The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
» Forum Rules
» The Story Thus Far
» Character Application
» Frequently Asked Questions
» Character System Guide
» Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
» The Three Metallic Arts
» Guide to the Final Empire
» Map of Luthadel
» The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
» Introduce Yourself
» Universal Continuity Thread
» The Timeline
» Adoptable Characters
» Wanted Characters
» Face Registry
» Open Threads List

Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Of Skirts and Their Wearers

W2 D3 LA Kaled Valoren Sanna Tekiel Lucille Deveaux Nell

29 replies to this topic

#1 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

Bloody women. That simple fact held many connotations about the female variety. Especially Kaled's, whom he at the moment was currently flustered over. His half-sister to be precise.

Kaled walked the wide streets of Luthadel, bustling with activity. Crowds of well dressed noble-born modestly jostling towards a window here and there to peruse its contents. Amongst them were the skaa - mostly hidden amongst the shadows of alley ways. Protected by a thin sheath of shade.

He felt sorry for those. While he lived the high life, treated as an equal to these vultures, the skaa lived in squalor. Almost always with that thought came that guilty conscience, telling him he should be down there in shadows too. Hiding from who and what he really was.

On the main thorough-fare there was a small shop, sign inlaid with lacey gold bordering the deep violet lettering announced where Kaled had been sent. Earlier, his half-sister, Aurele, demanded Kaled seek out this particular store for the dress he would have the intuition of picking out.

After a brief arguement, and which Kaled still wasn't sure how he'd let her win - probably those thighs she revealed - he'd conceded. He never was good with women. There had been only one.

Hand on brass door handle, thumb tensed to depress the clasp, he tried to dispel a memory. It was difficult but sucking in air, he entered. It really was a small shop, no giving to otherwise on the outside.

Each wall was lined with orderly stacks of courtly dresses, fit for any noble ball. Similarly, the floors and ceilings were clean, waxed to a stately finish. The counter, behind which the proprietor stood - a waxy model herself, too doll like that Kaled mistook her for a life size wax work in a floral pink and white dress - was of a finished wood and cut to standard.

Kaled felt himself being hit in the gut by the candied perfection. He glanced towards the women behind the counter wondering if she polished the floors after everyone visited. Probably did. Some people had strange quirks like that.

Realising he looked hesitant, standing there like a mouse shocked to find it had been tricked, he began to work out a requisition, almost stumbling over the words. He did manage to explain the type of dress he was looking for - quickly correcting it to a relative - and the size. Though he wasn't sure if he'd related that last part accurately.

What was he doing in this place? That blasted woman.

Edited by Lyrebon, 20 November 2011 - 11:50 PM.

#2 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:39 PM

Eureka! It had taken her the better part of the morning, but Sanna had at last tracked down the tailor who had designed the dress Aldwin bought her for the Casuana ball. The unfortunate gown had been badly charred that evening, and where it hadn't been burnt, the silk had been ruined by the water someone splashed on her to put the fire out. But now that she knew who had made it, she could get it replaced from the original design. Of course, she could have just asked Aldwin, too, but this was an excuse to go on a hunt.

Highly pleased with today's achievement, she was about to go through the rest of the gowns that were on display in the shop. There was a slim, sea-green outfit, embroidered in complicated spiraling blue threads, that she thought was really lovely; with the right scarf arranged just so -

Mid-thought, she spotted the red-haired man who had just come into the shop. He stood there for a few moments, just staring about himself with the wide-eyed gaze of a stranger lost in a strange land. Then he recovered himself a little, but nearly tripped over his own tongue as he tried to speak with the dressmaker who owned the store. The poor man still looked lost and confused, and he plainly had almost no idea of what he was doing. It was time for an intervention.

Soft pink skirts flared as Sanna swooped in to pounce, one hand touching Kaled's arm lightly as she smiled warmly up at him. Tapping brass, she gently Soothed his uncertainty, anger, and discomfort as she spoke. "Hello there. I am an interfering sort of person, and you look like you could use some help finding what you need. May I?"

