The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Waiting

W2 D1 EV Khaelys Klyde Zincell

37 replies to this topic

#1 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:08 AM

Push
Khaelys floated in the mists. He felt... satisfied. He always did, especially after a job such as this. Killing the obligator had been an easy task. His death didn't spark any investigation. He wasn't important enough. But it was a powerful strike against Lekal.

However, Khaelys was left with a dilemma. He did his job, and was paid for it. I am never working for a soother again. Khaelys had never worked for a theiving crew that was so... neurotic. But he was out of a job, and the rumbling in his stomach was at odds with his laziness.

Khaelys released his Push, and landed with a soft thump. He didn't know what he was doing here in the middle of the day. Perhaps he wanted to get out of the house. Maybe he hoped to find a job. He leaned up against a wall... and waited
user posted image

#2 Klyde

• Crewleader

Looking Good in Red
  • Age31

• Relationship StatusSeparated / It's Complicated

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:39 AM

Klyde strolled down the alley, not really paying attention to where he was going. His meeting with the mist-gremlin wasn't until late, and the mists were only just beginning to come out. Alll around him, skaa were shutting their doors and barring their windows as they settled in for the night. Even though most city skaa knew the mists wouldn't steal your soul, many still avoided going out in the night, some out of superstition, and some out of practicality. Klyde could see the wisdom in it. In his mind, getting knifed for your spare change was worse than being possessed by a mist spirit any day.

Thump

Klyde whirled around, a knife from his sleeve appearing in his hand, seemingly out of nowhere. The thump had been soft, but audible, and years on the streets had trained him to be on the lookout for assassins.

Standing in front of him was a youth leaning against a wall that he was sure hadn't been there a moment ago. Sneaky little bugger, he thought. Thank goodness he hadn't been drinking. I should really quit that. Delissia will want me cleaned up... whenever I find her. Klyde had been feeling uneasy ever since his return to Luthadel. There were too many familiar faces, and too many old grudges. The sooner he was out of here the better. Some part of him, however, felt like he had come home, and itched to get back in the game. He knew all to well how addicting it could be.

Cautiously, he slid his knife back up his sleeve and approached the boy. "Careful kid," he said. "I don't want no trouble. What are you doing over there?"

#3 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:48 AM

Khaelys turned. His hand twitched instintively toward his belt. He was surpised to see that the man. I need to work on my landings. When have dramatics ever helped me?

"You know, it is kind of a rare opporitunity to see skaa out in the mist. Even rarer are one who are not dead." He walked over to the tall man, dropping a dagger from his low sleeve. "I would advise against you mugging me. It is not in your best interest. If that isn't your plan, you better start talking fast."

--
Hey, Im gonna be away from the computer for maby a half hour. Ill be back ASAP :D
user posted image

#4 Klyde

• Crewleader

Looking Good in Red
  • Age31

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:59 AM

"Whoa kid!" said Klyde, backing away slowly. What had he gotten himself into this time? Ruler's Ashes, was everyone in this god-forsaken city insane? "No need to get twitchy. I got money of my own, don't need none of yours. No need to be giving me orders..." Klyde continued to watch the boy carefully. This one was dangerous, that was obvious. He would have to be careful in his dealings with him. Klyde kept an eye on him, watching for any sign he was about to attack, and prepared to defend himself. He didn't want to fight the kid, but if the little nut attacked, Klyde would have no choice.

#5 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:21 AM

The man seemed safe. More than safe. Useful. Khaelys clicked his steel dagger back into the sheathes in his sleeve. He approached the stranger.

"It seems odd to me that I should find a skaa out in the mists. You are not one of the mice who scurries around all day, and when sun sets, creeps back into his hole, are you?" Khaelys looked at the man. He was very tall: over a head taller than Khaelys. He had to admit, the man was an intimidating character. He cant be a working skaa. Ge must be in the underground Khaelys looked at the man in anticipation. Maybe going out into tonight had been a good idea after all.
user posted image

#6 Klyde

• Crewleader

Looking Good in Red
  • Age31

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:36 AM

Klyde rolled his eyes. He'd found another crazy. Surprise, surprise. Luthadel was crawling with the buggers.

"Look kid," he said. "We've established I don't want any trouble, and you don't want any trouble. So let's just go our separate ways, okay? If you need something to drink, head to the bar around the block. If you look like you'll drink all night, Garrin will give you the first drink free. If you need a woman, I'm sure you can find one. Heck, if you're looking for street spice, I know a place... just don't go looking for trouble, okay? Those other stuff, drink and women and the spice, they'll mess you up good. But trouble? Trouble kills. Which is why I'm getting out of here, and you should do the same."

