The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Gremlin Hunt

W2 D1 NT Klyde Camille Deveaux Zincell Khaelys

59 replies to this topic

#21 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:02 AM

Acting like you're talking and saying absolutely nothing about yourself? Zincell sighed and blushed more. She probably looked like a pre-ascension tomato now, her ears felt like they were on fire. She filled brass at a slightly higher rate to get rid of the unpleasant heat, though the colour was likely still there. Still, the smile didn't seem to be leaving her face any time soon.

"Great" She said weakly. "You probably have a lot of experience then"

"I, uh... I can tell what kind of wood something is made of by touching it... does that count?" She asked. It was pretty simple to figure out what kind of tree craftmen got their woods from by touch alone. Even more so if she was tapping her tinmind.

"And I'm pretty good at not dying..." By the forgotten gods, why can't I say anything well?
user posted image

#22 Klyde

• Crewleader

Looking Good in Red
  • Age31

• Relationship StatusSeparated / It's Complicated

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:20 AM

Klyde eyed Cassi warily. The girl was trouble, that much was clear. Did he really know what he was getting into? Perhaps it would be better for him to walk away, cut his losses before he got in too deep. Taking a look at her creepy grin, he almost did just that. But then, he remembered the last time he had seen Delissia. It had been in Fadrex at a ball. He'd caught sight of her just in time to see her exit out another direction. By the time he made it through the press of bodies, she was gone without a trace. For some reason or another, things were better with her. Plans went more smoothly than normal, he didn't need to gamble to get his thrills, and drink didn't seem as enticing as it normally did.

It was decided then. If it took dealing with the mist-gremlin to get Delissia back, Klyde would do whatever it took. That didn't mean he was going to let the little she-demon walk all over him either.

"What kind of terms?" he said cautiously. "Can't be too ridiculous. I don't see you as the type who'd track down information when she wasn't sure if her employer would agree to unreasonable terms." Klyde paused, licking his lips for a second. He was playing with fire here, and he knew it. "Unless, you don't really have what I'm looking for, and want to use some fanciful 'terms of an agreement' as an excuse for failing."

#23 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

Khaelys smiled, though she was obviously trying to hide something. Types of wood? That was too mundane to list as a "skill". No. She definitely was hiding something. Allomancy perhaps?

"While I could remain unseen and listen in to their conversation, I promised Klyde that I wouldn't spy in on them. And I am definately not a tineye." He looked into her eyes. Stunning.

Against his will, he averted his gaze. Stupid

"What do you think they are talking about?"
user posted image

#24 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

"Um... well they started by exchanging codewords or codephrases. Then this Cassi woman started making veiled threats and implying she'd done something to some Teffa person. Klyde heard that and apparently didn't care because he just said that's what this world is like, and that if someone had to pay a price, good thing it wasn't him." She rolled her eyes. Good to know the guy had basic decency down.

"Then he asked about whether or not she had his information and this woman has to be powerful because she got away with calling Klyde a lady. Then she starts saying that he better be willing to play by her rules, and Klyde says he may be. Depending on the rules, and on whether or not she has his info that is." It wasn't until she finished talking that she realized what she'd done.

Wasn't she over that habit of just answering question people had without thinking it twice? Stewardesses were taught to do as they were told and... apparently part of that was still engraved on her on some level. She'd have to work on that. She noticed Khaelys' reaction and tried to think of what to say.

"I, um... I have good ears..." She mumbled, looking down, her face getting back to that pre-ascension tomato red.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 22 May 2012 - 06:24 AM.

user posted image

#25 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:14 AM

Khaelys smiled "Now that's more like it." He caught a flash of fear on her face. "Oh! Don't worry! Your safe with me." He gave her the most convincing look he could, and then smiled. "Although, I never have heard of a Terris misting before."

