The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Introduction/Greetings/Salutations

12 replies to this topic

#1 Seraphiro

Skaa

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:29 AM

I've always found thinking up titles for introduction topics annoying. But anyways.

Hello all. As you can tell, my username is Seraphiro, and I'm new. I found this place because I was browsing the 17th shard site, which in turn I found because I've been re-reading the Mistborn series in anticipation of Alloy of Law. (Hooray, new Mistborn book!)

I don't know how soon I'll be joining in the roleplaying action as I plan on reading through the entire continuity thread so I know what's going on. Scrolling through Cycle One, it seems to be quite a daunting task. While I'm doing that, however, I look forward to getting to know the members of the community. It is unfortunate that all those around me who love Sanderson love him because I introduced him to them, rather than discovering Sanderson for themselves. What difference this makes, I have no idea, but nevertheless, look forward to meeting you all.

And the stilted, formal language is just cause sometimes it's fun to sound prim and proper.

#2 KChan

Atium Chandelier

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:44 AM

I completely agree with you there. ;) Also, hi and welcome! I'm glad to see you've found your way over here! :D I'm KChan on 17th Shard, so I'm one of your friendly neighborhood admins both here and over there.

It can be daunting to get caught up, but hopefully our Continuity Thread can help you at least know what happens when. And while summarizing the entire RP thus far is a bit outside my scope at the moment, if there's anything you want summed up, just ask and we'll do our best to get you caught up quickly.

And once again, welcome! :D

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Borborygmus

Nessa's Baywrap

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:02 AM

wow, you are dedicated to read through all that! We've written...well, I know that in the Casuana Ball alone, we beat out the Well of Ascension for wordcount. xD

Welcome welcome! I hope you like it here and that we will see you soon in character! :D
user posted image

#4 Seraphiro

Skaa

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:14 AM

Oh man. You guys beat out the Well... Looks like I've got my work cut out for me then, haha.

Questions, hmm... I guess I have a few.

1. I know there are hundreds of characters flitting everywhere on the board, but about how many individuals are active in the RP?

2. I know I should double check the FAQ for this, but is there an expected amount of participation? I know those with more important characters need to be committed to posting more often, but about what pace does the story move along? A post a day, a post every few days?

Thanks for being so welcoming. :)

Edited by Seraphiro, 18 October 2011 - 01:20 AM.

#5 Chaos

High House Noble

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:29 AM

Seraphiro, on Oct 17 2011, 07:14 PM, said:

Oh man. You guys beat out the Well... Looks like I've got my work cut out for me then, haha.

Questions, hmm... I guess I have a few.

1. I know there are hundreds of characters flitting everywhere on the board, but about how many individuals are active in the RP?

2. I know I should double check the FAQ for this, but is there an expected amount of participation? I know those with more important characters need to be committed to posting more often, but about what pace does the story move along? A post a day, a post every few days?

Thanks for being so welcoming. :D
Hi Seraphino! I know, it really is daunting. But hopefully a lot of the documentation does help to see the big picture. That doesn't mean it isn't "oh my god my eyes hurt from so much text", but hopefully it's managed as well as it could be.

Thanks for coming here! I'm very excited for the Alloy of Law, too. I'm glad you have come to this corner of 17S. I think a lot of people get on 17S, see this section, and just get scared away, haha.

1. We actually try to keep the character application section fairly up-to-date. We move the inactive characters to Retired. So, basically all the characters in the Skaa, Noble, etc. forums are considered active. That's not as intimidating as it sounds, because most of those characters are concentrated in a select few of us (for example, KChan has... a lot of characters).

2. The way it happened for me eons ago was that Camille/KChan said that I only have to put in the amount of time that I feel necessary. That was what she told me when I said I didn't have time.

So obviously I decided to throw the first ball and create the rebellion leader, because I guess I'm a masochist.

Don't be daunted from time commitments. That Ball--while huge--has happened over an incredibly long period of time. You couldn't possibly be as slackery on posts than I've been in the ball.

