The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
» Forum Rules
» The Story Thus Far
» Character Application
» Frequently Asked Questions
» Character System Guide
» Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
» The Three Metallic Arts
» Guide to the Final Empire
» Map of Luthadel
» The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
» Introduce Yourself
» Universal Continuity Thread
» The Timeline
» Adoptable Characters
» Wanted Characters
» Face Registry
» Open Threads List

Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Unwanted Attention

29 replies to this topic

#1 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:43 AM

That evening had seen Sanna walking out with one of her numerous gentleman-acquaintances. After her failure to secure a date for the Casuana Ball, it had become clear to her that she did need to make sure she had someone for Elariel. It would be terribly embarrassing for Sanna Tekiel to spend two weeks without a date; someone had to ask her for this round. She rather liked Lindar Deslandes; he could be quite funny and engaging at times, and he was handsome in a blocky, angular sort of way. If he asked her to Elariel, she might accept, she thought – though she had an eye on Luci’s friend, Jalen Domaille, too. He was more clever than Lindar, and better-looking – he had that tall, dark, smirking thing going for him - and Sanna could cross-examine him about Luci a little.

Her mind was wandering elsewhere, until Lindar brought her back to herself, taking hold of both her hands. “Sanna.” She blinked and looked up at him; he had just said something, but she hadn’t really been paying attention.

He was staring at her with a particular intensity. She’d noticed it a few times when they had been out together, before, but she hadn’t thought much of it. Now, for some reason, that look made her uncomfortable, and she looked away and tried to break the tension with a nervous laugh. “What’s gotten into you?” All of a sudden she became aware that they were off by themselves in the gathering gloom. She hadn’t noticed that he had been drawing her away from the other people in the park; they were in a little arbor next to the wall of an ash shelter, hidden from public view. She wished they weren’t, and drew back slightly, but found that he still had hold of her hands.

“Sanna,” he whispered in a low voice. “I love you. I’ve wanted you for a long time, and now…I don’t want to wait any more. That’s what’s gotten into me. Can’t you see it?”

She pulled one hand free and put it out between them to keep him away. “Come on, Lindar,” she said as lightly as she could, “that’s sweet, but you aren’t in love with me. You’re in love with some sort of idea. I’m nothing but fluff and silk; don’t you know I never take anyone seriously? Just forget about all of this, and let’s go on as we were.” Maybe they could laugh it off, leave it behind. She’d make sure not to see Lindar again for a while, and by then he would be over it.

“I can’t forget about you,” he said a little more roughly. “I know you feel it too, I’ve seen it in the way you look at me, the way you move with me when we dance. You’re beautiful, Sanna.”

She had not. She had treated him no differently than she did any other man, she had never thought of him that way at all. How could he have come up with this fantasy? This needed to be shut down, right now. Sanna tried to wrench her other hand free. “It’s impossible for me to feel the same way for you. This is enough. If you don’t stop this nonsense, I will not have anything to do with you, Lindar.”

He was ignoring her; his hand closed tightly, almost painfully on her arm, and he stepped in; she stepped backwards, and found herself backed up into the wall behind the arbor. And Lindar was closer than before. “Women say one thing and mean another,” he whispered into her ear.

Something different entered her tone. “I am saying exactly what I mean. Let go of me at once,” she commanded, both furious and frightened now. “Get your hands off me!”

He didn’t let go. Instead, he pushed her up against the wall, and pinned her there. That blocky frame wasn’t just weight, it was strength, much more than her own; he bent his head to force a kiss on her, and then his mouth trailed over her chin and to her neck.

This couldn’t be happening. It couldn’t be happening. Sanna was frozen, unable to move. She had to fight him or scream for help or do something, but none of her muscles responded. This could not be happening.

Edited by KChan, 15 September 2013 - 12:53 AM.

#2 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

He could never seem to begin a stroll in a good mood. An activity that was meant to be relaxing; free his mind, let him breathe when instead all it did was to invigorate his annoyance. Bloody fool. Bloody, bloody... Matthias and those damn boys could find a lake to drown in.

The park served a need to walk without aim, here you didn't need direction or cause. It was suited to keeping yourself mobile without appearing anxious and you could saunter as much as you pleased without being an inconvenience to a crowd. He was so busy swearing at the spectre face of Matthias he hadn't noticed walking from the pathway onto the grass. Looking around he noticed a few cold stares of disapproval. Shaking his head he spotted a sheltered location not too far away that would be splendid for a brooding man.

