The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

In the Darkness

Closed W2 D3 LN Daerra Elariel Zincell

101 replies to this topic

#1 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:30 AM

Daerra brushed off the small crate Martin had provided for her and sat down. Normally, she would have told him to forget about it and remain standing, but tonight she didn't have to worry about getting her gown dirty. In fact, a little dirt might enhance her disguise. Her hair was tied back with a simple cord, and draped over one shoulder. One her feet she wore a pair of cheap leather boots which she'd had a skaa operative walk around in for the past month so they wouldn't seem new, and her pants and shirt were both made of cheap materials and artfully smeared with dirt and ash. Over it all, she wore a solid cloak to keep warm. Not all skaa froze at night, so Daerra didn't intend to either. She also wore gloves, but not for the cold. One didn't need to be a genious to realize that skaa didn't have perfectly manicured fingernails, and Daerra didn't want to show up to her next social event looking like Marisha Nathar.

Daerra still wasn't sure how convincing she was. While she could fake any emotion on command, the skaa had a certain demeanor that came from being beaten down all their lives that she couldn't quite replicate. The closest she could come was by dwelling on how her father treated her, but it wasn't quite the same. Thinking of her father made Daerra want to rise to the challenge, but most skaa had given up all hope of rebellion long ago.

Well, not all skaa. Perhaps onlookers would assume she was a member of the rebellion. Daerra supposed that would have to be good enough. As long as they didn't connect the pitiful skaa woman and her two attendants (one child sized, the other a bulky thug) with the elegant Daerra Elariel, her purpose was served. The bulky body guard was JinJin, wearing one of his skaa bodies. He'd had to spend over an hour eating to build up enough mass to replicate all those muscles, and Daerra hoped they would be enough to ward off any potential threats. If things did grow violent, she'd have to run. Though intimidating, as a kandra, JinJin was unable to attack a human because of his contract, and while Marten was skilled, his only defensive characteristic was his stench.

The only person missing was Aaron. JinJin was intimidating and provided an aesthetic quality that made their underground facade more convincing and Marten had the contacts and arranged the meetings. However, if things grew ugly, it was Aaron and his lurching abilities that had rescued them in the past. As things were, he needed to be replaced, but Daerra couldn't bring herself to do it. For one thing, she couldn't trust anyone else. JinJin's loyalty was built into him, and Marten had been involved with her schemes long enough that there was no point in trying to hide her underworld dealings from him any longer. Except, of course, for the pair of men she'd hired to check in on him from time to time, just to make sure he wasn't double crossing her.

Perhaps tonight's guest will prove suitable she thought. According to her reports, Lancaster was a very dangerous man, which was probably why Daerra's father used him for his dealings in the underground.

To her side, Marten scratched his ear twice, signalling that their guest had arrived. Looking up, Daerra watched as his form slowly materialized out of the shifting mists that cloaked the alley. Though he'd claimed the name of a dead house as his own, Lancaster was no noble. Despite his rugged appearance, Daerra had to admit he was rather handsome in his own way, with that strong jaw and brown eyes that seemed to constantly be shifting between looks of mirth and quiet intensity. Even in the dim light she could see he was well muscled beneath his simple clothing, and he walked with the grace normally reserved for predators and pewterarms.

"Master Lancaster, how good of you to join us." It was disconcerting to hear JinJin's voice come out in a deep rumble. Daerra had grown accustomed to his higher-pitched Terrisman's speech.

Lancaster paused, hands flexing at his sides as he took in the scene. As he did, his lips quirked into a defiant smirk. Looking closely, Daerra noticed a slight tightness to his features, indicating he was pain. This, combined with his black eye and split lip revealed that her thugs had done their job.

When he spoke, his tone was playful, giving no hint that earlier that day he had been beaten. He ignored JinJin entirely and addressed Martin. "I hope you aren't trying to pull a fast one on me little man. I wanted to meet with your boss, no one else. If you've set me up on a date with some skaa wench, I'll see that you regret it."

Martin had warned Daerra Lancaster would need proof of her identity. While she could have asked him how he wanted her to prove she was who she said she was, Daerra didn't want to give such a dangerous man that much power. A man like Lancaster had to be controlled at all times. Letting a gentle smile play across her lips, Daerra reached into the pocket of her cloak, and produced some of the finest items from her jewelery box and handed them to Martin, who walked over to Lancaster to display them.

Lancaster adopted a bored expression as he studied each item indifferently before waving Marten away. This time, he spoke to Daerra directly. "Any skaa girl can be given her mistress's jewels and be told to play dumb."

Daerra shrugged. "True. But I'm told you have an eye for fine jewelery, and thus know that these are not ordinary pieces. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that each one is unique and worth a fortune. How many skaa girls could be trusted not to run off with so much wealth, hmmm?"

"I'm sure one being guarded by a koloss might think twice," Lancaster said, gesturing to JinJin.

Daerra crossed one leg over the other, and began to sway it casually back and forth. "I suppose you'll just have to take my word for it then," she said as she accepted her jewelry back from Marten. "That, and my accent, which I suspect is what you really wanted to hear when you questioned me."

Lancaster chuckled softly, and Daerra detected a faint trace of danger lurking underneath his cheery demeanor. "Clever girl. Very well. I suppose you'll want to know why I asked the little man to arrange a meeting..." Lancaster fell silent as Daerra held up her hand. He was used to dealing with nobility. That was good.

"Before you go on, Master Lancaster, I suggest you adjust your tone. Now that you know who I am, I would advise to remember who it is you are speaking to." Daerra lowered her hand to her lap, and put on her most innocent smile. "I might not seem like much, but I assure you I am capable of doing you far more harm than whoever gave you that split lip and black eye."

