The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Mistborn Chess

17 replies to this topic

#1 Thoughtful Spurts

Riordan Casuana's Reputation

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hey guys, I had an idea!

can you imagine a mistborn-chess, with different pieces being different mistings that can use special abilities to capture pieces?
Like, say a lurcher who can move the pieces within a certain range in the chessboard toward him, so that it's easier to capture them, or a coinshot that can skip over pieces like the knight (and/or it could be able to capture pieces without moving by using "coins" to kill them), or a soother/rioter that can move any given piece one square in whatever direction and a smoker would be immune to the rioter/soother's abilities. A pewterarm would be able to move more than once per turn, and say, capture two pieces in one turn. I have no idea what a seeker and a tineye could do so, thoughts on that?

There could be two types of pawns one half soldiers, one half skaa and the skaa could have the power to bring about one more skaa for every two that get killed since there's always more skaa to use as redshirts.

The pieces that are mistings would have an Allomantic symbol on a circle (that all pieces except the house lord and the skaa have because the house lord needs to be identifiable and skaa-soldiers are also identifiable) that is always facing you so that only you can identify them (unless your opponent tries to peek, or you make an allomancer known by turning the piece and showing the allomantic symbol to him. Something that you'd have to do if the piece gets challenged by being attacked by the enemy)

And what if each player could arrange their own pieces in whever way they want? And there could be like a bag of tokens that you can put on the circles of the pieces that would define what allomantic power you get you can reach into and draw from at random so you don't really know what you're going to get and you have to strategize based on that maybe you get a bunch of rioters and no mistborn at all but your opponent doesn't know that. So you could get a "bad hand" or a "good hand".

The pieces (except for skaa and the house lord) all look the same (except for the token you put in the circle that your oponent can't see) and you have no idea how your opponent may have arranged them on the board. So you wouldn't be able to know who is what based on the position of the pieces at the beginning because they depend on the player and so you could pass your mistborn off as a coinshot or even a non-allomancer soldier and then surprise them when the piece turns out to be mistborn. If the players are being all serious about it, they'd have an obligator monitor for cheating, and that way they wouldn't have to write the moves down, and it would be harder to remember what piece did what if the game goes on for too long.

When the house lord gets killed the game ends.

Thoughts? Also, it needs a name, anyone have any ideas? (Borborygmus said "Game of Houses" and I think it sounds well, but nothing's written in stone. I also like "House War" or something like that ) :P

Thoughtful Spurts

Characters:

Active:

Terris: Zincell (Feruchemist)
Skaa: Ema (Tineye), Laurence (smoker),

Inactive:

Skaa: Tiffany [WIP], Lord Donahue (smoker) [WIP]. Ms. Grantham [WIP]
Noble: Eleanor Hamilton (thug) [WIP], Charlotte Morel (smoker) [WIP], Kenrick Venture [WIP], Donahue Heir [WIP], Madeline (mistborn) [WIP].

#2 Borborygmus

Nessa's Baywrap

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

I personally am all in favor of making this game into fanon. :P

I'd say just make the pawns skaa though, or possibly scrap them entirely and step away from making it quite as chesslike. Having two types of pawns starts to make things confusing.

I'm picturing a gameboard much like a chessboard, but you have two rows of rectangular game-pieces that to your opponent all look the same, except for your House Lord. On one side of the rectangle they have a plain side, and then on your side of the rectangle they have the Allomantic symbol of their power engraved. It doesn't make sense to give the House Lord any potential powers though, since capturing/killing him is the endpoint of the game. He shouldn't be able to fight.

It'd probably be easier just to draw the gamepieces entirely from the randomized bag, rather than drawing the symbols and then sticking them on the pieces.
user posted image

#3 Thoughtful Spurts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:28 AM

I like the idea of just drawing the pieces randomly from a bag, but if all the pieces are from the same bag how would you tell your pieces apart from your enemy's? Specially if either you or your enemy has a piece that is an open allomancer (so the symbol would be facing you, right?).

I like the idea of the pieces being different colours depending on the side, and you would grab little allomancy cubes/things/tokens/??? from a bag that you can put on top or your pieces, all of which look the same on all sides except one that would be facing you. That way, the cubes/things/tokens/??? can also have just blank as one of the options, and you could get a really terrible hand where most of your pieces are all non-allomancers xD.

Though, if the pawns were skaa, you wouldn't be able to get a pawn to turn into an allomancer if you got it to the other end of the board (which is fine, since if this game is supposed to teach young nobles politics, it's good to have it mirror how the mistborn world works a little more, and in that world your soldiers don't spontaneously turn into mistings or mistborn once you get them deep inside your enemy's territory.)

More thoughts?

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 27 January 2012 - 12:29 AM.

Thoughtful Spurts

Characters:

Active:

Inactive:

Noble: Eleanor Hamilton (thug) [WIP], Charlotte Morel (smoker) [WIP], Kenrick Venture [WIP], Donahue Heir [WIP], Madeline (mistborn) [WIP].

