The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Against the Law

Closed W2 D5 LA Andrew Elariel Daerra Elariel

1 reply to this topic

#1 Andrew Elariel

• Disinherited Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age45

• Relationship StatusMarried

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:45 PM

Andrew took a moment to wipe a spot of dust from the cuff of his pant leg, purposely avoiding the intent gazes of the four other men in the room. Obligators were trained to recognize soothing and rioting, and while he had gotten away with allomantically influencing some less experienced ministry members in the past, he made no move to do the same with this group. It was against the law to influence a member of the ministry after all, and for all intents and purposes, he was a law abiding man.

"You are certain then," he said finally, raising his gaze to meet that of Prelan Orville. The four obligators who joined him were of varying ranks within the ministry. Prelan Orville was not the highest ranking, but was not the lowest either. His tattoos included a stark line of blood red.

"Yes, Lord Andrew. After some investigation, my sources indicate that Lady Casuana requested an Inquisitor be present for her ball. At the moment moment, the Canton of Inquisition has shown no interest in sending one of the creatures to the Elariel ball."

Andrew nodded slowly, taking enjoyment in how all four hung on his every word. There was nothing close to a High Prelan among them, those of higher rank needed a more delicate touch, but he took satisfaction in being able to hold such power over men who had once thought themselves above the games of the nobility. All the while, he kept his eyes firmly locked on Prelan Orville's. While Alistair had asked him to find out if the Inquisitors planned to repeat their antics at the Casuana ball, Andrew had other motives for gathering these four together.

"You've said before the Inquisitors can be unpredictable. How do you know they will not change their minds?"

"The High Inquisitor's mind is his own. I cannot predict any move he makes for certain. I can say that nothing I have seen indicates any interest on the part of the Canton of Inquisition in the Elariel ball beyond what is normal for such an event." Prelan Orville did not hesitate. Andrew had to admire the composure the ministry instilled in it's acolytes.

"I suppose that, if this is the best you can do, it will have to suffice. Tresain, I noticed my brother-in-law at the Casuana ball. I need to know if he is plotting anything beyond his usual contempt for me." Though he shifted his attention, Andrew kept his eyes firmly locked on Orville, holding the Prelan in place with his gaze.

"High Prelan Janus has seemed distracted lately, but his assitant confirmed that he only grudglingly attended the Casuana ball. He continues to show little interest for house politics." Tresain was the lowest ranked of the four obligators, but he was also the most loyal and an Elariel to boot. He was exactly the kind of man Andrew needed to watch Janelle's troublesome brother.

Normally, Andrew would have liked to meet with each of these men individually, but it was part of his agreement that any information they shared with him was distributed amongst them as well. As members of four different cantons, this transferal of information sweetened the pot beyond what Andrew's bribes could do. Of course, he also met with each of them privately (each one convinced they were the only ones to do so), but full meetings had to continue in order to keep up appearances. And so, Andrew did his best to make them suit his purposes.

"Thank-you Tresain. Keep up the good work." Andrew paused for effect and took a deep breath, still holding Prelan Orville's gaze. In his peripheral vision, he could see the others glancing back and forth between him and Orville uncomfortably. "Now then," he said at last, "There is on more matter to discuss. Which of you is sharing his secrets with my daughter?"

A hush fell about the room. Now, all eyes were on Orville, whose face remained a mask of composure. The Prelan deliberately looked around the room, calmly meeting each gaze in turn before returning to Andrew. "Are you trying to insinuate something, milord?"

Orville didn't bother to beat around the bush, so Andrew chose not to either. He'd been watching how information traveled within his house for sometime. The last few reports from the man he had watching Daerra revealed she had information that coudl have only come from Orville. It was time to put the Prelan in his place.

"Your treachery has been revealed Orville. Did you think I could not track the flow of information within my own house? My daughter is in possession of information she could have only gotten from you. I cannot tolerate any disloyalty, even when it involves my own family." Especially when it involves my own family.

Orville gave the slightest of nods. "Very well then. If you will excuse me, Lord Andrew, I will withdraw." Without looking left or right, Orville began heading for the door. He knew there was no reasoning his way out, and he hadn't become a Prelan without a certain talent for maintaining his dignity. That, and a little bit of backing from one Andrew Elariel. The cold calculating eyes of the other three obligators followed him.