Lancaster stiffened and his expression grew serious, but Daerra noticed a hint of a smile in his eyes. He liked her. That was good. "My apologies, milady. I forgot myself." He waited a moment until Daerra gestured for him to proceed. It would seem her father had trained him well. "As you know," said Lancaster, "I handle scenarios for your father that are rather delicate in nature. Being a cautious man, your father likes to ensure these delicate scenarios don't come to the attention of the wrong people."

Lancaster paused for a moment and licked his lips, likely considering what to say next, or perhaps deciding how much he should say. "I suspect that you are one person he considers to be of the 'wrong' sort."

Daerra smiled to reward the compliment. Anyone Andrew Elariel considered a threat had to be worth something. "Go on."

"Anyways, your father runs a very tight operation, and any time he has reason to doubt someone, he either offs them then and there, or persuades them not to be doubt worthy ever again." Lancaster paused and spat. It was too dark for Daerra to see if his saliva was discolored by blood. "I've always been a loyal man to your father, milady. I've always approved of his methods. Fact of the matter is, they get results, and in the underground, you can't afford not to. I've never failed him, and he's never given me any reason to doubt his leadership." Lancaster spread his lips into a wide grin. "Until the other day, when he decided I needed a little persuasion myself."

Daerra had been planning for this moment for weeks, planting evidence here and there that Lancaster was being disloyal, all in the hopes of dislodging him from her father's side. While her spies had reported Andrew seemed a bit more chilly with his chief operative in the underground than usual, no action was taken. So, Daerra had been forced to take matters into her own hands.

"My father's... persuaders are taken care of?"

Lancaster nodded, his smile widening. In the shifting mists with his battered face, the grin made him look like some deranged monster out of a child's tale. "By asking that question, milady, it seems you don't know the extent of my talents. Lancaster always settles his score. There were ten of them. Nine didn't leave the hideout where they attacked me. One lasted a little longer, but only until he told me who hired him."

Daerra knew for a fact that Lancaster was exaggerating. She had hired the thugs herself, making sure to use intermediaries that would implicate her father when Lancaster went searching. Each thug was one of her father's regulars, and had no idea that Daerra was the one calling the shots. Lancaster's claim there were ten thugs when there were only five revealed he wanted to impress Daerra, and that he thought he could fool her, which meant he hadn't discovered she was the one who had arranged for his ambush.

"Good," she said after a moment of thought. "Though I doubt my father will bat an eyelash at their removal. He has enough people in his faction that everyone has become expendable to him. I wouldn't be surprised if the next time he saw you he didn't even acknowledge the incident, satisfied by his belief that he's taught you a lesson."

"Like I said milady, I've been working for your father for some time. I think I have a pretty good idea of how he operates."

"So why come to me then? Would it not be better to work hard and prove your loyalty to my father?"

Lancaster laughed. "I think you know the answer to that milady, but I guess you're going to make me say it. That's fine with me, I like to talk. Your father's gotten to where he is in life by taking outrageous chances and manipulating circumstances until his success is the only option. When you're playing with stakes like his, you can't afford to leave the little things to chance. I know how he operates. Now that he's suspicious of me, things will never be the same. It won't matter how hard I work or how diligent I am. He'll never trust me like he did before. Sooner or later, I'm going to mess up. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not perfect, and when I make that fatal mistake, your father will strike and make sure that mistake is my last."

"You fear him then. Why not flee?"

"Because I'm too addicted to the game to leave Luthadel, and even if I fled to the Southern Islands, I'm sure your father could track me down if he wanted to. Besides, this isn't just about preserving my hide. I've worked for your father for five years now, and have always carried out my orders to the letter, never once betraying him. I gave the man my life, and he spits on me. If I was just concerned for myself, I might consider your suggestion and run away. The underground is full of nooks and crannies a man like me can hide in. But this isn't just about preservation. It's about revenge. Your father spit in my face, well perhaps it's time someone had the guts to spit in his."

Daerra raised an eyebrow. "Quite the moving speech Master Lancaster. If I were a fool for melodramatics, you might have had me in tears. You seek my protection and make vague claims that you can be of use to me, but how do I know I can trust you?"

Lancaster cocked his head to the side, studying her. Likely he was considering his response carefully, trying to read her and figure out what she wanted to hear. A skaa didn't gain a position like Lancaster's without being able to read people. Daerra hoped she was presenting what she wanted him to read.

"To tell the truth, in general, you can't trust me, no more than I can trust you. To me, you'll always be some snooty noblewoman who needs to be put in her place some day, and to you I'll always be a tiny pawn in your game of power. All we can trust is human nature. I have to trust that you want as many eyes on your father and players on your side against him as possible, and you'll have to trust that I want to hurt him any way I can and believe you are my best option for doing so."

Daerra let her face from a mask, betraying no expression. For a moment, she sat completely still, staring into Lancaster's eyes, looking for any hint of falsehood. Hoping to have unnerved him, she slowly let go of the breath she had been holding, and gave him a light smile. "Well said Master Lancaster. I think the two of us will get along famously." Daerra stretched out a hand and allowed JinJin to help her rise. "Martin has your instructions. Any questions you have will have to wait until our next meeting. I'm a very snooty kind of noblewoman, you see, and you've already used up more time than I am comfortable sharing with a worthless skaa like you." She kept her smile to take some of the sting out of her words.

