be at stake, but I'm asking you for once to do what best for our family, and for your friends." Caden sighed, not believing what he was doing? He saw that his cousin would never budge unless he gave ground first, but what guarantee did he have that she wouldn't walk all over him if he tried to compromise? In the end, he only hoped that Colette would see reason and cooperate, at least until they were out of the keep.

"The best way to get everyone out safely is to stick together. As soon as one of them gets separated, who knows where they will end up?" Caden took a deep breath, not quite believing what he was about to say. "Neither of us have to lead, but surely even you can see that we need to cooperate." He spared a quick glance over his shoulder to make certain the rest of the group was keeping up. Around them, people continued to stream passed, all trying to push their way to the various exists, while the smoke in the air continued to thicken.

#43 Colette Hasting

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:37 AM

Colette couldn't help but smile at Caden's desperation. Was he really so determined to grasp at leadership that he was willing to feign giving up ground in order to get ahead? Did he not realize that doing so would only make him appear weak? Or did he simply not care, hoping to regain the lost ground later?

In any other circumstance, though, she might have been willing to play at some semblance of compromise, but she herself had already lost way too much ground. She had to re-establish her place at the top, and fast, or everyone would think it was permissible to follow Caden around however they liked, and that certainly wouldn't do.

"My, my," she said, matching his low tone. "How easily you come crawling to my heels. Well, dearest cousin, since you said yourself that you don't have to lead, I suppose you won't mind me taking charge. You certainly can't expect a proper highborn Lady such as these to follow the command of a mere bastard, now can you? Remember your place, cousin, and stay where you belong."

Posted Image

#44 Marceline Dumont

• Member of The Posse

Posse Member
  • Age18

• OriginAustrex

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:45 AM

Marceline tried once more to keep ahold of her tongue as she followed close behind Lady Colette and Lord Caden, but they obviously weren't going to get them out if they kept arguing like they were. She couldn't get mad at Lady Colette as well. That would never do, and Celestine would never forget about it. But why did she have to be so stubborn? Couldn't she tell that the smoke was thickening? That mistborn had disappeared, but the fire was still raging. Did Lady Colette and Lord Hasting have to choose this moment to have an argument?

"Begging your pardons, but do you not notice the fire? Or the smoke?" She said, her irritation showing through her fear. "Can you not stop arguing for just long enough to get us out of here so that we do not die?" Her face turned red with guilt as she spoke, and her voice was a mixture of fear, guilt, and anger.

Edited by MozytheHealer, 09 March 2014 - 05:28 AM.

#45 Ferrah Brehaut

• Clique Lieutenant

House Raisaal
  • Age20

• OriginAustrex

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

Ferrah interjected herself between Marceline and the Hasting cousins, and did her best to pull her friend aside without seeming to do so. It would not do for Caden to see obvious dissention within the ranks of Colette's chosen. It was bad enough that the fool Eliza seemed to be defecting to his side. Ferrah could not allow it to seem like Marceline was close to doing so as well.

"Calm yourself, Marceline." Thankfully, Marceline would be smoking, so Ferrah didn't need to worry about whether or not she should be soothing the other woman. "Colette is well aware of our situation. "We are all aware of the situation." Ferrah did her best to stay calm herself when a man nearly pushed her over in his efforts to escape. Just keep walking, she told herself. As long as she followed Collette, they would all get out of this safely. Despite her fear, Ferrah did her best to keep her voice level and low, and hoped to the Lord Ruler that Caden was too busy worrying about his reputation, or the fire, to take not of the hushed conversation.

"We are all scared," she continued, "But that only means Colette needs us more than ever. We can't allow Caden to use this deplorable situation to his advantage, after all." Ferrah moved to grip Marceline's wrist, hoping to exert some pressure to accent her point. "So stop being a hysterical idiot, and just follow Colette's lead. She'll get us out of this safely. There's no need to worry."