#7 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

Khaelys studied the man for a moment. I can't let this guy get away. If he is[Ifrom the underground, he might be just what I need.[/I]

Khaelys' mind flashed back to memories of long ago. Of the day he should have died. Of the day he fled his past life. Of the day he joined the underground. Of the day when he did his first mission. Of the day he should have killed Lekal.

"Im sorry" Khaelys said with only the slightest bit of honesty. "But I might be in need of your service. I know you are in the underground. The way you carry yourself. The fact that you are out in the mists. The reason you chose not to take my money. So you are either a noble or a rebel, and by the look on your face, I can safely assume that the later is false. It all makes sense.

Now do I want to miss this opporitunity. No. No I do not." Khaelys looked at the expression on the mans face... It did not bode well. "Come on, let me buy you a drink"
user posted image

#8 Klyde

• Crewleader

Looking Good in Red
  • Age31

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:37 PM

Klyde sighed and stopped walking. The kid obviously wasn't taking the hint. He did offer a drink... Klyde could use a stiff one right then. His nerves were getting to him. I've got to find Delissia.... I'm coming undone with her. Though she had been a nosy pain-in-the-neck sometimes, and a preachy know-it-all others, Klyde knew he had come to depend on Delissia. There was no one else like her, and he needed her to help keep himself together. He was better when he was with her, and he was sick of feeling like he was at his worst. Unbidden, memories of another woman who had made him feel alive blossomed, but Klyde shook his head, clearing them before they could take root. That had been another time; another life.

Turning, Klyde looked at the kid again. Those cool grey eyes were certainly youthful, but there was a hardness to them as well. Whoever he was, the kid was a product of the underground already, and Klyde knew better than anyone how impossible it was to escape once you were in, and how difficult it was to survive without anyone to watch your back.

"Look kid. I don't know what I am any more. I do know I've made a lot of enemies. Someone might stick a knife in those scrawny little shoulder blades of yours just because someone sees you following me around. I'm a drunk layabout who can't rub two clips together without losing them at a game of Sheldry. My middle name is trouble with a capital 't', and hanging around with me isn't gonna give you any measure of security."

Klyde sighed, massaging his temples. That drink was seeming nicer by the moment. "I do, however, know something about robbing people. I've stolen a lot of junk from a lot of powerful people. People like your friends the Lekals. Stick with me, and you could end up stealing more money than you've seen in your life, but I'll warn you, we'll lose it all soon enough. Luthadel is a tough town, with a dangerous game. It can get addictive, with the thrill and the glory and the danger of it all. Sometimes it's better to quit while you're ahead, but most don't. There's only one end for people like me, kid. And that's under an Inquisitor's axe."

Klyde looked at the sky, it was still light, and the mists had yet to thicken completely. "So there you have it, you know what you're getting into, so its your decision. Let me know what you think."

#9 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:29 AM

Khaelys threw back his head and laughed. "Well,, at least you're honest about it. But, you don't need to tell me what to expect. I know the risks. I know the dangers. But stealing? I don't think we are going deep enough. I want Lekal crippled. I want them dead."

Khaelys' heart began to beat fast. He always had loved making fresh plans. He looked at the man. Although the man stood proud out in the mists, up close, the man looked far more disheveled. The underground did that to you.

Khaelys looked up and down the alleyway. There appeared to be no one else. "Now, about that drink"
user posted image

#10 Klyde

• Crewleader

Looking Good in Red
  • Age31

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:42 AM

Klyde could see the eagerness in the kid's eyes, hear the vengeance in his voice. Yup, he thought, Definitely a crazy. This one obviously wasn't going to be dissuaded. Perhaps, it was a good thing. Now that he was back, perhaps it was time he started building a small crew. He didn't know how long it would take to find Delissia, and it might be useful to start feeling out the underground again. Klyde new the streets and alleys of Luthadel like the back of his hand, and, though he hadn't wanted to admit it, returning really had felt like coming home. The players and positions were different, but the board was still the same. He did offer a drink...

"All right kid. If you're crazy enough to face a future Inquisitor's axe head on, maybe you got what it takes. Let's go see Gerrin about that drink."

#11 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:54 AM

The walk to the Bar was very fast. Khaelys didn't know if it was genuinely close, or if he was too deep in thought to remember. He had thought about battle strategies, ways to break in, and the best ways to corner Lekal. However, constantly circling his head was the memory when he could have killed Lekal. Should have killed Lekal. But something had held him back. He shook that though from his head.

Then Khaelys had realized that he was already at the bar. His companion remained silent... What was his name?

