The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
» Forum Rules
» The Story Thus Far
» Character Application
» Frequently Asked Questions
» Character System Guide
» Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
» The Three Metallic Arts
» Guide to the Final Empire
» Map of Luthadel
» The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
» Introduce Yourself
» Universal Continuity Thread
» The Timeline
» Adoptable Characters
» Wanted Characters
» Face Registry
» Open Threads List

Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Trouble

15 replies to this topic

#1 Gervais Lekal

• A monkey's uncle

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age36

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:20 AM

For his few hours in the library, closed away with his paper-and-ink friends, the thirteen year old Gervais had forgotten everything else. The slight rush of euphoria from his discoveries lingered as he left the building. He was brought back out of his other world, however, as ahead of him he saw several boys, some his own age and some a little older, emerge from a side-alley to block the street he was passing through. He knew them, of course; they had a tendency to try to cause trouble for anyone who was not part of their little gang. They had expectant looks on their faces.

He might have chosen to try going the other way, but Gervais refused to be frightened into retreat. He continued straight ahead, his head lifted slightly in arrogant scorn, to walk straight through the boys. Only they formed into a line, standing shoulder-to-shoulder, and he could not have moved past them easily. He stopped, and the line flowed into a circle around him, closing out any avenue of escape.

The biggest boy, a tall, heavy-shouldered blonde boy of about fifteen, dropped one hand onto Gervais' shoulder in a falsely companionable sort of way. “Don’t touch me.” Gervais spat the words, dripping with contempt, at Feddar, and wrenched himself away. He was nearly shaking with fury, and tried to hold himself in, tried not to let them see how it had affected him. The boys closed in a little further, forcing him to stop his withdrawal, and Feddar snickered.

There were too many of them for Gervais to handle on his own. He could have taken down Feddar or any of his cronies, but it was nine-to-one odds against him. He was conscious of both the weight of the dueling cane at his side, and of the steel in him, and that he could not use it. He could not give himself away. That secret was more valuable than anything else.

Sensing an opportunity, Feddar snatched the book out of Gervais' hand and took a leisurely look at it. "What’s this? The Secret Life of Birds?" There was a chorus of snickers from the other boys, and Feddar paged through the book, grinning hugely. "The bluetit – " more laughter – "shows a remarkable ability to improvise new foraging behaviors, and culturally transmit these to other species of Tit." Feddar closed the book with a snap and smirked at Gervais. "Is this your idea of a dirty book or something?"

Gervais' hands clenched into fists, and his eyes flashed murder at Feddar.

"Give that back. Now," he ordered, icily.

Feddar acted as if he were going to give it back, then casually threw it to the side; a page fluttered loose from the binding, floating through the air with a flash of red-and-gold illustration, as the book landed with a wet thump in a pile of horse dung. "Go and get it," he snickered at Gervais.

That was when Gervais exploded. He did not care anymore about logic, or being outnumbered, or any other considerations. He simply wanted to see Feddar hurt. Gervais would make him bleed, he would make him crawl and beg forgiveness and mercy, and then Gervais would hurt him again and again until Feddar was broken.

The dueling cane leapt into his hand, and snapped out for Feddar's head. The older boy reeled, stumbling backwards, and Gervais turned on the others with a snarl as they scrambled to react. One more was sent down with a boot solidly planted in his midsection, and then a cane fell across Gervais' back with stunning force.

#2 Magnus Venture

• Captain of the Venture Guard

Tineye
  • Age45

• Relationship StatusMarried

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:46 AM

Magnus had been on a walk. It was semi-pleasant...and at least he was away from his family's keep. Being in the shadow of Ellsworth with nothing going in his life made Magnus grumpy... not that he hadn't been before. He walked along, kicking up ash under his feet. He made sure that he was alone every time he went out. He didn't need body guards -- he was the body guard. He spent many of his days training as hard as he could with other Pewterarms, so he would be on even playing fields. He needed the edge if he was ever to prove the idiot guard captain was incompetent. The guy was a Coinshot. That was the only thing that worried him. That and never figuring out what would humiliate him more than anything else. Magnus needed to know how he could challenge the man to a duel without it seeming planned.