Posted Image
Posted Image

#46 Marceline Dumont

• Member of The Posse

Posse Member
  • Age18

• OriginAustrex

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:36 AM

Marceline let Ferrah pull her away, and she listened with increasing guilt, feeling foolish that she had let herself show that much emotion. She had practically yelled at Lady Colette.

If Lady Colette would actually take the lead and get us out of here, I would follow her. Marceline left the thoughts unspoken. It wouldn't do for her to show any more emotion that might get her in trouble with the clique. However, she didn't get her emotions under control. She was just not quite as loud about it. She could, at least, keep her voice down. "The keep. Is on fire. And you want me to be calm and not worry? Pardon me if I a bit of a hysteric idiot because of that."

#47 Eliza Fathvell

• Daughter of Lord Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• Relationship StatusCourting Caden Hasting

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:00 AM

This was getting beyond ridiculous. Not only had the entire group dissolved into chaos, but it had dissolved into chaos and pointless bickering. Colette was taking the opportunity to be as cruel as possible to Caden, it seemed, and didn't appear to be about to stop any time soon. Marceline was barely holding it together, and Lord Ruler only know when the other girls were going to lose it.

Something needed to be done.

"That is exactly why we need to be calm," she said patiently to Marceline, resting a comforting hand on her shoulder and attempting to steer her away from Ferrah. "Generally speaking, the sort of situations where you most want to panic are the ones where you most need to stay calm. I know it's hard, but just breathe and focus on what you can control. Like this."

With that, she let go of Marceline and made her way to the head of the group. If Caden couldn't get Colette to relinquish the lead, maybe somebody should just take it.

Posted Image

#48 Ferrah Brehaut

• Clique Lieutenant

House Raisaal
  • Age20

• OriginAustrex

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:12 AM

Ferrah simply rolled her eyes at Marceline's response. At least the woman seemed to getting a hold of herself. Ferrah could deal with her further insubordination at a time when they were not, as Marceline so aptly put it, in a keep that was on fire. Just behave she said with a pointed glance, not wanting to indulge Marceline's mood any further. At the moment, there was another who demanded Ferrah attention.

After her brief comment to Marceline, Ferrah could see Eliza storming up to Caden and Colette, no doubt intending to interject once again. The Fathvell's expression was darker than her colouring. Measuring her stride, Ferrah adjusted her position so that when Eliza brushed passed, she was able to reach out and touch the other woman gently on the arm. As Eliza approached, Ferrah took a deep breath and soothed, bringing her modest strength to bear against Eliza's anger and frustration.

"Let them be," she said gently but firmly. Marceline was right to point out that now was not the time to be starting fights, at least, not among friends. Colette and Caden were another story of course, but Ferrah was confident her friend could handle herself against the bastard no matter how many buildings were burning down around them.

"We're moving, aren't we? And staying together. Colette will lead us out of this. She's more than capable of that. So what if she decides to also use this as an opportunity to put the bastard in his place?" Ferrah cocked her head to the side, taking in Eliza expression and posture. "You're new here, so Colette will probably forgive your little dalliance with the enemy, but you should keep in mind that things here in Luthadel are never what they seem. Caden may seem charming at first glance, but deep down he's as low as his heritage. Colette is the only thing preventing him from bringing Hasting to utter ruin."

Ferrah kept her voice low, and pushed more against Eliza's emotions, this time adding gentle pushes against infatuation and loyalty, hoping to snuff out any affection Caden might have kindled in her heart during the dance and ensuing duel. She hated to use her alomancy this way, especially against a single individual. It just felt wrong to attempt to control someone like this. However, Ferrah knew it was what Colette would want her to do in the circumstances, and so she really had no choice. She couldn't very well jeopardize her own station within the group by failing to curb open rebellion, after all. Still, she could tell her ministrations were weaker than they should have been because of her hesitation.

"I've been living with the Hastings for most of life," Ferrah continued, hoping to prevent Eliza from lashing out, "So I'm asking you to trust me when I tell you that Caden is not what he seems."