#3 Nell

• Tutor's Assistant

House Raisaal
  • Age20

• OriginLakeside

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:30 AM

Nell clutched her package firmly to her chest. She'd noticed Barty was running out of writing materials, as he often did, and she'd taken the initiative to go out and buy him some new ones, hoping to surprise him. At the stationary, she'd done her best to feel all the different kinds of paper, examine the quality of tip on each of the quill pens, and tested each bottle of ink for clots. Barty deserved the best, and Nell wanted to do her best to make sure he got it. She was looking at graphite for sketching and graphing when the shop keeper had begun showing signs of agitation, so Nell was forced to make her selections sooner than she would have liked. She had learned from experience that most shop owners assumed any skaa who took too long browsing was looking for an opportunity to shop lift and reacted accordingly.

Despite her panicked exit from the shop, she thought Barty would be happy with her choices. Perhaps, if she was quick, she could unpack everything and have it in it's place before he noticed. Barty was always happiest working on one of his projects, and thus the less they were interrupted the better. If she proved she could be a good and competent assistant, maybe Barty would bring her to more balls. Luthadel was abuzz with the aftermath of the chaos at the Casuana ball. Nell had never been to a ball at a Great House before, but besides the recent skaa attacks and rumors of Steel Inquisitors they sounded positively magical. The scene would be more extravagant, the gowns fancier, and the music more lovely.

The next Great House ball was being hosted by Elariel, and Nell had dreamed last night that Barty had received an invitation and asked her to accompany him. Of course, in the dream, she was a beautiful noblewoman and he taking her as his date, but Nell would enjoy going as his attendant just as much. Well, almost as much. True, she wouldn't be able to dance or wear a beautiful gown, but she could still take in the sights and sounds, and perhaps learn a thing or two about the beautiful nobles who fascinated her. She just had to make sure she impressed him. She'd managed to thoroughly embarass herself at the last gathering Barty had brought her to. She couldn't afford to do so again if she wanted to make it to the Elariel ball.

A shop window caught her eye. Involuntarily, she slowed to a stop and gazed longingly at the beautiful creations displayed in the window. What would it be like to wear such a work of art? In her imagination, it wasn't just the dress of course. The elegant gown was accompanied by fine jewelery, and her hair (which in all her fantasies intensified to a vivid red, instead of the boring mousy color it was) would be done in curls piled on top of her head. Her face would be painted with the finest make-up and she would dance gracefully across the floor in beautiful high heeled shoes.

Nell shook her head, clearing the fantasy. She had to get back. Reluctantly, she started moving again, making sure she had not crushed her crinkled her package.

She got about three steps before she stopped. She hadn't taken too long at the stationary, had she? Barty probably hadn't even noticed she was gone yet. It wouldn't hurt to take a peek inside the shop, would it? From her understanding, skaa were often sent to examine shops and pick up packages for their masters. Surely no one would care if she just took one look.

Cautiously, she stepped into the shop, trying to be as unobtrusive as possible. Aside from the proprietor, Nell noticed two other patrons, nobles by the look of them. One was a stern looking man with hair that was an exotic shade of red. If only she could have hair like that! The other customer was a noblewoman. Her dress was an exquisite pink creation so extravagant the wearer must be a member of a powerful house. No member of Lady Pirelle's household wore clothes made of such fine fabric or with such exquisite workmanship. Nell allowed herself one longing look before lowering her eyes. It wouldn't due to offend the noble lady by staring. Taking a few steps and turning to this side, Nell raised her gaze and began to examine all the beautiful dresses and imagine herself in each of them.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:32 AM

Still broiling over Aurele's absurd errand and slapping himself for muddling his words, the fluttering of pink almost passed by unnoticed, if not for the fingertips placed lightly on his arm.

Kaled hadn't noticed anyone else in the store. Turning to look he could see why; the lady he faced wore a delicate pink dress. Pink! She'd been perfectly camouflaged against the backdrop of finery and, to Kaled, ludicrous combinations of good thread.