He stumbled upon Feddar and a few others trying to hurt someone. Thankfully Magnus had never been bullied. This didn't mean he didn't feel bad for the kid...whoever he was. He got closer and noticed a familiar face being hit.

Magnus stopped for a moment. The kid had been spending the last few weeks trying to annoy Magnus to death. Gervais Lekal was not on Magnus' good list at the moment. Except... Something in Magnus made him approach Feddar and the rest. Magnus burned pewter, feeling a familiar sensation of a fire being lit inside him. He felt more coordinated and faster. Magnus felt like he could take on the world when he burned metals.

As the dueling cane came down a second time to strike Gervais, Magnus reached a pewter fueled hand toward it. The cane cracked on his arm. Magnus managed to get a hold of it, and yanked it out of Feddar's hands. Pewter let him ignore pain he would generally feel... and that would be a painful bruise.

"Pick on some skaa," Magnus said, chucking the dueling cane far from the group. "You'd probably even win that fight." he said sternly.

The group of boys fled. Magnus didn't think his intervention would have to be much, but tossing the dueling cane seemed to do the trick. He turned around to Gervais.

"What did you do? Tell them that their mothers belonged in the brothels?" he asked, lightheartedly.

Edited by Moru, 31 December 2012 - 02:56 AM.

#3 Gervais Lekal

• A monkey's uncle

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age36

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:04 AM

Gervais had stumbled when the pain burst across his back and his side; he broke his fall with one hand, but someone kicked out to strike him in the head and he was knocked to the side with his ears ringing. Time slowed as he watched a partially recovered Feddar bring the dueling-cane down towards his head. He could see it moving gradually downwards, but his body would not respond quickly enough, and he knew that it would strike him, and then they would keep on beating him, and he would get them all for this - he would hunt them down -

Someone stopped it. He heard a crack as the cane bounced off the black-clad arm that was thrust in the way, and then time snapped back into focus as Magnus Venture caught hold of the cane and wrenched it out of Feddar's grip, throwing it casually to the side. Gervais was already rising to his feet, refusing to lie there like something helpless, and ready to turn on the other boys again - but they were scattering, running off in all directions like so many roaches disappearing down their holes.

He was standing up when Magnus turned to him, though it was a little stiff, and he could feel blood running down his face where someone had kicked him and split the skin. His anger was not gone; it simply had no target left, not right now, and so it festered into a slow, burning sensation. Somewhere beside it was shock.

Magnus had stepped in to help him?

The stupid man hung around the library, reading books on old military strategy as if he thought he was some kind of general. Gervais never missed an opportunity to harass him, when they were both there at the same time. Magnus never ignored him; Gervais could always get a reaction out of him, and if anything, the man spoke to him...as if it made no difference that Gervais was younger. Almost as if they were equals. No one had ever spoken to him like that. He would never admit that he liked being around Magnus, that he relished every conversation they had.

It infuriated him to have appeared weak in front of Magnus. "They do belong in the brothels," he spat. "The whoresons didn't know who they were dealing with." Gervais swiped a runnel of the blood away from his eye. "I'll find every last one of them." I was not afraid of them. I'm not a victim. Don't pity me. Don't you dare pity me. He stared a challenge at Magnus.

#4 Magnus Venture

Tineye
  • Age45

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:00 PM

Magnus raised an eyebrow at Gervais. The kid definitely had something about him that made Magnus care. It wasn't that he felt like he had much in common with the younger boy, it was more that he felt the need to protect him from what could harm him. The only way to do that was to teach him to take care of himself. Magnus had a feeling he wouldn't be around much in this kid's future. He would have his own duties.