Posted Image
Posted Image

#49 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:29 AM

Under normal circumstances, Eliza would have found her temper rising to dangerous levels at Ferrah's words, but for some reason, as the other woman addressed her, she found those feelings melting away. It wasn't complete, of course, but it was just enough that Eliza was able to take control of herself and feel calm again. And with that calm came that sense of clarity again. Just what was wrong with these people? Couldn't they see how ridiculous this all was?

"Isn't what he seems?" she asked. "Let me guess: you want to warn me all about how he'll attempt to use me against Colette? About how he'll try to make a turncoat out of me? Because I already know all that; he told me himself that's what he wanted. So you'll forgive me, I'm sure, if I trust the man who's honest about his intentions over the woman who would rather stand in the middle of a burning building calling someone names than cooperate with another human being, even if it's to save her own skin."

Posted Image

#50 Ferrah Brehaut

• Clique Lieutenant

House Raisaal
  • Age20

• OriginAustrex

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:48 AM

Ferrah raised an eyebrow, trying her best to keep her cool in the face of Eliza's haughty tone. How dare the woman speak to her this way! True, Eliza was the only member of a Great House among the group besides Colette, and she did technically outrank Ferrah, but rank could only give so much within a circle like Colette's. Within the circle, what really mattered was one's standing with the leader, Colette, in in that regard Ferrah was clearly Eliza's superior. Besides, Fathvell had only just ascended, which meant that the difference between their houses probably didn't extend far beyond Fathvell's keep.

"You think he's being honest? Somehow, I doubt that. Do you think you are the first he's tried to turn? He used to depend more on his charm, leading girls along with dreams of romance until he'd used them up. However, as his actions grew suspicious, he began using other tactics. I'm sure his 'honesty' felt refreshing. Lord Ruler, I wouldn't be surprised if he had you agreeing to being used already. He does have a certain amount of low cunning, after all, which is what makes him dangerous."

Ferrah looked ahead, fixing her gaze on Colette's back. Could she hear their words? Would she approve? Ferrah was keeping her voice low, but the time since her last conference with Colette was beginning to worry her. What if she had done something displeasing without noticing it, and Colette was getting ready to tell Ferrah to mind her own business. It would happen in front of everyone, of course. The other girls would see, and with a single cool reprimand Ferrah would lose everything she had worked so hard to attain.

No! she told herself, tightening her focus. She was handling the situation to the best of her ability. If she had made any mistakes, and Colette noticed, she would understand. They were friends, after all, weren't they?

"Colette, on the other hand is a true leader. You praise Caden's honesty when he tells you he's going to use you against his cousin, but criticize Colette for being honest in her intentions. Don't you see, she's letting him know she knows what he is up to, and that she isn't going to stand for it. How do we know Caden wouldn't lead us all into danger just to see Colette burn? It would be so easy for him then. I'm sure he'd have an elaborate story of how he tried to save us all, but that he was overpowered by rebels and barely escaped with his life. Colette isn't trying petty, she's being strong." Ferrah hesitated, not liking the tone her voice was acquiring. She felt like a common stooge, whispering in Eliza's ear, trying to sway her loyalty. Shouldn't she be demanding this woman's respect, and putting her in her place for defying Colette? Later, she told herself. First they had to get out of this situation alive.

"You could learn a lot from her about being a scion of a Great House, if you would take the opportunity to learn."

Posted Image
Posted Image

#51 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:22 AM

Did Ferrah Brehaut actually understand the words that were coming out of her mouth? Could she even hear herself right now? Did she honestly think that cruel barbs like Colette's were as noble and honest as Caden's fair warning regarding what he was asking of her? More so, even? Just what kind of fantasy world did these people live in?

It was clear, though, that nothing she said or did was going to change this woman's mind, and after Caden's promises to help Eliza get away from Colette, it felt wrong to simply abandon him to her undivided attention. Whether or not he was as horrible a person as Ferrah said, and Eliza highly doubted he was, nobody deserved that.

"I would rather walk over there and throw myself into the fire," she said cooly, "than be anything like Colette. And if you think I'm crazy for saying that, then maybe you don't know her as well as you think you do.