But the way she wore that dress, the way she looked at him made him feel strangely calm. His recent fluster began to abate as she tickled his ears with a soft voice.

Inquiring about his state of ignorance, Kaled began to protest in his mind and opened his mouth to say something. Before he could, however, he bit back his retort as a new sensation of serenity canvassed his irritation.

He felt odd and it wasn't for the reason he found this lady attractive. Sure, that dress accentuated her complexion well, and he followed that astonishingly intricate hair until he began to wonder about underneath all the folds and fabric.

Embaressed, Kaled snapped his attention back to her eyes but couldn't hold them for long. They seemed to draw him in and yet there was something in that voice that seemed... odd. Kaled couldn't pick up what it was.

There was something else, something he couldn't yet explain that made him wonder. At least that thought seemed to tie wool around his bashfulness for a moment.

"Errm, yes... yes, maybe I do a little. The dress isn't for me, it's a relatives. Sister... my sister, actually." So much for his aptitude with the ladies. In one fell swoop he'd harvested the crop of his confidence. Turning from the alluring woman he cursed and immediately apologised.

"Excuse me... I, well, you know... assumed I wouldn't run into a lady of your... errm... your... ah mist-driven wretch." A beautiful lady. Just say it, say what you want to say. All that training to rule the courts that Garren had taught him and he couldn't even compliment a woman.

#5 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:11 AM

She continued to smile at him as he bumbled his way through a reply, although her eyes were touched with limpid amusement. He really was tripping over his tongue now, not just nearly so. There was so much material for teasing in what he had just said, from explaining the dress wasn't for himself to practically calling her a mist-driven wretch by accident, that it was very difficult for Sanna to resist the urge.

But it was easy enough to tell the reason for his confusion. His eyes had given that away, along with the flush that had risen from under his collar. It would be a little mean-spirited to deliberately try to spin his thoughts around further yet. She took pity on him instead and left the opportunities untouched. Although she did continue to smile up at him through her lashes, because his reaction had really been rather priceless.

She was about to speak, when -

#6 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:13 AM

Hmmm... Perhaps this one? Lucille didn't often wander in and out of dressmakers' shops - she was more apt to spend all day in a library or a bookstore - but as her favorite white dress had been ruined during that tragic staircase accident in the street the other day, she'd been on a prowl for a dressmaker who wouldn't take offense at being asked to remake someone else's design, or at least repair the original. This shop looked very nice indeed --

-- And when she stepped in, who should she see there but Sanna Tekiel! Of all the wonderful luck! She knew there was a reason she had gone shopping today. And, much to her amusement, it seemed Sanna was knee-deep in making some unfortunate young man's face as red as his hair. Lucille herself wasn't much one for flirting, but somehow it didn't surprise her that Sanna was.

"Excuse me..." the poor young man was stammering as Luci crept up behind Sanna, "I, well, you know... assumed I wouldn't run into a lady of your... errm... your... ah mist-driven wretch."

"Of her what?" she asked with a grin and a gleam in her eye. "Of her poise? Of her beauty? Not of her mist-driven wretches, though; I'm afraid she's all out of those. Though I do have it on good authority that the Tekiels keep hordes of Mistwraiths in their cellars," she added with a wink.

Posted Image

#7 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:46 AM

He realised he might have inadvertently called her a mist-driven wretch. Not his intentions of course, it was just this damn store. All these frills and lace that might look good on a woman, but Kaled wasn't the one to decide. He'd much rather it be the one place to drown himself with solitude... and maybe a good game of dice.

A desire to rectify his mistake, as any man of honour should, would give him the vigour of steadiness. A man was at home with a sword in hand and Kaled's innate ability to lead a company of a hundred men kept his nervousness in check. It happened rarely, women always flustered him so. Kaled just wasn't prepared with the right words; should he flatter them? Maybe joke a little to elevate the mood? Or should he just talk without stuttering for once? That last he longed for as natural a talent as the strategist in him.

