The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Mistings

W2 D1 NT Aaron Elariel Lucille Deveaux

34 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:54 PM

Aaron lay in bed, staring at nothing. His room was entirely dark, and seemed almost unnaturally silent. Perhaps it was because his whole day had been filled with noise. His body still ached from his intensive training session with Viridian, and his head ached from the rest of his day, spent listening to lectures from his father and uncle, the condolences of various members of the family, and trying to puzzle out exactly what everyone was trying to get from him. Up until now, he'd lived in Daerra's shadow, at least politically, and had been happy to let her deal with the constantly shifting factions within Keep Elariel. Now, however, he was an important person in his own right, and just when he needed his sister the most, he couldn't bring himself to go to her for help.

Part of Aaron longed to sneak out his window. It only took a few short iron-pulls to get to Daerra's room. She'd still be awake, making some plot or planning some sort of scam. He could tell her of the many frustrations that came with being the new heir, and she would tell him how to deal with them, or even more likely, deal with them herself.

The other part of him remembered the coldness in her voice when she spoke of removing Mikhail, and the dangerous cunning and utter lack of compassion as she had displayed in her manipulation of Phyra, Marisha, and Aaron himself. She's dangerous he reminded himself. I can't trust her anymore. It hurt knowing that. Daerra had always been his confidante and his best friend. All his life she had been there to protect and look out for him. And he had been there to look out for her too. She doesn't need me he reminded himself. Daerra seemed to be doing just fine at getting what she wanted on her own. It was time he learned to stand on his own two feet.

Still, one day in, and the pressures of his new position made Aaron want to scream. He was overwhelmed by his father and uncle constantly pushing him, each one trying to subtly convince him to turn against the other. He was tired of everyone treating him differently, and trying to gain his good graces. On top of everything, he still didn't know how he felt about Marisha, or why he couldn't seem to let her go. Aaron needed to talk to someone; someone who wasn't using him, or trying to gain his favor. He needed someone who would speak to him plainly, so he could figure out what he was doing with his life. Up until now, he had always depended on Daerra. His other friendships were more shallow, more about having fun and enjoying eachother's company than solving eachother's problems. Who was there for him to go to?

What about... As soon as the idea entered his head, Aaron sat up, and downed the vial of iron that was waiting at his bed side table. He didn't bother getting a light, that would only alert whoever was guarding him that he wasn't sleeping. He didn't want Viridian following him, or convincing him not to go. Lord Ruler, I don't want to convince myself not to go. He pushed the thoughts aside, not wanting to talk himself out of what he planned to do.

He didn't need a light anyway, he used his iron lines to see. He knew his room well, and using the metal objects and furniture in it as landmarks, he found everything he needed. He dressed swiftly and silently, taking care as he removed his glass daggers, and belt of thieves' tools from their hiding place and buckled them around his waist. Lastly, he reached under the bed and removed his mistcloak. Daerra had arranged for it to be made for him. "As a lone nobleman flying around Luthadel, you'll look suspicious, but people leave Mistborn alone. Without it, you'll stand out, but with this cloak, in the mists, you'll be invisible in more way than one." It was one of his most precious possessions, proof that, even though he wasn't a Mistborn, he still was something.

With care, he settled the cloak about his shoulders, and quietly opened his window. He climbed out onto the ledge, and shut it behind him, taking care to fix the latch so he would be able to get back in. Then, with a deep breath, he leaped off of the side of the keep.

He was floating upstream in a river of mist. All the malice he had felt in his dreams was gone. The mists weren't coiling around him or trapping him, they were welcoming him home as they responded to his allomancy. Streaking through the air, with the wind whistling in his ears, falling towards certain doom, for the first time since the Casuana ball, Aaron Elariel felt like he knew what he was doing.