"And you, Marceline," she continued, acting as if Ferrah had suddenly ceased to exist. She tried to keep her voice as calm and encouraging as possible, in order to keep the other woman from hyperventilating and passing out. "Just follow me. That's all you have to do: just keep breathing, and keep focused on following me. You can do that much, right?"

Again, though, she didn't stop to wait for an answer. Brushing past the other two women, she shoved her way to the front of the group and pushed her way in between the two arguing cousins. Caden was too heavy for someone of Eliza's build to effectively push, though, so she ended up forcing Colette to awkwardly stumble to the side as Eliza slipped her arm through Caden's.

"I beg your forgiveness for interrupting, Lord Caden," she said with a smile, "but I'm afraid it seems that trusting Lady Colette to cooperate has proven to be a waste of time. We'd all be much better served if you simply took the lead yourself. So lead on, my Lord. Our lives are in your hands."

Posted Image

#52 Caden Hasting

• Potential Hasting Heir (Hasting Hottie)

House Raisaal
  • Age24

• Relationship StatusIn a Relationship with Eliza Fathvell

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:36 AM

Caden felt every muscle in his body tighten at Colette's words. How did she do that to him? Calm, cool, collected, he reminded himself. He couldn't let her get to him, and he refused to sink to her level. Couldn't she see the kind of danger her petty words were putting them in? Of course she sees. Colette saw everything. More likely was the fact that she didn't care. Being in control was that much more important to her than the lives of everyone around her.

Caden strode on for several moments in silence, trying to think of something, anything to say next, that would make Colette see reason (or rather, a reason other than her own). Suddenly, Eliza was there, striding confidently between them, and asking him to lead them forward. She's headstrong he realized. Was this really the same woman who had found nearly broken by Colette's power a mere hour before? It was one thing to strike a reckless fool like Riordan Casuana for his indignity; but it was quite another to openly defy a woman like Colette. Caden resolved to be careful of how he used Eliza in his plans. If he wasn't careful, her courage could lead to foolishness, and land them both in trouble.

Not wanting to waste the opportunity, Caden took it, and began pushing ahead, using his larger frame to clear a path for the ladies behind him. The physicality of pushing his way through the crowd was a welcome distraction from Colette's barbs. Step here, drop a shoulder there, gently squeeze in between two people, and then spread out to create more space. Escaping through a frantic crowd was complicated, but it kept Caden's mind busy, allowing him to squeeze out his worry over what Colette might be doing or planning.

#53 Ferrah Brehaut

• Clique Lieutenant

House Raisaal
  • Age20

• OriginAustrex

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:52 AM

Ferrah nearly stopped walking when Eliza strode up between Colette and Caden. This can't be happening she told herself. The fire, the rebels, Eliza opening defying Colette again despite Ferrah's best efforts, it all must be some part of a bizarre nightmare. I've failed her. Colette counted on Ferrah to manage the group, and keep the other girls in line. If Ferrah couldn't do even that, what use would she be to Colette? The more powerful woman would be able to cast Ferrah aside with barely a thought, no matter how close their houses were. Or worse, she could keep Ferrah by her side, to be an object of ridicule for the entire group, and a warning to those who might fail her in the future.

She'll understand, Ferrah told herself. She has to. Feeling insecure, Ferrah sidled up next to Marceline, hoping for some comfort from her friend, realzing a little to late that during their last exchange she had called Marceline a hysterical idiot.

"Marceline, look," she said softly, trying to be contrite. "I shouldn't have said what I did earlier. Obviously the stress is getting to both of us." Ferrah shook her head wearily, taking not once again of the destruction and chaos around her. Belatedly, she realized she had nearly stopped soothing the crowd around her entirely, and so she redoubled her efforts.

Now, what could she say to Marceline? If Eliza was going to be trouble, or worse, if Colette was displeased, Ferrah would need the other girls on her side. "Eliza's right about staying calm, at least. If we just breathe we should be fine." Ferrah raised her fan to her mouth, hiding her words. "I would soothe you if I could, take away some of that fear and anxiety, but unfortunately we need your copper cloud. Just know that even if I can't help you with alomancy, I am still here for you." Ferrah gave her friend what she hoped was a brave smile. Lord Ruler, she felt foolish for playing nice so soon after calling Marceline an idiot to her face. You'll be okay, she told herself again, Colette will forgive you.

