The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
» Forum Rules
» The Story Thus Far
» Character Application
» Frequently Asked Questions
» Character System Guide
» Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
» The Three Metallic Arts
» Guide to the Final Empire
» Map of Luthadel
» The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
» Introduce Yourself
» Universal Continuity Thread
» The Timeline
» Adoptable Characters
» Wanted Characters
» Face Registry
» Open Threads List

Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Mistaken

Closed W2 D2 MA Daerra Elariel Etienne Deveaux

33 replies to this topic

#21 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:50 PM

Daerra felt a chill run down her spine. What exactly did other people say about her? Aaron's words from that terrible night flittered through her mind, You know, our father always said there was something wrong with you. I always thought he was wrong. Now… now I'm not so sure. Were people whispering behind her back, calling her a monster? And even worse, were they right? She remembered her anxieties after dancing with Nerid at the Casuana ball, and felt momentarily nauseous, before pushing the feeling away. She was in control now! She would not let her anxieties take over. She would be strong.

She tried her hardest to maintain the warmth and mirth in her voice, but she wasn't entirely happy with the result. "And what exactly, are these alleged 'people' saying, that I am so far from your expectations hmmm?" She tried to make it sound like she was joking, but her laugh was lame even in her ears. No! Whatever you do, you can't slip now! Get your act together!. Suddenly, thoughts of giving Damien Deveaux what was coming to him began to slip from her mind. Adjusting her hair as she collected herself, when she turned to face Etienne her voice had regained it's warmth. "My thoughts, Lord Etienne, are quite valuable. Do you expect me to give them away? Maybe if you are lucky, I'll trade you them for your arm."

#22 Etienne Deveaux

• Clown prince of Deveaux

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age17

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:43 AM

There was something different in her voice when she answered him this time. Etienne could hear it. Her laugh wasn't the same light-hearted peal as before; it held a harsher note. It wasn't really amused at all, and there was a hint of a strange expression on her face. Belatedly, he realized that she might have taken that as an insult; she might even be hurt. Directly afterward, she seemed to shrug it off, but he did not forget that it had happened, despite her warm, friendly tone. He could have passed over the question and gone on with the escape she had offered him, but he chose not to, after hearing that.

"Well," he said lightheartedly, altering the opinion of the general public to the most positive spin he could put on it, "they say you are reserved, and don't suffer fools gladly, Lady Daerra, yet you are putting up with me with a great deal of patience and kindness." He grinned, and added, "I would value your thoughts very highly if you gave them to me, and will trade my arm in a heartbeat."

#23 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:33 AM

Daerra smiled and took his arm, but her insides seemed to wrench inside of her. He was lying. The way he had hesitated, beginning with the word 'well,' so he had time to put his thoughts in order and consider what to tell her and what to keep back had said it all. They have no right to judge me, not when they secretly wish for my position and abilities. Unsurprisingly, Etienne had seen her insecurity. Now she would use her own vulnerability to get what she wanted, because that was what she did best.

"My thoughts, Lord Etienne, are all bent on figuring out the puzzle you have presented me with," Daerra said, now making her voice sound soft and thoughtful. "You claim he drains you dry, leaving you a soulless husk, but that is obviously not true. Your eyes... they... they are full of life and vitality. You, I think, are an unconquered spirit. You are also obviously intelligent, and thus, these reports should not trouble you as they seem too. And yet, you seem to think spending time with your cousin, who is, whatever you say, a perfect gentleman, is painful." Daerra paused again, as if thinking. "I wonder, do people often mistake you for him, as I did earlier? Or perhaps, even compare you? It must be difficult, being compared to someone so formidable, who seems to never be bothered, rarely makes mistakes, and has such a talent for business. Perhaps this is why the reports trouble you. You do not try, because if you don't try, no one can compare your best effort to Damien's and find it lacking. That, is the key, I think. You measure yourself against Damien, to some degree, and it is that insecurity you dread, rather than your cousin's company."

Daerra shook her head, as if she had been startled from a reverie. "Forgive me, Lord Etienne. I did not mean to become so candid. Your personal insecurities are your own. I should not have delved into them. It seems my tongue has run away without me." Daerra gave him a wistful smile. "I don't know what came over me. It seems, Lord Etienne, that you have the uncanny ability stir up random boughts of nonsensical musings. I hope you will use this power wisely."

