The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Indifference

Open W2 D1 MA Sebastien Perrault Garren Valoren

14 replies to this topic

#1 Sebastien Perrault

• Heir to House Perrault

Lord Prelan
  • Age20

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

Another disaster, and another execution the day following. Another day wasted, sitting in uncomfortable seats under the hot sun and falling ash, watching Inquisitors slaughter a bunch of skaa. At least he didn't attend the Casuana ball last night with a date; the executions had fallen during the exact time when etiquette mandated a polite visit to one's date the day after a ball, and now it was too late. The women would be busy doing something else. Sebastien couldn't help but pity the poor men who now had to deal with offended dates thanks to the inconvenient timing.

That was the worst thing about the executions: they disrupted everyone's lives for an entire day. Now all the house lords would have to scramble to get caught up with business and getting up to speed with the latest news. That would be Sebastien's job one day, but for now, he just needed to escape and clear his head.

And so here he was, ambling around Ahlstrom Square, idly kicking bits of of ash out of the way as he walked along without any real purpose. It was oddly quiet without Rodolphe around, and despite enjoying the quiet, he found himself wishing that he had something more entertaining to do.

Maybe he would get lucky, and encounter someone else who was as bored as he was.

Posted Image

#2 Garren Valoren

• Lord of Valoren

Steward in Training
  • Age54

• Relationship StatusMarried (Eleanna Valoren)

• OriginBelinsk, Farmost Dominance

• Allomantic StatusNone

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

Executions were never a pretty sight, even when you were at a distance. You could still hear the screams, still hear the axe rending flesh as it separated heads and shoulders. There were executions of the kind in Belinsk, however Garren hadn't been mandated to attend. Even his grandfather, Marius, abhorred the idea of public killings. It only satisfied an almost cannibalistic minority anyway.

Though he had noticed his aversion to such events remarkably stronger since Eleanna had stepped into his life. The night he'd discovered she'd been a skaa had also been a night of realisation. He'd needed to walk, be out and moving where memory couldn't sit and fester. Though that also worked up a suitable excuse to be out that stuffy study room of his, and he had needed to practice again.

Garren brought his ebony cane, as always when he went out anywhere, and two wooden swords used for practising sword techniques. A park was an odd place to practice but it was even more vain an attempt to find a partner willing to let their hair down here in public.

Perhaps the younger generation would be more recipient to his challenge.

Edited by Lyrebon, 09 October 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#3 Sebastien Perrault

• Heir to House Perrault

Lord Prelan
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:04 PM

Here now, what was going on over there? There was an older gentleman - perhaps in the later end of his middle years or just past them - carrying a cane and two wooden swords. Judging by his clothes, his house's wealth was probably roughly similar to the Perraults, or close enough anyways, but Sebastien didn't recognize him. Not that that was particularly surprising; Luthadel was filled with people, from longtime residents to a constantly rotating cast of newcomers hoping to find a place for themselves.

Unfortunately, because of this, Sebastien wasn't entirely sure where to place the stranger in his mental hierarchy. If, as he had guessed, their two houses were roughly equal in wealth, it depended on birth: if he was the Lord of his house, then he ranked above Sebastien. If he was not, then as an heir apparent, Sebastien would rank slightly ahead. But if Sebastien's guess was wrong, then that would throw off his previous assessments entirely.

Better to avoid approaching him, especially with the age difference added in - and then there were the swords the man was carrying. Sebastien had no real desire to go home black and blue today.

That was no reason not to linger here a little, though. Maybe something interesting would happen that Sebastien could watch. From a safe distance.

Posted Image

#4 Garren Valoren

• Lord of Valoren

Steward in Training
  • Age54

• Allomantic StatusNone

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:56 AM

Garren propped his cane against a withered tree, the wood gnarled and branches barren like all trees Garren had ever come across. He wasn't ready to relate the shrivelled and twisted bark to society here in Luthadel, but even he had to admit his wife's skaa mentality was rubbing off.

Now, he required a partner to spa with. It didn't matter if they were any good, Garren reckoned he just needed to occupy his mind, calm his anxiety. He loved his work but sitting at a desk surrounded by it wouldn't be as liberating as simply swinging around a length of wood.

