The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Gremlin Hunt

W2 D1 NT Klyde Camille Deveaux Zincell Khaelys

59 replies to this topic

#1 Klyde

• Crewleader

House Raisaal
  • Age31

• Relationship StatusSeparated / It's Complicated

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

Klyde continued through the mists, looking for the meeting place. After his encounter with the large skaa blacksmith he'd sobered up enough to realize Cassi had left directions for where and when to meet her. I need to stop drinking. He was lucky she hadn't just decided to cut all ties and leave him with nothing. Right now, Cassi was his best hope of finding Delissia and without her, he wasn't sure if he could find her in time.

Khaelys still was nowhere to be seen, likely still hovering over their heads, keeping a lookout for danger. Klyde looked over at the girl trailing beside him, and realized he had not asked her for her name.

"I'm Klyde, by the way. Your name is?"

#2 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:58 PM

"Zincell" She said, smiling. The night was turning out great. Sure she was with two criminals, probable murderers and whatnot, but this was the Final Empire. The idea of money, of learning more about how the underground worked, and of getting a job in Luthadel were all too good to let the possibly deathly danger spoil it, and there were the one and a half goldminds she had on in case anything went horribly wrong.
user posted image

#3 Klyde

• Crewleader

House Raisaal
  • Age31

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:55 PM

"Zincell," repeated Klyde, tasting the name. It had a definite Terris sound to it. Rather than wonder about it anymore, Klyde decided just to ask. The girl seemed open enough, and he was pretty sure he didn't have anything to lose. She already knew too much about him anyways.

"That sounds like a Terris name. You from up north? I visited Tathingdwen once. It was bloody cold."

#4 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:42 AM

Zincell frowned for a moment.

Part of her was scared he'd sell her out to obligators and she'd end up excecuted or worse... but with the things she'd gone through in the past few years, she was pretty sure she could get out of it one way or another. She was already walking with criminals and expecting to get work with them, better get to know eachother, right?

"... Yeah. You can put 'can put up with cold temperatures' in my skill list if you want" Zincell told him with a smile.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 02 December 2011 - 08:59 PM.

user posted image

#5 Klyde

• Crewleader

House Raisaal
  • Age31

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

Klyde nodded. The girl had confirmed his guesses without giving a single scrap of extra information away. She was obviously practiced at keeping her mouth shut. A useful skill in general, and vital in the underground. Klyde was about to interrogate her more when he realized he was nearing the place Cassi had mentioned in her note. All right then, let's do this. The wine he'd shared with Khaelys had soothed some of his nerves, but he was nowhere close to being drunk. Cassi would not find him to be such a pitiful adversary this time around.

"All right," he said, halting. "This is the spot where you and Khaelys are going to wait. The informant I'm visiting is kind of touchy. If I bring more people than I'm supposed to, she's likely to stick throw a rat at them or something. Or a knife. She seems to like her knives." Klyde shivered as the image of the creepy little girl grinning as she raised the skewered rat on her knife.

Shaking his head, he turned his attention back to his companions. "That goes for you too Khaelys," he called lightly, hoping the kid was in earshot. "Remember our agreement." If he dropped down at the wrong time in the wrong place, Klyde might never find Delissia.

He was almost late, so rather than wait for Khaelys to respond, Klyde turned back to Zincell. "Sorry to leave you alone, but like I said, this Cassi character is particular and a bit touched in the head. The kid is hovering somewhere around here. If you ask nicely, he might come down and fill you in on everything I haven't had time to elaborate on. I'd do it myself, but right now, I really have to go."

#6 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

Zincell nodded and stayed were she was as Klyde moved toward the meeting place. Then she started tapping her hearing tinmind. She had enough for over two hours, maybe four if she didn't overdo it. If Klyde didn't want her to go with him out of concern for her safety, then she'd stay put. That didn't mean she couldn't listen in.
user posted image

#7 Camille Deveaux

• Daughter of Lord Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age18

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:52 AM

Cassi yawned.

It was late, and Camille had been very busy very late last night, and then all day today. Meanwhile, Cassi had the next couple nights booked solid. Major events were some of Cassi's most expensive time slots. Information was at a premium at those times, which meant she could charge more. Normally, her clients often had to beg to get a prime slot like this one. She'd given it to His Ladyship to teach him the price of information.

She couldn't help but wonder if he knew yet what had happened to Teffa. A tragedy, that. The girl had been found brutally stabbed in an alley - with, of all things, a dead rat, also stabbed to death, clutched in one hand.