Before he could reply, however, another voice cracked the tension for him. Thinking it was the seamstress returning with a dress matching his - Aurele's - requirements he was surprised to find the back of the store empty, save for the open door the seamstress would be through. No, the words seemed playfully accusatory and he bowed his head in shame as each one pierced his resolved confidence, deflating it almost as expediently as before. At least this time he had reason to feel deflated, and not by his own words.

He turned as the other lady finished, catching a wink from her. He blushed and sheepishly hung his head. Both from his embaressment at her words and his own frustration with himself. Almost muttering, half turning his head in the direction of a pink patch on his periphery, he addressed the first woman who had offered him help in light of what the new arrival had said.

"What she proposed... Beauty." Taking in a deep swallow of air for the second time in recent memory, Kaled forced himself to remain calm. With difficulty, he managed but still avoided looking the women in the face.
"E-excuse me... er, my lady. I did not mean you were... a mist-driven wretch." He gained some measure of composure, ironing out his voice and straightening his posture. But faced with two beautiful women - now just taking in the other ladies features - it was almost unbearable.

He could bet Matthias would have a row over this one, if he ever heard about it. Doubtful he would. Unless these women somehow connections to the Valoren household or, at a stretch, the rebel skaa. Longing to be in a deep corner of some tavern somewhere, he turned to gaze onto the street. Past the ornamental dresses confining his view of freedom to the bustle beyond, past the... yet another woman was in the store, eyes scanning the row of dresses with a longing gaze.

This one seemed meeker than the finely dressed nobles, however and Kaled chalked her up to be skaa. What would skaa do with a shop like this? Maybe she had a sister who forced her to go buy dresses too. Oddly, he felt calmer around skaa women than he did the noble variety and crossed to stand beside the window, looking out. As he did, he made an effort as though not to dismiss the two ladies offhandedly.

"Would you e-excuse me... l-ladies, I , ah... thought I saw Lord Tekiel outside."

Edited by Lyrebon, 21 November 2011 - 01:49 AM.

#8 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:23 AM

Sanna turned from her impishly beguiling study of the redheaded nobleman at Luci's familiar voice. Another second and she pounced, pulling her friend into a hug before she held her at arm's length to take her in. "Luci!" A smile lit up her face, the happiness that Luci seemed to be able to kindle every time rising to a warm glow. "Luci, Luci, Luci, if you learn secrets like that you ought to keep them to yourself. You're worse than Aldwin."

Her eyes darted back to Kaled at his answer; he now seemed to be panicking a little. And although she tried, Sanna really could not help the peal of laughter that broke through. Because he was absolutely unable to meet their eyes at all, and he was going even more crimson than before while his gaze sought almost desperately for some form of escape. Luci's wink had evidently done some damage. He managed a response, stuttering badly over the words, and Sanna shared a glance with Luci, grinning at the other girl, as the nobleman retreated to the window.

Wait, what was that? He saw Lord Tekiel?

"Oh, don't tell me he followed me here!" she exclaimed, darting up to look out the window next to Kaled. "I swear, Aldwin, I'll wring your neck if you have - oh, and by the by, you needn't worry, I take it as a compliment, mist-driven wretches and all. Where did you see my coz?"

#9 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:50 AM

This wasn't getting easier but at least the hyper one kept the brash woman preoccupied. At the window he had time to study the street beyond, wondering at a noble mind. What conniving plots were brewing in secret and did any of them think past their own gain? Wealth and power were a commodity in this city; in the home of the Lord Ruler one would expect only prestige from the Great Houses. Kaled hadn't yet been to any balls, the rebuilding of the Valoren household took up most of his time when he wasn't running around being Aurele's lapdog. He protested but in truth he'd rather be out and away from her. Far away.