People roamed around Ahlstrom with a pointed look of determination on their faces, with places to be. Others simply strolled, enjoying each step they took. Looking around Garren found none he could engage, no-one would look in his direction infact. A nobleman wielding two wooden swords was obviously the man to avoid eye contact with, lest you be roped into something you regretted.

It wasn't his intention to make someone regret it. It was the stimulation only duelling could provide he needed. But why was no-one interested in such a fine sport? Everyone was... who was that? There was someone looking at him after all, and he seemed to have been watching Garren since he'd arrived judging by the boy's posture. He'd do.

Garren marched over, leaving shoe prints compressed in the ash behind him. On closer inspection the young boy appeared well groomed, apparently from high stature but the way he regarded Garren hinted at a curiosity Garren might be able to pull out of him.

"Good day, sir, would you perhaps know how to use one of these?" He lofted one of the swords up for the young noble to see.

Edited by Lyrebon, 09 October 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#5 Sebastien Perrault

• Heir to House Perrault

Lord Prelan
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:21 AM

Oh Lord Ruler. Why was he coming over here? He knew he had been staring too long! Nothing to do about it now, though.

"Not very well, I'm afraid, My Lord," he said, giving a slight bow. The difference in their rank was too difficult to tell for sure, so it was better to err on the side of politeness. "I know which is the pointy end - or representative of it - but not much else. If it's a match you want," he added with a self-deprecating chuckle, "I'm afraid I wouldn't be much of a challenge."

Posted Image

#6 Garren Valoren

• Lord of Valoren

Steward in Training
  • Age54

• Allomantic StatusNone

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

The man was amused by the proposal but Garren could sense the uneasiness in him. How would that effect his posture under the stress of a sparing match, Garren wondered.

"You have hands, they'll do the work for you." Half-smiling he turned half towards the 'pitch' waiting on the young man. He attempted to ease his doubts, "Garren Valoren, my young sir; how might I address my opponent?"

Even if this young gent wasn't the challenge he acknowledged, Garren would find pleasure in one eschewing their own personal time to satisfy a whim of his. It was commendable the young lad even acquiesced, for those strolling through the park - stern faced and lock-jawed - would observe with mild disgust.

The man was staking a little reputation at the expense of exercise. However, Garren knew an insightful man appreciated that quality in another - to be bold.

Edited by Lyrebon, 09 October 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#7 Sebastien Perrault

• Heir to House Perrault

Lord Prelan
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:21 AM

Valoren. Valoren. Sebastien turned the name over in his mind as they walked, but even though it sounded familiar, he couldn't place it. They must have been a relatively new arrival in Luthadel; for all Sebastien knew he should know who all these houses were, he could never quite keep up with them. But if they were coming to Luthadel, then that meant his initial guess was more or less correct: the Valorens must be close enough to the Perraults that it was safe for Sebastien to err on the side of caution without losing face.

"Sebastien Perrault," he answered, giving an appropriately polite bow. "Son of Lord Mainfred. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Posted Image

#8 Garren Valoren

• Lord of Valoren

Steward in Training
  • Age54

• Allomantic StatusNone

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:45 AM

Garren was doubly impressed now. The boy had both accepted the implied challenge of a senior member of the nobility and had the grace of formality too. If his close-quarters weren't to standard at least the son of Lord Mainfred would walk away with a high recommendation of himself.

The name Mainfred meant something to Garren, his eyes and ears pervaded surreptitiously around Luthadel by the origin he'd rather not question. Matthias knew only to relate relevant information and it was comforting to know on the receiving end of a good thrashing would be the son of the House with major contracts with Great Houses for distribution of obsidian weaponry.

"The pleasure's all mine, son of Lord Mainfred." Garren performed a curt bow that was both reciprocal and customary to the sport. "I'm happy to give you some pointers if you're not overly confident, Lord Perrault. Otherwise I shall try not to upset your father." Garren would not risk potential business from a bruise.

#9 Sebastien Perrault

• Heir to House Perrault

Lord Prelan
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:10 AM

"Well, I'm glad to hear that," Sebastien said with a nervous laugh. On the inside, though, he was dreading this. Just how difficult was this man planning on making things? As the seconds ticked by, he found himself dreading this more and more, but he couldn't back out now. And who knew? Maybe he would make a new connection for his house.

