The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Mutual Assessments

Closed W2 D2 LA Aaron Elariel Winston Elariel Viridian Demesne

23 replies to this topic

#21 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:21 AM

Aaron glanced idly at the page in his hand, intending to skim it and read the rest later. Wait... what did that say? The entire thing was written in jibberish. Just a mess of letters and numbers. It's coded Aaron realized. He knew his house had a top notch system for finding and transmitting information securely, but as he tended to keep his duties fairly social in nature, he'd never had the need to look into the system at all, let alone learn anything about the codes that were used.

Uncle didn't even miss a beat when Winston handed him his credentials. Judging by the man's demeanor, and the casual way in which he had handed over his documents, Aaron wouldn't be surprised if everything Winston wrote was properly coded. If I'm going to be Lord one day, I'll have to learn these codes as well, Aaron realized. The business, polticis, and etiquette were intimidating enough. Now they were expecting him to learn what was practically a whole other language as well? Aaron was beginning to see there was more than one reason Alistair had assigned Winston to be Aaron's assistant. He's trying to mould me into a proper heir. Like Mikhail. Someone who's ready to assume leadership of a Great House. But what did Aaron want? No matter how he came at it, he couldn't quite figure out a way to answer that question that didn't make his head ache.

After a moment of study, during which he hoped he might randomly crack whatever puzzle was in front of him and pick up the cipher naturally, Aaron gave up, and shrugged in defeat. "I'm sorry, Lord Winston, but... I have no idea what this says. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the code you are using. Or with any, for that matter."

#22 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

Winston paused. The House Heir doesn't know codes? He looked at Aaron, looking to see if there was some practical joke at play, but a quick scan of his face showed the heir to be honest. Instead Winston looked to Aaron's head of security. "Lady Viridian, surely as head of Lord Aaron's security you know this code? It is one of the standard intelligence ciphers. You should have gotten reports from the keep guards in this format."

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#23 Viridian Demesne

Chunky the Mistwraith

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

Vie accepted the slip of paper. Impassive eyes scanned the contents, her head tilted just slightly in contemplation finding nothing more than a meaningless scramble of letters and numbers before she returned her attention to the men. It was clearly a coded message, just the sort of thing she could devote her focus into at a later time, instinct practically demanded the code be broken, however more immediate matters were at hand.

Winston Elariel was as uniquely unassuming a man as every other she had ever met save Nerid Nathar, though he was not without his attributes. He was not particularly tall nor was he particularly short. He was dark of hair, with eyes that matched. Sharp hawk like features gave him a predatory, while theoretically aesthetically pleasing, appearance. His actions belayed nothing if not respect, and this separation of attitude and appearance made him difficult to read. Amid this he continued to flare tin intermittently, making it impossible to file away the possible threat he had posed.

"I'm sorry, Lord Winston, Aaron was speaking, "but... I have no idea what this says. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the code you are using. Or with any, for that matter." Viridian tilted her head to take in the heir and identified the fault. Winston would not have shown him the slip if he hadn't thought Aaron could read it... either that or the man was reaching. Digging around and feeling out weaknesses Aaron, for his part, had not attempted to conceal.

"Lady Viridian, Winston turned now to inquire of her. His features conveyed nothing by which she could consider, she had trouble identifying the nature of human feeling in others, and relied on reading facial anomalies as evidence one way or another. Winston's calm impassive expression made it impossible to identify if he was curious why Aaron did not know the code, or if he was continuing to feel out a breech in security, "surely as head of Lord Aaron's security you know this code? It is one of the standard intelligence ciphers. You should have gotten reports from the keep guards in this format."

Aaron had made a mistake in revealing an area of weakness, Viridian however did not share the familial surname. Assuming that the document in her hand was not idle gibberish, if Winston had meant to scratch for a fault on her own end, he had made a mistake offering her the chance to potentially crack the code in her hands.

"I am afraid you are under the incorrect assumption that I have experience with this system of coding," Viridian replied in answer. She folded the note and slipped it into her pocket to examine later, "In explanation, as I have only recently been applied to the position it is likely no such coding system has yet been implemented into our routine. I apologize for any inconvenience this may produce. If it is agreeable, you may provide me with the necessary tools to adopt this method into future dealings."
<div align=center>user posted image</div>
<div align=center>user posted image</div>

Attached NPC's: Davon Demesne, Alyss Demesne

#24 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

Neither know any of the Elariel codes. The head of security has only been recently applied to Aaron... Winston's thoughts continued to asses the situation, he had given a simple code, one of not very high importance, to someone that did not have proper clearance to his knowledge.

"My apologies Lady Viridian, but I am going to have to ask for my letter of credentials back from you, it creates too much of a security breach. Once I have cleared which codes you are authorized to know I'll be more than happy to instruct how to use them. But until then I need that paper back." He stared into her eyes unblinking.

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 06:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users