He sighed a little, thinking back to the events he'd just experienced and how foolish he felt. Why could he never remain composed around women? He hoped he never would be this bad all his life, especially not if Garren planned to wed him to a greater House in one of his political manouvers. Wishing for another battle he quested back to Belinsk - the fire raging over a dying city, metal clanging on metal and ripping through armour to exposed flesh. Not the most modest of moments in life but Kaled hadn't felt surer than when he had held a sword or a spear. He had led men without fear, had driven them hard in training but always garnered their respect as a good leader.

Now, here in Luthadel, where a public mugging was about the biggest "battle" there was, he felt uncomfortable. But it was't just the battle he'd desired... it was the one thing he never took away from that place. He could lose a home, those could be regained anywhere. But some things when lost were gone forever. Glancing at the skaa girl he felt sorrow for her. What did she have to bear each day while he played at being her master? He tried to smile at her but it felt forced.

Movement to his side. The pink dress swooped in and Kaled winced. Here comes another bout of "my lady" broken with "uhms" and "ahs." Instead, she seemed more focused on the street, maybe trying to gauge what Kaled had found fascinating. Even his expression of reminiscense might seem the complete opposite to her.

But she was asking about Tekiel for some reason. Wondering where Kaled had seen... oh. He remembered his flustering when he had randomnly called out Tekiel's name in haste. But she called him her cousin? Then she was a Tekiel too? Oh bloody marvellous choice of words, Kaled.

"I didn't see him. Sorry to get your hopes up but I was... was... I was embaressed!" And he felt even more so now for having shouted that last part. Scratching behind his ear he located a bit of gall in his nether regions to extend more courtesy to the lady than he had.

"I'm Kaled. House Valoren. Mistwraith of female bloody interaction."

Edited by Lyrebon, 21 November 2011 - 02:54 AM.

#10 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:07 AM

"Oh, you're not so bad as all that," Luci said, gliding up on his other side. "You don't lurch around, and you can actually talk, and you most definitely haven't tried to eat us yet, so I'd say you're infinitely better company than a Mistwraith."

She grinned. "I'm Lucille Deveaux, and this is my dear friend Sanna Tekiel. It's a pleasure to meet you, Lord Kaled."

Posted Image

#11 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:40 AM

He had outright lied as an excuse for escape, but he did say so quite forthrightly, though he looked even more embarrassed after he confessed. She wondered idly just how red he could turn, and considered doing experiments to find out, but gave up the idea only half-formed. That would be picking on the defenseless. Kaled was almost hopelessly awkward, but it was rather appealing in its own way. For better or worse he'd caught her attention and now he was going to have to suffer through her assistance.

"Well, no Aldwin, that's a relief," Sanna remarked, "otherwise he'd be buying me too many dresses again. Lord Kaled, is it?" She dipped in a graceful curtsey. She was not familiar with House Valoren, but that wasn't particularly important to the situation.

"Also," she added to what Luci had said, "you're honest, since you actually owned up to that. That counts for a good deal. And you called me beautiful, which is another mark in your favour, although that might just be part of honesty." She grinned at him for a moment, completely unabashed, then leaned around him to catch Luci's eye.

"Luci, he's looking for a dress for his sister. I stepped in to help him out."

#12 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:55 AM

He was gaining some measure of courage, that was good. Sanna, as she was introduced, and Lucille had all the traits of a charismatic lady of the court, but it irked him that they tugged at his shyness in, he suspected, a playful manner. But what else could he do? He glanced from Lucille to Sanna, both stunning. Could there be a way to overcome his weakness? Cursing was helping, making him feel like he was surrounded by the company of his men. Men... that was it!

Imagine her as a man. Easy. He glanced at the pink clad woman, her seductive features; somber hair framing a face accentuated by light dabs of make-up. He tore away from her. No. He couldn't imagine her as a man. OK, what now? Having to think on the spot was his speciality but if he didn't come up with something soon, these women would have their meal of him.

Still he thought of them as the stunning individuals and, sadly, women, that they were. He gritted his teeth in annoyance. Would Sanna mind if he openly asked her to act like a man for awhile? She was an open person but surely even a request like that would earn you a few glares.