Kaled could imagine those mouths getting wider as he did the complete opposite of their expectations by walking straight across the grass straight. He didn't need to turn around to know that. Had he stepped back off the grass, appeared apologetic, the nobility would have nodded their approval. An unconventional man, however, often did things outside of people's expectations.

Speaking of vexatious situations as he made his way across the park, Kaled still hadn't gotten over the whole débâcle with Lucille Deveaux and that candy-cane of a friend of hers, Sanna. He hadn't forgotten her name, hadn't forgotten her for one moment. If not for feeling terrible at upsetting her then the fact that his father had used her name to punctuate the castigating he'd given Kaled on the matter. He'd phased most of it out in an attempt to muffle his shame though he'd caught the gist of it: Tekiel, Deveaux, Great Houses and respect. Nobility sure had a sturdy noose of customs to strangle themselves with.

Sanna, however, had spoken to him with intended patience, even if she had been blatantly amused by his ineptitude. Before the slip up with the skaa girl, Sanna seemed as pleasant as Kaled had expected noblewomen to get in the Central Dominance. Or anywhere; women were mostly all the same no matter how far you travelled, you could try to outrun them but they'd always be waiting at the next populated place you came across. Those thoughts had brought him to the shelter, or whatever name landscapers had for these things. Culture wasn't one of his strong points.

His mind still on Sanna - odd that it was that she should linger in his thoughts but glad they were off forcibly drowning Matthias at least - Kaled had approached the shaded structure. Feeling as though it should go by a proper name he began to wonder even as Sanna's voice reverberating in the annals of his memory. It was a warm voice, soothing, relaxing. What the bleeding ashes is that Kaled Valoren?

His thoughts interrupted by a rustling nearby and, again, Sanna Tekiel's voice. This time certainly not from a recent memory he followed the source of the sound and rounded a corner. Only what he found enraged him further. With Matthias he just had to suck it up but a man forcing himself on a lady was a different matter. Before thought had finished analysing the scene, Kaled leapt forward pulling the pervert off of the lady and swung him around away from the woman. Twisting as if in a ballet, Kaled's clenched fist greeted the man's face as he twirled to face Kaled.

He awaited a reprisal and, satisfied the skirt-lifter wasn't going to make one, turned to the lady only to find he was having to force back the desire to widen his eyes with shock. He'd just defended Sanna Tekiel from a would-be molestor. Kaled could only stand there in silence. Unable to think for a moment he glanced down.

Edited by Lyrebon, 28 January 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#3 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

Before Sanna could find the power to act, Lindar was suddenly yanked away from her. Someone had come to help her. She was still too upset to instantly understand what was going on, but knowing that she wasn’t alone anymore gave the beginnings of relief. It must have been Aldwin, or maybe one of her friends who had come to her defense.

She stared wide-eyed at Kaled Valoren instead.

“I’b sorry,” Lindar’s voice sounded horrified from where he had staggered back, clutching his face with both hands. “I’b sorry! I didn’t mean – I didn’t know what I was doing, I – “

“Don’t ever speak to me again, Lindar. Don’t ever look at me again, don’t ever come near me again!” Freed from that paralyzing influence, her anger came out on top, even over her shock and fear for the moment. She spoke with the coldest contempt that she could invest in her voice, and then turned away from Lindar with a shudder.

Sanna was not over her fear. The invasion of her space still left her with a nauseated feeling, compounded by the knowledge that she had come so close to disaster. If things had gone even just a little farther and she hadn’t been able to overcome that frozen terror – she could have been exposed, her life could have essentially ended right there, and Lord Ruler knew what it would have done to Tekiel. She stood there for a moment, pressing both hands to her abdomen, just breathing and trying to calm down.

It was a few seconds before she could even try to think about Kaled. Why was he there? Of all people, why would he have helped her? She was glad that he had shown up, she would have been glad that anyone had, but completely taken aback at the identity of her defender. Kaled Valoren, who had insulted her, tried to make a pass at a skaa girl in front of her, in general behaved like an animal. He’d rescued her from Lindar, who she’d thought was amusing and charming until a minute or so ago.

“Thank you,” she said quietly. Before anything else, that was the right thing to say. “Why…?” No, whatever she thought of him, he’d just behaved decently, and asking why someone would have done the right thing was beyond offensive. And he hadn’t even recognized her at first. She could think back now and recall the expression of shock on his face. “Thank you, Lord Kaled.”

