The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

51 replies to this topic

#41 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

Daerra did her best to keep her smile saccharine and her demeanor jovial. She couldn't afford to lose control now. Behind her mask of false emotions, her hidden self fumed. Who did Viridian Demesne think she was, standing in the way of Daerra Elariel? Standing between her and her own brother no less, and having to gall to presume she knew better than Daerra what was best for Aaron.

"Oh come now Viridian, let's not be childish. I'll only take a moment of his time. Hardly worth scheduling an 'appointment' for." Looking past the impassive mistborn, Daerra turned to her brother. He still had his back turned to her. Why won't he face me? Daerra felt a twinge of fear creep down her spine. Could he really stay angry forever?

"Come on Aaron, tell your body guard I..."

"Lady Viridian, if you would be so kind, I'd prefer if you asked Lady Daerra to leave."

#42 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

Hearing her there, talking in a cheery tone like nothing had happened. It made him feel sick inside. Mikhail was dead because of her, and she thought a few meaningless smiles and false kindnesses could sweep everything under the rug. How could she bring herself to smile after what she had done? How could she continually brush it off and pretend like nothing had changed?

Because, for her, nothings has, he realized. In her mind, she had achieved an objective by removing an obstacle in the path of her ambition, nothing more. It didn't matter that the obstacle had been a living, breathing member of her family. Mikhail had been expendable, and so she had used him up, and Phrya Venture with him. It was time Aaron cut himself off from her, before she decided to use him up as well.

"Come on Aaron, tell your body guard I..."

Aaron cut her off before she could finish. "Lady Viridian," he said, surprising himself with the coolness of his tone. "If you would be so kind, I'd prefer if you asked Lady Daerra to leave." He didn't turn around. He didn't even stop stretching. If he gave her the chance, Aaron knew Daerra could swing his head around anyway she wanted it. She knew him better than anyone, but he was through playing her games. He couldn't give her the opportunity to force him to play them again.

#43 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

Despite herself, Daerra felt the blood drain out of her face. He hadn't even turned around. His dismissal had been delivered succinctly in a clear but cold voice that reminded her more of her father than her brother. He hadn't given her a chance to explain herself, or apologize, or anything. He didn't even have the decency to stand and face her as he completely and utterly rejected her.

Unwillingly, Daerra took a step back, trying to remaster herself. Aaron, the one person she had always trusted wouldn't even look her in the eye any more. Aaron, her only confidante refused to listen to a thing she said. Aaron, her brother, who she had shared their mothers' womb with, now didn't even want to breathe the same air as her for any longer than he had to.

I don't need him, Daerra told herself, even though she knew she was lying. How dare he turn his back on her! I don't need him. He, who should know more than anyone how much she depended on him. I don't need him. Fine then! She would let him have his way. Let him struggle and fight his way through his new duties without her. I don't need him. Let him rue the day he had turned against her; betrayed her. I don't need him. Let him fight and suffer and fail, until he grew sick of it all and came crawling back to her, begging for her help. I don't need him. Then she would have him. Then she would show him. Teach him a lesson he would never forget. She would...

I would take him in my arms and tell him everything will be all right, then do whatever it takes to make it so. Try as she might, she could not bring herself to see Aaron as the enemy. She might not be able to trust him anymore. He'd abused her trust, turned her away when she needed him. Though it terrified her to admit it, she might never be able to trust him, or anyone, ever again. But she would never stop protecting him. Never. You can beat yourself up all you want, brother. But I will never let anyone else lay a finger on you while I have power to stop it.

Daerra realized she was still standing before Viridan Demesne like a slack-jawed buffoon. Marshaling her faculties, she focused her emotions, bringing color back to her cheeks, expression to her face, and moistening her throat so she could speak again. Sentimental fool. She couldn't let her emotions get in the way, even with regards to Aaron. She might not be able to change how she felt about her brother, but she could change how much those feeling affected her. Her emotions were her tools, not the other way around. If he didn't wish to speak her, fine. That was his choice. His decision. She couldn't let it affect her own plans. She was Daerra Elariel, and she would be beholden to no one, not even her brother.

"Very well then," she said, silently blessing herself for telling her father and uncle she was initiating a fake feud with Aaron. Those who weren't astute enough to notice the siblings weren't spending time together would surely hear of this exchange by night fall. Her bond with Aaron was one of her prime bargaining chips with both of them, and she couldn't afford to let them know she had lost it. Yes, let them think this is all part of the game. She would tell them she was meeting with Aaron in secret, feeding him what instructions she agreed to in the form of advice in exchange for favors. Aaron was known to be unpredictable. They need not know their instructions were not being delivered. Besides, Aaron had servants, friends, who could be her proxies. She refused to let her brother's infantile emotions set her back.

"If that's all, I guess I should be going. Good luck with your exercises."

