The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Apologies.

Closed W1 D7 LN Magnus Venture Rhea Venture

4 replies to this topic

#1 Rhea Venture

Tineye
  • Age40

• Relationship StatusMarried

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:25 PM

Rhea's mind kept turning the new information over and over, but she couldn't make heads or tails of it. She sat at her small writing desk in her chambers and cleared her thoughts. She was packing the things in her mind away that didn't need to be out -- nothing about her meeting with Andrew, nothing about her brother's refusal to send her another servant to help her. She only kept in the front of her mind what was going on at the present moment... and what happened earlier that day.

She touched pen to paper and started to write.

My husband has voiced concern to Broderick about our safety. This must mean something very big is happening just outside of my sphere of knowledge. I don't know much about Phyra other than Magnus' feelings for her. He hates her. Anyone that Magnus hates is no friend of mine.

It may seem strange to anyone else in the family, but Magnus has a kind of charm that no other man has. He is powerful, even if he doesn't show his affection. I have learned to gather things from what people don't say -- Magnus included. I believe he loves me... Although I doubt he's ever said it directly to me.

I wish he would realize that he has the potential to get rid of Nevan, Ellsworth... anyone that stands in his way of greatness. I'll be by his side... By his side until we part this world. Will Magnus respond to any of my nudging on his emotions? Has he ever?

What if this whole business came out to the family? I would be killed -- for going Rogue -- just as Phyra will be. She can't hope to survive, not with hatred from her own family. She will be left to die alone. I hope that Magnus and Broderick know how much they mean to me. Should this come out... They will be the ones most eff--

Rhea heard a knock on the door, harsh and simple. Three knocks. She shoved the piece of paper into the one drawer on her desk. She would find time to hide it later. The woman had sent Helen to get her some food, so she was left alone to write. When she opened the door, she saw her husband's face. She had never felt so in love with him... and she knew somewhere deep down whatever feelings he had for her would surface someday. She only hoped it wasn't too late.

"Magnus..." she said, allowing him entrance. The couple had separate bedrooms, but sometimes Rhea forced him to sleep in with her. They would sleep, nothing more. It was a stagnant relationship...but Rhea loved him anyway.

"I'm... I'm sorry." she said, moving closer to him. She felt protected in his house... but she also felt a gap between them. She bridged that gap by embracing him. She hugged Magnus, but instead of feeling like it brought them closer, it only drove them further from each other.

I really am alone in this relationship. Rhea thought to herself, holding back tears.

Edited by Moru, 31 December 2012 - 05:43 AM.

#2 Magnus Venture

• Captain of the Venture Guard

Tineye
  • Age45

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:04 AM

Everything felt distant. His long day, even with him burning pewter, took its toll. He went back inside of the keep when he knew he wouldn't be helping anything further outside. He kept the guards on alert through the night. He got to his wife's chambers and knew they would need to make up before the night was through. He was too tired to fight her on the subject of her Misting servant anymore. He didn't care why she had it... It was dead, and he would be more ... careful to check the people she employed from then on. He didn't need to trouble anyone else with the knowledge.

He waited at the door. Nothing came through his mind ... it was just a blank slate. When the door opened, he saw his wife in her dressing gown. She was as she always looked. The woman had her hair up, and was obviously getting ready to sleep. She was probably just about to take her hair down and brush it.

Magnus opened his mouth to speak, but before he could get a word out, he felt Rhea's arms wrap around his middle. He stood there, unsure of what to do with his hands. He could probably count the number of times he had hugged and kissed Rhea on one hand. They had been married for almost twenty years. When they were in public -- which was a rare occurrence -- was the only time they were mildly affectionate. If they went to balls, Magnus danced with her to keep up appearances. To the rest of the nobles in Luthadel, Rhea and Magnus were a happy, normal couple. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

He waited until she was done hugging him. "I don't want to speak of it any longer." he said sternly. "I will assign sevants for you from now on. Only when I'm satisfied they aren't Mistings will they continue in your service." Magnus was firm on this point. He wouldn't allow her to keep employing people that could jeopardize the Venture name.

To this, Magnus only received a nod. It was well enough, he didn't want to talk, anyway. He looked at his wife, his insecurities seemed to melt away when he was with her. Everything seemed like it was supposed to be the way it was. Thankfully, Rhea never asked Magnus to show affection he didn't feel. Magnus was lucky in that respect.