"I apologize, but I don't think I heard you're name. Mine's Khaelys." He held out his hand and mustered up his best smile.
user posted image

#12 Klyde

• Crewleader

Looking Good in Red
  • Age31

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:42 AM

Klyde eyed Khaelys's outstretched hand carefully. He had seen how easily the boy had produced his knives before. Judging it safe, Klyde took to boys fingers between two of his own, and shook them back and forth twice before releasing them. The kid might think he was crazy, but this was an undergound, until Khaelys proved he was loyal, Klyde could only trust him as far as he could throw him.

"Klyde," he said curtly. "It's a pleasure... Khaelys. Now let's see about that drink, so we can talk business. I have thirst." Just one, Klyde thought. He didn't want to be drunk in a second meeting with the mist gremlin. He needed his wits about him with that one.

#13 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

Khaelys sat down at a table. He finally saw the man in a good light. While tall and strong-standing, he hadn't noticed what a mess the man was. His hair was an unruly mess, and his beard was grown out in bizarre angles.

"Klyde, I'm not sure if you know how much I want this done. Lekal killed my father. They killed my family. They killed my sister." Khaelys realized that he was talking as if the house was a beast which sought to kill everything he loved. Again.

"I've seen a lot of death. Ive caused a lot of it too. But now is the time that I might end all of my old grudges. But, I don't know where to start."

A server walked to their table. "Wine for me. Aaannnddd..."
user posted image

#14 Klyde

• Crewleader

Looking Good in Red
  • Age31

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

"I'll have whatever he's having," Klyde said. "Out of the same pitcher." He still did not know Khaelys well and would only trust him as much as he had to. Klyde waited until the server was gone to speak again. "All right kid. I'm going to tell you something, so listen up. It might just save your life someday. You want at these Lekals, yeah? Well be careful about broadcasting that too loudly. Luthadel is full of informers, and if people can predict your next target, they can predict your next move. They key to success is to keep everybody guessing. Secondly, these enemies of yours are members of a Great House, which means they've got a keep full of soldiers and allomancers on their side. Compared to that what have we got?"

Klyde jabbed his thumb towards Khaelys, then back at himself. "You're thinking too big. Look, I get it. These guys killed your family, and now you want revenge, yada, yada, yada. This is the final empire, and that sob sorry can be found everywhere. And do you know where that story ends? With your head floating in a bloody fountain. If you want to do this the right way, you've gotta play it smart. Think with your head, not with your heart, and all that sappy mumbo jumbo."

Klyde sighed, looking at the kid again. Did he know what he was getting into? He hadn't even found Delissia yet, and here he was preaching to a new acolyte, ready to induct him into 'The Church of Klyde'. There wasn't much difference between a couple of friends and a crew. Was he really ready to get back into the game?

"If I'm gonna help you kid, you need to promise me two things. One, you be patient. I've spoken with these guys at balls and slept with their daughters. I know the nobility. The thing you have to remember about the high nobility, is that, no matter what the situation, they will have access to more power, more skill, more intelligence than you will ever have. They have the resources to block anything we can even dream to throw at them ten times over. Which means, we can't just go charging in killing people. We've got to do this smart. Start small. If we're hasty, you know where that ends," Klyde drew his finger across his neck, "But if we're patient, well then, kid, we've got a chance."

Klyde held up two fingers. "That brings us to number two. I'm going to require you to trust me. Between me and you, I'm the crew leader, and you're the kid who wants to kill people. Trust my judgement, and who knows, you'll probably get to kill a lot of people, some of them might even be the people you want to kill, but I'm the one who makes that call. I'll try my best to make sure you get your dagger in the back of as many people who deserve it as possible, but if I say it's time to wait, or leave, or fall back, you have to listen. I'm not gonna go wasting my time with a liability, you hear me? I don't care if Lord Lekal himself walks right up to you, confesses to raping your mother and killing her, and then holds up his wrists to be slashed. Whatever the situation, you wait for my approval before sticking your knife in anyone. You got that?"

Klyde began to massage his temples. Where was that drink? "While you're at it, how about you tell me a bit about yourself. Special skills, experience, known enemies, that sort of thing. I like to know what I'm working with."

#15 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:44 AM

Where'd this guy come from? I thought we were gonna be slaying nobles, not getting a lecture. However, the man was right: Khaelys couldn't plunge right into the battle. He had to un-weave the enemy, not chop it to pieces. Khaelys could tell that this was going to be a long night. Where was that drink.