Lancaster regarded her carefully. He'd obviously hoped she'd give him his instructions directly, but Daerra felt like she'd indulged him enough. However valuable he was to her, she needed to make sure he knew his place. Finally, he gave a nod, and set out into the mists, forcing Martin to jog in order to keep up with him.

Daerra counted to twenty, and then set out to where JinJin had stashed their carriage, day dreaming of the change of clothes that lay within.

"Well," she said to her hulking companion, "I think that went rather well."

#2 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:19 AM

Zincell sat atop a very nondescript building in the slums. After the events earlier that day, she needed to think, and to think quietly. Part of her wanted more time, more time to think, more time to plan and to find a way to figure out just what to do with this Warren Proulx and his nosy nature.

Though a larger part of her wanted time, just for time's sake itself. She'd come to Luthadel to see the Empire at its worst and best. To see slaves and nobles, stewards and merchants, and to make notes on it. She wanted more time to see what she wanted to see, instead of thinking of a strange nobleman who knew a bit too much about her already.

She was filling steel, zinc, gold, her tinmind for eyesight and pewter at rather high rates when she heard it. A deep, rumbling voice from below. How long had she been sitting there? Hours at least, though it had seemed like minutes to her, which was good. It meant her steelminds and zincminds were relatively full. Zincell stopped filling steel, tin and zinc immediately, and moved to the edge of the building, tapping her tinminds for eyesight and hearing at low rates to see and hear slightly better. The people meeting were the only people making any sound in the surrounding area any way, but it never hurt to be a bit more careful. Zincell would store this in her copperminds as soon as the meeting was finished, and finally do one of the things she'd come to do here. When then noblewoman mentioned her own accent she was glad. Most people didn't pay much attention to accents, it was nice to see someone else did.

She listened intently, whispering little comments on what each person did to remember that better as well, and when the meeting was over, she put it all in her copperminds, forgetting it, and now having only a faint memory of having listened to a meeting, but not knowing what had happened in it. Zincell would transcribe it later on, so that she could know it with and without her copperminds. After all, this seemed to be quite an important thing she'd stumbled across today. With any luck it could help Klyde if he survived his wounds, or it could help her regardless. Luthadel was, after all, often centred around knowledge. One of the many reasons why it was a great place for a keeper, or at least keeper-in-training, to be in.

She stayed put for about two seconds, and resolved to follow the noblewoman instead of the other man. With any luck the woman wouldn't think her important enough to follow if she was found, while the other guy seemed very... murderous. Most keepers spent their time around noblemen, completely discarding the less respectable areas of the city. They were seen as proper, and wouldn't go around sleeping in ditches, or following noblemen and noblewomen, risking their lives for things that likely did not concern them.

At that moment, Zincell was glad she wasn't like most keepers.

"Well," Zincell heard the noblewoman say to her hulking companion, "I think that went rather well."
user posted image

#3 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

"Oh, um... the mists are rather thick tonight aren't they?" replied JinJin. Daerra could tell that JinJin was still used to playing the Terrisman, and hadn't quite gotten the hang of playing a street thug. While his sentence would have been right in character with his eunuch voice, it sounded odd in the gravelly tones of a murderous skaa. Of course, he was still playing the part of himself, which was always the case regardless of what type of body he was wearing. Daerra still couldn't believe she was saddled with the only kandra in the final empire who was incompetent at acting.

Daerra's frustration with JinJin almost made her overlook what he had said. While the kandra's acting ability was flawed, he was an accomplished flesh former, adept at manipulating his body beyond what was usual. Tonight, Daerra had encouraged him to increase the efficiency of his ears, eyes, and nose with subtle modifications so he could serve her better in his capacity as a lookout. A sentence involving the mists had been their pre-arranged signal in the event that someone was following them.

Daerra clamped her mouth shut and kept her pace even, not wanting to give any indication to their tail that she knew someone was following her. It was probably too late to disguise the fact she was a noblewoman. If the tail had heard her speak to JinJin he or she would have recognized her accent. What if they've been watching me this entire time? Daerra felt her blood run cold. If her father discovered she had turned Lancaster, her plans could be ruined. Daerra quickly ran over the contents of her conversation in her head. Lancaster's name had been mentioned several times, but she was pretty sure she'd kept her own name and her father's out of things. Someone listening would know Lancaster was involved in a struggle between daughter and father, and might be able to put together they were from a great house, but hopefully they wouldn't be able to identify her. Unless, of course, this someone knew Lancaster worked for her father. Then all bets might be off.

As she walked, Daerra stumbled slightly, catching JinJin by the arm to steady herself. As she did, she checked the obsidian dagger she had attached to her belt, making sure it would come out of it's sheath easily. JinJin turned to check on her, and as he did he scanned the alley behind him just as planned.

"Careful," he said, more in control this time, "One more fall like that when I'm not around and you could break a bone." So there was only one. That was good in some ways. Daerra still wasn't sure she'd be able to take whoever it was. JinJin couldn't do anything more than block her from harm and act intimidating. If whoever was following them needed to be disposed of, the duty would fall to Daerra.

Trying not to act suspicious but also not wanting to speak more than she had to, Daerra only nodded and gestured for JinJin to start walking again. As she walked, she began burning bronze, listening carefully for any allomantic pulses, and prepared to extinguish her metals if she sensed anyone else burning bronze. She'd already been detected by one person too many, she didn't want to attract any stray allomancers and compound her troubles.

#4 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

What by the forgotten gods..? Zincell had heard the large man talk about mist, and then the woman had stumbled, and the man had started to check the alleyway. Maybe it was some sort of code that they were close to a second person they'd be meeting, that would be nice. Zincell was glad she'd decided to follow the noblewoman. While her companion seemed quite large, he also seemed quite heavy, and since she'd spent at least a few hours filling steel and zinc, she would probably be fine. Running away was one of her better skills, even without steel.