"Yes, but it won't be you who puts them there, Gervais -- not with fighting skills like those." he said, smirking. He looked at the kid who annoyed him most of the time, but that's not who he saw. He saw a kid who needed self-defense training...and Magnus was going to give it to him, whether he wanted it or not.

"And once you find them, you can get the rest of the beating I prvented." he said chuckling.

He paused, looking at Gervais feeling very excited at the prospect of teaching someone. "Unless you want me to teach you what I know about fighting."

#5 Gervais Lekal

• A monkey's uncle

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age36

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:23 AM

The man raised an eyebrow and smirked at Gervais, casually dismissing the idea that Gervais could handle himself. Then he outright laughed, and Gervais' hands clenched tightly into fists. Magnus thought he couldn't do it. He thought Gervais was weak. He didn't know. None of them knew. His hand dipped into his pocket, touching the coins there. If Magnus laughed at him, it didn't even matter. Yes, it did, some part of him whispered, but Gervais silenced that voice.

He stood there, burning with anger, as Magnus went on...and then threw Gervais for a loop again.

"Teach me?" Gervais echoed. Magnus Venture was a Pewterarm; everyone knew that. He couldn't teach Gervais about his metal, but any Pewterarm's physical skills were honed to the highest degree. There would be few men in Luthadel who could go toe-to-toe with Magnus in a duel and walk away again.

"You'd want to teach me." Heavy distrust coloured Gervais' tone now. Perhaps Magnus thought it would be funny to amuse himself a little more. This whole intervention might have just been entertaining for the man. "Of course I want to learn." His voice was still suspicious.

#6 Magnus Venture

Tineye
  • Age45

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:13 AM

Magnus shrugged his shoulders, wondering if he really should teach this kid how to fight. What if he went off and really did kill someone? That would be terrible... unless they deserved it. He looked at Gervais. "Well, only if you promise to stop annoying me when I'm trying to study my maps," he said, smirking.

The young Pewterarm had yet to be jaded by the world. He was sure that he was the best fighter, and nothing could ever go wrong with his life. He was going to be the best...especially the best guard captain the Ventures had ever seen.

He looked around. "Where were you headed before they attacked you?" he asked. "We could find a place that I can start teaching you basic moves... Perhaps it would be better at one of the Keeps... rather than out in the open." he said. His excitement for sharing his knowledge of fighting was almost overpowering.

"When we're done, you'll be able to stand and fight any pewterarm with no fear. Thugs may have the strength on the upper hand, but strength is nothing without skill. Promise."

#7 Gervais Lekal

• A monkey's uncle

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age36

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:42 AM

"You're looking at the wrong maps," Gervais said, his arms crossing in front of himself as he lifted his chin. "Karajan drew the battle of Belinsk completely wrong. You should look in Leroux, instead," he informed Magnus scornfully. Karajan wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. He hadn't done his research, he'd written his book from hundreds of miles away. Leroux had been there.

Despite the proud cant to his head, there was a light of eager interest in Gervais' eyes. Magnus would teach him how to fight Pewterarms? If he could really do that, Gervais would be able to fight any man, short of a Mistborn. He already knew how he might deal with a Coinshot or a Lurcher; he had thought about it many times, gone over scenarios in his head. He'd never had the chance to try himself against someone else, but Gervais was slowly mastering his metal.

And he realized a sudden ambition. He would learn from Magnus, and then he would take Magnus down to test himself.

"We could go to one of the dueling-grounds," he suggested. He was not going to go with Magnus to Keep Lekal. Magnus was not going to see how they despised him.

#8 Magnus Venture

Tineye
  • Age45

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:32 AM

Magnus shrugged his shoulders. His Allomancy was well-known, so the fact that he would be training, and possibly using it in public didn't bother him. "Sounds much better than having to go to my house. They might think it's weird that I'm teaching someone how to fight."

He started walking toward one of the dueling grounds. "Have you had any real self-defense training at all?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. It was odd that someone would spend so little time training when that was all Magnus made time for in his life.