#4 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

Kaled still wasn't over his initial shock; Sanna, the woman that had given him a tongue lashing without remorse, was standing before him yet again. How would she react to seeing him? Surely if any man had come to her rescue she'd be thankful, but the concept of their first meeting painted a grim picture of himself he didn't like. He wasn't sure why it bothered him so much. Sanna Tekiel was just another pompous noble, parading around all haughty and important. Wasn't she?

If he couldn't even convince himself of that fact why had he chosen to believe it in the first place?

He was busy focusing on a spot on the ground while Sanna vented her anger at the pervert. Kaled was attempting to burrow through the stone paving, maybe dig a hole big enough to bury his awkwardness in... and himself, before Sanna inevitably turned her attentions to him. He could just leave. No, that guy might come back even if he was stammering out an apology now. Some men didn't know when to quit even after being so brutally beaten and Kaled couldn't always be around.

Again, he found it odd that he should care so much for Sanna's well being. Hadn't the dress shop taught him anything of their relationship, what was lacking of one anyway. Feeling there was nothing to be said, having played the part in Sanna's safety – he'd decided touchy-feely wouldn't be coming back watching him scamper away like he did after all – he was about to leave.

It was quiet, almost breathless, but three simple words got him to stay. A dynamic combination with duplicitous meaning. They rooted him to the spot with both shock – shock at the gratitude being expressed – and the pendent like question that requested, no required, an answer. He didn't in the least not expect her confusion, particularly after the impression warranted her earlier today. So neither could he take offence to what would normally be doubt of a man's character.

“I wouldn't stand by and just let that happen... uh, my Lady.” This time he wouldn't forget himself, there was no excuse for not acknowledging she was higher than he was. Even if it was just courtesy, Kaled wasn't hoping to please Sanna and earn her blessing, his words were true but he didn't expect everyone to understand that. Mostly it was the ability to not care how the nobility felt about his actions, but Sanna seemed to illuminate his guilt. What he said next could have been a reaction to that guilt, or possibly just a natural desire to want to get along with this woman.

“I, uh, feel I should apologise, for everything. I'm not a particularly subtle man as you just saw with mister handsy right then.” He gestured in the direction the pervert scampered off to, smiling a little despite the awkward tension. Before shaking his head and frowning.

“Nor am I... ah, what am I saying? A-are you O.K. m... my Lady?” He had to swallow, his annoyance at himself was beginning to build up.

#5 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:55 PM

Ordinarily you was supposed to assure someone that you were fine, but she really couldn’t say she was. Ruffled feathers didn’t begin to cover it. The worst was that she had frozen up. She should have screamed, she should have fought Lindar, she should have done something. She could have Soothed him. Why hadn’t she thought of it? It would have been better to reveal herself as a Soother than to risk what else could have happened. But she’d just…frozen up and almost let it happen.

It was just like before.

She tried to shake that thought off. “I’m not entirely alright just yet,” Sanna answered candidly, “it’s going to take me a little while to get over what just happened. But I’m not hurt.”

I wouldn’t stand by and just let that happen. She believed him. Actions spoke louder than words, and he really hadn’t known who she was at first. What in the world had been going on with him and that skaa girl, then? Did he really simply have some sort of…extremely strange and inappropriate perspective, coming from Farmost? Sanna realized she had a choice. She could either move on past that and leave it behind, even if the abnormality itched at her. Or she could hold it against him, and ignore the fact that she owed him a lot, now.

She made her decision, and held out her hand to him. “Apology accepted. Sometimes I can be wrong about people, Lindar is evidence to that. I think I may have been wrong about you.”

#6 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:34 AM

Whatever was going on in her mind echoed through her words. Sanna was honest, if blunt, and wouldn't let Kaled brood over her condition by lying. It was obvious she wasn't fit anyway, far from it. Though a beauty such as Sanna must attract a lot of male attention, these scenarios can't have been new to her. Maybe it had never happened to her before but she had to suspect not all men had honest intentions.

Even now, Kaled wouldn't be offended if she'd dashed away or asked him to go away. But instead she was, in no direct terms, asking him to stay. Feeling improper to speak now he held his tongue until Sanna could compose herself.