They were moving a bit farther, and Zincell figured it would be better to have a closer look at them. After all, she hadn't been able to see the expressions of any of the people at the meeting in the last one. Or at least she thought she hadn't. She didn't remember much. Zincell stopped tapping her tinminds for eyesight and hearing for the moment, so as to avoid wasting it.

Regardless, she moved nearer to the side of the building, also getting more ash in her face to make herself harder to recognize. She didn't know if she'd ever see the woman again, but being careful in Luthadel was always a good idea. Zincell waited for them to walk past the alleyway, and jumped out of the building while filling iron at an extreme rate. Falling downward slowly with a slight breeze moving her to one side and the other, as if she were a piece of paper, and landing quietly on the alleyway.

She sneaked her head out of the alleyway sightly and started tapping tin for eyesight and hearing again, still at a pretty low rate. She could hear and see fine, though a little more clarity would be appreciated, and since they were getting relatively far from her, being able to focus better things that were farther would be nice. One or both of them could be allomancers, and if that were the case, the farther she stayed from them the better.

Zincell was in the middle of being really really careful when she started coughing. And coughing loudly at that. She hadn't stopped filling gold! Will I ever not miss things like that? This is why I made a poor stewardess. It was always the details. She stopped filling gold, and her coughing stopped.

So much for stealth.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 05 January 2012 - 05:27 PM.

user posted image

#5 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

Daerra whirled at the sound of the cough, jumping as if it had been the first indication that someone was behind her. As she turned, she made sure her hood was in place and took care to tilt her head just right so that the garment would shadow her features and make her more difficult to recognize. She was pleased when JinJin followed suit and also managed to seem surprised.

Their follower was young, somewhere between fourteen and nineteen. Skaa by the look of her, but then Daerra supposed she must look like a skaa as well. She had some sort of bandages wrapped around various parts of her body. Could she be a beggar looking for donations? The Lord Ruler did allow invalids who were unable to work to beg, but only at certain times in certain places. Besides, this girl could walk at least, and seemed nimble enough despite whatever injuries the bandages were convering. Perhaps the bandages were a disguise meant to lull victims into a false sense of security, and the girl was really a foot pad.

Whatever she was, she presented a problem. If she had witnessed Daerra's meeting, she was a liability that had to be taken care of in some way. But how to find out without giving too much away?

Taking Daerra's thoughtful silence as an indication he was supposed to do the talking, JinJin was the first to speak. "Who are you girl? What do you want?" Well, I suppose that works well enough thought Daerra. Keeping her eyes deep in the shadows of her hood, she continued to study the girl and waited for a response.

#6 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

Zincell was so very thankful that she had so much ash covering her face at the moment. She paused for a moment and cleared her throat, trying to think of what to say. Then, with a feigned confidence rarely found outside of nobles and a crooked smile, she spoke. With a neutral accent, and slight skaa tones.

"I am two ears and one mouth milady, and I want to live through the night. Though if you were to give me coins for my silence I wouldn't really mind" She said, speaking to the noblewoman, with a very calculated air of "knowing more than you think, and having something you want".

Right now, Zincell was "Nameless skaa allomancer spy #5" deceiving, knowing more than she should, and with resources unknown to whoever she was talking to. Zincell just hoped she could manage to stay in character for longer this time, and avoid another mistake to cause something like the "Warren Prolux Problem" as she thought of it. Confidence was key. It didn't matter if she wanted to run away that very second, she had to seem calm. She had lot of steel saved up anyway, and plenty gold.

She should be fine regardless of what they threw at her.
user posted image

#7 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

The girl had responded directly to Daerra even though it was JinJin who had spoken to her. That was bad, for it meant she knew Daerra was the one in charge. Worse, she was asking for money to buy her silence, which meant she knew Daerra had something to hide. Whether or not she was worth bribing, Daerra didn't know, but she was becoming increasingly certain this urchin knew more than Daerra wanted her to.

At least the girl wasn't emitting any allomantic pulses. That meant she wasn't an allomancer. Marten and JinJin had canvassed the surrounding area prior to the meeting to root out an possible eavesdroppers, which meant only someone burning tin could have overheard the conversation. Of course, the girl could still be a tineye and have stopped burning, or be a mistborn burning copper. If Daerra was going to find out how much of a threat the girl was, she needed more information.

Another thing occured to her. While she was by know means an accent specialist, Daerra's recent attention to her own accent made the neutrality of two-ears-and-one-mouth's noticeable to her. Her speech was neither skaa nor noble, but had elements of both. That likely meant she was a skaa who interacted with the nobility on a regular basis, which made her all the more dangerous to Daerra. If the girl had a noble master she reported directly to, there was no telling what kind of mayhem she could cause for Daerra and her plans.

The girl had already addressed her as 'milady' so there was no point in pretending to be a skaa. If the girl was used to being around nobles, it meant she knew how to obey them or else she would be dead by now. Daerra could make use of that, using her inborn authority as a noblewoman to gain the upper hand in the conversation.

"Run along child," she said in a disdainful tone, "I have nothing to hide." The girl had approached her. If she had just been a spy, she would have run off and reported her findings to her master. The fact that she wanted a bribe could mean she was working on her own. By dismissing her, Daerra could find out how desperately she wanted the bribe and perhaps whether or not she deserved one.

#8 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

"Fine then" Zincell said with a shrug. The single most powerful tool for winning a negotiation is the ability to walk away from the table without a deal. She'd read that in a book at some point, and to her the information was pay enough. Which meant that she was in a better position than the noblewoman.