He stood there with his cane, trying to look poised and relaxed, ready as he ever would be to get started.

Posted Image

#10 Garren Valoren

• Lord of Valoren

Steward in Training
  • Age54

• Allomantic StatusNone

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

With a two-handed grip on his practice sword he made a wide strike, bringing it high over his shoulder so it was clearly visible to Lord Perrault. Even amateurs could block it with a keen mind and twitchy reflexes.

Garren remained passive, his face betrayed nothing. He said he was going easy on the young lord, if the boy expected a little hand-shaking he might be wary of sticking his hand out in future. This was the way he'd raised Kaled and he was positive he hated Garren for it.

#11 Sebastien Perrault

• Heir to House Perrault

Lord Prelan
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

Lord Valoren struck first, as Sebastien had been hoping he would. It was a wide strike, easy enough for even Sebastien to block; it seemed he had meant what he said about taking it easy. Or at least, if he hadn't, he wasn't going all out just yet.

He brought his cane up to block as he had been instructed, then attacked in turn. It wasn't the best of counters, compared to what more skilled duelists could do, but he hoped at least he wasn't embarrassing himself too badly.

Posted Image

#12 Garren Valoren

• Lord of Valoren

Steward in Training
  • Age54

• Allomantic StatusNone

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Sebastien reacted well enough that he earned a small smile and nod of satisfaction from Garren, transforming his own strike into a counter that Garren stepped lightly to turn. He had to tell himself not to get carried away; this young lord was not his own son, and he definitely wasn't a half-breed skaa needing caution and hardness beaten into him.

As it went on - light strikes interspersed with several striking blows that had to be making Sebastien concentrate, but not harsh enough to start straining his abilities - Garren quickened his pace, swiping and jabbing, nodding admiringly when Sebastien turned his blade and quickly found an opening in Garren's stance.

Though basic his counters were delivered with impressive reflexes and he seemed to know where he was aiming. The boy has definitely had some training.

#13 Sebastien Perrault

• Heir to House Perrault

Lord Prelan
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

The match went on longer than Sebastien had thought it would; it seemed Lord Valoren was a courteous duelist, adjusting his own movements to perfectly match Sebastien's modest skill. There wouldn't be a true winner here today, but both of them would save face. It was an impressive move.

Also impressive was the fact that Sebastien had found his way through Lord Valoren's guard, his cane stopping just a couple inches away from the other man's chest. Of course it was only because Lord Valoren had allowed it to happen, but it still felt good to succeed even a little bit.

"You are quite good at this, my Lord," he said at last, when he had caught his breath.

Posted Image

#14 Garren Valoren

• Lord of Valoren

Steward in Training
  • Age54

• Allomantic StatusNone

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

It wasn't long before Garren had satiated his curiousity and doubly forgot personal problems for the moment. The young Perrault seemed more thoroughly worked than himself as Garren offered to take the fair gent's dueling sword, unconsciously brushing his chest where Perrault had scored a point.

"It would seem you do in fact know which is the pointy end - or the representative of it." He said, with an amiable grin, when the boy had regained his breath. "Since you haven't said anything of my character I'll assume I'm relatively new to the ears of the nobility here." He dabbed his forehead with a kerchief drawn from an inside pocket of the jacket he'd left on a branch of the withering tree. Offering a spare to Perroult and leaning on his now retrieved cane he extended another offer.

"I find myself endeared by your skill, sir Perrault, and strike me down if I don't ask if your palette for good liquor is as healthy as your swordsmanship?"

Edited by Lyrebon, 30 October 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#15 Sebastien Perrault

• Heir to House Perrault

Lord Prelan
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:19 AM

Lord Valoren found himself endeared? By Sebastien's skill? He was joking, right? Or perhaps trying to flatter him? He didn't seem to Sebastien to be the sort of man who was prone to such a thing, but that didn't mean much of anything in Luthadel. Still, it was better than being ridiculed for sure, so he would accept the compliment, whether or not he felt it was deserved.

"I suppose that depends on whose opinion of my swordsmanship you're using," he said with a bit of a smirk. "I won't tell you what my dueling instructor would have to say about that comparison; it'd be far too embarrassing. But in all seriousness, I am rather fond of a fine glass of wine now and then. I don't partake often, but it's a nice indulgence now and then."

Posted Image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users