Khaelys couldn't help but feel guilty. This was probably the girl's darkest secret. Yet he still coerced it out of her. Again. Tact

"I found out about mine when I was 4. My father was a hazekiller for a particularly wealthy house. My mum was skaa. Noble's don't like their men dallying with..." Khaelys paused for a second. "Well anyway, Lekal came one day for her. My dad tried to negotiate. Said she would be more useful in a brothel than in a grave. Lekal killed her anyway."

A tear fell down Khaelys' cheek.
user posted image

#26 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:42 AM

Zincell lowered her head in shame as her face became redder, if that was even possible. Her throat was tied up in a knot and she couldn't find anything to say. Here was yet another person who thought she was an allomancer, and he was sharing his snapping with her.

He was sharing his life with her and he was crying. She'd never been through what he'd been through. She couldn't know what to say, how to react. Zincell never thought she could feel so ashamed in her life.

"I'm... I..." She took a deep breath. She should have just stayed quiet. She should have made something up. "I, um..." Just say it already!

"The-there are no Terris allomancers... I, um..." She mumbled, with her eyes shit hard. "I'm not a misting"

Zincell let out a deep sigh still looking at the floor. "I, um... my... my abilities are... they, um... I... they're something different" She could still feel her throat tied up in a knot after saying that, and no matter how she filled brass there was a feeling in her head and ears as though they would explode soon that she couldn't get rid of. As if all the shame she just felt was about to physically burst out of her.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 16 January 2012 - 12:48 AM.

user posted image

#27 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:59 AM

Khaelys looked up "What? Of course there are. And what do you mean, different?"

Khaelys laughed internally. Khaelys, you my friend, are an imbecile. You talk to a girl that you have known a total of 5 minutes, and you get her to admit her deepest, darkest secret, and you tell her yours. Moron

Edited by Khaelys, 16 January 2012 - 12:59 AM.

user posted image

#28 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:25 AM

Zincell sighed.

"The people of Terris are bred, like horses, through breeding programs in Tathingdwen. There, obligators control the population. Every terrisman except for a select few is castrated very young, and all terris lives are overseen by obligators since their birth. Nobles can't have children with terrismen, and terriswomen can only have children with other breeders. There are no Terris allomancers because nobles simply don't have access terrispeople, and the only ones nobles even meet are unable to reproduce." She said, as though remembering it from a textbook.

"Half skaa exist because nobles interact with them often. You have the plantations, the whorehouses, even the streets. But terriswomen and terrismen aren't exposed to nobles in that way. Even if they were, obligators pay very close attention to the terris populace, unlike the skaa. If one dies, or one dissappears for an afternoon, or one spends time with nobles, it's noted, classified, and read in tripplicate." She sighed again.

"The reason you've never heard of Terris allomancers is because, plain and simple, they don't exist." She was still looking down, though the red had left her cheeks slightly.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 16 January 2012 - 06:06 AM.

user posted image

#29 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:45 AM

Khaelys laughed as he wiped the tears from his eyes. "Im sorry." He said, sincerely for once. "I didn't know." Breeding people like horses? How was it that he hadn't heard of this before. Perhaps there was a reason for the Terris people to be so secretive.

And then it hit him. His lack of sleep, his exerting himself, and his almost constant burn of steel. He was exhausted. When was the last time I found a bed?

"So, if you don't mind me asking, how did you hear them? If you're not a tineye, how..."
user posted image

#30 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:55 AM

"I could take you through the whole theory, and balance, etc, but I really shouldn't talk about it" She said with a shrug, thankfully feeling less ashamed now.

"The ministry pays close attention to my kind so the less is known the better" She didn't even know what happened to feruchemists. Torture to give out Keeper's secrets, then execution maybe? Probably something worse she wouldn't even think up.

She knew of another girl who wasn't accepted for the breeding program and was discovered to be a feruchemist. She just dissappeared, no one heard from her again. Though nothing had happened to the keepers, so she probably hadn't said anything. And Zincell had seen inquisitors heal wounds just like feruchemists did, that couldn't be a coincidence could it?

Zincell looked up, he was wiping tears from his eyes. "I'm sorry I- Maybe we should have talked about the weather..."