#44 Viridian Demesne

Chunky the Mistwraith

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

"Please be sure to make an appointment in the future," Viridian informed her as helpfully as she was able. Turning away and moving to stand beside Aaron. Daerra had been shaken, her expression had not been difficult to read, though she had gathered herself expertly. She might have schemes with Aaron at the center. Whatever they might be Viridian intended to keep them on the opposite side of the household where they represented the least physical threat.

In the meantime she had to examine her charge to ensure if he would be ready to undertake the course again or not. So many of his relatives were concerned she was beginning to question the wisdom of running him through the course again, "Are you enfeebled or otherwise ill that I am made unaware of Lord Aaron?"
<div align=center>user posted image</div>

Attached NPC's: Davon Demesne, Alyss Demesne

#45 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:27 AM

Breathe Daerra told herself in face of Viridian's casual dismissal. You are calm, collected. Smile, but not too sweetly. Keep things casual. An offense like this is beneath your notice, not worth the attention it would take to form a reply. Be careful not to smirk, just a mild, contented look. A slight upturn to the edges of the lips. That's all that's required. Eyes should be neutral, there's no reason to be excited, and you are above anger or sadness. Posture relaxed, body language smooth and free from irritation or worry. You are perfectly at ease.

As Viridian turned back to her conversation with Aaron, Daerra took her leave without argument. She had a tea to get to after all, and Claudia couldn't be too much longer. Not too quickly. Let your walk be stately. Graceful. Imagine the high lords and ladies admiring your innate strength, gentle exterior, and perfect decorum. Let Aaron and Viridian enjoy their training session. What they did or thought was none of her concern. She would not allow her feelings towards either of them hijack her any longer.

I'm fine Daerra told herself. Everything will be all right.

#46 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:45 AM

"What?" Aaron asked. Where in the world had she gotten that idea? "Enfeebled? I..." Aaron found himself at a loss for words. He'd always been aware of his failings as an academic and politician. That's why he'd stopped caring about such things. It was easier just to accept the fact he would never achieve competency in those areas, and focus on those things he did excel at. Having Viridian question his ability to perform in an area he had always thought he excelled in was surprisingly troubling.

"I..." Now what did he do? He couldn't exactly start lauding his own praises without feeling entirely ridiculous. Not only was he talking to a mistborn, he was talking to Viridian Demesne. The woman probably exercised in her sleep, and from what he had seen from her unusually cut clothing, she was more muscular than he was, if not more so. Definitely moreso, he corrected himself. In terms of fitness, she could likely give Caden Hasting a run for his money, if not in pure muscle mass.

"I..." Say something! "I think I'm feeling fine, thank-you," he answered cautiously, still curious as to where Viridian had gotten the idea he was physically incompetent. Had he done that poorly at the course? I thought she said I was adequate... "I guess I had a little trouble with that first wall, but those studs weren't much for handholds, and I'm not used to climbing sheer surfaces without the use of iron. But, that doesn't make me enfeebled, does it?"

#47 Viridian Demesne

Chunky the Mistwraith

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

"Apologies," Viridian returned automatically. Identifying the miscommunication, and proceeding to clarify her thoughts. While it was clear now that Aaron suffered from an inferiority complex, she deduced he had very little chance to be otherwise. "I mean only to comment on the actuality that those with whom you share blood consider you to be frail or weak."

She walked counterclockwise in a circle around him, it was still to difficult to discern what was beneath his clothing, however his showing on the course did not suggest a man who was inherently incapable or otherwise impaired. Any man whose esteem in the eyes of his blood relations was held with such callous disregard, could make for a better student.

"I comment because I was approached by your father. He shared threat of consequences should you find yourself injured grievously or otherwise under my tutelage. As no such threat was offered prior to this instance, I can only assume that his concern was in relation to your performance on the course.

"An insignificant quantity of time has passed since, yet Daerra has made to speak with you amid expression of similar concern that your purpose in training with me is in some manner unwise or dangerous." She ended her examination by coming to stand face to face with him, tilting her head just slightly in thought.

"Your relatives believe you are inferior Aaron." Without preamble she reached out and gripped his arm, it felt hard, not flabby or soft, "If I am to properly instruct you I am required to know if their concern is valid or an insult. Remove your upper garments. I would have a look at your physique and judge for myself."

Edited by Viridian Demesne, 14 February 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#48 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

"You want me too...?" Aaron said, cringing as his voice cracked slightly before he trailed off, wondering why he had even bothered to be surprised. After a moment of hesitation, he proceeded to comply with Viridian's instructions. He'd never been ashamed of his body, so he didn't see why he should begin to be now just because it was being placed under more direct scrutiny.

Aaron knew he was handsome, and his mother had made certain to ensure he took pride in his appearance. He didn't dwell on it like some other nobles (men and women) did, spending hours before the mirror preparing themselves, but he enjoyed wearing clothing that fit well and was in fashion. While he was on the leaner side, his love for allomancy and acrobatics had always ensured he was physically fit, and, until recently, he had never had much reason to be uncomfortable in or self concious of his own skin.

