The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Trying to Get By

W1 D3 MM Kayla Oravelia Ewing

24 replies to this topic

#21 Kayla

• Skaa Seeker

Theatre Spectator
  • Age15

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginEastern Dominance

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:50 AM

For a second all Kayla could do was stare at the food. She took it reverently like it was the most precious substance she had ever seen or touched. "Thank you," she whispered breathlessly. "Thank you so much." She took a bite of the cheese, promising herself she would eat it slowly despite her urge to just tear into it. Despite her resolve she quickly found herself chewing and swallowing as quickly as she could. Her face flushed with relief.

She ate half the cheese in a few bites and tucked the rest along with the bread into her pocket. If she was careful that much food could last her awhile. "It's so kind of you," she told the woman. "My lady...why....why are you...I mean why would you....forgive me, but I don't understand..." she trailed off. It seemed ungrateful to her to question the motives of such a wonderful woman but Kayla had to understand.

Now that she wasn't occupied with eating she noticed another detail about Ora. The girl seemed comfortable and at ease as if the mists were not a thing to be feared. Could she go out regularly at night? In fact, if it wasn't a trick of the light it seemed to Kayla that the mist swirled lightly around Ora. She felt a stab of fear. "Lady....you must be careful of the mists...."

Characters: Claudia Elariel, Jessica Marsdale, Kayla, Adalae Lekal

#22 Guest_Oravelia Ewing_*

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:00 AM

Ora watched as the girl ate, feeling pity on the girl. She has been so hungry and Ora had made her wait all day for the food that was so simple for Ora to get for her. She sighed as the girl chewed the cheese down, and looked to the ground.

The girl spoke, "My lady...why....why are you...I mean why would you....forgive me, but I don't understand..."

Ora blinked and began to speak, but as she opened her mouth the girl commented on the mists, and Ora remembered the effect the mists had on people such has herself. Gently washing over her body, welcoming it home where it belonged. She wondered how to explain this besides to tell the girl she was Mistborn, and that was simply out of the question. She spoke quietly, "Do not worry, the mists are nothing to fear Kayla. You must trust me." She said, and she then addressed Kayla's confusion. "I must be against everything you know of people like me, and in most ways that is true." She said.

"I am not like most of the other Nobility, but I am still Nobility however. We are different you and I. She noted. "But you are just as much of a person as I am, even if you are a different kind. I believe that the skaa are not treated fairly, and I see violence for what it is. Whether it is towards skaa or the nobility." She took a deep breath. "I am sorry if I confuse you. I confuse myself most of the time." She said.

"And please don't call me Lady. Call me Ora, at least when we are alone." She added as an afterthought.

#23 Kayla

• Skaa Seeker

Theatre Spectator
  • Age15

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:15 AM

"Lady....Ora." Kayla said, carefully, testing the name. "I can't thank you enough," she said again just for effect. Without the noise to drown her out Kayla's voice was clear and musical, almost the voice of a trained singer. "How can I repay you?"

She was starting to feel better about this whole thing. A full stomach would do that. With no one around she felt less nervous talking to Ora. It seemed to Kayla that the woman had a naturally calming effect.

Luthadel was prettier at night when the soot weren't apparent and you could pretend it was snow falling instead of ash. Even the mist added an air of secrecy and beauty to it for those who weren't afraid. Kayla didn't think she would ever be free of that fear but she could appreciate the quiet.

#24 Guest_Oravelia Ewing_*

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:26 AM

Ora extinguished all of her metals except copper to hide her presence, and tin to listen for any approaching. She blinked a few times, and chose her words carefully. "We both know there is no way for you to pay me Kayla. However, I do not seek payment for my actions." She explained in a calm tone. "You will come to find that I often put others who are less fortunate before myself. And the only payment that I seek is to better the lives of others." She said.

It was odd to see a girl who was barely becoming a woman speaking of such responsible and unselfish things. Ora in some ways was mature way beyond her years, and in others she was a naive as a small child.

"I think I may have found a way to get you into House Ewing." She said changing the subject. "I finally talked Mihn into arranging a spot for you, that will be very close to him and myself so that I may keep an eye on you and make sure nothing should go wrong." She told the girl. "He requested that my father hire an attendant for me, since he is spread too thin by my ... rather brash nature. And he told my father that he had selected a girl already." She smiled. "My father is contemplating the option as we speak, and we should know soon if he has accepted Mihn's request."

#25 Kayla

• Skaa Seeker

Theatre Spectator
  • Age15

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:37 AM

She bit back the wince. She hadn't meant monetarily. Surely there was some errand, some service she could preform for the lady to show her gratitude. She could never make up the value of what Ora had done of course but Kayla wanted to do something for her. It was almost physically painful to think that she was being faced with such kindness and all she could do was accept it...that she had nothing to offer in exchange.

"If..if he agrees, I'll work hard," she promised Ora again, repeating her earlier sentiment. She didn't know what else to say. "You will not be disappointed in me, lady Ora. I promise." She glanced down at herself, thinking. If Ora's father agreed to hire her there would be no way she could go to Keep Ewing the way she was, covered in soot and ash. She knew her face was so dark she must look almost like a raccoon with only her hazel eyes glinting when the light hit them. Maybe she could go dunk herself in the river. Kayle tried to remember what it felt like to not be coated in dust but it had been so long that the memory was fairly distant. The thought made her a little nervous. She had grown accustomed to the anonymity her appearance provided her.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users