The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Throwing Things

23 replies to this topic

#1 Nadia Sureau

• The Second Sister Sureau

House Raisaal
  • Age21

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:14 PM

The tomato was perfect. Practically bursting in all its overripe glory. As she lifted it from the bucket, some of the juices seeped out of the cracked and oozing sides. Nadia Sureau didn't think she'd ever seen a more beautiful sight.

Spotting her target, Nadia let fly. The tomato sailed through the air in a graceful arc, stray juices trailing behind it. It was like a comet; Nadia's comet of justice, sent down from above to smite the wicked and deluded.

With an audible 'splooge' it burst all over Lady Merryweather's new peacock blue feather hat. Nadia quickly ducked onto the other side of the roof, muffling her laughter. She was standing on top of one of the simple structures that sheltered key watch points along Keep Fathvell's outer wall.

Reaching into the bucket, she handed another dripping comet to her companion. "Well Lady Eliza, care to have a go?"

#2 Eliza Fathvell

• Daughter of Lord Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• Relationship StatusCourting Caden Hasting

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:16 AM

The half-rotten juice dripped from the missile in Nadia's hand and plummeted to the ground, and Eliza found herself shying back a bit. She didn't mind getting her dresses dirty from climbing, but dirt didn't smell.

"I never signed up for throwing them," she said with a bit of hesitation. "Besides, knowing my luck, I'd end up wasting them." She paused, though. Nadia was, after all, the first real friend she had made in Luthadel; Eliza didn't want to push her away by refusing. Normally she wasn't one for compromise, but if it meant having a friend...

"Your aim is better," she explained. "Look, there goes Lord Winseldes. I told you that snide remark he made about me; I need to make sure he gets hit. Will you do the honors?"

Posted Image

#3 Nadia Sureau

House Raisaal
  • Age21

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:32 AM

Nadia shrugged and took aim. She was still working on Eliza. New to Luthadel, the girl was the perfect candidate for an accomplice. They hadn't had time to corrupt her yet. It helped that she liked climbing of course, something Nadia also enjoyed. Her work took her all kinds of places, and not all of them were accessible by stair. Because she was one of Nadia's only friends. Sometimes she feared she might lose Eliza if her schemes grew to out of hand, but she always told herself her work came first. That's why she didn't mind when Eliza got all proper and chickened out of something. As long as she let Nadia do as she wished, and accepted her despite their differences, Nadia wouldn't force her into anything.

That didn't mean she wasn't trying to convert the girl. Eliza might be uncorrupted by Luthadel's standards, but she had still been raised in a powerful noble house. There was a lot of work to be done. "So, tell me, did you really deck Riordan Casuana in the jaw at his own ball? That would have been a sight to see." Nadia smiled, picturing it in her head. If only she had been there. Then Riordan might have gotten two jabs to the face. Or perhaps she would have given the chap a break and went for that witch Eliza was forced to hang around with.

The tomato exploded against Lord Winseldes's side. The coat was black, and likely wouldn't stain too badly, but he would be smelling like rotten produce until he got home to wash.

"And how was her sliminess? If I was going to punch someone at that ball, it would have been that blonde trollop. She's one of the worst of them." Nadia smiled mischievously, picturing the look on Collete's face when Nadia's fist crushed her pretty little nose.

#4 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:38 AM

"I'd rather not talk about her," Eliza said quietly, suppressing a slight shiver. She wasn't herself when she was around Colette, and the way her emotions slipped and slid all over the place made her sick. "Being around her is bad enough."

She brightened, though, at mention of Riordan. "Of course I did," she said with a derisive sniff. "You should have heard some of the things he was saying about me. It was downright obscene. Now there's a man I wouldn't mind throwing things at. In fact, I might even throw two, if he walked by right now."

Posted Image

#5 Nadia Sureau

House Raisaal
  • Age21

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:31 AM

Nadia patted Eliza on the shoulder, taking care to use the hand that was not covered in rotten tomato goop. "What you have to realize Eliza, is Riordan Casuana is a symptom of the disease that is the final empire. They all are," Nadia said, gesturing out beyond the walls of Keep Fathvell. "Symptoms, that is. They might look or act differently, but their hypocrisies all stem from the same root."