Better idea. Instead of just imagining, I could convince myself she actually is a man! Maybe. There was always a risk with every chance but he considered his luck with the dice to be more than fair. Perhaps that would manifest here, now. In that whimsical expression of muse he saw the hair becoming fake - clip ons well hidden by a tangle of hair, or a wig. Imagined, more than imagined, the hard masculine lines in the jaw and cheekbone. He held his gaze well, trying not to look like he was concentrating, instead placating his features to appear thoughtful.

With an effort, he was there. The she had become he and he almost laughed at the ingenuity of it. Staring at Sanna, him, Kaled grinned. He tried to ignore the fact that a man was wearing a dress but whatever. Not my business what a man bloody wears.

"Yes. My sister is a rather demanding lady. Just imagine someone in the employ of the Steel Ministry sending her own brother to do her bloody laundry." His flat voice suggested heavy tones of sarcasm and, only known to him, disdain.

Edited by Lyrebon, 21 November 2011 - 04:59 AM.

#13 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:05 AM

The Steel Ministry? Lucille blinked for a moment, unsure what an obligator would want with a fancy gown. How strange. But then, maybe she wasn't an obligator? Perhaps she was a contractor for... something.

"Well, what can you do?" she asked with a shrug, shifting the satchel that hung from her shoulder. "At least she didn't send an actual mistwraith, hm? Now, what sort of thing is she looking for? We'll help you find it."

Posted Image

#14 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:13 AM

At her comment he glowered at Lucille, until he realised the veil he'd used for Sanna hadn't been employed on Lucille yet. He felt his nerves twitching and he tried to steady it with a hard swallow.

"Dress!" He almost whispered it and cleared his throat as if it was normal but shuddered at his resignation for glancing away. "She's after something that, in her words, will "turn the men's heads in court." The dressmaker has the measurements and style."

And he breathed. He'd actually said it all without stuttering. A minor victory. Could have been a complete victory had he not said it all in one breath and struggled towards the end.

#15 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:56 AM

At first Kaled looked at her closely, and then his eyes had darted away uncomfortably with a renewed blush. Sanna considered teaching him to actually look her in the eye. If she simply moved to wherever he was looking, he would rapidly learn to either accept a completely ridiculous situation or else meet her gaze. It would help him quite a bit, she suspected.

Then, however, his eyes returned to her, with an oddly lingering stare, and something seemed to change in his manner. She looked at him consideringly, wondering what had become of his naive, uncertain hesitation and how it had been replaced by this more bold, direct regard. This had not been quite what she had in mind. Then he spoke, his words laden with a bite of unexpected sarcasm. Sanna's eyebrows shot up her forehead.

As he looked to Luci, he almost looked angry; no, he was positively glaring at her! Sanna rapped him lightly on the wrist, frowning at him in turn. "Don't glare so at Luci," she told him with a little severity in her voice, "it's not her fault you were sent out here unprepared! There's no sense in scowling over it, Lord Kaled; you may as well grin and bear it, you know."

She tilted her head to exactly the right angle, and allowed her eyelashes to half-shutter again over her blue-grey gaze, frown softening into a smile. "Now, as to turning men's heads," she remarked, "that is our speciality as ladies." Since he had now taken to looking her right in the eyes, she could use them to full effect - and she knew precisely how to do that.

"With expert help, your job will be much easier. So smile, don't act like a thundercloud."

#16 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:59 PM

Sanna interjected as he was relaxing his glare for Lucille, realising it might have been too put on. It just made him feel worse for acting so immature; it wasn't Lucille's fault. Infact, the teasing he deserved but how was she to know Kaled was frustrated with other things.

"I'm sorry... I... it was puerile of me." He sighed, directing his apologies to Lucille and grimacing at the "lord" title. He couldn't run away from that but he couldn't just ask everyone to stop using it either. These people would be lost without their fancy titles and formalities. It helped establish a pecking order. An order one with the name of Valoren found themselves well under after the uprising.