A violent end, but a fitting one, all things considered. Teffa had known the price of breaking the rules.

And it was time His Ladyship learned them as well, if they were going to be working together. That was the real purpose of this meeting, so far as Cassi was concerned: she needed to lay the groundwork, and then they could get down to business. It was important to get a professional relationship started on the right foot, after all.

In the distance, she could hear His Ladyship talking to someone. She was too far away to hear who, but it didn't matter. She shifted, reaching for the rusty knife she kept under her cloak. If he was stupid enough to bring someone else along with him, there was going to be trouble. She had to put this drunkard in his place, or her entire operation could be at risk.

Still and silent in the mists, Cassi waited.

Posted Image

#8 Klyde

• Crewleader

House Raisaal
  • Age31

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

Klyde left Zincell where she was, and stalked carefully up to the arranged meeting place. He kept his eyes moving and his knives ready. He hadn't seen Khaelys in a while, and he was still wary of a trap. Perhaps Cassi had set it up herself, to get rid of him. No, he thought. She could have gotten rid of me last night, when I was drunk. If she'd wanted to end things she woudln't have been fooling around with that rat. Even though she was crazy, Cassi didn't seem like one who fooled around. Definitely the type who went right for the throat.

She was in for a surprise though if she thought Klyde was going to be the drunkard he had been the night before. He might have been easy to intimidate then, but the sober Klyde would prove to be a more formidable opponent. Or so he hoped.

Cassi was so small and crouchy that Klyde didn't see her at first in the mists. When he did notice her, Klyde made a point not to jump or give any indication he was startled. Still keeping his knives ready, Klyde faced her ally. He'd memorized the small note she'd left with him as soon as his head had stopped pounding and then destroyed it. The code words were 'lovely' and 'Ladyship'.

"You look lovely tonight, your Ladyship," he said softly. In reality, she looked like the worst the creepy side of mist-gremlin land could spit up, but 'mist-gremlin' and 'creepy' weren't the code words. "I hope you are having a pleasant evening."

#9 Camille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age18

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:35 PM

"Oh, pleasant enough," Cassi said with a casual, lopsided grin, resting back against the wall of the alley. She still had her hand on her knife, though. "Now that I know you're smart enough to come alone, that is. See that it stays that way."

She yawned again. "Terrible what happened to Teffa, though. Poor thing. I guess she didn't have what it takes to survive after all. Do you have it, Ladyship?" she asked with a grin. "I wonder."

Posted Image

#10 Klyde

• Crewleader

House Raisaal
  • Age31

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:47 PM

Klyde had no idea what had happened to Teffa. It took him a moment to realize what she had to do with anything. Right... she gave me the codewords. Cassi did not seem to be a person who took leaks lightly, so whatever had happened to Teffa it likely wasn't pleasant.

Klyde decided to play it cool. If he could give the impression of having more information than he really did, perhaps it would give him some bargaining power later. Teffa's fate did niggle at his conscience a little, but this was the underground. Sacrifices had to be made, and Klyde was used to making them. As he responded, he scanned the scene, making a blue print in his head, plotting out a possible escape plan should he need one.

"Such is the way of the world we inhabit," he said with a casual shrug. "If you start with nothing and want to get something in life, that something has to come from somewhere. There's always a price, and if you're stupid enough to be the one paying it, then you deserve to lose the game."

Klyde shifted his stance slightly so he could take in the other side of the alley and loosen one of his knives. He noticed Cassi's hand was in its customary position. She was ready for anything, so he wanted to be too.

"As for myself, I think I've got a bit more play left in me. You have my information, I assume?"

#11 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:04 AM

Khaelys lowered himself in the mists. He stared down at the outline of the girl beneath him. She was quite pretty. Exceptionally, some might say. Its a wonder that she isn't in a whorehouse right now. Khaelys despised the places. All the disease and sadness. Often he felt that it was his duty to destroy them. Some other time perhaps.

He fell lower into the mists. He could just make out the face of the girl. Very pretty.

"You know," Khaelys whispered, barely audible, "that Klyde is a strange fellow. Some call him a drunk. Some say he is a liar. Some say he is brilliant. I am not sure what to make of him just yet. I'm Khaelys by the way."

Zincell her name was. A funny name. Probably Terris.
user posted image

#12 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:47 AM

"Pleasure to meet you Khaelys, I'm Zincell" She said with a respectful nod, still tapping her tinmind for hearing and paying close attention to what Klyde and Cassi were talking about.