#4 KChan

Atium Chandelier

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:46 AM

I like the idea of keeping more of a chess-like theme. So, say you have your pawns (skaa/soldiers/whatever), your king (the house lord), and the queen (your Mistborn)- and for the other six pieces, you can either select six Mistings from the eight available types, have them assigned for you, or draw them randomly (I'm thinking player consent and/or competition rules would determine which method is used). The ability of each piece and how/where it can move depends on both the type of the piece (rooks versus knights, for example) and the power assigned to it.

Of course, some of the in-world names would change. We would have a Lord and a Mistborn for the King and Queen, of course, and then Knights and Bishops could be Hazekillers and Obligators. :P

Copper should also hide each piece's powers from the opponent. So, for example, you might choose not to use your Coinshot piece's powers right away - this means that the other player won't know which of your pieces is the Coinshot. But if your Mistborn and you Smoker are defeated, and your opponent still has a Seeker active, they can force you to reveal which of your pieces have which powers. This also means that revealing a piece's power after it has been defeated is mandatory.

Also, once per game, your Mistborn can burn atium, undoing your opponent's last move and allowing you to react as if you had foreseen it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Thoughtful Spurts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:00 AM

I like the idea of the chess theme as well, hell the concept itself is kind of centred around it, but taking ramifications of the allomantic powers and putting them into the game would make it really interesting. The idea that you can arrange your pieces however you want I think would really relate to the kinds of political games the nobility plays where each house has its own set of allomancers, and its own personal rules etc, etc.

I like the idea of having, say, hazekillers in the house and having them be immune to attacks made by mistings xD.

Also: LOVE the idea of the seeker allowing you to see which pieces are what once your smoker or mistborn is defeated and that revealing your piece's power after it has been defeated is mandatory, and the atium is awesome :)

Thoughtful Spurts

Characters:

Active:

Inactive:

#6 KChan

Atium Chandelier

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:19 AM

The idea that you can arrange your pieces however you want I think would really relate to the kinds of political games the nobility plays where each house has its own set of allomancers, and its own personal rules etc, etc.

But you can't always arrange your pieces however you want in real life, and that's the fun of it. Each house's Allomancers have their own strengths and weaknesses as combatants, and - more importantly - as human beings. Not to mention, no noble lord, no matter how powerful, can decide, "I think some more Pewterarms will be born into my house soon." They have to take what they're given and make the best of it. That's why I came up with the idea of taking existing pieces - with their own strengths and weaknesses - and randomly giving them Allomantic powers. It's basically a parallel to how it happens in real life.

Besides, part of what makes even normal chess an interesting game is the fact that in order to make a strategy work, you have to start from the default lineup and move your pieces into the positions you want, while defending against your opponent.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Thoughtful Spurts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:41 AM

Not to mention, no noble lord, no matter how powerful, can decide, "I think some more Pewterarms will be born into my house soon." They have to take what they're given and make the best of it. That's why I came up with the idea of taking existing pieces - with their own strengths and weaknesses - and randomly giving them Allomantic powers. It's basically a parallel to how it happens in real life.

And that's the reason why the allomantic powers would be drawn at random, and then what you would do is choose, where you'll put your thug, and where you'll put your lurcher, or your coinshot, etc in the board. That's what I meant by arranging your pieces however you want.

If you take existing pieces and give them allomantic powers... what would that mean? If you take a knight who is also a coinshot, does it mean the knight is added the ability to jump farther over pieces, or to capture pieces without getting on the square that they were on?

I think that instead of that we should look at the abilities each allomancer has, and see how they would translate to a game like that. I like the idea that all pieces could move like pawns, so you can't discern what piece is what solely on the way they move, but coinshots could also move like knights and jump over pieces. I just think that while the chess theme is very interesting, that it could be restricting to try to shape it into that particular mould if a different and more interesting way to use this were to be thought up.

If you make the queen the mistborn, and coinshots have the ability to jump over pieces, that would mean that the queen would have the ability to capture any piece within a two-square radius, how do you defeat that? and what about having a pawn get promoted, would that mean that they're suddenly snapped and you get to pick another power from the bag, or that they automatically turn into mistborn, or that they get the powers of the queen to move in horizontal and diagonal ways?

I think having a game where all pieces move the same, but where certain pieces have special abilities would make it more interesting, say giving every piece the ability to move like a pawn, but adding forward-diagonal as well, but coinshots can jump over other pieces, and lurchers can move a piece closer toward them, and emotional allomancers can move one enemy piece one square in any direction they want, and say, seekers can discover what other allomancers are like you said, and smokers can hide them, and also be immune to emotional allomancy, and thugs can move twice in a turn, or capture twice in a turn...

Of course, these are all ideas and we're free to disagree on what the game should be like. :)

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 27 January 2012 - 01:46 AM.

Thoughtful Spurts

Characters:

Active:

Inactive:

#8 Will

Skaa

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

I like the original concept, and the idea for rectangular, indistinct pieces. Perhaps you have a set amount of Skaa, then a guaranteed Lord and Mistborn, and then the remaining pieces are randomly drawn and arrayed within a 'deployment' zone on the board, that zone being the first two rows of the board with the Skaa first, like Chess.

If moves and pieces could be set down, I think it would be a great game to play in RP's and OOC.