Fixating on Eliza, the cause of her woes, Ferrah shook her head in indignation. "Still, prudent or not, can you believe her behavior? For all we know Caden is trying to get us all killed just to get at Colette, and the woman undermining her in front of him! When we get out of this, Colette is not going to be happy. Don't you agree?"

Posted Image
Posted Image

#54 Marceline Dumont

• Member of The Posse

Posse Member
  • Age18

• OriginAustrex

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

Marceline didn't need this right now. Her eyes went wide when Ferrah talked to her and she was on the verge of forgetting herself and following Caden. Anything to get her out of there. But did she really have to choose now? She wanted to continue to be accepted by Lady Colette, but if Caden and Eliza could get her out....

"I do agree that Lady Colette will not be happy, However, it seems to me," Marceline said slowly, her voice still at a hysterical pitch, though she was trying to think clearly, "That Lady Eliza and Lord Caden can get me out of here. Perhaps you can just inform Lady Colette that I am a hysterical idiot." She took a deep breath. She could do this. However, when she started speaking, her eyes flicked to the floor. She wasn't nearly strong enough to not feel at least a little ashamed.

"As for Lady Eliza's behavior, someone had to take charge of the group. Personally, I value my life more than I fear Lady Colette, and I dislike pain, so if you will excuse me, I believe that my chance of getting out of here is escaping. I will apologize to Lady Colette later." Marceline was still hesitant to actually leave the group, but she couldn't stay after that. She just reassured herself with the thought that sometimes the best strategy was to follow the person who was actually doing something. Her eyes flicked up to meet Ferrah's, and she began to walk towards Eliza and Caden. Maybe Lady Colette will follow...She does need my coppercloud, after all...

#55 Ferrah Brehaut

• Clique Lieutenant

House Raisaal
  • Age20

• OriginAustrex

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

Ferrah blinked as Marceline pushed ahead. Lord Ruler, what she wouldn't give for a quiet parlour or stately banquet hall. How was she supposed to do anything in an environment like this? Furthermore, why did Marceline have to be difficult and leave her? Couldn't she see that Ferrah needed her? True, their situation was dire, but that didn't mean they couldn't look out for each other as friends.

Trying her best to keep up to Marceline, Colette and the others, Ferrah caught sight of Celestine out of the corner of her eye. Celestine will be on my side Ferrah told herself. Still moving through the small break in the crowd that Caden was creating (he was good for that at least), Ferrah maneuvered herself so she could walk beside Celestine. Perhaps if they could keep up, Marceline would notice them speaking and would join them.

"Can you believe that Eliza Fathvell? One ball and she's already defecting over to the bastard's side, and causing trouble for Colette. I think she's going to be trouble, don't you? Once we get out of here, we will have to figure out what we are going to do about her."

Posted Image
Posted Image

#56 Celestine Beliveaux

• Member of Colette's Posee

5th Tier Elariel
  • Age19

• OriginAustrex

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

Celestine froze for a quick moment, her slightly hysterical mind almost unable to form coherent sentences as Ferrah began to talk to her. Fortunately, that quickly wore off, and Celestine fell into step, adopting the familiar mannerisms of the posse.

"Lord Ruler knows how much trouble that girl could cause if we let her get any closer to Caden! I agree completely, we need to do something quickly to stop her from defecting any further " Even with a keep burning behind her, Celestine could never resist an opportunity to protect Colette. "Perhaps we could arrange for an..." She paused, mind considering all the possible options they could take to bring Eliza back in line, only these familiar thought patterns holding back the hysterical voice in the back of her head. "embarrassment, or some such thing to happen to her... accidentally, of course."