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 16 January 2012 - 09:53 PM.

user posted image

#31 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

"Oh no! That would have been mundane, normal, or proper. I will have none of that!" He added with a grin."And we would never hear the end from Klyde if we talked without him."

Khaelys smiled again. "So, tell me about these abilities. If you want, of course. Otherwise... Lovely weather we're having!"
user posted image

#32 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

"What? But that could ruin my air of mistery! My enigmatic flair... My abilities, older than the Lord Ruler himself and unknown to all but a select few, cannot be revealed to anyone." She said playfully.

"Not even handsome, friendly mistings such as youself" Zincell grinned, blushing still.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 17 January 2012 - 01:48 AM.

user posted image

#33 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:29 AM

"Oh well! Would you look at that sky! Beautiful, isn't it? Unseasonably mild." Khaelys added sarcastically. It was going to kill him to not know what the "secret power" was. But he had other metals to burn.

Whatever Zincell is, she is different. She has... something. Something new.

"How long has he been in there? They must be almost finished by now. Lets just hope he isn't dead."

Edited by Khaelys, 18 January 2012 - 05:30 AM.

user posted image

#34 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:06 AM

Zincell shrugged. "He's still alive, though they're not through yet..."

She tapped a bit more tin. Zincell hadn't paid much attention to Klyde's conversation over the last minute or four. Well, Klyde would mention the important parts later anyway, but it still wouldn't hurt to pay more attention to the rest of the conversation.
user posted image

#35 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:15 AM

Khaelys looked at the girl. She was quite pretty. He looked into her eyes. He was tempted. Very Tempted. Even enough to consider...

No! What are you thinking?! You can't keep doing this to yourself! You know where it ends. Yet, even as he told himself this, he wanted her more. But, he could not be loved. Vidette had made that abundantly clear. Besides. What would a girl as beautiful as that, want with a guy like him?

He wanted warn her. Tell her to get away from the Underworld. To get away from Lutadel. Away from him. People had an annoying habit of dying around Khaelys. Especially women. Like Vidette.

"Why did you come to Luthadel, Zincell?"
user posted image

#36 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:27 AM

"To learn..." She said, still blushing. Khaelys probably thought it was silly or meaningless or the like. After all, when having enough to eat and surviving day to day are your top priorities, it's quite unlikely you'd care about learning.

"Luthadel is the most central city to the empire. Full of hundreds of years of history, of ideas, of people... just looking around you can see hundreds of years of history if you were to look at, say..." She looked around for an example. "The ground, look at the ground" She said, gesturing to it. "Do you have any idea how many people have walked this ground? People whose lives go unknown and who we can never know anything about, but people with lives and passions and inspirations. Think about it, fathers, sons, mothers, daughters, brothers, sisters, friends, countless people have died and killed others in this alleyway alone. Look at the parts closer to the walls" Zincell kneeled, moving more toward what seemed to be an abandoned skaa house.

"See, these parts aren't nearly as worn down as the areas of the floor closer to the center, because more people walk closer to the middle of the pathway, however, if you look at this corner here-" she shifted and moved toward the corner of the building, grinning as she saw the scars in the wall and ran her hand through it. "you can see that these parts of the ground are nearly as worn down as the middle."

"Now, the reason for that could be deduced to be that corners make the best hiding places for skaa street urchins or young thieves or just people attempting to hide while also attempting to be able to see what other people are doing. And the reason for the cuts in the wall is that many people can get cut off at corners or ambushed, and it's likely that countless battles happened in right here." She left her kneeling position and put her hand in the wall of the abandoned skaa tenement. The building couldn't be more than fifty years old, it was probably less than twenty, yet the walls had cuts in them.