#9 Gervais Lekal

• A monkey's uncle

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age36

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:26 AM

Gervais bridled at this; he was not that weak or incompetent. He had been surrounded by eight older boys, and he was not a Pewterarm.

"Of course I have," he answered acidly, "I'm not an idiot. I learn what I can from the House fencing instructors." From the ones whose time he was allowed to take, at any rate. The best were reserved for the House guard and Hazekillers, and for Canler.

#10 Magnus Venture

Tineye
  • Age45

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

Magnus scoffed and shook his head as they walked. He didn't think much of fencing. No, that would go nowhere with helping anyone defend themselves against multiple foes in a non-duel arena. Magnus hadn't even practiced fencing in years. Although, Magnus wasn't trying to win all of the duels in the world , he was just trying to be a better fighter.

"Training just in a dueling skill doesnt mean you can fight. When I talk about fighting, I mean hand to hand combat. It has nothing to do with Allomancy or strength. It has everything to do with skill. When I'm done teaching you self defense, you will be able to fight off as many attackers as you like, and quickly. Well... That's the goal anyway." Magnus was determined to fight Gervais without using pewter. It was going to be a challenge, because even now, he burned the metal, because it gave him a sense of balance. It was almost like a drug to him. Magnus knew the dangers of becoming a pewter savant. It wasn't something he wanted. He extinguished his metal with that thought -- it was too scary to continue.

#11 Gervais Lekal

• A monkey's uncle

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age36

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:55 AM

There was a certain point where you were better off shutting up and learning. Gervais was aware that they were coming near that point, and that there wasn't much he could do to answer back to Magnus. Still, he hated hearing the man dismiss his abilities that casually, even if Gervais was obviously nowhere near the level of proficiency that Magnus had to be. Pewterarms had the highest degree of training.

If he stepped wrong, he could lose this opportunity - at least, if it was a real one. Why was Magnus doing this in the first place? Gervais was still heavily suspicious of his motivations. He couldn't let it go to waste out of anger though. It was a bitter pill to swallow, when he knew that it might all be for nothing. That at the end of this, Magnus might simply turn around and laugh him.

"If you can teach," he said coolly, "I can learn."

#12 Magnus Venture

Tineye
  • Age45

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

Magnus had been annoyed by Gervais for the past few weeks, but there was one thing he could say about the young man. He was eager. Magnus didn't pretend to understand things that Rioters and Soothers spent their lives studying about the Noble Condition. He didn't care what made people tick in a mental way, he just wanted to know where to hit them to make them weaker. That was what Magnus focused on the most... but there were certain obvious things that Magnus could pick up on when it came to young men. He knew that Gervais wanted to teach Feddar and his cronies what pain was. Magnus could help him do that. He just needed to think of the best way to go about training a non-Allomancer... a non-pewterarm. It would definitely be harder, but he'd manage, he hoped.

"All right," he said, pausing. He looked at Gervais. "You'll have to be patient with me. I've never trained anyone else... but I'm sure that I can do it..." He wondered if that might instill some kind of rebellion in Gervais. Magnus hadn't ever taught another person in fighting, but he had been taught...and he read so many books about strategy in both large and small groups. He shrugged. "It's not that I haven't had enough practice, just that I haven't had the opportunity."

He walked along, head held high. He was much more outgoing than he thought he was -- especially around Gervais. He generally tried not to react to the things Gervais said...but this time, he couldn't ignore a young man in need of help. They would reach the training grounds soon. Magnus tried to remember back to his first training session with his tutor when he was younger... What had the man said to him?

Magnus' memory for that time was not the greatest. It seemed he would have to make things up as he went.

Edited by Moru, 31 December 2012 - 02:57 AM.

#13 Gervais Lekal

• A monkey's uncle

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age36

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:43 AM

Was he actually asking Gervais to be patient with him? Gervais studied him like some strange animal, trying to figure out what he was actually trying to say. He couldn't find a hidden meaning, and it sounded like Magnus genuinely meant it; Gervais had heard plenty of lies and manipulation in his life, and this sounded different. Did it signal some kind of vulnerability? How could Gervais use it if it did?