Suddenly the ground appeared below him. Reacting quickly, Aaron sought out two anchors and pulled. One, a window latch higher up on the keep, halted his downward momentum, and began pulling him back up into the air. His second anchor was one of the metal spikes that topped Keep Elariel's outer wall, and it prevented him from being pulled back the way he came. Regulating the strength of his anchors carefully, Aaron swung towards the wall, suspended in the air by the force of his two pulls.

He landed against the wall feet first, and caught the lip with both hands. Not wasting any time, he pulled himself over before the guards his uncle had circling the perimeter thought to look up. Then, pulling on the metal on the roof of a nearby building, Aaron launched himself into the night.

He used his iron-lines like ropes, regulating the strength and angle of his pulls so he swung in graceful arcs instead of hurtling right towards his anchors. Anyone who knew anything about steel pushing would be able to tell the difference between his mode of travel and that of a real mistborn (his way took more concentration and was quite a bit slower, and his arcs were inverted, sinking towards the ground between pulls instead of rising away from it between pushes), but with the hood of his mistcloak up and the tassels streaming behind him, he thought he made a rather convincing imitation. As he flew, he missed the feel of the wind streaming through his long hair, but he quickly forced himself to forget the feeling, not wanting to mar the otherwise perfect moment.

Lacking the security of being able to create his own anchors by dropping coins, Aaron had several close calls along the way, and when he reached his destination, he had more than a few new scrapes and bruises, but he was also a great deal happier.

Ahead of him, Keep Deveaux shone in the misty night. Swinging from roof to roof and hiding in the shadows when necessary, Aaron made a quick circuit of the perimeter. Keep Deveaux was massive, and undoubtedly far better guarded the the manors and estates he and Daerra usually broke into. I should have Martin with me he remembered too late. For all he knew, the Deveaux might have a mistborn waiting in the night, watching with bronze for any stray pulses of allomancy. He shook his head and kept going. Daerra was Martin's employer, not Aaron. If he gave up Daerra, he would have to lost the stinky little dwarf as well.

Finally, he made his way over the Deveaux outer wall. Flaring Iron, he found a faint Iron Line pointing high up on the keep. Taking a deep breath, he pulled as hard as he could, and went streaking up into the air. The line began to wobble. Uh oh. It would seem he had pulled on something that was unable to support his wieght, like a window latch that wasn't closed. Before whatever it was could break, off, he found another, more stable iron line, and hurtled towards the keep. As he neared the walls, he stopped switched anchors and pulled on two separate window frames for jsut a moment. With a jolt, he was simultaneous pulled in two seperate directions, and his forward momentum slowed, allowing him to gracefully catch hold of the keep wall and land for a moment.

Now to find her room.... Aaron felt a sinking feeling in his stomach as he came to the realization he had absolutely no idea where Lucille's room was located. Idiot... way to think ahead. Daerra had always been in charge of finding blue prints and making plans. What am I going to do now?

Making sure he hadn't been detected, Aaron picked an anchor, and began streaking away from the keep. As he flew, he twisted in the air, taking on last look.

And he saw her.

There, sitting by here window, reading, illuminated from behind. Frantically, Aaron released his anchor, and searched for another. Right as he was about to hit the ground, he found one near Lucille's window, and began hurtling towards it. His stomach lurched in his belly at the sudden change of direction, and from the way his neck moved he knew he would be suffering from whip lash when he landed. As he got closer, he began adjusting his flight with other anchors, eventually landing crouched just outside the window.

"Can I come in?" he asked, knocking.

#2 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:19 PM

Luci, having spent the day getting her room back in order after the workmen replaced her broken window, was glad to finally have a moment to breathe. And, of course, to write in her journal. She hadn't even changed into her nightgown; she was too busy relating the tale of Phyra's assault on Keep Deveaux to the waiting pages.

I had given up on trying to wash the smoke out of my hair, she wrote, and I was just about to get ready for bed when suddenly there was a loud CRA____

Knock knock. "Can I come in?"