"Special Skills? You mean what can I do?" Khaelys waited for a response, but when he got none, he said "I'm good at knife fighting. I suppose... I can blend into a crowd fairly well. I can lie. Or can I? I can blackmail and steal. I've been in the underground for... 4 years now? Oh, and I can juggle." He waited for the man to laught. Again, no response. "Oh, and if you didn't figure this out earlier, I may be a little bit of a Steelpush as well." Khaelys ended this with his biggest of smiles.
user posted image

#16 Klyde

• Crewleader

Looking Good in Red
  • Age31

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:43 PM

An allomancer... interesting. And confident in his abilities too. Klyde would have to watch out for that. Skaa allomancers were dangerous, both to those around them, and to themselves. On the flip side, they could also be incredibly useful. A coinshot could come in handy in all sorts of situations.

"Juggling huh? That's cute kid." Klyde did his best to seem unimpressed, though Khaelys was obviously skilled for a boy his age. He didn't want to inflate the kid's confidence. The cocky were careless, and the careless quickly became corpses in the underground.

"As for the other thing... I won't deny it's a gift. But don't let it make you think you're some sort of super-soldier, okay? A great house like Lekal has dozens of allomancers, most likely a mistborn among them. And until proven otherwise, you've got to assume every one of them is stronger and better trained than you are. Never underestimate your opponent, and your only surprises will be pleasant."

The drinks arrived, and Klyde quickly poured himself a glass. Just one... to take the edge off. "So here's the deal. I have a meeting with an informant tonight. If you want to come along, you're welcome to, but you have to follow my lead. This dame, she's a tricky one. Mangier than an alley cat and pricklier than a mist-wraith full of porcupines. She's one little lady you do not want to cross, even accidentally. She's nuts, absolutely and completely. Thing is, I need info from her, so I've got to play her game." Klyde took another swig. "So kid, I've told you what's what. You in?"

#17 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:55 AM

"Would I be here if I wasnt?" This man was definitely into dramatics, almost as much as Khaelys.

The more and more he looked at this man the more he reminded him of his father. Of course, his father would have been far older. Would have been. And then Khaelys was off. Memories of the past flooded over him. His discovery of Allomancy. His father's teachings in both cane fighting and how to get metals from nobles. Then he realized that Klyde was still talking. Damn it all Khaelys! What is he talking about?

"About this woman. Tell me about her. Who is she? What should I know about her?"
user posted image

#18 Klyde

• Crewleader

Looking Good in Red
  • Age31

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:39 AM

Klyde hesitated, taking another swig. "I'm not sure if I'd call her a 'woman' per say. Even 'dame' is quite a stretch. She really more of a... well... a sort of..." Klyde trailed off, at a loss for words. How did one describe the mist-gremlin? "She's her own type of person, let's just say that. Women like to flirt and are fun to kiss. This informant of mine likes to skewer rats with knives." Klyde didn't remember much about his encounter with Cassi, he had been very intoxicated, but as he puzzled over what had happened, that memory came back to him more often than not.

"Until that meeting, I suppose we've got some time to kill. Not sure what else I can tell you about her. Just don't mess with her. She's crazier than an Inquisitor on the spice, and probably almost as dangerous. We go in, and we play it cool. Once I have the info I need, we get out, and then we can plan our next move."

#19 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:04 PM

He speaks of her as though we have something in common. However, Klyde was probably right. Khaelys' most known attribute hadn't been his sanity, it was probably his least. But, if people thought you were insane, they would underestimate you. And that befit Khaelys well.

"This informat. What information is she giving you. Why her, and not one of the hundreds of other, perhaps, more sane informants in Luthadel.?"
user posted image

#20 Klyde

• Crewleader

Looking Good in Red
  • Age31

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:28 PM

"Lord Ruler kid, do you think I knew what she was like before I met with her? The truth is, I got her name from a drinking buddy. He said she's one of the best. Thing is, he didn't mention she was completely bonkers." Klyde scrubbed his fingers through his hair, and took another drink. "But, once I went to see her, I was kind of stuck, see. Visit too many informants, and your plans are bound to get into the wrong people's hands. Every time you visit when of those sneaky little bastards, you give them something they can sell someone else. Once I'd made contact with little Cassi, there wasn't much point in seeking elsewhere. Right now she has the information I need."

Klyde paused again. How did he explain to this kid about Delissia? "Let's just say there's a person I'm looking for. A potential crew member. She's the best there is at blending into a crowd of snobby nobles. If you want to find out anything that's going on among the Luthadel higher ups, we'll need someone like her." Klyde leaned forward. He had been talking softly, but this especially he didn't want anyone else to hear. "You see, kid, the last time we parted ways... well... Let's just say it wasn't under the best circumstances. Thing is, she's so good at playing the lady, I've been having trouble tracking her down. Blends in a little too well, if you know what I mean."

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users