"There," he said as he removed his shirt, holding out his arms for Viridian's inspection. "Do I pass your assessment, oh great mistborn?"

#49 Viridian Demesne

Chunky the Mistwraith

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:59 AM

Viridian examined him carefully. Walking a slow circle as though she might uncover something at one angle she did not see from another. Occasionally she tilted her head in her fashion but by the time she was facing him once more she wore an inquisitive expression, "I do not understand?" she said at last, "You are well built. Fit physically, lacking a single debilitating injury or deformity. Why do your relatives consider you inferior?"

Edited by Viridian Demesne, 15 February 2012 - 03:01 AM.

#50 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:54 AM

Again Aaron was at a loss for words, not really knowing what to say. He spread his arms helplessly, a look of confusion on his face, before bringing them back to his sides. "Honestly? I have no idea. I'm not even really certain where you got the idea in the first place. I mean, you have to admit, forcing me through this obstacle course without allomancy is pretty damn..." Aaron cut off just in time. Had he really been about to call his dangers mistborn trainer/bodyguard crazy? What was he thinking.

"Unorthodox," he finished lamely before too much time elapsed. He kept talking, hoping that if he pressed on, he could avoid offending Viridian. "I mean, these obstacles were designed for allomancers after all. Not being physical allomancers themsleves, my father and sister probably can't even imagine completing this course with iron or steel." That last bit wasn't exactly true. Andrew kept careful track of Aaron's allomantic abilities, taking pride in one of the few areas in which his son excelled. He also knew almost as much about mistborn as any non-mistborn could.

Daerra hadn't kept records of his progress like their father, but she had been there throughout their childhood. Before her life was taken over by schemes and appointments, she would often sit through his entire training session, cheering him on from the sidelines. Later, when they began their thieving crew, she got to know the extent of his abilities better than anyone. Don't think about that any more. She's not your sister anymore. She's a different person now, and you are too... It was hard, knowing the Daerra he had grown up with, who he would always love unconditionally, was lost to him. The worst part was, he couldn't quite quash the hope that she would come back to him someday.

"It could also just be that they are concerned for me," he continued. "Because of affection, not any deficiency." Aaron wasn't sure about that either. He couldn't really picture his father, always so distant and composed, caring for anyone. The Daerra he thought he knew had seemed genuinely concerned for his well being on multiple occasions, but he wasn't sure how she and the mastermind behind Mikhail's murder could be the same person. Nonetheless, it sounded good, and so he pressed on. "Their feelings for me are probably making them worry, that's all."

#51 Viridian Demesne

Chunky the Mistwraith

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

"Familial concern is illogical," she expressed in a deadpan tone, shaking her head just slightly in dismissal, "Were you house mistborn it is probable you would have been regularly beaten physically and psychologically until suggestible enough to witness as commanded. You are not mistborn, consequently you are misting yet allow yourself to be observed as a delicate flower. You will clarify to those around you that you are not fragile and should not be mistaken as such."

She considered him a moment longer. He was only an experiment but as with all previous theory's she would carry this one to it's end. If her purpose was to defend him than he had to be capable of defending himself. A physical presence was not enough to instil a proper respect in a docile man.

"You are sufficiently recuperated to continue," she informed him, turning back to the course, "I would like for you to consider your body mass in successive attempts. You are exceptionally agile yet lack precision. When leaping, consider where you will end, consider your position and momentum, plan accordingly," she bobbed her head toward him before indicating with her arm in the direction of the course, "Your body is often a hindrance, concentrate on area's where this is especially true, seek method's to utilize momentum and mass to your favor instead."

#52 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

"Viridian..." Aaron didn't know what to say. Could she really dismess all human connections as negligible distractions? In her training as mistborn, had she really gone through the physical and psychological trauma she described? Aaron found his eyes sliding to her hand, the one she was missing two fingers from. He'd assumed she'd lost her finger tips on some sort of mission, the battle scars of a grizzled war veteran. He'd never even considered the injuries could have been sustained when Viridian was still a child.

Viridian had already left the topic behind, moving on to making suggestions for improvement. Not wanting to make her uncomfortable, Aaron let her press on, deciding to keep quiet for now. But silently, he promised himself he would do his part to bring a little light into Viridian's dark world. He had failed with Daerra, let her lose herself. Viridian was similar to Daerra in some ways. They had similar drive and lack of true emotion. However, despite her constant composure, Viridian seemed to know exactly who she was, and never pretended to by anything else; flaunting her status as mistborn rather than hiding it. With a little humor and friendship, perhaps he could succeed here where he had failed with his sister.

Viridian's criticism was a little harsh, but Aaron could see the reason behind it. His first time through the course, he'd just been focusing on getting through the damned thing, not giving much thought to technique or finesse. This time he would do better.

"Sounds like a plan," said Aaron, moving into position. "Shall I begin?"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users