Edited by Will, 09 February 2012 - 05:31 PM.

#9 Guest_ReaderAt2046_*

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

It sounds to me more like Stratego than chess. Stratego pieces all do move the same way, but some have special powers

#10 Observer

Skaa

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

What Reader said. At the current set of ideas, the game feels a bit more stratego-ish.

Say...all mental and all physical metals move the same way, ex:
All mentals are like bishops, all physical are like rooks
That way, once they start moving strangely, you can tell they're misting, but not exactly what kind they are.

Hazekillers move like knights. That ability is part of what makes the knight so good at Queen-killing. It's the only piece that can hit her without being hit. Likewise, a hazekiller would have a totally different moveset, allowing it to take allomantic pieces much more easily.

Edited by Observer, 03 September 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#11 emeralis00

Skaa

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:34 PM

If it interests you, there is a website that runs a program that you can upload images of game pieces to an play it as if it were a board game with other people. Its pretty good, though it takes a little bit to get used to.
http://taebl.com/

#12 Observer

Skaa

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

Rook: Thug
Knight: Hazekiller
Bishop: Coinshot/lurcher
Queen: Mistborn
King: Noble
Pawn: Pawn? Skaa(Unlikely)?

#13 Lanscaper

Steward in Training

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

I guess the pawn in this case would be the local Militia.

Throwing in some wrenches. Kandra and Koloss aren't included.

Player Characters:

Noblemen: Winston Elariel

Skaa: Jonesi | Pipes

Work in Progress: Martin Meson - De Facto House Lord, Marcus Meson - House Heir, Jimmi - Foreman in Training, NeeSun - Kandra of a Thousand Minds, Zulo - Keeper of Forgotten Foods

#14 Observer

Skaa

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

Lanscaper, on Sep 18 2012, 05:05 PM, said:

I guess the pawn in this case would be the local Militia.

Throwing in some wrenches. Kandra and Koloss aren't included.
In the name of keeping it like chess, Kandra and Koloss make things a touch overcomplicated. Nobles don't have access to Koloss anyways.
Now, if we want a second, more complex game, probably like stratego, then we could add Kandra to the mix, though I'm not sure how they'd work.

#15 Thoughtful Spurts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

Well, I originally envisioned it more like stratego--excepting I didn't know anything about stratego at all and so I never thought of the comparison.

I like the idea of a set of indistinct pieces all moving the same way, with some random pieces having allomancy related abilities like being able to capture pieces from afar (coinshot) or being able to move the other players' pieces one spot (emotional allomancy) or being able to see the other player's allomancy or hide it (seekers, smokers), etc.

Not sure about Koloss or Kandra though. Koloss are controlled by the Lord Ruler, so I imagine they'd be off the game.

Kandra could be a little disk able to bring a captured piece of your team back (without the allomancy). And maybe you get it when you draw the random tokens for the allomancy?

Thoughtful Spurts

Characters:

Active:

Inactive:

#16 Observer

Skaa

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

I think kandra are too rare and quirky to work properly, koloss as well. Mistborn is pushing it IMO. Still, Stratego Mistborn game would be pretty good.

#17 bluesmcgroove

Skaa

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:08 AM

View PostObserver, on 19 September 2012 - 12:00 AM, said:

Rook: Thug
Knight: Hazekiller
Bishop: Coinshot/lurcher
Queen: Mistborn
King: Noble
Pawn: Pawn? Skaa(Unlikely)?

I realize I'm necroposting this and do apologize, but I love this idea and want to expand a tad.

For the Bishop, have one be the Coinshot, and one be the Lurcher (as in RL chess, one bishop is dark spaces, one is light).

I think, to keep the game actually like chess, you'll have to limit the types of Mistings playable. Maybe only use the physical metals, excluding tin, making the playable allomancers be the Coinshot, Lurcher, Thug, and Mistborn.

This way the game is spiced up to be Mistborn like, while still being Chess.

What about special rules though, perhaps something to do with Lerasium or Snapping as opposed to the typical chess promotion.

What special rules, besides piece movement could there be?
What of a Steelpush, or an Ironpull? Could they move other pieces? Could they move through your own pieces?

#18 Guest_Abraxas MacGuile_*

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:14 PM

The plan for that was yes. Tin seems to be providing some issues, so here's an idea:
Atium can be used every 16 turns, excluding the one granted by using it.
Tin has a 50% chance to negate a use of Atium the first time Tin is used this way, and is divided by the number of subsequent attempts to use it this way for one piece that burns Tin in a given use of Atium.
Atium can be burned in response to another player using Atium. Instead of the normal effects, you don't revert your pieces, effectively countering Atium 100% of the time in a 2-player game. You can burn Atium this way once every 4 turns.
~~~~
My reasoning for using Tin this way is from how Vin beat Zand in The Well of Ascension, and the game might work better if styled after Shassatan from the Lodestone Trilogy. In that game, up to 4 players are supported and all pieces are identical to each other except in terms of color,which is in no way indicative of the pieces' special abilities. Therefore, memory is an important skill for the game. Pieces have different roles, which have different abilities.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users