Luci's head jerked up, and she was greeted with the sight of a Mistborn - another one - perched outside her window. Panic gripped her. She was under attack again! She shrieked, throwing herself backwards out of her chair and hoisting her skirts up on one side to draw her obsidian garter knife.

She was no Mistborn, but she wouldn't go down without a fight. She would hold him off, somehow, until Damien or Camille came.

Posted Image

#3 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:59 PM

My mistcloak! Aaron reminded himself too late. Of course Lucille would be frightened. He hadn't expected her to react so violently however. Was that a knife she was reaching for under her skirts? Quickly, Aaron burned iron and began fiddling with the window latch. He had to get in there and quiet her down before it was too late. Within moments, he had it, and the window swung open, just as Lucille brandished her knife.

"Lucille I..."

#4 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:07 PM

"No! Stay away!" Luci half-shouted, her voice quavering in fear. Damien, where are you? Please hurry!

She could at least stall for time, though. He wasn't attacking her yet, and she didn't plan on giving him the chance. As the window swung open under what could only be the force of a Steelpush, she caught it and slammed it shut again.

Posted Image

#5 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:11 PM

Aaron's words were cut off as Lucille rushed forward, slamming the window shut. As leaned back to avoid taking the glass and steel construction to the face, Aaron lost his balance, and found himself teetering on the edge of the window sill.

"It's Aaron..." he managed, before falling into the abyss.

#6 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:14 PM

Aaron? What? It couldn't be Aaron! ... Could it? The Mistborn who had attacked her just then had short hair, and Luci distinctly remembered Aaron's being long. But then, he hadn't rushed in at her like Phyra had, and he had knocked...

She had to know. Creeping cautiously to the window, Luci opened it and leaned over her desk to peek out. "Aaron...?"

Posted Image

#7 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:37 PM

Aaron was falling. The mists streaked passed him the night, twining around his body, responding to his allomancy. He remembered his nightmare, when the mists had pulled him down and held him. He had felt helpless, and for a moment he was paralyzed, unable to pull himself back up to the window. No, he told himself. I belong here, the mists are my friends. They hid him, protected him, responded to his allomancy. The dream had been just that, a dream.

Reaching out, he found several anchors around Luci's window, and pulled, as he angled towards it, he carefully adjusted his flight in order to land directly on the window sill once again. There, he found Luci waiting for him, her look of fear replaced by one of concern. She heard me he realized, relieved. He had worried that he would have to try to convince her all over again.

"Sorry about that," he said, pulling back his hood. "May I come in?"

#8 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:52 PM

"Lord bloody ruler, Aaron!" Luci exhaled, trying to calm herself down. "Don't scare me like that! And yes, you can come in. In fact, you'd better hide." Her voice dropped to a whisper. "Quick! In there!" she told him, ushering him to her dressing-room. "And don't say anything! Don't even breathe if you can help it! Hurry!"

Posted Image

#9 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:33 AM

Aaron let Lucille usher him inside. What was going on now? "I'm sorry Lucille, I didn't mean to. I guess I didn't really think things through I..." suddenly, he realized Lucille was trying to force him into her dressing room. He felt his cheeks color slightly. "I guess I can manage that... what's going on exactly?"

#10 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:41 AM

"Shhh! No talking! No breathing!" Luci paused. "And no peeking!" With that, she shut the door, then went to the window to close that too.

"Lucille!" came Damien's voice from the door into her sitting-room. "Lucille, what's wrong? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," she said, setting her knife down and crossing the room to hug her favorite cousin. "I thought I saw something. And after Phyra..." she shivered.

"I know," Damien told her gently, returning her hug. "It's alright. You're safe. Do you want me to stay with you awhile?"

"Thank you, but I'll be alright. I want to finish writing in my journal, and I wouldn't want to keep you."

"If you're sure, then. Good night, Lucille."

"Good night, Damien."

After the door clicked behind him, Luci pressed her ear against it, burning tin to make absolutely sure the coast was clear. Only then did she go back, replace her knife in its sheath, and return to her dressing room to open the door.