"The parts closer to the sides are less worn by common use of walking but there's just as many if not more cuts on the ground in these parts because people have been cornered, and they have been pinned against a wall by attackers. If you were to put a completely pure sphere in this end of the street, and let it go, after moving around a while it would likely get stuck in somewhere down the middle, even though the curve of the street is so light it's very easy not to notice, and it would likely start moving somewhere toward a factory or a marketplace because the routes to and from there are probably the most used by people who walk these areas, and as the areas most walked to they would have the most worn down routes and therefore be the easiest path for the hypothetical sphere to take"

"I just... I love knowing things, understanding things, being able to think of conclusions or deriving ramifications and consequences of just things in life... Think, hundreds of years of people, people's lives, every single one with their own stories, and all of them lost to us now, footprints washed away by the rain. I... I like learning..." The passion with which she'd given her speech suddenly drained from her as the red returned to her face and she looked down in shame. She'd probably made a fool of herself now.

No matter how she filled brass, that feeling of stuffiness and her ears and cheeks burning wouldn't go away. She'd never told things this way to Faust, and she'd spent way more time with him. Why was she rambling so much, trusting this man so much? Whenever she'd talked to Faust she was always a teacher, giving a lecture but now... she felt as though in some backwards way she was trying to impress Khaelys by making a complete fool of herself in front of him.

Hopefully he wouldn't think she was too crazy.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 27 January 2012 - 05:28 AM.

user posted image

#37 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

"Is it worth it?" Khaelys asked, with complete seriousness. "The killing? The genocide? The lies? People here don't need an excuse to kill. They will do it for no reason! You say you have good hearing. Do you know how many Tineyes get killed, just for hearing something that they shouldn't have?

"Haven't you seen it yet? People in this city are evil. Even Klyde. Even me. Especially me. There is no good here. Only death. Can't you see it?"

Khaelys looked in her eyes, and said with complete seriousness "You are too good for this city. Too beautiful"
user posted image

#38 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:43 AM

Zincell glanced into those serious eyes with annoyance.

"... do you think I'm some sort of little girl that needs to be protected from the harsh truths of the world? Some innocent, pure, sheltered child that hasn't seen skaa get executed, or beggars be kicked aside by nobles? I've survived long enough in enough places to have seen a fair share of death Khaelys. Men, women, children, elderly, nobles, skaa. How could I not know about the deaths and the killings?"

She straightened her back, showing she was just as tall as him. "Too good? Too beautiful? What, are you talking about a trained dog? You've known me for less than an hour lad, for all you know all you've seen of me has been an act, and what does beauty have to do with anything? Not that I'm not flattered, I am, but... how does that relate to anything here?"

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 30 January 2012 - 04:44 AM.

user posted image

#39 Khaelys

Skaa

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

"You could have been lying? Hon, you saw me cry! If you responded in any way except with the truth, you are one soulless person. You think you know what this city is?! Just because you saw some skaa being killed, you think you know Luthadel? What if it was your mother? Or your father? Or your twin? And I am a lucky one. This city knows no love. It has done nothing but scar and corrupt. Everything beautiful, everything pure, is gutted and hung as a reminder that we can show no compassion"

Khaelys looked into her eyes, and realized he was just inches away from her. "I.... I just don't want to see you die like the rest of us.."

A tear fell from his cheek.
user posted image

#40 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:03 AM

By the forgotten gods he's crying. Again. He was right in front of her, and he was crying, and he was caring about her safety. Zincell sighed. Why did she have to have met the one crying skaa misting in the whole empire? He was breaking her heart with those tears.

"While I really appreciate your concern, getting in here was trouble enough, I'm not going to try to get out now. Look, Khaelys... can you please try to calm down? Nothing's happened to me yet, and I know I'll die, everyone dies eventually but... At least in my head I think it makes far more sense to try to do what you want and enjoy life while it lasts instead of spending the whole of it afraid, only to die tired and alone in some hiding place somewhere." Zincell said with a smile, getting her face even closer to his and trying to tell him all would be well without words.

"Isn't it better for me to die in a few days, knowing full well that I did what I wanted, and tried my best, than to have my death be in fifty years, without having lived my life at all?" She asked still smiling. Currently wishing she was one soulless person so that his getting tears didn't get to her.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 31 January 2012 - 02:25 AM.

user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users