"So," she said, casually lifting another comet from the bucket. "It doesn't really matter who you throw them at. They might not be Riordan, but most people deserve a good tomato to the face just as much as he does." Nadia hesitated, she didn't want to belittle Eliza's encounter. A little rage would be good for her. "All right, maybe not as much as he does, but almost. Here," she extended the tomato in Eliza direction, taking care not to drip on her friend's clothing. Eliza cared a little more about the things she wore than Nadia did, and Nadia could see she was a little disgusted by the tomatoes. If Eliza was going to get dirty, Nadia wanted it to be her own choice. Being her friend, she'd earned it. Too bad Lord Winseldes and Lady Merryweather hadn't.

"Just pretend the next person to walk around that corner is Riordan Casuana. They might not be, but really, they might as well be."

#6 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:23 AM

"I don't know about that," Eliza said thoughtfully. "Whatever Riordan Casuana is a symptom of, I don't think anyone else in Luthadel has it. With this lot, I think they'd keel over and die if they did. And if they didn't, I think I would if more than one person had it."

But, perhaps, maybe one couldn't hurt? She could always miss on purpose, after all. "If I touch this thing," she said as she hesitantly reached for the spoiled fruit, "you'd better give me something to wipe my hand on."

Posted Image

#7 Nadia Sureau

House Raisaal
  • Age21

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:08 PM

Nadia placed the comet lovingly into Eliza's hand. Fly true, my sweet. Stepping back, she gestured for Eliza to make her toss.

"You may use my gown, Lady Eliza. It was made to wipe the grime off of hands such as yours." The creamy blue construction was made of a light, frilly fabric. Long horizontal slashes decorated the skirts, and from within a second skirt as black as night peaked out. Both garments were already drizzled with flecks of tomato juice. The black combined with the smell of the juice was supposed to represent the rot within all nobles. Her long sleeves were put together in a similar fashion, and it was one of these she held out for Eliza to use as a towel.

"Good luck Eliza. May justice speed your throw!"

#8 Caden Hasting

• Potential Hasting Heir (Hasting Hottie)

House Raisaal
  • Age24

• Relationship StatusIn a Relationship with Eliza Fathvell

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:15 AM

Caden walked around the corner.

#9 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:48 AM

Eliza raised her arm back, ready to throw. I'll just miss on purpose, she reminded herself. Of course, with her aim, she probably didn't need to try in order to miss, but that was beside the point. She did not want to hit anyone, no matter what she told Nadia.

She took a deep breath. Well, here goes nothing.

She shifted her weight, she flung her arm forward, ready to let the disgusting missile loose...

... and who should walk around the corner but Caden Hasting himself.

Right into the target zone of Eliza's planned miss.

Biting back a curse, Eliza tightened her grip on the tomato so it couldn't even fly out of her hand on accident. But the vile thing burst under the sudden pressure of her clenched hand, sending a wet, sticky, smelly mess dripping down her arm, and Eliza cursed again. She flung her arm back down, nearly completing the circle it had made, and threw the remains of the tomato off the edge of the wall behind her. Damned thing.

But her misstep had thrown her off balance, and she stumbled forward, trying to find her footing again on the treacherous, ash-covered tiles. She felt her free hand latch frantically onto Nadia's arm as she flailed to recover herself.

Lord bloody Ruler's ashes! she cursed to herself. Just how big a fool can you make of yourself?

Posted Image

#10 Nadia Sureau

House Raisaal
  • Age21

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:40 PM

An experienced climber, Nadia reacted instantly when Eliza began to stumble, readily receiving her outstretched arm, tomato goop and all, and stabilizing them both. For a moment, she feared they would both go tumbling off the roof together, but then Nadia regained her balance, and helped Eliza do the same.

Looking at her friend, looking quite shaken and covered in tomato juice, Nadia couldn't help but collapse to the roof and laugh. She tried to stop it at first, but the situation was just so absurd she couldn't help it. As sat down, she bumped the bucket of tomatoes, which went crashing into the street. This of course only made her laugh harder.

After a moment, she managed to control herself, though that was enough time for a few people to have heard her. Several servants in the grounds were looking up at them with curious expressions on their faces.

"I'm sorry," said Nadia with a little snicker. "But that was priceless." Mastering herself, Nadia became concerned. What had happened? One minute Eliza looked ready to fly, and the next she had squished the tomato and lost her balance. "Are you all right? What's the matter?"

#11 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:24 AM

"Nothing," Eliza said, doing her best to keep her voice under control as she wiped her messy hands off on Nadia's sleeves. Her face was flushed with embarrassment. How could she have been so stupid? "Bloody nothing. Except for the fact that I almost fell off the roof, I guess. Now excuse me while I go throw myself off instead."

