The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Mistings

W2 D1 NT Aaron Elariel Lucille Deveaux

34 replies to this topic

#21 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:04 PM

Aaron wasn't sure how convinced he was by Lucille's argument. It seemed a little too optimistic, especially considering they lived in the final empire. But, her optimism made him smile anyways. Mikhail's death seemed to have effected everyone in Keep Elariel. It was nice to talk to someone who wasn't mourning or angry or plotting.

I'm a part of that he realized. What was keeping him from being positive like Lucille? Sure, his life had grown harder, but if he wanted to improve the mood in Keep Elariel, he wasn't going to do it by moping around whining about his lot in life. I have an opportunity, he realized, the weight of his position finally settling in. I could be Lord one day. The responsibility, of course, was enormous. Aaron was more than a little worried he would lead his house to ruin. But, if he worked at it, perhaps Lucille was right. He could have a chance to change things, for the better.

The image of himself, surrounded by advisors, ruling Elariel swam before his eyes, but as it did, somehow he morphed into Mikhail. No he thought. I'll never be him. Mikhail never seemed to make a mistake, he always knew exactly how to act was utterly loyal to the Elariel his father had created. Surprisingly, Aaron found himself missing his cousin. He'd never been close to his cousin, Daerra had seen to that, but Mikhail was his family. He'd trained with him, dueled with him, mocked him, and learned from him. And now, he was gone. Killed by an unstable mistborn, and Daerra's ambition. How can she be so cold? He was our cousin. Aaron shook his head. He knew could never be Mikhail, but maybe there was a chance he could be better.

"I miss him," Aaron said quietly. "We weren't close. In fact, I always thought he was a bit of a snob, far from the perfect noble he pretended to be. But he was still my cousin, and I miss him. I feel now that I know some of what he was going through, perhaps we could have formed a real relationship, and I could have gotten him to come out from behind his mask of perfection. Did he ever feel the same why I do? How did he really feel about his father? Was he in love? I don't know. I never got the chance to find out who he really was, you know? And now I never will. He's dead, and now all he can ever be to me is Mikhail the heir. It wasn't Mikhail the heir who died though. It was Mikhail the man, and now he's gone forever."

#22 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:11 AM

"I... I'm sorry, Aaron," Luci said at last, speaking softly. She really wanted to reach out to hug him, but since that probably wasn't exactly appropriate, she reached out to rest a hand on his shoulder. That should be alright, shouldn't it? After all, they had had closer contact than this during their first dance, and she felt the need to offer some gesture beyond mere words. Somehow, though, she felt like saying anything else would cheapen her sympathy, so she remained silent.

Posted Image

#23 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:29 AM

Aaron looked up as Lucille placed her hand on his shoulder. How did she always know just what to say or do to make people feel better? Not knowing what else to say, Aaron sat in silence for a time, taking what comfort he could in Lucille's presence. However, thinking of her soon led him back to Marisha, and the look she had given him when he met her eyes in the gazebo.

"I never meant to hurt her. I mean, looking back it seems obvious what I was doing. I just... I just didn't think. Had I known or understood what I was doing I never would have..." Aaron shook his head, not knowing what to say or how to explain how he was feeling. "You don't understand, the way she looked at me, it was as if... as if I was some sort of monster. I'm not saying I didn't deserve it," he added quickly. "I understand now. I insulted her and put her life in danger. Phyra could have gone after her first, might have had she left the ball faster. If Phyra had killed her too, I don't think..." Aaron ran his fingers across his skull, feeling the hair that had been there the night before. "The way she looked at me Lucille, I'll don't think she'll ever forgive me."

#24 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

Lucille sighed, frantically searching her mind for something, anything to say that would comfort her friend. This wasn't the easiest thing in the world to talk about, especially for someone who normally kept out of the way of the ins and outs of court. But Aaron was her friend, and he was reaching out to her for help. He needed her right now, which meant uncomfortable or not, she had to help him as best she could.

"That... is a difficult thing to answer, Aaron," she managed at last. "On one hand, she trusted you, and then this happened. But on the other, you didn't know what you were doing. I don't claim to be the best judge of character in the world, but you've never given me any reason to believe you were being anything but genuine. If you say you didn't know, I believe you. And frankly," she added, "If my date spent all night alternating between Rioting lust and staring mutely at a chandelier, I'd probably go dance with someone else too." She removed her hand from his arm at last and rested it in her lap.

"Marisha has reason to be upset, I'll admit. She's probably feeling angry and betrayed and hurt. But the wound is still fresh. I know it seems like the end right now, but I think that might not be the case. I've spoken to Marisha before, and she struck me as a very intelligent, logical woman. I think after you've let her have some time to cool off a little, you'll have a chance to tell her the truth, and apologize. I can't promise it will fix everything, of course, but that doesn't mean you can't try, right?"