With Sanna he was able to maintain his decorum, infact he seemed more in control now than ever with a woman in presence. With a bit of force he figured he could send his emotions into over-drive, but it was curious that now, of all time, he should be able to handle his anxiety with increasing ease.

"So what would you suggest, my lord?" Looking at Sanna directly he admired the craft of his dress, abating other thoughts of wonderment. Men shouldn't be wearing dresses, but despite being flamboyant and Kaled preferring non-descript clothing, Sanna had a near perfect fashion sense.

Edited by Lyrebon, 21 November 2011 - 07:42 PM.

#17 Nell

• Tutor's Assistant

House Raisaal
  • Age20

• OriginLakeside

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:29 PM

Nell continued to browse through the dresses. Across the shop, there was a disturbance, and Nell did her best to avert her gaze (she didn't want to meddle in anyone's business) but not before she noticed another noblewoman had entered the shop. This one was just as pretty as the first one, and her gown was just as fine. The newcomer also had a radiant smile and the most gorgeous shade of dark brown hair. Nell idly ran her fingers down a stray strand that had come out of her bun and tucked it behind her ear. What would it be like to have those tight shiny ringlets in that rich chocolate color?

The man seemed to be growing agitated, so after one last look at the brown haired woman's dress, Nell turned back to the dresses. She overheard someone mention House Tekiel. That meant they were from great houses, or at least involved with them. She didn't want to get into trouble for meddling with anyone of such a high rank.

So, she focused all her attention on the gowns, losing herself in the fantasy, adding a story to each gown. There was a gorgeous blue one displayed on a mannequin. It wouldn't be worn for just any ball. Not this one. This was the gown of Lady Cordelia, a beautiful woman who wore her hair in rich brown ringlets. As a baby, she had been abducted by skaa rebels for ransom, and had been raised all her life without any knowledge of who she really was. Recently, she'd been rescued by a handsome adventurer with fire in his hair. On the journey to Luthadel, the two had fallen in love.

Her rescuer was also of a noble house, and an accomplished scholar besides. Through a combination of skill, knowledge, and luck, he discovered Cordelia's true heritage, revealing her to be the sole heir of a Great House. This was the gown she would wear to her homecoming ball, where she and her hero would announce their engagement and begin to dance the night away...

The music began to play in Nell's head, and she began to unknowingly hum softly to herself. As she moved on to the next dress, adding to Cordelia's story, her foot step was soft and graceful. Still humming, she began to dance her way through the store, oblivious to what else was going on.

She realized what she was doing only when she bumped into the flustered young man. Instantly, she was yanked back to the real world, and felt her face grow red.

"I am so sorry milord," she said, bowing respectfully. "I was being clumsy I didn't mean to.... that is... I..." suddenly, Nell realized her arms were empty. "Oh my packages!" Looking, she found them on the ground. She grabbed for them, trying her best to feel if they were all right. If she disappointed Barty now, he would never take her to the Elariel ball.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

Kaled didn't have to say anything more but neither could Sanna extend to him the wisdom of dress-making that was undoubtedly a talent for one wearing such an... elegant dress. Poised to listen, Kaled felt a soft bump and was surprised to find the skaa girl. Lost in thought and walked into Kaled without realising it seemed. She was in the midst of an ordinate bow - Kaled scowled at the title again. Come a day he could ask to be called just "Kaled" or even "mister." At least that had less pomp than "lord" that he could bear.

Before he could respond, the young girl exclaimed the loss of her packages. He had noticed her carrying a bundle when he'd glanced over to her earlier that was omitted from her present image. She found them, obvious relief warming her features. She was cute, but the darkness within he called guilt rooted his attentions; she was skaa! And like that the anger, the frustration he'd been feeling, manifested the desire to scream out his heritage.

Why should he reside in comfort and have a good life while the skaa lived a live of servitude? He was half-skaa himself, a secret to the known world. What gave him the right to sit atop his throne and command those considered beneath his shoe? He couldn't conform to that thought - hence where the sickening feeling arose from. He just couldn't!