"You can come out now," she said softly, "but keep your voice down. You didn't peek, did you?"

Posted Image

#11 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:48 AM

"Yes, I'm fine," said Aaron massaging his neck. His initial iron pull up to Lucille's window had been powerful, and his fears of whiplash were proving true. "I really I am sorry Lucille. I don't know what I was thinking. I really shouldn't have bothered you. I probably shouldn't have come at all." Lord Ruler, what had he been thinking? I wasn't thinking, that was the problem. That was always the problem with Aaron. If Damien had walked in a few moments sooner, Aaron could barely imagine the trouble it would have caused between Deveaux and Elariel.

"You know, what? This was a mistake. How about we just forget this happened, okay? I'll just leave now, and you can go back to your book, and we can forget this ever happened. I'll see you around... sometime. Sorry for scaring you. I'll go now."

#12 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:52 AM

"I didn't hide you in my dressing-room so I could throw you back out the window again," Luci said in a no-nonsense tone. "Never you mind about this" - she snapped the journal shut and slipped it into a desk drawer - "because you're here now, and it's too late to change that. So why don't you just sit down and tell me what's wrong, hm? It must be really important if you revealed yourself to me to come talk about it."

Posted Image

#13 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:04 AM

Revealed myself... Aaron stopped where he was. How could he be so stupid? Lucille was from a rival house, and he had just revealed his allomancy to her! When he had though of how easy it was to talk to Lucille at the ball, coming to visit her had seemed so simple. After all, he had visited Daerra this way numerous times. If he had used his brain and thought for just a moment before flying off into the mists on a whim... no use thinking about that. Now he had a situation to deal with.

"Lucille... you can't tell anyone. If anyone finds out I'm an allomancer it... it just won't be good. Look, you know me, Aaron the goof ball. I obviously didn't think this through. I think I've cause enough trouble for one night, so please, pretend this was all a dream, and we'll talk in the morning or something. Or not at all," as he thought of sharing his problems, they suddenly seemed petty. Sure, his life had grown harder, but was it any more difficult than many of the other high ranking nobles in Luthadel?

"Lord Ruler," he whispered. "I need to get out of here," and he turned once again for the window.

#14 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:09 AM

"You can get out of here when I say you can," Luci said simply, hopping up to sit on her desk, "or else you can pick me up and move me." She sighed. "I'm sorry I threw you out the window, Aaron. I just, Phyra broke in here last night, and ever since, I..." She trailed off and shook her head.

"Anyways, that's not important now. The damage is done. I know you're a Mistborn. If it helps, I'll tell you that I'm a Tineye. Except that's not really a secret, so it's not quite the same, I guess. But the point is, you can trust me, and you came here for a reason, and I'm listening now. Won't you please talk to me?"

Posted Image

#15 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:44 AM

Aaron squared his shoulders ready to push passed Lucille. He had to get back to the Keep before any more damage was done. For all he knew, someone might have discovered he was gone and had a search team assembled to look for him. I'll be gentle he thought, No need to hurt her. Just push lightly passed her and jump out the window... no harm done. As he stepped forward, he caught the look in Lucille's brown eyes. As always, they were alive with warmth and kindness, though now their was an undertone of concern. There was also something else, that he hadn't noticed at the ball. Determination. The blind refusal to budge, no matter what he did. Suddenly, Aaron remembered the graceful arc Aldwin Tekiel had made through the air as he flew over Lucille's shoulder and into the Casuana fountain.

"I..." Aaron started. Then, giving up, he sighed, letting his shoulders slouch and his posture relax. "I don't know what I'm doing Lucille. It's all... it's all just too much. With Mikhail gone... everything's changed, and I... I just feel so lost." Aaron shook his head wearily. "I thought that if I could find one person... just one person to talk to, things might work out. But now it seems I've just gone and made everything more complicated."