"Though I'm quite certain Elariel spies will be interested in that meeting you had, of which I'll be happy to give them a transcription. Perhaps they'll be more generous" She smiled "Have a good evening milady" she bowed and started to turn away from the noblewoman to walk away, with her hands in her pockets. Elariel was known to have an great many spies around the underworld, it shouldn't be too hard to get the information moving around those circles. The attempt for coins was a long shot anyway. Now, how could this information be useful?

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 06 January 2012 - 09:45 PM.

user posted image

#9 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:22 PM

Inside, Daerra froze for a moment, careful not to let her distress show. The girl couldn't know. She'd been too careful. It was well known Elariel had a substantial spy network. The girl had likely just heard about House Elariel's reputation and was hoping to scare Daerra.

I can't let her suspect anything. "They might be," she called softly, hoping to grab the girl's attention back before it was too late. The girl wanted to be bribed, otherwise she wouldn't have approached Daerra. Right now she was just trying to gain more bargaining power and using the Elariels' reputation to do it.

As she spoke, Daerra quickly put together a plan, and by the time she had finished her first sentence she only needed a moment's pause before she could continue. "Or they might not. I doubt you know who I am, or you wouldn't be so quick to disrespect me. The Elariels are proud fools, and don't take kindly to having their time wasted. You might have enough to interest them, but without my identity, your information will likely be useless to them. Don't think they'll go out of their way to protect you either. Those bastards are ruthless and care nothing for skaa like you."

Daerra paused for a moment, letting her words sink in, and then took a single step towards the girl. "The Elariels are fickle. They pretend to be neutral, but really they just can't decide whose side they are on. They will take whatever tidbits you can give them and then throw them away. However, not all noble houses are so... difficult. Whatever you think you saw might be of value to House Elariel, but if it's not you will still be a friendless skaa who has made a very powerful enemy. Why take the risk when there are more certain ways to make friends?"

Daerra let the offer hang in the air unsaid. She couldn't lay things on too thick or should would lose what advantage she had left. She just hoped she had managed to mislead the girl enough to disguise her true identity. Lancaster's name would mean nothing to anyone but her father. As long as Daerra kept it away from him, she would be fine. At least, she hoped she would be.

#10 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

Zincell turned, with an interested smile on her face, and listened carefully. Part of her wanted to ask the woman why she thought she was friendless, but decided against it. The proposal was more important, whatever it was.

"Ah, so what exactly do you propose, milady?" She asked, still with the crooked smile. Nameless skaa allomancer spy #5 was certainly interested in this new offer.
user posted image

#11 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Daerra let her lips quirk into the hint of a smile. She had gotten the girl's interest. That was good. Now how could she turn things to her advantage?

"That's better. You seemed like the intelligent type. I'm pleased that my initial impression was not disappointed. I'm still not sure if whatever information you have on me is worth a bribe, even if you are threatening to turn it over to the Elariels, but you are obviously quite observant and such a talent should not be wasted."

Daerra paused, trying her best to assess the situation. Would the girl be interested? Her expression seemed to imply she was, but Daerra knew better than anyone how misleading expressions could be. Daerra thought she had a plan, the trouble was she didn't know how much the girl knew. She had to enact it while giving away as little as possible lest she give the girl more information than she already had and make matters worse.

"There is a skaa man who has been working as an informant for me," said Daerra carefully. No need to mention she had met with him tonight, or that tonight was their first meeting. If the girl had overheard she would know that already, and if not then she didn't need to know.

As she continued, Daerra let her voice grow a little higher and added some tension to it, making her seem more nervous. What she had said before was true, the girl really did seem to be quite observant, so Daerra made sure her act was perfect. "I never should have gotten involved with him in the first place, honestly. My friends all counseled against it, but I needed the information. He seems to be co-operating, but when I met him I realized how dangerous he really is. He... he may know some things about me..." Daerra fell silent for a moment, collecting herself. That ought to wet her appetite. If the girl really was an informant, the promise of a juicy secret alone might prove sufficient to win her over.

When she spoke again, Daerra strengthened her voice. She was a strong noblewoman, and too much weakness would be seen as false. The image of her overcoming her nervousness would be far more compelling and convincing. "I think I may have made a mistake. You might not be able to make much money off of tonight, as no real secrets were exchanged, but having an extra set of eyes watching this man would help me sleep at night, and I would be willing to pay you handsomely for the service."

#12 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

Zincell went over the meeting in her head, doing her best to corrupt it as little as possible, and thanking years of memory training as a keeper. The thug with the woman had said something at the beginning. "Master Lancaster, how good of you to join us." The man's name was Lancaster then, unless she was referring to another person.

"Ah, so you want me to watch this Lancaster man then, milady?" She asked, clarifying. After all, it would be no good if she started following some random skaa, and it would probably be worse if she started following this Lancaster person instead of the one the woman wanted followed. A big part of Zincell wanted Klyde to get better soon, so they'd be able to use this information somehow. She wasn't made for the underground, and there was no way in the Deepness she'd visit him in the clinic with obligators around.