"One more thing Prelan Orville," he called softly without turning around. "I wouldn't get any funny ideas about going to your superiors about this if I were you. If I go down, I assure you all my friends, past and present, will be going down with me. You wouldn't want to jeopardize your next promotion now would you?"

Orville turned his head to the side and then gave a brief nod before walking out the door.

Andrew turned back to the three who remained. "Prelan Poullau, Orville will need to be replaced." Poullau was a member of the Canton of Orthodoxy, and the highest ranking of the four assembled. "I have a few ideas in mind from among my other contacts. When I make a selection, I'd like you to find an opportunity to educate him on how our little arrangement works."

Poullau, seemingly afraid to speak, followed Orville's suit and nodded solemnly. That was the effect Andrew had been hoping for when he decided to dismiss Orville in front of the others. Obligators went through life constantly being told they were the most important people in the empire. Once and a while, they needed to be reminded of their weaknesses.

"I think that's enough for today then. I trust that none of you will leave the way you came, or at the same time as anyone else." For the first time during the meeting, Andrew smiled, letting his teeth gleam in the dim light. "As always, you have my gratitude, gentlemen. It always pleases me to be of service to the law whenever I can."

#2 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:23 AM

Daerra's carriage lurched into motion. It would seem her man on the street had given JinJin the signal. The carriage was unadorned, and JinJin was wearing the body of a skaa, rather than his usual terrisman. As she composed herself, Daerra silently counted of the seconds in her head.

The carriage stopped, and Daerra slid open the window, finding one Prelan Orville moving to walk around.

"My apologies Prelan," she called, hoping to catch his attention. "Might I offer you a ride to make amends for my driver's incompetence?"

Orville's cool gaze flicked over her, and Daerra noticed a slight widening of his pupils when he recognized who she was. She focused on keeping her smile warm and inviting and her pulse under control. This was the moment of truth. If he chose leave right now, all her efforts were in vain.

As he prepared to speak, Daerra caught a slight flick of his eyes downward as he swallowed his discomfort and prepared to turn her down. "I..."

"I should tell you, your grace, that my father is a man of influence. This causes him to be arrogant at times, and I know in the past he has not treated members of the ministry the way he should. His negligence is reflected in the carelessness of servants like my driver. I would like the opportunity to show you that not all the members of my family are so... disagreeable."

Orville hesitated for a moment, and then nodded, allowing JinJin to help him into the carriage and shut the door behind him. The carriage immediately started moving again, having stopped for no more than a minute.

Inside, Daerra found Orville to be difficult at first. He had a well developed intellect and her father had made him wary. However, slowly but surely, she managed to win him over, convincing him that her father's side was different from hers, that she could help him where her father could not, and most importantly, she had the means of giving Orville his revenge.

After they dropped Prelan Orville off at his destination with arrangements to meet with Daerra at a later date, JinJin swung the carriage around to pick up Daerra's second guest of the afternoon. After another twenty minutes, the carriage slowed to a stop and another obligator entered, this one with tattoos marking him as a low ranking member of the Canton of Finance.

"Everything proceeded according to plan, Lady Daerra," said Markais. "Your father presumed it was Orville who leaked his information, and showed no indication of suspecting me."

Daerra smiled, and gave a nod of respect to her companion. "Thank-you Markais. I'm sure Prelan Arlan will be pleased when he hears how you have aided me." Prelan Arlan was Markais's superior, and was looking for a new assistant. The older man thought himself a devious rogue, and Daerra would be able to persuade him to take Markais under his wing with a sly wink and a few flirtatious comments. He and Daerra were already 'great friends' after all. Not that it had helped her previously.

Because of his stupidity, Prelan Arlan had very little influence in the ministry beyond his ceremonial duties. Prelan Orville was another story. He was a competent man with ambition, who was quickly becoming noticed by the higher-ups with the Canton of Inquisition. Which was exactly why Daerra decided it was time to steal him away from her father.

Markais was busy voicing some concern about retribution from her father. "Be at peace, Markais. My father will continue to behave as planned. I know him better than anyone." Andrew Elariel's primary weakness was his arrogance. He firmly believed Daerra would never be a real threat to him. Even though he viewed her with caution, he would never truly take her seriously as a threat. Which is why I will beat him at his own game.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users