The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
» Forum Rules
» The Story Thus Far
» Character Application
» Frequently Asked Questions
» Character System Guide
» Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
» The Three Metallic Arts
» Guide to the Final Empire
» Map of Luthadel
» The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
» Introduce Yourself
» Universal Continuity Thread
» The Timeline
» Adoptable Characters
» Wanted Characters
» Face Registry
» Open Threads List

Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Warren Proulx

5 replies to this topic

#1 Warren Proulx

Skaa

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:45 AM

Warren Proulx
Noble Misting

Player Information
Name/Handle: Weiry
OoC Account: WeiryWriter
Contact Information:

Character Information
Name: Warren Proulx
Type: Noble
Place of Origin: Belinsk, Farmost Dominance
Relationship Status: Single

Powers
-Type: Misting
-Metal Used: Tin
-Degree of Skill: Novice

Appearance: Warren is around 5'6" and is rather slight of build. His eyes are a washed-out blue. His hair is a pale blond, which is cropped short. He generally wears a hat to help himself blend in; his hair sticks out in the dark environment that is Luthadel. He is soft-spoken, with a tenor voice. He is moderately good-looking, in a boyish sort of way. That and his short stature lead most to think he is younger than he is.

Special Skills: The ability to read lips and observation (can tell with a reasonable level of reliability if a person is lying)
Strengths: Warren's greatest strength is his firm knowledge of himself. He is not susceptible to others attempting to trick him. He is however more than proficient at bringing people to support him. The only martial ability he has any sill with is throwing knives, he can hit a boxing out of the air from thirty paces.
Weaknesses: Warren's main weakness is his sheer ignorance of Luthadel politics, something he plans on correcting. He is not strong physically. He relies on others for his safety, once attackers get to close.

Personality: Warren is one who likes to observe from the outside; though when he feels it is necessary he will join the action (whether physical or metaphorical). He is a passive individual; however he is not a pacifist.

As his brother loves to remind him, he is a "hopeless romantic" who does not really see the world as it is but as it could be. When he sees a chance to bring the real world closer to his view he takes it.

He has a remarkably strong fear of mistwraiths, so while he prefers he prefers the quiet tranquility of the country, he is more commonly found in cities leaving him conflicted.

History: Warren was born in 898 to Byron and Faye Proulx, their second son. His early years, while far from perfect, were than most. His parents had married for love, and they shared that love with their children. Marlon and Warren got along fairly well, despite their differences. Marlon is the practical one, preferring to deal with the concrete rather than abstract; while Warren is the idealist.

From ages six to eighteen he was tutored in a variety of subjects; mathematics, history, and philosophy to name a few. While certainly not a scholar is likely slightly more learned than the average noble at his age.

When he was around ten his family went for a picnic in the country, Warren got separated from the rest of them and was unable to find them before nightfall and the arrival of the mists. He searched for his family but instead ran head on into a particularly gruesome mistwraith (as in actually into said mistwraith), at which point he snapped, (which while helping find his way back did not help with the experience of touching a mistwraith).

During his early teens it was decided that he should learn how to defend himself, if he ever had need. Unfortunately he showed absolutely no aptitude for anything. That is until one day the man attempting to teach him to fight with knives made an offensive remark as he was leaving the room. Angered, threw one of his knives at the trainer which struck him on the back of the head. Luckily it struck with pommel and not the blade, though at the time Warren didn't think of it that way. After that the trainer decided training Warren wasn't hopeless after all and focuses exclusively on throwing knives with Warren.

At around fifteen he began accompanying his elder brother to various balls and other social events hosted by the Houses in Belinsk. He has been scolded numerous times by his brother for enjoying the balls to much. He sees the balls as a way to interact with other nobles his age, not as an arena for political machinations.

A few years later Belinsk was rocked by a fire that destroyed much of the city. Luckily the Proulx’ manor was outside of the city proper and so escaped the physical devastation. No one, not even the Proulx could escape the social and political devastation. For the next few months they opened their residence to the Head families of Tallier and Bellamy whose residences had been partially destroyed.