Posted Image

#25 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:25 PM

Aaron smiled with just the corners of his mouth. "Lucille... it's really not fair how you always know exactly what to say, and I'm stuck pulling my foot out of my mouth more often than not." Aaron sighed and moved away from Lucille, wrapping his arms in front of him protectively. "I'm sorry. I... I've presumed too much. I'm glad I came here, I really am, but I have no right to saddle you with my problems, even if you are willing to help me with them. It's not fair to you."

Aaron fell silent, considering carefully what to say next. Just this once he was not going to make a mess of things. He was Daerra's brother after all. Her twin. If she could be suave and composed, he could too. "I want you to know," he started carefully, staring self-consciously at his toes, "That, what you've said tonight means a lot to me. And if there's any way I can repay you, I will."

Aaron realized he was looking down and paused. What was wrong with him? He'd never had problems with nerves before. It's because I never cared about anything, he realized. Daerra and the mists had been the only things he'd ever really cared about. True, from time to time there had been to odd romance, but Aaron still hadn't found someone he was romantically interested in whose company could compare to the rush of flaring iron. As second in line, his responsibilities had been minimal and easily pawned off on more capable family members.

Now things were different. Now he mattered, and what he did was important. Now he had to care. Aaron lifted his gaze, meeting Lucille's as he did so. He tried his best to smile. His mother always said he had his father's confident handsome smile. Usually it came naturally, but now he couldn't help but feel awkward. "You've been a good friend to me Lucille, even though we've only just met. If you'll have me, I'd like to be your friend as well. If you ever need help, just let me know, and I'll do what I can to help you."

#26 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

Luci smiled brightly. "Thank you, Aaron." She couldn't help but feel bad for him; he looked so uncomfortable. But she supposed it wouldn't exactly be appropriate to hug him right now, so her best smile would have to do.

"And, of course I'm very happy to have you as a friend. But," she added with a smirk, "If you want to come see me again, I'd recommend using the door next time. I'm always happy to have friends over, but I'd really rather not accidentally throw you out the window again." Her expression turned sheepish. "I'm really sorry about that, by the way."

Posted Image

#27 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:16 PM

Aaron grinned more genuinely this time. "I''ll keep that in mind." His eyes strayed back to the aforementioned window. He'd stayed to long. By now, someone could have noticed he was gone. If he didn't get back soon, who knew what kind of trouble would ensue? Elariel had already lost one hier that week, and everyone in the keep was on edge. If they thought Aaron had been killed or kidnapped, it wouldn't take long for things to get out of hand. Not for the first time that night, Aaron realized how little he had thought this misadventure through. He was important now. Things couldn't be the same as they were. He had to accept that, or he would only make things worse.

He also realized how tired he was from his busy day. Likely Viridian would have another training session for him tomorrow. If he didn't get some sleep, he would be in trouble. "I really should be getting back, before someone notices I'm missing. A little sleep wouldn't hurt either. As for the window, don't worry about it. I've come back from falling out of worse places," he gave her a casual wink, and headed for the window.

"Just so you know," he said, turning back, "I don't usually do things like this. I don't really know what I was thinking."

#28 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:55 AM

Luci just shrugged, grinning a little. "There's no harm done, I guess," she said, "so I think it's alright. You Mistborn tend to think differently from the rest of us anyways, so I guess there's no point worrying about it. Just try to stay safe, hm?"

Posted Image

#29 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:22 AM

Aaron's hands went to the hood of the mistcloak, just then remembering it was there. She thought he was a mistborn! Of course she thought he was a mistborn. He'd flown up to her window wearing a mist cloak. Now that he thought of it, he was pretty sure she had mentioned it before, when she told him she was a tineye. He'd just been too wrapped up in his own troubles to notice.

"Lucille... I..." Aaron paused. He'd already given away so much, could his house afford to give away more? Perhaps it was better if Lucille thought he was a mistborn. That would make Elariel seem strong, and make people hesitant to attack. True, she had promised not to tell anyone, but that didn't mean Aaron's secret was safe. For all he knew, the Deveauxs could have other tin-eyes listening at the doors.

"I..." he was about to say thank-you again and head out the door. He was stopped by the memory of Lucille's face hardening as their dance came to an end. Then he had made the mistake of thinking about things too much, thinking like Daerra, and it had nearly cost him his friendship with Lucille. Lucille had never given him any reason to doubt her competence, loyalty, or compassion. Aside from family loyalty, he realized he had every reason to trust her and no reason not to.