Although the biggest shock of the day came by her remission of prejudices. By admitting her initial impression of him mendacious that itself changed his opinion of her entirely, not least because he imagined all noblewomen to be the same feather heads imbursed by father's wages. Then he too had an admission of falsehood to clear.

“I-I find myself doing this a lot to...today, it seems... But I must apologise again; I, er, had the impression Luthadel's ladies to be as, erm... frivolous of mind as their dresses. It appears there are exceptions.” Managing to glance up at Sanna he added a smile, before realising what he was doing and quickly looking away again.

Checking to see if Sir-Ponce was still lingering somewhere, Kaled scanned the park. It was an effort to calm his nerves as always around a woman, but he didn't think he was being too rude with the gesture. Sanna had seemed to latch on to that trait almost instantaneously in the store, so she was a perceptive enough person to realise what this was.

His voice took on a more sombre tone as he might've realised why Sanna had seemed more shaken than was usual. Not that he'd witnessed this kind of thing before, he'd just, well, he'd actually expected Sanna herself to have beaten the guy up. Instead he'd found her frozen, not screaming for help. That alone was odd.

“If there's anything I can do to help, please but ask.”

Edited by Lyrebon, 29 January 2012 - 01:36 AM.

#7 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:16 AM

He was having trouble looking at her again, and she seemed to have embarrassed him by saying what she did. He…really needed some help with that awkwardness, didn’t he? Since he was avoiding looking at her, he didn’t realize that she was holding out her hand, and so he didn’t take it. Sanna withdrew it rather than calling his attention to the mistake.

“I’m awfully sorry to correct you, but I am very frivolous of mind. If I try to be serious and practical and wise, I’m terrible at it. But there are a number of ladies in Luthadel who have a lot more sense than me, and some of them who don’t even wear frivolous dresses.”

She smiled up at him, and tilted her head slightly to one side to consider him from a new angle. She had done him a little damage earlier, and now it occurred to her that she could correct it. “Anything you can do, hm? Do you have anywhere tremendously important to be going?”

#8 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

And again it was her that was putting him right. Life was different here in Luthadel; it had the feeling of being in House Araede, except you probably had more chance of escaping Luthadel than you did those harpies. However brash her statement was that made him realise his error, Kaled couldn't help but turn and face Sanna, his mouth quivering. He regarded her for a moment, then let out the laugh he'd failed to hold down.

To punctuate his humour he added a compliment.
“You are a rare one.” He hoped she didn't take that the wrong way, it was just refreshing to finally find a woman here that wasn't so preoccupied with petty squabbles. Of course, judging by the audacious dresses Sanna chose to wore, her point about frivolity was obvious indeed. Though not half as frivolous as the inquiry to his activities pending this encounter. He could imagine what she meant by that, his mind immediately drawing up ridiculous scenarios of Sanna humiliating Kaled for her pleasure.

He groaned inwardly knowing it was a risky thing to offer your help, but he couldn't rescind his offer now, could he?

“N-not that I, ah, know of, no.” And, knowing he'd regret this, he added, “What did you have in mind?”

#9 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

"Why yes, thank you," Sanna said brightly, "I am a rare one, aren't I? I'm also stunningly beautiful. And modest." She cast her eyes down in a mock-shy fashion for about two seconds, then looked up again.

"It occurred to me that my escort is gone, and was profoundly undesirable anyways." Lindar had managed to escape, and she was not sure where he had gone, but she was sure that she did not want to encounter him again, even if he would not get another chance to isolate her. She'd rather Kaled had stayed around for a while anyways, just for the moment.

"Should you like to walk with me for a little while this evening instead?" Being seen with Sanna Tekiel on his arm would do a good deal to repair what had been done the other day.

"And it occurs to me that you might still need a little help with a certain sister and her dress. Tell me what she looks like and a little about her personality, and I'll tell you what to buy that will make her perfectly happy with you again. I'll even write it down for you, so that you can simply hand it to the dressmaker at your convenience." The dressmaker would also pay attention to a signed note from Sanna. She smiled. "I know clothes. You can trust me."

#10 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

Stunningly beautiful and honest. Undeniably. Kaled glanced long enough in her direction to catch the mock timidity and rolled his eyes in response. But he couldn't help being amused and maybe Sanna would catch him smiling behind his hand on several occasions tonight. It was a pure pleasure to have had this opportunity, even if he was going to be spending most of it sheepishly avoiding her gaze, bumbling words and, in general, making a fool of himself.