#16 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:57 AM

"Oh, Aaron, I'm so sorry. Here I've been pushing you around and hiding you in weird places and I didn't even think of..." She shook her head again. "Well, you've found me. And to be fair, I'm the one who threw you out of a window just now. I think that sort of complicates things too.

"So here we are, complicating things, which you didn't want, and talking, which you did want, but not really in this way I think. Let's start again, shall we?" She hopped up off the desk, but still stood in front of it so Aaron wouldn't get tempted to push past her and make an escape.

"What's wrong, Aaron? Let's talk."

Posted Image

#17 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:18 AM

Aaron sighed and sat down on the floor. "I don't know where to start. It's just all so... messed up. Everything with Marisha, and Mikhail, and Phyra... Lord Ruler, Phyra!" Aaron scrambled to his feet. "Lucille, I'm so sorry. If I'd have known... if I'd have even guessed..." Aaron took a deep breath calming himself. "I never meant for my actions to bring you harm, and I am so sorry they almost did. If she'd have hurt you, or Marisha, I don't think I could ever forgive myself." He fell silent for a moment. It was me too. Daerra might have made the plan, but he had gone along with it, and not asked questions when he should have.

"Everything's changed now. Hasn't it?"

#18 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:39 AM

"It's alright, Aaron. Some Mistborn came and threw her back out the window. The worst that happened is glass got everywhere, but it's already cleaned up. You couldn't have known what she was going to do, and honestly, I wouldn't want to give up our dance anyways. It's one of my favorite memories from my entire time in Luthadel so far."

Posted Image

#19 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

Aaron smiled despite himself. He knew Lucille would be able to cheer him up. "I enjoyed it as well," he said, warmth creeping back into his voice. "And I'm flattered to have been worth facing down a vengeful mistborn for." The mistborn who had rescued Lucille was likely the same Venture Mistborn who had delivered Phyra's head. Lord Ellsworth is lucky he was able to predict Phyra going rogue. If she hadn't made such a fuss, they might not have known it was too late, and would be making ammends with the Deveauxs as well as the Elariels.

"What am I going to do, Lucille? You saw how a botched things last night. It was a total disaster. But now, people are expecting me to the perfect heir. Mikhail trained his whole life knowing he would one day be Lord of Elariel. Now he hasn't even been dead a day, and people expect me to just take his place? It's more than I can handle." Aaron sighed, and gazed wistfully passed Lucille and out the window, where the mists were shifting invitingly. "It almost makes me want to just run away and escape it all. Leave the responsibilities to someone whose worthy of them."

#20 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:55 AM

Luci sighed. This... was a tricky situation. "I'm sorry you have to go through this, Aaron," she said softly. "Honestly, I can't blame you for wanting to run away." She gave a small, wry chuckle. "Do you want to know something? I ran away too. And I'm not nearly as important as a house heir. Tineyes are supposed to be spies, but I... I just couldn't do it. I'm about the most useless Allomancer you'll ever meet.

"It's not the same as what you're going through, of course," she added quickly, "but I guess I'm just trying to tell you that even if it's in a completely different way, I can kind of, even if it's just a little bit, understand why you want to run away too.

"I'm afraid I can't know what it's like to be the heir, though, and especially not to have it forced on you so suddenly. It's not right for them to suddenly expect you to be what they think of as perfect, or for you to turn into someone else. I know I can't do much about it, or anything really, but it's not. Mikhail was Mikhail, and you are you. Of course you're going to be different from him, and to the Pits with anyone who tries to tell you otherwise. And don't you forget that.

"Listen, Aaron. Sometimes worth isn't determined by what we've done in the past. Sometimes, it's determined by the choices we make when it really counts. You are kind, and pleasant, and far smarter than you give yourself credit for. You can do this. You can be your own kind of heir, and a good one, at the same time. And," she finished with a smile, "whether you turn into the worst heir the Empire has ever seen, or the greatest, or anywhere in between, remember that there are people who will still like you just the way you are."

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users