"I'm not a Mistborn," he heard himself say quietly. "The cloak is just for show. I'm just a lurcher, but since I use iron to get around the city. A lone nobleman whizzing around in the air would look suspicious though, so Da... I managed to get my hands on a cloak." For some reason, he still wouldn't let himself betray Daerra, even to Lucille and in such a minor way. He could still feel her tendrils wrapping around him, trapping him with her secrets. For a moment, his dream came back to haunt him, and again he feels the mists grasping his body and holding him in place.

Even after everythings she's done... I still can't totally cut myself off from her, he realized. She was still his twin, his sister, his other half. Daerra can handle her own business, he told himself. From now on he'd just be sure to keep his nose out of it entirely.

Taking the cloak in both hands, Aaron gave it a flourish. "Besides, it looks rather dashing on me, does it not?"

#30 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:00 AM

Lucille folded her arms. "Fishing for compliments, Lord Aaron?" she asked in her very best haughty tone despite the amused grin that was covering her face. "For shame. I would have thought you would know better than to attempt such an underhanded scheme."

Posted Image

#31 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:18 AM

Aaron smiled, glad that the conversation was moving on to safer ground. "I'm afraid I have no choice Lady Lucille. Like fish, I can have my compliments dismembered by my servants and served any way I like them, but the most satisfying ones are those I can catch myself." Just like that, Lucille had done it again. His sour mood was no match for her light-hearted banter. Things seemed so much simpler having spoken to her than they had back at keep Elariel.

"As for being underhanded, as heir to House Elariel, I'm afraid I have no choice. If I'm ever going to stand a chance at competing with the other Lords of the Great Houses, I'm going to need all the tricks and schemes I can think up."

#32 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:41 AM

Lucille arched an eyebrow in the very best scandalized expression she could manage. "Why, Lord Aaron!" she gasped in mock horror. "I never would have dreamed such a thing of you! And here I let you in my dressing room! Okay, well, actually I pushed you in there... But still! Why, I think I might faint from it all, and then you'll have to live with that on your conscience. How very ungentlemanly of you."

Posted Image

#33 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:18 AM

Aaron chuckled at Lucille's feigned indignation. Lord Ruler, did it ever feel good to laugh! Finally, all his stress seemed to melt away, and his posture relaxed fully. Seeing her there, with that arched eyebrow and ridiculous expression was almost to much for him, and his chuckle soon turned into a giggle, which slowly developed into a full blown laugh. He tried to hold it in and compose himself, but as soon as he did, he'd meet Luci's eyes and it started all over again.

The next time he looked, Aaron realized Luci was laughing too. How had he missed that before? That only made things worse. Every time one of them seemed close to gaining control, one look from the other was all it took to start things up again. Aarons was laughing so hard that his abs, already sore from his iron pulling, began to ache. Still he couldn't stop. And for some reason, even though he knew he must look ridiculous, he didn't want to. In that moment, he felt like he could spend the rest of his life like this, just laughing, and be perfectly content.

Finally it ended. Aaron panted heavily as he caught his breath. When was the last time he'd laughed like that? He'd always prided himself on his sense of humor, and was always happy to share or hear a good joke, but the most he got out of most social encounters were quick chuckles, or a polite guffaw. Thinking back, he wasn't sure if he'd laughed so hard since he was a child.

Looking back up at Lucille, he couldn't help but blush slightly. Even though he knew he had nothing to worry about, it was still embarrassing as a grown man to be caught laughing uncontrollably. Luckily this time, the giggles did not return. Sheepishly, he searched for something to say, but couldn't find any words that could satisfactorily follow the moment they had just shared.

"Well," he said with a shrug, "I guess I should be going then."

#34 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:39 AM

"I guess," Luci sighed, wiping a tear from her eye. She hadn't laughed that hard since she'd left Urteau, and her sides hurt from it. "For one thing, someone probably heard you. Be careful when you leave; I can't imagine how you made it in here in the first place."

She finally moved aside to let him reach the window, but a sudden thought occurred to her before he was able to make it out.

"Oh! My friends from Urteau will want to have a book club meeting soon. I'd love it if you could join us," she asked with a bright smile.

Posted Image

#35 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:48 AM

Aaron nodded. He was lucky some guard or relative wasn't bursting into the room right then. Once more he turned to the window, and once again he stopped when Lucille had something to add.

"I'd love to join," he said simply. All his worries and stress seemed to have vanished. It didn't matter that his schedule was more full than it had ever been. If it meant a chance to be around people like Lucille and be happy, he would be there. If his uncle, or father, or Viridian Demesne had objections, he'd make them tie him up in the keep before he missed it.

With a little wave, a polite bow, and a quick wink, Aaron opened the window and dove out into the mists. This time he felt no malice in the way they twined around him. Now, he was where he belonged, both physically and mentally. Coming to the realization, he let out a sigh of relief.

This, he thought, beaming, Is freedom. He was so pleased with himself he almost crashed head first into the ground.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users