That said, if you find yourself embroiled in critical plotlines, we may bug you from time to time, but that shouldn't worry you.

#6 KChan

Atium Chandelier

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:51 AM

What he said. We don't have a minimum word count or activity checks, but of course if you can't post for a while we do appreciate a heads-up. Basically, you post what you need to post to do as much as you want to do. You can work your way into important board-wide plots, or you can just have fun interacting with other characters. There's no minimum, and no maximum either. :D

There has been one case in which we've had to GM a character, but that's because the player involved her irrevocably in a vital board-wide plot that has to happen for the RP's story to make sense, and then vanished without a word. That's the only time it's happened though; usually, inactive characters just get moved to the Inactive section of the application archives, and are easily restored. I hope that helps! Don't worry; if you think you might have to vanish for a little bit, just tell us, and we'll be happy to work with you. ^^

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Seraphiro

Skaa

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:07 AM

Thanks for the prompt replies!

I've gotten started on the posts, but as I soon discovered, there are several closed topics that either never continue or don't have much to do with the main plot. I enjoyed reading several of these, but as I want to get caught up quickly and start contributing my own words, I am considering filtering names. Would this be wise, you think, to focus on reading all the topics with names such as Mia Casuana and Ignas?

#8 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

House Raisaal

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:35 AM

Welcome here! I'm Comatose, the global moderator and only member of the staff who hasn't welcomed you yet. I get what you are saying about introducing people to mistborn... my situation is pretty much exactly the same.

As for important posts, I think it depends on what kind of character you are making, because you'll want to read the posts that involve people you are going to be interacting with.

Also, if you miss something and are confused, you can always ask someone to find out what's up. I don't think I've even read all the stuff from before I got here, so don't sweat it if you don't. From my experience, catching on to what's going on isn't too hard. Daerra and Aaron, my first two characters, started out not involved in anything, and now have huge plots going on, and when I started RPing with them I hadn't really read any of the old stuff.

So, long answer short, use your discretion and read according to what kind of character you want to make :D.

WELCOME!

Posted Image

#9 KChan

Atium Chandelier

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:41 AM

Try these threads, for a start. I've sorted them chronologically from earliest to latest:

Safety Net
Coming to Call
Nothing to Fear
Relief at the End of the Day
Late Night Meeting
Of Rumors, Payment, and Shady Characters - This one offers a good, brief summary of the Casuana plotline.
Getting Back on Track
Arrows of Sorrow
A Matter of Trust
Drop Point
Old Friends and New
The Eve of the Ball
"I Haven't Got Enough Boxings to Buy A New Dress" - Another, even briefer summary

And after that, of course, the ball.

This isn't a comprehensive list, but those are the threads I can think of that sum up a lot of the principal action that builds up to the Casuana ball.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Sabine Vesta

Skaa

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:51 AM

Hello! I'm Sabine, I'm new too. When you get to playing, PM me and we'll plot. :D
user posted image

#11 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

House Raisaal

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:00 AM

I think that's a good list. If you are ever confused about anything that is happening, just ask one of us, and we can point you to the appropriate thread.

Posted Image

#12 Chaos

High House Noble

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:08 AM

For now, yes, Seraphiro, Mia and Ignas posts are the "main" plot. Cycle two will get harder to distill down a main plot, but that's the nice part about planning for the Ball--it really is wrapping together a lot of the Casuana and rebel plots together. Sorry for the Ball not being done yet... it will be eventually.

Calm Before the Storm is also a good rebel topic, though it does have some frills. But hey, Nessa and Perrin are fun.

Anyway, ugh. You have to trudge through some tedious Mia posts :D Oh, if we could revise...

#13 KChan

Atium Chandelier

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:06 AM

I'd recommend reading the Cassi posts (made by Camille Deveaux) too, just because they're quick and easy exposition. And yeah, Calm Before the Storm is a lot of fun. At least, if you're a Perrin/Nessa shipper. <3

Posted Image
Posted Image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users