The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
» Forum Rules
» The Story Thus Far
» Character Application
» Frequently Asked Questions
» Character System Guide
» Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
» The Three Metallic Arts
» Guide to the Final Empire
» Map of Luthadel
» The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
» Introduce Yourself
» Universal Continuity Thread
» The Timeline
» Adoptable Characters
» Wanted Characters
» Face Registry
» Open Threads List

Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Family Reunion

4 replies to this topic

#1 Tamsin Landell

• Heir to House Landell

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age20

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginSouthern Dominance

• Allomantic StatusN/A

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:45 AM

As the Landell carriage rattled over the streets, Tamsin sat back into the relative comfort of the plush seat. It had been years since she had seen her cousin; they had shared a childhood together, and memories rose up to meet the thought. She wondered if Sabine had changed much in the time since she had seen her. They had written letters to one another, of course, but Sabine was a little haphazard about her correspondence. And words on a page could only tell a certain amount. Would they be able to simply pick up where they had left off, or would they find each other strangers instead?

She wondered how Sabine would do in the city, as well. The girl she remembered was a tomboy, wild and impulsive; she could easily recall any number of schemes and scrapes that Sabine had gotten herself and Tamsin into over the years. Getting into fistfights with boys. Stealing a boat from the pier – and getting the two of them swept away on the tide. Dressing up in boy’s clothes and trying to get on a Shelldry team – it hadn’t worked, but Sabine had made the attempt.

Luthadel was an entirely different environment from the Vesta estates, where Sabine had been sheltered. What had been barely allowed in the Southern Dominance would be ostracized here. If Sabine made a wrong step around the wrong person…

Perhaps it’s not Sabine that will have changed, Tamsin thought suddenly. Perhaps I have. There was a time when she had gone along with Sabine’s madcap ideas, and had more fun with her cousin than with almost anyone else, although sometimes not quite comfortably. But things couldn’t quite go back to the way that they had been, not now that Tamsin carried more responsibility for the family name.

But if they could reach across the gap that time had made, it would be so good to have a real friend again. Other than her father and Vizar, Tamsin only had acquaintances in Luthadel, people that she spoke to in courteous, meaningless conversations. She could talk to Sabine, trust her, laugh with her. If.

The carriage drew to a halt along the docks, and Tamsin stepped down with the assistance of the footman. Her eyes scanned for the boat that would be bringing Sabine in – it had arrived a few minutes ago, and was just now lowering the gangway to let off the passengers. There was already a crowd clustered around the base of the gangway to welcome them as they came off; there was no way that Tamsin would be able to push through them. So she stood off a short ways, shading her eyes against the morning sunlight and peering to try and make out her cousin among the disembarking passengers.

#2 Sabine Vesta

Skaa

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

Sabine felt as if her excitement was crawling all over her body, infecting her with the need to jump, run, and shout. She leaned over the railing of the barge, allowing the canal spray to mist over her face and body, laughing at the chilly feeling of the water. She had been on a boat before, she had stolen a dingy and nearly gotten herself and her cousin killed, but never had she been on a anything that was pulled by horses. It felt as if she were soaring above the water and delighted in the the beautiful creatures that worked so hard to tow them along. Staring a little too long at the water, Sabine’s stomach began to churn and she staggered to a seat until the nausea passed.

She had promised her father to act like a real lady and grow up. It was an odd parting, as if he knew something that she did not. He had always been afraid of the city and anything larger than their home. He was so private and fearful of the outside world, as if it would destroy him. Of course, Sabine had no way of knowing that her father’s reasons were sound. He carried a secret that would mean her death which is why he had not exposed her to any social events. Sabine was immature in that effect. Young and impulsive anyway, she had little idea what the real world offered and what it did not offer that she had been freely given. Her weakness would be ignorance.

Of course, ignorance hardly knows it is ignorant and therefore lives life blissfully, at least until it is face with the cold hard truths. Because of this, Sabine rode into Luthadel with song in her heart, while her father knew the truths that she would inevitably learn. Once the journey was coming to an end, Sabine, who lived very much in the moment, only thought of her cousin. It was not as if she hadn’t before, but with the moment of reunion so close, she allowed herself to anticipate it. When she saw the crowd, she could barely hold back until the boat docked, her hazel eyes scanning the people for Tamsin’s face.