"He looked quite experienced. How would a 'friendless skaa' as you described me manage to keep an eye on a man such as himself? 'Lancaster always settles his score' makes me wary of playing games with him, if you know what I mean. After all, all the coins in the world mean nothing if you don't live to spend them" She said, not sure at all of what she was doing, but keeping her face as that of Nameless skaa allomancer spy #5. Crooked grin, interested face, wanting money, but also wanting to stay around for a while. Still not sounding convinced at the "handsome reward". After all, most skaa's standards of handsome were just pocket money to the average Major House's noble.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 07 January 2012 - 11:45 PM.

user posted image

#13 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

Daerra fought to keep her disappointment from her face and succeeded. Somehow, the girl had heard the entire conversation, enough to quote it directly. If Daerra's father ever found this girl it could ruin everything. Daerra' thoughts turned back to her concealed dagger. JinJin was forbidden to harm her, but Daerra wasn't. Perhaps silencing the girl was her best bet.

Daerra discarded the notion as soon as it came up. Despite the many bandages, the girl was showing no signs of being injured, and a life on the streets had likely toughened her considerably. With no combat training to speak of, Daerra wasn't certain she could take her down, especially if the girl had some sort of hidden weapon.

She could still be an allomancer Daerra reminded herself as she resolved not to resort to violence. They had been very careful scouting the area, but the girl had managed to hear the conversation well enough to quote several parts of it back to Daerra. It was very likely then that she was a skaa tin-eye. Perhaps Daerra could report her to the ministry. The Inquisitors were always on the lookout for skaa allomancers.

Daerra discarded that plan as well. She didn't want the ministry poking around in her business. When they took the girl, they would likely question her to see if she knew of any other half breeds. With her own misdeeds coming so easily to the girls lips, Daerra decided she wanted to keep her new friend as far away from the ministry as possible.

That didn't mean the secret had to go to waste. It could be used as leverage to ensure the girl's loyalty perhaps. An untraceable allomancer, especially a tine-eye, could be of great use to Daerra.

"That's the name he gave me," she said cautiously. "I have no idea what his real one is. I tried so hard to be brave in front of him, but he really was terrifying, so I can understand your apprehensions." Don't lay it on too thickly, she reminded herself. You're an Elariel, not some sniveling wretch.

"As for keeping an eye on him, you seemed adept enough at eavesdropping on us tonight. Get that cough seen to, and I'm sure you'll have not problems remaining undetected. Besides, something tells me you have an advantage he doesn't." She was referring, of course, to the girl's hidden allomancy. She hoped the girl caught the hint, and the threat that came with it. Perhaps I shall inform Lancaster as of this girl she thought to herself. With Lancaster watching the girl and the girl watching Lancaster, Daerra could make use of them both without having to worry about betrayals.

#14 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

What was the woman trying to do, playing the sad, scared little victim? It was obvious she knew what she was doing. An advantage that he doesn't? Was this another noble who thought she was an allomancer? Those seemed to be quite easy to come by lately. Part of her wanted to write "not an allomancer" in her own forehead out of annoyance.

It had been so easy remaining this "mysterious person with unknown powers" to skaa in hovels. Here in Luthadel it seemed everyone jumped straight to allomancy. Still, she could use that to her advantage. She'd pretended to be a Mistborn once and it wasn't that hard when you could jump three stories and run up walls.

She started filling gold at a high rate for a moment and had a small cough attack again, lifting the neck of her shirt to cover her mouth. Since the woman thought she really was sick, no reason why she shouldn't take the advantage to fill her goldminds some more. Though she had to take care not to fill it too much. Her goldminds were nearly completely full anyway. She cleared her throat, and kept filling at a far lower rate.

"I'm afraid not everyone has such advantages like a family doctor or the like to look after my health, milady. And since he did seem like the violent kind, you have done very little to convince me I should take up on the offer. Didn't he kill ten men after all? And I myself am not much of a fighter." She'd have to put this conversation in her copperminds as well, and transcribe both of them. What was she getting into? Still, she kept the face. The lady would likely think she was just asking for more details on the reward or the like.

"Good eyes and ears mean nothing if they're taken out with a knife as punishment"
user posted image

#15 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

"He killed ten men who tried to attack him, if that's even true. I'm not sure if I can even trust his story, honestly, which is why I need him watched." Daerra placed a hand on her hip, and patted her pockets suggestively, even though they were empty. Her jewelery was still in her cloak pocket, and her emergency funds her hidden within JinJin's body. "I'm not asking you to do me a favor. I'd see that you were fittingly compensated. There's an excellent doctor I know who could be persuaded to look after you... for starters."

Daerra took stock of her opponent carefully. Why was she being so difficult? Normally, skaa were easy to understand. Their harsh circumstances meant that attaining their basic needs to survive was the primary goal of each day. If this girl really was an informant, she should be eager for a chance to serve someone like Daerra, or at least pretending to be. Skaa informants had notoriously short life spans, and even the ones that meant to stab you in the back usually smiled to your face.

This girl, however, was being blatantly disrespectful. Daerra's clothing might be part of it, she certainly didn't look like an imposing noblewoman. But the girl had proved she had heard the majority if not the entire conversation with Lancaster, even quoting it word for word. She knew Daerra was a noble, and that she was powerful enough to demand instant respect from a haughty thug like Lancaster. What was the girl playing at? Didn't she realize that if Daerra really wanted her secret kept she could have her killed? This of course, wasn't the case. JinJin could only be of so much help without breaking his contract, and Daerra wasn't sure she could take the street-wise girl on her own, but she shouldn't know about JinJin's impediment, or Daerra's inability. Why was she not more frightened? Why didn't she bow and scrape to try to please Daerra like other skaa of her kind did?

The answer might be in her allomancy. If the girl was an allomancer, that meant she had probably been kept away from the nobility most her life to prevent her gift from being discovered. Half breeds were not supposed to exist, after all. Perhaps she had never learned her place in the social order. No, that still isn't it, Daerra mused. Even thieves and rebels knew how to fake obedience when they needed to. Otherwise the Inquisition would have had them all killed long ago. Even if the girl hadn't learned to respect and obey the nobility directly, she would have been taught to by her peers.