"Broderick read a simple map today," he said. "Even improved upon it."

Edited by Moru, 31 December 2012 - 02:58 AM.

#3 Broderick Venture

Atium Chandelier
  • Age20

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:43 AM

Broderick was worried about Mother. He had gone to his rooms as she had asked, changed clothes as she had asked, and had something to eat as she - and his stomach - had asked. But she was all alone except for her servants. Wouldn't she miss having someone around? Father was busy, and Broderick was only loafing around his rooms. And Mother was alone.

Deciding that this was not fair in the least, Broderick set out again to his Mother's rooms. He was just about to knock on the door when Father's voice stopped him.

"Broderick read a simple map today. Even improved upon it."

Broderick froze. Was that really his Father speaking? He wished there were some metal he could burn that would turn him invisible, so he could slip inside and make sure. So that he could watch as Father spoke those words. Those beautiful, precious words. Father... was praising him. Not to his face, but Broderick had long since learned that Father had trouble saying nice things to pretty much anybody. So to Broderick, it didn't matter who the words were spoken to. Father was speaking well of him! For a second, Broderick considered running into something to make sure this wasn't a dream, but decided in the end that that would just ruin the moment.

And so he stayed where he was, hoping to catch some other snippet of praise.

Posted Image

#4 Rhea Venture

Tineye
  • Age40

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:44 AM

Out of habit, Rhea began tugging on Magnus' emotions. They were easy to pull, she had been doing it so long that it became second nature to her, whether Helen was with her or not. She tugged while she was still hugging him, trying to get him to return the affection she displayed. She got nothing in return. Finally she let him go and sat back down on the edge of her bed, her nightgown hiding her figure underneath. She had somehow brought this on herself. She had married a man and pushed him away somehow. This was her fault.

She went pale when he said he'd be screening any replacement for her servant. She tried to hide the terrified look on her face, but it just wouldn't stop. She rioted Magnus' feeling of indifference on the situation, causing him to gloss over her look. He didn't inquire further, which was the point. He said nothing about getting rid of Helen, who was the important one. She was the one who got rid of all of the evidence. No one could tell she was using metals...

"He told me. He was quite pleased that he could improve upon it... Well, he wasn't sure he actually had. You could... tell him he did a good job once in a while Magnus. It's terrible that not being barked at was his only way of knowing he might have done something right," Rhea scolded, glad for the change of subject.

"I will use my own methods to give him praise, Rhea. He needs to get better at reading a map. The fact that he read one simple map shouldn't be enough for praise. I'm trying to get him to push himself harder. He has no real...motivation to do better than what he's doing right now."

Rhea looked at her husband, confused by him even more than ever. "His motivation is to please you."

"His duties are much more important than pleasing me. Nevertheless, he did well this evening. I may give him a task next time... depending on the situation."

Rhea smiled a little, looking at Magnus. He was proud of their son... and she could tell.

#5 Magnus Venture

• Captain of the Venture Guard

Tineye
  • Age45

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:05 AM

Magnus felt increasingly indifferent about his state of being. He didn't want for anything, and he didn't feel like it was necessary to do anything for the rest of the evening. He stood there, watching Rhea for a few moments, and when she didn't respond to him, he assumed their fight was over and they would go back to their normal routine. Magnus would bury himself in work and Rhea would do... whatever it was that she spent her days doing. Magnus was not even sure what she did when he wasn't around. It wasn't something he really concerned himself with.

"Good night, Rhea." He said, bowing his head in respect -- always formal.

Rhea stood and moved closer to Magnus. Magnus just thought that she was going to see him out of the room so he took two steps toward the door but was stopped by Rhea's hand on his arm.

"Can... you stay here tonight, Magnus?" she asked. "I... I'm frightened."

Magnus turned back to look at his wife. Whether it was the look on her face, or simply the fact that he didn't feel like protesting, he gave in to her request. He turned back around and nodded. "It's probably better that I stay anyway... just in case." The danger present earlier this evening had dissipated, but the feeling of being vulnerable -- as a house -- still lingered. He removed his coat and boots, hanging the former and placing the latter next to the bed. He was tired, exhausted really.

Rhea climbed into bed next to him, and Magnus made sure the lights were off. He drifted off to sleep, unsure of what to make out of the events of the day. He fell asleep hoping that tomorrow would be a better day.

Edited by Moru, 31 December 2012 - 02:58 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users