#24 Etienne Deveaux

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age17

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:46 AM

Etienne nearly stumbled as she began to speak, though he recovered his step without much more than a hitch. He laughed, a little hollowly, feeling distinctly uncomfortable now. What had she been looking for when she had looked at him like that? Was this really what she’d seen?

“I’m sorry, Lady Daerra, but you are mistaken. I…”

Did he want to be Damien? His cousin was respected by everyone in the family, from his father to his uncle Augustin. He was the model that Etienne was expected to follow, the ideal Deveaux, completely dedicated to his duty to the House. His life was defined by that. He was the perfect businessman, and he was friendless and alone. He never laughed, and barely cracked a smile, except for that polite, cold expression that could not really be called a smile at all.

Of course he was compared to Damien. And of course he always fell short. But he wanted to fall short. He did not want to be the perfect Deveaux tool.

Never. He never wanted to be Damien. If he could change Damien instead, do something to pull him out of that hollow existence... Sometimes his cousin would say something, without even thinking about it, that would make Etienne feel cold inside to hear it. Etienne meant to be nothing and something at the same time, he meant never to disappear. Damien had already disappeared, just like Camille had.

“I am an imbecile, honestly. Turned over to Damien as a last resort, because Deveaux couldn’t figure out what else to do with me,” he said brightly. “My highest ambition is to make other people laugh. At me, generally, it turns out; I’m very good at doing or saying stupid things,” Etienne added. “I’m very secure about that, really. In fact, I’d say I have a positive talent.”

He realized that his own smile had faltered a little despite his tone, and recovered it. "I, um. Don't mind you being candid with me, not at all, though. I'd rather you were."

#25 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:51 AM

Daerra nodded as receptively as Etienne spoke, picking apart his each and every word with care. She was completely in control again, and her feelings of unease were beginning to fade away. When he finished, she stopped him with a light touch on his arm, and turned to meet his eyes. "Very well then, Lord Etienne, if you want me to be candid than I will. Making people laugh, while a talent, is a rather uninspired goal for someone such as yourself. It seems I was wrong about you and your cousin, it wouldn't be the first time, but I know I'm right about you. You're special Etienne, and it's a sin to let your talents go to waste. Sometimes, ambition can be a good thing." Daerra paused again, looked ahead, and began walking. "That's what I think anyways. Now, since I've been candid with you, it's time for you to return the favour. You might by frivolous, or downright silly, but you can hardly call yourself an imbecile. You aren't one, and you're too smart to think you are one too."

#26 Etienne Deveaux

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age17

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:57 AM

If he’d been able to burn zinc, he would have Rioted her amusement and possibly disdain, to somehow get her to stop saying something like that. He didn’t know what to do with that, or how to respond. She sounded, unexpectedly, like Damien. But it had a different effect coming from her; he felt awkward, and embarrassed. Were his ears red? He hoped they weren’t; he could feel them burning, however, and had a strong suspicion that they were.

“Um,” he said, eloquently. “Thank you,” he tried a second time. “For your good opinion of me.” She needed to change it; somehow he had to persuade her to change it. And he didn’t want her to, at the same time. She was talking to him because she thought he was special, and interesting. She liked him. He didn’t want her to dislike him.

“But if I can make someone, like you, laugh, or just smile,” he said sincerely, “that’s an inspiring goal enough for me. I don’t really need more than that.”

#27 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:08 AM

"And what value is there in a smile, or laugher?" Daerra asked, letting a hint of bitterness enter her voice. He already knew she was insecure. Using that was far more productive than pretending it hadn't happened. "Both usually only last for moments before they are gone. If you want to make people happy, why not create something that lasts, or do something to make their world better permanently? Your jokes may be endearing and amusing, Etienne, but how do they help me when you are gone, and people continue to whisper behind my back? Will I still be smiling then?"

Daerra took a moment to pause thoughtfully, seeming to order what she was going to say next, though she had it planned out already. "Smiles and laughter might be enjoyable, but if you really cared, which I can tell you do, why not try to go deeper, and truly try to improve peoples' lives, rather than just distract them from their troubles?" Daerra paused. The last time she had spoken this way, it had been with Marisha and Claudia over dinner, discussing the nature of history in the Final Empire. Why did speaking with Etienne continually remind her of that accursed ball?