Once passengers were allowed to disembark, Sabine snatched up her small handbag (the rest of her luggage being hauled off by ship workers) and snaked her way around the travelers struggling through one another until they reached the neck of the ramp, where a single file line was forced. Sabine waited impatiently for her turn and finally caught sight of her cousin. She tried to wave, but a larger man shoved her aside. Glaring at him, she waited until she was off of the platform to race toward Tamsin, smiling widely, “Tamsin!” When she finally reached her cousin, she threw her arms around the other girl in a large enthusiastic embrace, “I missed you, it’s so great to see you!”

Edited by Sabine Vesta, 25 January 2012 - 02:59 AM.

user posted image

#3 Tamsin Landell

• Heir to House Landell

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age20

• Allomantic StatusN/A

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:47 AM

Tamsin waited patiently as the passengers slowly filed off of the boat. Sabine was no taller than she was, so she would be lost in the crowd on the deck, it was no use searching for her there. But as they came down the gangway, Tamsin had a better chance of spotting her. She scanned each woman's face, searching for her cousin - would Sabine look the same way that she had when Tamsin saw her last?

When her cousin finally stepped onto the gangway, Tamsin recognized her immediately, though. Sabine had changed a little from the girl she had been, but there was no mistaking her face, or the smile that illuminated it as she caught sight of Tamsin as well. Tamsin's own smile answered it instinctively, and she waved at her cousin from where she stood. It was so good to see Sabine again. For the moment, her small concerns disappeared in the warm rush of friendship remembered.

Once she'd reached the bottom of the gangway, Sabine shouted her name all the way across the docks and broke into a run. It was just like Sabine to go racing and shouting like that, with no regard for decorum - it nearly knocked Tamsin off her feet as her cousin wrapped her into a bear-hug, and her hat did go flying. But she locked her arms around Sabine just as tightly in return, and she had no wish to let go for a few seconds.

She pulled back enough to look Sabine over. Her cousin's hair was quite flyaway; Tamsin would have to put it back in order for her in the carriage. "I've missed you so much, Sabine; you can't imagine how lonely it can get here in Luthadel among all these people. It's so good to see you, too! How was your journey?"

Edited by KChan, 15 September 2013 - 11:52 PM.

#4 Sabine Vesta

Skaa

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

When her cousin asked about her journey, Sabine could barely hold her words in, "It was amazing! We could have gotten into a lot of trouble on the barge." She said, confidentially, "There was a gentleman who kept staring at me, but I just ignored him until he finally came over and tried to speak with me. He bothered me all day and would not get the hint that I would rather not have his company Once, he asked me why I journeyed. I told him I needed a special physician to get rid of the horrible disease I was carrying!" She laughed in delight, "He let me alone then, I assure you."

"I can't believe I'm here," She blurted out, barely giving her cousin time to respond to the story she had just told, "You must show me everything! Everything there is worth seeing, of course. I don't wish to see dull sights." She said, laughing.

"Where to first? I'm starving!" She said, her stomach having just made a loud rumbling sound. Her hazel eyes darted from person to building to carriage and she drank in all of the city around her, comparing it to her country home by the shore, "Pater about begged me to stay, poor thing." She said, having always called her father Pater, "He'll terribly lonely, I'm afraid, but it can't be helped. A girl has to grow up sometime. He seemed more anxious than saddened. He is worried, I know, but surely it can't be all that bad. I am with family after all. I wish he didn't worry so much."

Edited by Sabine Vesta, 19 February 2012 - 09:15 PM.

user posted image

#5 Tamsin Landell

• Heir to House Landell

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age20

• Allomantic StatusN/A

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

Tamsin listened to Sabine's excited stream of words, waiting til she could get a word in edgewise to speak. We could have gotten into a lot of trouble on the barge. Tamsin hoped Sabine would understand that she could no longer follow along if her cousin went off on some stunt; that Tamsin would have to hold her back instead. A faint worried frown creased her forehead.

"I will show you everything that I can," she replied as soon as Sabine ran out of breath, "but let us go to the carriage first. You need to have some lunch, and you should see our home, and meet Vizar - and Papa is looking forwards to seeing you again, you know." She pulled Sabine gently towards the carriage as the other girl looked wide-eyed about herself.

"You must write to your papa, of course." Her voice took on a more serious tone. "But Luthadel can be a dangerous place, Sabine. He's not wrong to be concerned." She could just picture Sabine wandering off alone on one of the walks she loved, to see all the sights she wanted to see, and getting herself into a bad area.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users