Jaw clenched, he released the tension in his hands, preventing digging the nails into flesh any further. In a moment he'd righted himself, but couldn't abate the guilt and, worse, the memories of those he couldn't protect. He looked down at the floor, the sad expression involuntarily painted for anyone watching. He didn't care. For once, one thing more than bloody women bothered him. But still he made the effort to speak to the skaa, voice free of the usual noble condescension, though he figured his words would be rough after spending so long around Matthias.

"Don't fret girl. Accidents happen, and I think you might have steeled my nerves a little too." He indicated the finely dressed ladies, Sanna and Lucille, obviously aware that she would have overheard the entire exchange since she'd walked in.

He sighed. He was doing that a lot he noticed. Sensing the unease he tried to familiarise with her, but kept his reproach for whatever noble had made her go buy supplies out of his voice.

"And don't call me "lord," we're not in court. Kaled will be fine."

Edited by Lyrebon, 21 November 2011 - 09:17 PM.

#19 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:31 PM

For the moment, Sanna was completely lost for words. My Lord? She almost thought she must have misheard, but no, that had definitely been what he said; he had called her my Lord. Her mouth dropped open, simply flabbergasted, and there was a very, very brief moment of horrified panic that she tamped down. There was absolutely no way that Kaled had somehow figured out the truth. Certainly not with the way he had been looking at her.

Combined with the disdain in his voice, she understood it to be a calculated insult. She still could not understand why he had done it; it had taken her off guard. Sanna shot a disbelieving, outraged glance at Luci, her mouth working with the search for a response that did not come. How…really…how dare he?

He was not even aware of her reaction, he had turned to deal with the young skaa girl who had accidentally bumped into him. And Sanna, of course, could not help overhearing what he said to the girl, and the tone he took as he asked her not to call him Lord. Kaled, he said, would be fine.

It took Sanna a moment to process, as the only conclusion she could reach was a profoundly unpleasant one. Was this one of the noblemen who enjoyed being on…more intimate terms with skaa girls? Hence why he seemed so much more comfortable around this newcomer…a natural familiarity…Kaled’s behaviour, in this light, now took on a predatory character.

Sanna’s expression froze from indignance to something much harder, and she stepped neatly in between the two of them as the girl scrabbled to pick up her packages from the ground. “Child,” she said gently to the skaa girl, “you should hurry home, and try not to stop along your way.”

“And you,” she rounded on Kaled, eyes snapping with anger as she drew herself up to her full height, “I suppose that Ministry sister of yours makes it easy to take care of any evidence, doesn’t she?” There was nothing she could do about it, of course – he would go on and select some other target later - but she made her contempt very plain in voice and expression. Noblemen who preyed on skaa girls were truly low in her estimation. Anyone who, for pure physical gratification, would potentially end the life of a completely defenseless creature…well, there was a word for that. Slime.

“Here is what I suggest, Kaled Valoren.” She gave the name not the familiarity of friendship, but the contemptuous familiarity used by a superior to someone far beneath her. “Go and chase your appetites somewhere else, not here in front of us.” As for the insult he had given her, personally…It was really not even possible to address that. She left it untouched. This was more significant in any case.

#20 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

"Honestly. And right out in the open, too." Luci sniffed, glaring sidelong at the young lordling with an expression of sharp disdain. To any self-respecting Deveaux, pursuing that sort of encounter with a skaa was like doing so with an animal, if not worse. Absolutely disgusting.

But then, he hadn't shown much regard for them at all, since the very beginning. She didn't mind speaking kindly to those of lower rank, but she expected a little common decency and etiquette from anyone, no matter the rank. This boy was blatantly rude, and apparently a pervert besides. It made her wonder what he had been thinking when looking at her and Sanna with that embarrassed look on his face, and her cheeks grew red with indignation at the very thought. How dare he!

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users