She smiled, the viciousness she felt towards Eliza for abandoning Colette, the proper heir, bubbling beneath the surface. "Of course, we do need to get out of this cursed keep!" She picked up her pace to keep up with Ferrah, and they continued to follow Colette and Caden.

#57 Colette Hasting

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:32 PM

This was getting ridiculous. First Eliza and Marceline revolted, then Caden scored the victory, and now Eliza was marching along at his side like a self-satisfied little twit? What had things come to?

But no, Colette had already lost her cool once; she didn't need to do it again. Caden may have won the battle, but she could still turn the situation to her advantage - or so she hoped. She would just have to calm down and retake control in her own way.

"Quite right, dear, quite right," she said to Celestine once she had regained her composure. "Of course, my cousin does seem rather taken with her, doesn't he? Perhaps it might be nice to let them get to know each other a little better. It would be good for him to get his mind off house business for a while, don't you think?"

And by that, of course, she meant it would be good to have Eliza nearby to distract him from getting in her way.

"Why, she could even keep us apprised of how he's doing. You know how I worry about him, after all."

Posted Image

#58 Marceline Dumont

• Member of The Posse

Posse Member
  • Age18

• OriginAustrex

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:04 AM

Marceline could hear everything being said behind her and it bothered her. It bothered her a lot. Why did it bother her this much? And on top of that, the keep was still on fire. Now, Marceline was not one to dwell on things, but really. Why. Was the Keep. Still on fire.

To get her mind off of this, slightly, she worried about Lady Colette. What if she was mad? What would Marceline do if Lady Colette was angry with her? Lady Colette was Marceline's way around Luthadel society and she had no idea what she would do if she lost that.

Finally Marceline tugged on Eliza's sleeve, walking quickly to keep up with her. "How close are we to the door because the fire is getting worse and I think Lady Colette is probably irritated at me and I want to apologize but I can't because we are still stuck in this keep, which is still on fire, and who even sets a keep on fire and why haven't they done anythin-"

Edited by MozytheHealer, 22 April 2014 - 01:04 AM.

#59 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:21 AM

The blissful confidence kept up, thank the Lord Ruler, and Eliza was perfectly content to stride through the crowd on Caden's arm. He had finally experienced a burst of confidence himself, and had taken over leading the group - and if Eliza could encourage him by showing faith and confidence in his abilities, then that was what she would do.

Of course, it helped that she actually trusted him more than Colette to get them out anyways.

Before long, though, Eliza felt a tug on her sleeve, and suddenly there was Marceline, rambling about Colette and the keep and who knows what all else she would mention if this keep up? Poor thing. Eliza guessed that was one area in which she had advantage over most women in Luthadel: familiarity with imminent mortal peril.

"Marceline," she said sternly, cutting the other woman off mid-sentence and putting her free arm firmly around her shoulders. "Please. Remember what I said before: just breathe, and focus on walking with Caden and me. Now, I want you to listen very closely to what I'm about to tell you." She softened her tone then, speaking firmly but in a more reassuring way.

"I don't know why the keep is on fire, and honestly I don't care. They are doing something. Think about it; who would let their keep sit there and burn? But not all fires are easy to put out, and so we have to get out of the way and let the nice men do their work.

"Second, do not think about Colette right now. There's nothing either of us can do about her right now, and worrying will only distract you from doing what you need to do. So don't. Think. About. Her. All I want you to think about is remembering to breathe, putting one foot in front of the other, and following Caden. Can you do that for me, Marceline? That's all you have to do, and you will be just. Fine. I promise."

Posted Image

#60 Marceline Dumont

• Member of The Posse

Posse Member
  • Age18

• OriginAustrex

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:46 AM

Marceline listened to Eliza with wide eyes and the occasional, quick, shaky nod. She kept walking. That was important, apparently. Keep walking, keep her mind off the fire, keep her mind off of Lady Colette, and breathe. Why was that so hard?

"I-I don't-I can try..." She said, trying to keep herself from rambling again. "I can hear Lady Colette talking, though, and it..." She wouldn't ramble. She could keep herself in control. "I apologize. Breathe, right? I can do that....I think I can do that."

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users