Sure, being seen in public with a member of a Great House practically shouted the rumours that would soon spread across Luthadel. But he didn't want to be known for that bumbling idiot more being lead by a woman than his own feet could. It was an embarrassing position she'd put him in but he couldn't say no.

Moving the topic to his sister wouldn't help with improving his nerves either. However, for a moment the indignation burning for his sister outshone his gynophobia, or maybe it was just caligynephobia? Oltin had tried to theorise the symptoms while Matthias was busy making additional comments. Great! Now his mind was back on Matthias.

Taking a deep breathe and dispelling all bothersome thoughts, he proffered an arm for Sanna to take, though not with any measure of confidence. His heart was beating faster – a woman touching him! The idea tightened his chest, he was uncomfortable but it was something he'd have to get over. Three years was too long to run around with an abnormal aversion to the opposite sex.

Steadying himself, arm still crooked in the standard fashion for a gentleman escorting a lady, he smiled while managing to look directly at Sanna.

“Shall we walk? I imagine standing here won't do you any good as it won't do me. We can talk about that infuriating pixie I have for a sister. Heck, if I don't go back with a dress my blood's the perfect color to decorate our library walls with.”

#11 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:34 PM

Kaled looked tense and anxious, she could see it right past his smile, and it really seemed like it went a little past simple awkwardness. Did she really frighten him that much? She was not a terribly threatening person; it was hard to conceive of someone being afraid of her. How was she going to put him at his ease?

Sanna reached up her hand and set it lightly on his arm; she could feel the tension in it, confirming the thought. She did not have a smoker around, so she couldn’t really soothe him, but she let a note of friendly reassurance enter her voice. “Obviously, then, we’ll have to make sure that doesn’t happen. At the very least you will return to her with the plans for a dress, and she doesn’t have to know that you had any help with the research.” Sanna grinned.

As they began to move along, she explained a little further. “It will take a couple of days, even with a rush order, for the tailor to have a dress made. But trust me, it will go over better than something you just pick off the rack somewhere. Shows that you put in thought, and effort, and so on and so forth. So – she sounds like she has quite a temper?”

#12 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:21 PM

He'd prepared himself for it but her touch still startled him. Probably because he was looking ahead rather than round at Sanna when she'd reached up to him. It was difficult to convince himself he was just being silly, his subconscious wouldn't answer to the call of his own thoughts.

Although Sanna did have a reassuring voice that relaxed him, it just didn't feel the same as when they were in the dressmaker's store. Now he had more distance to cover in his awkwardness that the tightening in his stomach only became harder to ignore.

As they began to walk, Sanna explained the nuances behind the business of dressmaking. He didn't doubt anything and as the subject shifted over to his sister it became easier to deal with. As if it seemed that directing his thoughts to less-than-favourable topics – and his sister was always at the top of that list – he was able to ease up slightly and speak with some measure of control.

“Temper, eh, hah! She's a bludgeoning in the dark compared to most.” Frowning, he thought to what Aurele normally wore; the colours, the style of cut that was often worn when she wasn't busy strutting around her obligator duties.
“She, er, wears green a lot, emerald by the shade. Errm, she's... no, I believe she likes high hemmed... Oh no, wait, there's no way I'm giving her more reason to flash her legs off around the manor. Though she's not one for much lace.” It was the closest observation he had of her. Knowing nothing of dresses Kaled just related to what Aurele often wore.

#13 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

Part of the key to getting Kaled to relax was to keep him talking, it seemed. Sanna decided to hold the conversation largely on subjects with which he was familiar. That way, he could hold forth with confidence, and of course Sanna could chatter about anything at all.

She filed the information Kaled gave her away in part of her head, to try and put together a picture. Emerald green... high-hemmed dresses that showed her legs? Sanna's eyebrows went up in surprise - an Obligator wearing something like that? Anyone wearing such a style would be shockingly immodest, but an Obligator of all people...

"I'll plan for something full-length," Sanna said a little primly, "not too frilly, it sounds?"

Lord Ruler, his sister sounded like a strange customer.

#14 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

As he contemplated Aurele in these high dresses she always wore around the home another image invaded his mind. His cheeks heated at the picture he tried to dispel. There was no way in the Lord Ruler's left boot that was going to happen.

"Damnation if she expects to show her cleavage off again." He mumbled, hoping the redness of his cheeks wasn't too revealing. Shame it wasn't winter, the rosiness would be excusable in the cold. He was fighting down the embarrassment when perhaps Sanna offered a modicum of comfort.