It was around that time that the first cracks began to appear in his father's sanity. He began to refer to events that no one else remembered, conducting conversations with thin air. Halfway between Warren's 19th and 20th birthdays his condition began to deteriorate more rapidly, mostly loosing contact with the world outside his own mind. He is mostly kept secluded; the House not wanting it known their Head is insane. When public appearances are unavoidable he is kept under control by Marlon's Soothing which is hidden by Faye's Coppercloud. As Acting-Head, Marlon sent Warren to Luthadel in order to foster good relations with the Houses there.

Roleplay Sample

The manor was quiet.

Unusually so, and the silence was only magnified by the snow fall outside. Warren watched from the window in his father's office, his father's former office. You would think things so large would make some sort of sound. And yet? Nothing...

A noise, like scratching came from the door, startling Warren out of his reverie. The door opened, giving entrance to Warren's father, followed closely by his brother. Byron Proulx had once been a great man, not that anyone could tell. Even his family sometimes forgot, of course they were the only ones that knew what was truly happening. Byron seemed almost normal, but the lack of recognition in his father's eyes and look of concentration on his brother's face told him it was just the Soothing.

"You wanted to see me Marlon?"

"Yes, just one moment," he turned to Byron, "I have to speak with Warren for a little while. Why don't you sit and look out the window at the snow?" Byron made a noise that was vaguely affirmative. Marlon returned his focus to his brother, "I don't know how much longer we can keep up this charade."

"Well, it's not as if we have a choice. If House Proulx shows even a hint of weakness the other Houses will swarm. Even our allies will attack until our House is destroyed or subservient to one of them."

"The other Houses are already suspicious; we can't keep refusing requests for father's presence. Contracts have already begun to decline," Warren must have looked worried as Marlon continued, "Not enough to impact our wealth, but it does mean something." Marlon looked momentarily at their father, "I may have at least a temporary fix though it involves you making a trip..."

"Oh please tell me where," Warren replied. Clever, try to make me see no hope and then offer a solution, my curiosity is peaked.

"Luthadel"

"WHAT! You want to send me halfway across the Empire now? Could you have possibly picked a worse time!"

"I know, I know. But before we can go public with father's condition we need to have enough power that the other Houses wouldn't dare to attack us. For that we need more money. Which means going to Luthadel."

"Okay, but why me?"

"Mother and I are both needed here to keep up the ruse. And you are the only one who knows the truth that I trust as our Houses representative. Hopefully we will not only get Contracts with the Houses in Luthadel but the news might stimulate local interest as well."

"Very well, when am I to leave?"

"Tomorrow, Zahid has already begun packing your things."

Warren sighed, Of course he has. He gave one last look to his father at the window. The snow was still falling but it was mixed with a bit of ash as well.

Edited by WeiryWriter, 30 November 2011 - 05:39 PM.

user posted image

#2 Chaos

High House Noble

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:40 PM

Warren, character-wise, seems fine, but I'd like it in the history mentioning the stuff that happened in Belinsk three years ago. Maybe just a short paragraph describing what they did and all. After all, even if they try to remain secluded politically, you still tend to notice when koloss attack your city and it goes up in flames.

#3 WeiryWriter

Skaa

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

Okay added it, I must have missed that when I was reading about Belinsk.

#4 Chaos

High House Noble

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

Oops, I just realized this was totally my fault. Another new member, Wraith, had asked for more info on Belinsk and the fire, and I posted it in his introduction: http://mistbornrpg.1...p?showtopic=639

Of course you would never think to look there, so that's totally my bad. I guess I thought you were him for some reason.

EDIT: I liked what you wrote about Belinsk. If you wanted to change anything now that you read that post I linked you to, you can go for it, but I think it's fine now. I'm ready to accept him if you are :P

Edited by Chaos, 30 November 2011 - 06:22 PM.

#5 WeiryWriter

Skaa

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

I'm fine with it as well.

#6 Chaos

High House Noble

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

All right! You are accepted!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users