Why didn't I see it sooner? The strange bandages, the ability to hear things no normal person could, and assertion where there should have been surrender. Her injuries didn't seem to trouble her, meaning they were likely feigned. Furthermore, after their initial encounter, the girl hadn't coughed again until it suited her. She might not even be sick. The bandages would be useful for covering up tender well scrubbed skin that had rarely seen a day of the toil skaa were used to. The rebellion was so fresh on Daerra's mind that she had assumed immediately that the girl was a half breed, however was it not equally likely she was a noble in disguise? Daerra was willing to bet that back had never been bent under a whip, and that face had never been bruised by a beating.

Daerra's eyes narrowed and she cocked her head slightly to the side, making the study of her foe obvious. Perhaps there was no need to pay this 'skaa girl informant' after all. If she was smart, Daerra might be able to use this new information to blackmail her opponent into submission.

"You aren't a skaa informant..." she said carefully. "Are you?"

#16 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:49 AM

"I'm afraid not, milady." Zincell said with a shrug after a pause. Though Zincell had never really tried to be a skaa informant so she wouldn't know how good she was.

She was in trouble. She was really, really, really in trouble. Though part of her was glad she'd found a noble with the braincells to put it together that she in fact was not skaa, she was also scared out of her mind. This woman was scary, even if she patted empty pockets randomly. Very scary. Though Zincell didn't let that show in her face, or show too much anyway. She wasn't a particularly good actress, so a bit of fear, tension, and weakness was probably visible even in the dark. Still, she kept the grin and regained her composture near instantly. Zincell tapped her tinmind for touch, feeling achey thanks to her filling gold, something she sped the rate of slightly. Odds were she'd need to fill that tinmind soon, and she needed to empty it some more just in case. She should have left when given the chance.

Zincell was in a lot of trouble.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 12 January 2012 - 10:37 PM.

user posted image

#17 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:25 AM

Daerra slowly began to advance on the girl, motioning for JinJin to be the same. "I'm going to ask you a question," she said softly, adding a hint of danger to her voice. "And I'm only going to ask it once. I expect an honest answer. If I don't get one, I may have to speak with the dangerous looking gentleman you observed me with earlier about you." Daerra halted, hoping she was still far enough away that the girl would be unable to recognize too many distinguishable features from under her hood.

"He might make me nervous, but I've already met with him once, so don't think I'll hesitate to meet with him again." She flicked her eyes over the girl carefully, taking in every observable weakness. She was putting on a brave face, but Daerra could detect a hint of fear underneath. She was minor nobility then. No member of a great house would be so easily unnerved. "And I assure you Master Lancaster can be far more intimidating when he decides not to be polite."

Tilting her head to the side slightly, Daerra made her study of the girl obvious. She spoke softly, but made certain her words would be taken as the command they were. "Who are you and why were you spying on me?"

#18 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

"I am a girl looking for coins, and I wasn't actually set on spying on you tonight" Zincell said, nearly automatically. The less lies you used, the less stuff you had to remember later on, though the years of being taught to do exactly as nobles told her, specially when they were getting impatient or mad were starting to take over as the full weight of the thoughtlessness of her actions hit her.

"I was sitting on the rooftop when I heard the beginings of your conversation and decided to pay attention to it to see if I could ger a profit from it." All of that was true. She stepped backwards a bit, not eager to have the distance between her and the noblewoman shrink. She should have left when given the chance, she really should have left when given the chance.
user posted image

#19 Alexandre Aurelian

• Sureau Assassin

House Raisaal
  • Age27

• OriginTremredare

• Allomantic StatusRumoured

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

"Eliminate every skaa within the tenement, then destroy it. Make it look like a rebel attack. Leave no witnesses."

As Lex's orders filtered through his head, they did so in Sarafine's voice. The gentle caress of her familiar tones in his mind seemed to warm him and set his heart beating a little faster. Rationally, he knew Sarafine was dead, and that he had received his orders from a Sureau messenger. Remembering them in her voice just helped him to internalize and focus them. Also, if he was honest with himself, he had to admit he would take any and every opportunity to hear her voice again.

He hadn't been told any of the rationale behind the attack. If Nadia found out (or when she found out), she'd likely have something to say about blindly following orders and his responsibility to his own morality, but for Lex, questions of right and wrong didn't seem to matter any more. All he knew was that the Sureaus had saved him from himself after Sarafine died, and that as long as he followed where Stephan led, his life had direction and purpose.

He crouched on a squat building across from the tenement that was the target of his night's endeavors. There were two armed guards in front of the tenements only entrance and none of the windows were big enough for even a child to fit through. With the Inquisition in full swing, nobles and obligators were both keeping closer eyes on the skaa population.

A coin pushed from his fingers shattered a nearby window. Both guards stood, looking to see the source of the sound. Already dropping another coin, Lex leapt from his perch, adjusting his flight with a light so he landed directly behind the second guard. His glass dagger parted the exposed skin on the man's throat as smoothly as butter before he knew what was happening.

Hearing the sound of his armed comrade falling to the ground, the first guard spun, only to be pulled off his feet by Lex's iron. Since they were about similar weight (with the guard being a little heavier because of his gear) Lex flew towards his target as well, using the momentum as well as pewter to dive his knife into the man's neck. The glass shattered on impact, but the man went down before he had time to break the silence of the night with a call for help. Not that it would matter if he had. The Casuana's were on edge, the keep itself had been threatened. Those guards were meant to keep the skaa in, not a full mistborn out. He'd scouted the area, and there was no one, skaa or noble, who could threaten him.