#28 Etienne Deveaux

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age17

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:13 AM

“Sometimes a distraction is what people need in order to solve their own troubles,” Etienne answered, a little more quietly than he meant to. Was he talking seriously? It felt uncomfortable, and he wanted very much to revert back into flippancy. “Thinking about whatever’s wrong, dwelling on it, it’s like a poison. It isn’t good for you. It doesn’t give you an answer to the problem. It just hurts. If you see the funny side instead, then it all becomes much easier. Just a touch of happiness can make a difference.”

He paused. “I can’t really repair things that are wrong. I’d be more likely to make it worse if I tried to interfere in someone else’s life. But I can hope that, since I have the ability to stir up random thoughts, maybe you’ll muse about this later, try to think of a joke, and smile again, even if people are whispering.”

#29 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:24 AM

Daerra nodded absently. She was running out of time, she had an appointment to get to after all. But she felt confident that she had done enough today that she could build on it later. Now, to send Damien Deveaux a little message. "I've enjoyed speaking with you, Etienne," she said carefully. "You have given me something to think about. But, I really should be going." Daerra looked down, fiddling with the handle of her parasol, and gently unlinking her arm from his. After a moment, she looked up again, and met his eyes, staring directly into them as she had before. She gave him a small, shy smile as she did so. "I would like to speak with you again some time."

#30 Etienne Deveaux

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age17

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:41 AM

He regretted it when she let go of his arm and drew away, particularly since she was saying she had to leave. But then she turned around and looked back into his eyes again, and even though it made him feel all kinds of awkward again, it was not at all an unpleasant confusion. Etienne smiled brightly at her. “So would I. Like to speak with you, I mean. If you’d like to. May I see you again soon?”

#31 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:56 AM

Daerra let her smile deepen as Etienne stumbled through his reply. Unless she had totally misread him, and he was trying to manipulate her, she had him. She tapped her index finger against her chin thoughtfully, and let her grin grow mischevious. "Perhaps. We'll have to see." Turning to go, Daerra counted to five before facing him again.

"I'll be attending a luncheon in Fellise in three days. It's being hosted by a geologist looking for a patron from one of the Great Houses. Since I don't fancy listening to Lord Neiselle drone on about rocks all afternoon, I would appreciate having someone there I could talk to."

The geologist in question was the one Daerra and Aaron had stolen the atium from. It had been Aaron's idea to attend the luncheon, to see if the man would be getting in any more precious materials they could steal. They had planned on going together, but somehow, Daerra doubted he would be going after what had happened. I'm fine on my own. I don't need him anyway.

#32 Etienne Deveaux

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age17

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:16 AM

Etienne almost leapt forward to head her off when she turned away. It was not fair for her to be this bewildering, and not give him a real answer. It really wasn’t. However, she turned back after only a short pause, and then she said yes. Etienne felt a surge of excitement, somewhat tempered by the fact that he really could not think of anything more dull than a geology lecture (except possibly shipping schedules). Fortunately, she apparently wasn’t really interested in geology at all.

Could he get that afternoon free? Would Damien let him off? That was a hurdle to face when he came to it; he wasn't going to tell her it could be a problem, anyway. “I would be delighted to accompany you, Lady Daerra,” he said. He attempted a solemn and formal attitude, but he could not hold back a wide grin.

#33 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:18 AM

Daerra flashed him her best smile, she had been saving it for their good-bye. Etienne was hers. Now all that was left was to throw in a little barb for Damien. "Excellent. I'll look forward to seeing you," she said as she gave him a polite curtsy. Then, she turned to go once again, but turned back as if she had just remembered something. "Oh, and you must tell Damien how much I appreciated his help the other night. He really was a gentleman, and I don't know what I would do without him."

#34 Etienne Deveaux

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age17

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:28 AM

What did Damien have to do with anything? Besides the fact that Etienne would have to convince him to let him go, of course, but Etienne did not see why he should say any such thing to Damien at all. Why was she bringing him up? “Of course I shall,” he said, just a little crestfallen. “Goodbye until we meet again, Lady Daerra.”

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users