So she wasn't going to go that far, but she did need to get down before, Lord Ruler forbid, Caden saw her up there throwing rotten food at people. She picked her way across as quickly as she dared, hoping to flee the scene and find a convenient place to hop down as soon as possible.

And perhaps hide in the wine cellar in Keep Fathvell until Nadia and Caden both forgot all about this.

Posted Image

#12 Caden Hasting

House Raisaal
  • Age24

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

Suddenly, Caden sensed some commotion over on the outer wall of Keep Fathvell. That's odd, he thought. Perhaps the guards were doing some sort of drill, or participating in an odd islander tradition. Despite it's interesting place as a new potential member of House Hasting's alliance, Caden still didn't know as much as he would have liked to about House Fathvell. Perhaps it was time he got to know Lady Eliza better. Colette was obviously interested in the girl, she had almost gone out of her way to be friends with her. This was out of ordinary for Colette of course, who was used to having lower ranked girls begging to be her friend. If Eliza could help him in his struggle against Colette and help him get to know the Fathvells better, then perhaps he could kill two birds with one stone.

His idle study of the keep was interrupted when an eerie cackle echoed through the crisp afternoon air. Lord Ruler he thought, Is that a woman up there? He stopped the expletive before it could reach his lips. People might know him as the Hasting bastard, but that didn't mean he had to talk like it. Present yourself properly, he told himself. The only way to gain respect is to take away every other option.

Curious about what was going on, Caden began walking over to Keep Fathvell to have a better look.

#13 Nadia Sureau

House Raisaal
  • Age21

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

Jump off the roof? What was going on? One minute, Eliza had been ready to let fly, the next she was in some sort of panic. It would have been a beauty too. Nadia had chosen one of her best tomatoes, and before she stumbled, Eliza's throwing form had looked excellent. Something had made her change her mind at the last instant, something so startling that now her friend was too embarrassed to continue.

"Eliza wait!" called Nadia, hurrying after her friend. "If you try to climb down like this you'll fall for certain. What's the matter? Talk to me! Just tell me what happened!"

#14 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

"Caden Bloody Hasting, that's what," Eliza said to Nadia even as she continued her progress along the top of the wall. "He walked right into the path of that flying rot." She slipped a little in the ash that had accumulated, but quickly recovered - but not without a price, if that ripping sound was any indication. Stupid bloody Central Dominance and its stupid bloody impossible dresses. Who in the world needed this many petticoats anyways?

"I should never have thrown that thing," she said after a moment, more to herself than Nadia.

Posted Image

#15 Caden Hasting

House Raisaal
  • Age24

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

There was some sort of disturbance up on the wall. Had he been a tin-eye, Caden might have been able to discern the cause of the commotion instantly. As he was, it took until he thought he heard a familiar voice for any form of recognition to occur. Could it be?

It had sounded like Eliza Fathvell, his dancing partner from the Casuana ball. As a new member of Colette's circle and a representative of a house that was a tentative member of House Hasting's alliance with Sureau and the other members of the coalition, Lady Eliza would be a valuable acquaintance in more ways than one. Any opportunity he had to become closer to her would be a valuable one.

Making his decision, Caden called out. "Lady Eliza, is that you? Forgive my presumption, but I thought I detected some commotion up on the wall. Are you all right?"

#16 Nadia Sureau

House Raisaal
  • Age21

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

Nadia took one look at Eliza's face and knew she could not allow Caden Hasting know what was going on. Why Eliza was so concerned what Caden thought of her was beyond Nadia. He'd always seemed like a self absorbed conceited bigot to Nadia, but then, in Luthadel most men seemed that way. Whatever her reasoning, it was obvious Eliza had some sort of feelings for the man. Nadia would have to talk her out of them at a later date. Right now, Eliza was in danger of being horribly embarrassed, and Nadia was partially responsible. She had to take action.

She gentled shoved Eliza back, hoping to get her away from the exterior edge of the wall, and out of Caden's view. Then, clearing her throat, she adopted a gruff expression, hoping to impersonate a stereo typical female guard. While it was not common for women to join noble house garrisons or do guard duty unless they were allomancers, House Fathvell was from the Southern Islands, which meant they were a little less traditional than most other Great Houses. Hopefully the ruse would work.

"Pardon me, milord," called Nadia, hoping Caden wouldn't recognize her. She didn't associate with him that much, and her gown was almost unrecognizable under the ash and tomato juice as such. Nonetheless, she kept as far back as she could while still seeming to elan over the edge of the wall. "Lady Eliza should be within the keep. Shall I send someone to inquire whether or not she wishes to see you?"