The door gave way easily with a strategic combination of steel bushes and slight application of pewter. The first floor was not designed to accommodate bodies, functioning more as a common area, but multiple sleeping forms were crowded onto the floor nonetheless. At the sound of him crashing through the door, some were already wide awake, mouths open in shock. They died first, taking coins to the head. As more skaa began to rise, Lex positioned himself in front of the door, blocking the only escape route, and began to alternate pushing and pulling outwards in all directions. Skaa who had metal on their person found themselves being continually pushed around, bumping into their neighbors. As he pushed and pulled on the metal nails and screws in the walls, the tenement shook slightly, however, even while flaring pewter to keep from being ripped apart or crushed, he was unable to cause any significant damage to the structure.

Several skaa moved to push past him, crying out in alarm. Already burning pewter, Lex moved lightning fast, breaking a neck here, shattering a leg there, and using his knives and coins when necessary. As the walls continued to tremble slightly from his continued pushes and pulls, skaa began to to filter down from the upper floors, drawn by the cries of their fellow tenants. As the crowd grew, people began to push and shove towards the exit, dying as they got within Lex's range. He tried his best to use coins only when necessary, and pull them back to himself when possible, as a coin imbedded in flesh was a clear sign of allomantic involvement.

As the skaa realized that death awaited them at the exit, they tried to turn and run the other direction, however more people were still crowding into the room from the upper floors, drawn by the trembling of the building. All the while, Lex continued to kill and kill and kill, held in place by the force of his pushes and pulls as he continued to shake the tenement. Then, all at once, he sensed a nail come loose. It came hurtling towards him, but was blocked by the back of an unsuspecting skaa. Slowly, more metal bits and pieces of the building began to tremble and come loose, adding to the instability of the building.

Meanwhile, word had spread that some dark mist-demon was blocking the door, dealing death to however came too close, and the skaa were beginning to retreat to the upper floors. Lex had surveyed the building, and knew that none of the windows could be used as exits. Still, desperate men and women, even skaa, could be surprisingly ingenious, and he couldn't allow any to escape.

He ceased shaking the building, and killed the three closest skaa to him as the rest ran beyond his immediate reach. As the press of bodies tried it's best to get to the stairs, he killed several more who were prevented from getting away fast enough. Seeing the hopelessness of their situation, several men and a few women turned to face him, doubtlessly hoping to sacrifice themselves to prevent him from harming their families. Within seconds only one man remained alive. He dropped to his knees, pleading for his life. Lex just flared pewter and broke his neck.

It was then that his eyes fell on the wood furnace. It was a large and clumsily made thing, meant to heat the building as cheaply as possible. Keeping his eyes on the skaa, waiting for any of them to try the door again, Lex braced himself against the metal in the rest of the building (causing the building to resume trembling) and began to push and pull strategically on the boiler, trying to rip it from it's mount. The pressure he was putting on his body was great, and even with flared pewter he felt like he was ripping himself apart. Determined not to give up, he gritted his teeth and bore the pain, thinking of Sarafine. Losing her had been the most painful thing he had ever experienced. Even being ripped apart by his own allomancy could not compare.

Noticing he was getting low on pewter, steel, and iron, Lex downed another vial of metals, almost missing a few fleeing skaa as he did so. One fell to his knife, another was sent flying by a pewter enhanced kick to the rib cage. The third made it past him to the door and had to felled with a coin.

Minutes passed and a dozen more skaa died before Lex heard a satisfying screech and watched as the large furnace, came crashing to it's side, bursting to pieces under the force of his pushes and pulls. Lex let go of his anchors, and plotted out his next move. The skaa who were still in the room were crowded against the far wall, and Lex didn't need tin to catch the smell of vomit and urine, or to see the fear in their eyes. Flames now flickered throughout the room, sparked by the scattered contents of the furnace. As the fires began to grow, Lex could see realization light up their eyes one by one, followed closely by resolution, as they decided which they would rather brave: Lex, or the fire.

Keeping himself between the crowd and the door, Lex moved in for another kill.
Posted Image

As he left the burning building which was now consumed with flames, Lex paused to arrange some the debris. He worked quickly and efficiently, using pewter and tin to speed his progress, wanting to be gone before any bystanders arrived. Thankfully, the surrounding forges were mostly empty for the day, and the skaa in the nearby tenements remained inside. A skaa had to get used to ignoring the suffering of others if they wanted to survive.

Standing, Lex took a moment to survey his crude message. "WITH US OR AGAINST US" It read. It wouldn't explain away everything, but hopefully most would blame the rebellion, leaving Sureau relatively free of scrutiny. Dropping a coin, Lex shot off into the mists, taking a moment to observe the destruction he had wrought. Already he could see the flames were past their prime, and were beginning to die down. Not that it mattered. Of the many dead bodies in the tenement, very few had succumbed to flame or smoke. Once he finished with the first floor, he had taken the others one by one, leaving none alive.

In the distance, he could barely see the glow of torches. That would be the garrison, investigating the disturbance. It was time for him to scout the area one last time, clean up any witnesses and leave.

And so, hidden by copper, Lex faded away into the darkness that had birthed him.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

Zincell heard the garrison coming before she saw them. She didn't need a confirmation. She swore.

"I'll keep your meeting secret for now, don't worry." She said in a hurry, and started to tap steel at a medium rate and run away from both the mysterious noblewoman and the Garrison. She wasn't about to wait for the Garrison to pass by, and that woman was growing scarier by the second.
user posted image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users