"Ah, yes, frills are quite ludicrous even on dresses." Then he realised what he'd said, turning to Sanna abashed. "I-I mean... ah, I didn't mean you were, in no way... well, you know." He blushed even more at the importune of his words. Having already insulted her on several occasions he wasn't getting any better at talking to her. So he just kept quiet, hanging his head and pouting.

Though he did feel a strange desire to give the woman his respect; what did he want? Acceptance? Friendship? Sanna would be a welcome respite from Matthias' bullying. Except she was the female variety. He suspected that would taunt him just as much.

#15 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:30 AM

"Frilly?" Sanna inquired lightly. "Or ludicrous? Or wearing a dress? I am usually the former, occasionally the middle, and always the latter, so don't worry." He was terribly red-faced again, and had his head hunched down like a puppy that expected to be chastised.

She patted his arm. "You shouldn't scowl so; I think you'd look nicer if you smiled."

#16 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

He could hear Sanna talking, her voice light and melodic in the fashion associated with a mollifying methodology. He felt grateful for the gesture. In the small frame of time he'd known Sanna it was on inclination he sensed the sincerity of her words.

However, Kaled's attention had been stolen away momentarily, reliving a memory that absorbed all peripheral sense into its expanse. He shut his eyes, trying to do the same for his ears as they were besieged by distant voices - one in particular persisted, echoing throughout the years as it constantly sprang back from self-inflicted suppression.

Slowly he brought himself back out of the memory, breathing hard, vaguely aware of the path before him. The flash of silver receded from his vision. A soft tug earlier in his cogitation brought the delayed realisation that he'd stopped walking, pulling Sanna to a stop also.

"I-I'm sorry. I... er, thought I saw someone I knew." He looked back at the woman, now distant, who had been wearing the silver necklace. Most likely wood painted silver in Luthadel's climate but the craft had a familiarity he'd not seen in over three years.

#17 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

Kaled stopped suddenly as Sanna realized he wasn't listening to her anymore. Instead, his eyes had closed for a moment, and his face clouded over with sadness. When he opened them again, they were unfocused at first, looking off into the distance as if he was seeing something that wasn't there, before he seemed to regain part of his composure.

She recognized the look of someone caught in a bad memory.

"Things have a way of ambushing you after you've lost someone," she said, gently. "A snatch of music, a scarf of a certain colour...something takes you by surprise and you don't have your defenses in place."

#18 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

The memory faded, only the emotions remained to remind him how much it hurt. How true Sanna had spoken, how sage her words. For what all the nights spent in pensiveness did accumulate such frail wards against bitter memories. It was harder even now to admit he still hadn't let the past go.

"Your heart believes someone can claim it forever, it has no mind to think otherwise." A faint smile touched his lips as he remembered the words Oltin had once spoken. At that moment, Oltin had perceived the attraction in Kaled and, hoping to ease the tension had spoken of romance in days of strife, oppression and death. Not much had changed; the world was still ugly, skaa still lower than vermin, and his beloved still dead.

Kaled managed to shrug off the melancholy, but yet as he spoke, sorrow commanded his voice, almost convicted by his words and still unsure at the same time. "Excuse me, a man has no right to bereft a lady of her joviality."

He gestured for Sanna to continue walking, if it pleased her.

#19 Sanna Tekiel

• The Pink Lady

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

Sanna waited for him to go on first; they were not in a hurry to be anywhere, after all. "It's alright, you know," she told him, bringing her free hand around to rest it on his arm as well with a comforting pressure. "You don't need to apologize for that." She wouldn't hold grief against anyone.

#20 Kaled Valoren

Skaa

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

With a sigh he barely kept the uneasiness from, Kaled picked up the pace again. This time slow, as though he was suddenly in appreciation for the company, even if it was slightly unnerving. He glanced once at Sanna but looked away again before smiling.

It wasn't a forced smile, it tasked his facial muscles into keeping them still - an emotional response. Then, suddenly remembering recent events like they'd come back to him from weeks long hiatus, Kaled managed to stammer out an awkward proposal.

"F-forgive me, if this sounds importune. I probably shouldn't even say it." And he almost reconsidered. "Erm, i-it appeared that you could do with, back there I mean." He gestured back towards the area he'd been her "gallant" hero. "When you were um... well it looked like you could do with self-defence lessons."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users