#17 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Oh Lord Ruler. Oh Lord Ruler. Had Caden actually seen her? She was going to just ignore him, and hide, hoping he would think he had been mistaken and just leave already. But before he had the chance, Nadia was pushing her aside and walking to the edge of the wall.

By the time Eliza recovered her balance and was able to see what was going on, Nadia was sort of half-leaning over the wall and speaking to Caden in an unusually gruff voice. What in the...?

The realization hit her just like that tomato had almost hit Caden earlier. Nadia wasn't giving her away, she was covering for her! Eliza sank down in relief, only realizing too late that her dress was now entirely ruined.

Oh well. She hadn't liked this one anyways.

Now that she realized what Nadia was trying to do, though, it was probably better if she kept a low profile - literally. She remained silent for now, but flashed Nadia a grateful smile that she hoped her friend would see.

Posted Image

#18 Caden Hasting

House Raisaal
  • Age24

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

Caden shielded his eyes against the sun, trying to get a good look at whoever he was speaking to. The voice sounded oddly familiar, and Caden didn't remember taking note of any female guards in the Fathvell retinue. That being said, he couldn't quite place the voice, and the angle at which he was looking up the wall prevented him from getting a good look at whoever it was.

Of course Lady Eliza would be inside. What in the world would she be doing on the wall? Caden could have sworn he had heard Eliza's voice, but perhaps it had just been his imagination getting away from him. Kaylen's disappearance the debacle with the Elariels had him dwelling on the Casuana ball, and everything that had transpired there. As she figured prominently in the night's events, and somewhat into his future plans, Caden supposed she must have been on his mind. Perhaps the voice he had heard was some relative of Eliza's. Many larger houses included less important family members in their staff. Perhaps the slight twinge of the southern isles in the accent had been all that was needed. Whatever the cause, he saw now it had been fanciful of him to suspect Lady Eliza Fathvell had been climbing around on the roof. Now he had to decide how to get himself out of the situation without making an even bigger fool of himself.

"No that's fine," he called, still trying to catch sight of the female guard. It was disconcerting not being able to analyze the person he was speaking to. "I wouldn't want to impose myself." Not to hesitant. You are a potential heir to the Hasting title. Act like it. "You may inform Lady Eliza that I would enjoy to share her company at her earliest convenience. I'm sure a messenger could be sent to compare our our schedules so that an appointment could be arranged."

It was a little haphazard, but not bad. It was improper for a man of his station to deliver such a message himself, but the Southern Islands were supposed to be more liberal, so perhaps Eliza would appreciate his slight breach of decorum. Furthermore, meeting with her again would give him a chance to decide how he could use her against Colette.

"I trust that won't be too much trouble, and that you will ensure my message is delivered. You may inform Lady Eliza a response may be sent to Keep Hasting. I shall be awaiting her reply." Wanting to minimize the potential for further embarrassment, Caden gave the guard his most charming smile, and went on his way, wondering what sort of ally he might find in Eliza Fathvell.

#19 Nadia Sureau

House Raisaal
  • Age21

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

As Nadia watched Caden Hasting go on his way, a smug smile spread across her face. "Well," she said to Eliza. "It looks like our little crisis has been averted." It had been a close one too. She hadn't noticed until too late that their bucket of tomatoes remained overturned in the street, proof of their crimes. Luckily Caden hadn't seemed to notice, or if he had, he had probably just attributed to common garbage. It wasn't like it was found inside the keep after all, and Luthadel was a terribly filthy place in general. It was a state Nadia found appropriate, given the character of the place.

"Now," she said once she had made sure Caden had turned the next corner. "You're going to tell me what that whole debacle was all about?" As she spoke, she turned to face her friend, trying to read her reactions and see through to the heart of the problem. "Why in the world did you botch a perfect throw because of Caden Hasting? What does that pompous pretty boy mean to you?"

#20 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

.... Caden wanted to see her? Caden Hasting wanted to see her. Caden Hasting had come, in person, to see her. And she was stuck on the bloody roof! How could she have been so stupid? She was so busy kicking herself that it took her a minute to realize that Nadia was talking to her.

"Oh! Um. What?" she asked, trying to piece together what Nadia had been saying while Eliza wasn't paying attention. "Oh, right. Caden." She paused to clear her throat, and she could feel heat rising in her cheeks.

"He means freedom from Colette," she said finally. "Freedom from that spoiled little monster, and... and...." She flushed even more deeply. "I don't know what else, alright? He just... does."

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users