He could take the offer as he was doing, that was how. He was starting to wonder, though, if Magnus was actually doing this for some personal reason instead of for amusement. Did he want to learn how to teach? But why choose Gervais?

Why are you helping me? If he asked, Magnus might walk away from this. Especially if there was any chance that he really had been letting an opening in his defenses show.

"You know what you know," he said finally. "Really, if I can't learn it from you, then I'm incompetent. And I'm not incompetent." It was a step away from what he had said before, but Gervais thought it was the right step now.

#14 Magnus Venture

Tineye
  • Age45

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:03 PM

Magnus threw Gervais a smirk. "Which is why I offered to teach you. I knew you were annoying, but I never thought incompetent. Quite the opposite, of course." He shrugged his shoulders and walked on.

He didn't have much else to say. He didn't want to let his apprehension show through too much. He was scared to have his first pupil.

Once they arrived at the dueling grounds, he put his things down and readied himself to train Gervais. He took off his overcoat, to allow his arms room to breathe. He had on a billowing shirt, and an ornately patterned vest. He hung his jacket, to keep it from getting any ash on it.

"Come let us begin," he said as he stood in front of Gervais. "First let's talk about the best way to stand. Make sure your knees aren't locked. It's far too easy for someone to apply pressure on the front of your knee and break it. Even a non-pewterarm could break it with very little effort on their part."

#15 Gervais Lekal

• A monkey's uncle

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age36

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:57 AM

There was complete silence as they walked on; during which Gervais tried to decipher the statement Magnus had made. He had offered to teach Gervais because he thought he was competent. Magnus Venture thought he was competent. He was still waiting for the punchline of the joke to fall, but there was nothing.

Magnus obviously didn’t feel the need for conversation at the moment, which gave Gervais plenty of opportunity to think about it. Magnus had never talked to him as if he was a child. Not once. And now this…no one had ever said anything like that to Gervais. No one. And Magnus Venture was the best of the best; he wasn’t some idiot who waved a sword and pretended he knew something. Gervais couldn’t figure out why he would say it; he couldn’t see any reason. Was it really true?

There was no chance Gervais was going to let him know what that offhanded comment meant. But a sudden glow of pride came up in his chest. Magnus would see that Gervais was more than worth it. He could push himself beyond what the man expected; he could earn his respect. Gervais had no idea how his own expression had shifted; there was now a different light in his eyes when he watched Magnus, mingled admiration and determination.

Once they had arrived, Gervais shrugged out of his own coat and hung it neatly up next to Magnus’s, then followed him out into the middle of the arena. He stood there just slightly crouched, body relaxed although his mind was wound-up and alert. He nodded slightly, not about to say anything in case he jeopardized the opportunity.

#16 Magnus Venture

Tineye
  • Age45

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:59 AM

Magnus watched Gervais for a 
moment, judging his stance. Knees bent, at the ready for an attack, but there was something slightly barbaric and unpracticed about the rest of the boy's body. It denoted a lack of study, of course. It also showed a lack of dignity, and poise that was expected of most dueling men. If Gervais was pitted in a duel against anyone right now, he would be laughed at. Magnus would strive to correct such a stance before they begun. 

"Just because you are bending your knees does not mean you should be hunched over like a skaa worker. You are better than everyone you will come up against... And you must remember this, or you will always lose." Magnus demonstrated his dueling stance. He stood proudly, but ready to assume the dueling stance. 

"Even without a dueling cane, we stand with pride. Dueling is ninety percent skill, and ten appearance. If you win without grace, it's as if you didn't win at all." this was important for Magnus. He was trying to devise a way that he could humiliate the captain of his family's guard without making a fool of himself. It was a difficult problem. 

Magnus waited for Gervais to assume a more civil position before continuing. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users