"So, do you want to fill me in on anything you and Klyde talked about in the bar or do we talk about the weather?" She said with a shrug absent-mindedly while listening at Cassi and Klyde's conversation.
user posted image

#13 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:58 AM

Oh! Pretty and a sharp tongue If Khaelys was in any other situation, he would have been smitten. However, he knew love couln't last. Not in this world anyway. He knew he was in no position for love. He had to learn that years ago. The underground did that to you.

"Ha. Well, besides the weather and the latest noble garb, both of which Klyde is so fond of talking about, we didn't talk about much. We talked about Lekal and how he was the boss. But what about you? Where did Lekal find you in this hell hole we call Luthadel?"
user posted image

#14 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:12 AM

"Possibly in a rooftop" She said thoughtlessly, remembering the conversation she'd had with that noble that may or may not have come from a great house. Without thinking, her accent was now in its natural half-neutral half-terris tones.

"Though I don't really have anything against Lekal, or any other great house. I'm more interested in information really." She smiled and paused, listening intently to the conversation for a few seconds before turning her attention back to Khaelys. "Though the money is a good incentive if I'm being honest, which I am. Money, and learning are my main interests if you want to know. Main reason why I came to Luthadel"

She paused again, half waiting for Khaelys to say something, half listening to the conversation Klyde was having. Who the hell was Teffa?

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 13 January 2012 - 06:18 PM.

user posted image

#15 Camille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age18

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:44 AM

"You just sit pretty, Ladyship," Cassi drawled. "I have what you asked for. But! You're getting ahead of yourself." Her grin deepened. "I have rules, see. Rules designed to protect the... discreet... nature of the goods I deal in. Among other things, of course.

"By using my services, you agree to abide by terms, to put it nice and pretty for you. Otherwise..." She shrugged. "New clients are easy to come by. Now, given what happened to your poor friend, I thought you might like to hear said terms before we continue. Otherwise, we're done here, and you can go on and buy yourself that new dress.

"So, Your Ladyship, what'll it be? Do we have a deal?"

Posted Image

#16 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:15 AM

Khaelys thought for a second. If she had met a Lekal, there was a chance ... Khaelys would keep an eye on her. Just in case.

"So, Zincell. Terris huh?" Khaelys chuckled. "When I first heard you, I thought you were an inquisitor. All that metal on you? I had counted myself dead. Betrayed by Klyde." Khaelys had vowed to trust Klyde. However, Khaelys knew when the time came, he would be betrayed. Everyone was betrayed in time.

"Well, Its good to have a terriswoman." Khaelys dropped softly to the ground beside Zincell with a smile. "Nobles all trust you." Khaelys looked at her for a second, and smiled even wider. "You'll be useful" he said with a wink.

Edited by Khaelys, 14 January 2012 - 05:20 AM.

user posted image

#17 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:29 AM

"Thanks" She said smiling. He was very nice, and had he just winked at her?

"I'm kind of new to the underworld so it's good that I won't be dead weight. Though I'd need some stewardess robes to really look the part"

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 14 January 2012 - 07:05 AM.

user posted image

#18 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:25 AM

"Oh, shouldn't be too hard to come by." Khaelys said with a smile. "Of course, we could probably just look on the street. Probably a dead steward somewhere."

Khaelys blushed. Dead on the street? I am known for a lot of things, but tact obviously isn't one of them

Khaelys looked in the Klyde's direction "Well, at any rate, the underworld isn't known for dead weight. So that begs the question. What can you do?" Khaelys looked at her and winked again. Winked?! What am I? A noble boy at his first ball?
user posted image

#19 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:38 AM

Zincell smiled.

"Well, I know a lot about a lot of things, and I could probably pass for a noblewoman well if I had to..." She said, trying to think of something, though her mind was starting to go blank.

"I, um... I can survive severe injuries without medical attention..." What else... what else? "I can run away very well and...um... I can do accents and... um... cook, sew, knit... be lookout... tend to wounds" She was blushing. Why was it so hard to think of things?

"I'm sure I can think of some more things if given the time..." Zincell looked down. Way to make a good first impression .
user posted image

#20 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:50 AM

Khaelys smiled. "Wow, what a wonderful way of acting like your talking and saying absolutely nothing about yourself" He smiled even wider.

Damn! What was it that made him so... vulnerable around women. So trusting. So weak.

"Well, I guess I'll start then. As you probably have guessed, I am a Coinshot. Im good with knives." Khaelys flipped out a knife, and put it away. "I am also a good scout, and a great cook. And besides my love of dramatic entrances, and my obvious good looks, thats pretty much it!"
user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users