The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Pipes

6 replies to this topic

#1 Lanscaper

Steward in Training

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

Pipes
Skaa Smoker

Player Information
OoC Account: Lanscaper
Contact Information: PM, AIM

Character Information
Name: Pipes
Type: Skaa
Place of Origin: Luthadel
Relationship Status: Widowed

Powers
-Type: Misting
-Metal(s) Used: Copper
-Degree of Skill: Intermediate

Appearance: Pipes is unlike any skaa you are likely to meet. The right side of his face is an inflamed red mass, his right eye swelled mostly shut, making him distinct among the masses of skaa. His gruff tones are often misinterpreted as anger or unhappiness. He keeps his dark hair and beard clipped short, a counterbalance of order to the chaos of his right half. Pipes is a short man, his full height only bringing him to five feet two inches, but despite his short stature he has the bearing of authority, amplified by his strong wiry frame. He wears plumbing leathers most of the time, a thick leather jacket and overalls, and when on the job a tool belt.

Special Skills: Pipes has functional literacy (when it comes to dealing with the plumbing shop). His training as a plumber has lead to a good understanding of space, leading to an eye that can estimate distances (when he opens them), and a mind that allows him to be aware of where he is and where other things are.

Strengths: His strengths are primarily his special skills, but he also has administrative talent in assigning jobs to his crew.

Weaknesses: Pipes has a fear of fire, it's very well controlled, but that underlying fear is still there. His practicality has forced him to overcome that fear, but larger fires still unnerve him. He also cares greatly for his family, which includes his extended family (since they all carry the same genes). His appearance also marks him, he can be recognized quickly, and also makes people wary of him.

Personality: Pipes is a gruff man, but cares deeply for his family. He watches his fellow skaa, those less fortunate than he, and feels pity. But the weight of responsibility to his family overpowers his sense of pity, and so ignores the sympathetic feelings. Pipes sees noblemen in slightly negative views, he makes money off them, he relies on them, but he hates that he is reliant on their generosity and patronship. It is the Obligators and the Ministry that he directs his truly negative emotions towards. They are responsible for his family's persecution, they are the reason why he lives separate from his wife, everything that went wrong with his life all leads back to Obligators and those accursed Inquisitors.

History: Pipes was born in the slums of Luthadel in the year 882. His mother, Meltha, named him Pepin, in honor of one of his uncles. Pipes grew up with a great sense of family values. The family occupied a four story tenement, taking up all the rooms. Five uncles and their families, two aunts with their own families (the husbands had died), and then his own slew of brothers and sisters. Nearly sixty people living in one four story building. He knew that there were other family members that didn't live in the tenement, they were spread all over the city. He knew that his father (who he saw once a year) worked in the mines neighboring Luthadel, and lived in the tenements there, with two of his older brothers.

Pepin grew up to be an average skaa child, moving ash around with his cousins and dumping it into the Channerel. When he turned fourteen, and he had still not undergone his growth spurt his mother, worried that the jobs that he would get in the mills were too dangerous, arranged for Uncle Jonesi to take him as a plumber's apprentice.

To Pepin the workshop was a miraculous place. Gleaming copper pipe, burnished galvanized steel, great big pieces of timber, massive blocks of stone, and the order that things were fitted together. Everything had a place, everything fit together into one massive whole, everything made sense. Initially he was a cleaning boy, keeping the shop in order, but as the year passed he picked up more and more. His body, still just short of five feet, grew into a strong wiry build. And once he had proven that he knew the basics of plumbing he was taken out into the field. By the time he turned sixteen he was an accomplished plumber in his own right, he had graduated from his apprenticeship status, and given tasks of his own.

That was when he met Eleta. He was assigned a job working on fixing the plumbing for a mill along the Channerel. She was assigned to show him what needed fixing. As they talked he found himself at peace, her beauty, her attitude and carriage, that carefree joy, he was in love. To Eleta, Pipes advances in romance were clumsy, but his passion, the intensity of his emotions showed through his eyes. They were secretly married a few short weeks later, and his family welcomed their new daughter with open arms.

Eleta gave birth to two sons and a daughter over the next four years. Their eldest they named Jonesi, after the man who assigned Pipes the job that allowed them to meet. The second son they named in tribute to her father, Philath. Their daughter they named Malthe, in respect to Pipes mother.

A mere six months after Malthe was born, the Steel Ministry struck. The Steel Ministry set fire to a neighboring building, only for the entire block to go up in flames. Pipes, his family, his mother, Jonesi, and one other family escaped into the sewers. For Jonesi this was the second Ministry raid that he had survived, and because of his knowledge knew that escaping the fire was only the first of their worries. He pulled aside Pipes and another family member named Terrin, who had escaped and convinced them to follow him.

They went back into the building, while it was still on fire. They needed to get bodies from the neighboring buildings and put them in their old building; so that when Ministry officials checked the number of the dead their numbers would line up. By the time that they had returned from the sewers everyone was on the floor, unconscious and dying. They survived by using the sewers, transporting the bodies through the sewers to avoid the smoke, keeping their exposure at a minimum. As they finished moving the last body, the floor above collapsed. Burning timber fell onto Pipes. He Snapped. Copper flared to life in his belly for a brief moment, and he felt the power sitting in his stomach. And then he passed out from the burning pain. Jonesi and Terrin pulled him from underneath the timber and made their escape through the sewers to the workshop.

Once there Jonesi oversaw the redistribution of the survivors. He separated the families, the unconscious Pipes and his eldest son would stay with him, the others would have to be hidden in the rest of the city.

Jonesi was a Seeker. When the fire started Jonesi had started burning bronze, he knew that he risked drawing attention to himself, but he needed to know if there were Ministry Mistings headed their way. With bronze burning in his stomach he could feel the pulses of several Mistings outside, surrounding the entire block, and then as he got close to Pipes and his family he could no longer feel the Allomantic pulses, one of them was putting up a coppercloud. When the boy Jimi, the one whom was named after him, passed out in the sewer the coppercloud dropped, and a grim part of his mind knew that he'd have to separate the boy from his family.

His mind, still aware of the obligators outside dragged Pipes and his nephew Terrin to help him move bodies. Once they had finished, and he was about to stop burning bronze, Pipes was caught under burning timber from the collapsing floor above. Again a coppercloud went up, startling him as he looked at Pipes and his other nephew Terrin, trying to figure out which had made the cloud. Terrin started moving the burning timber, and Jonesi snapping back to his senses started to help move it as well. They got Pipes free, and as Pipes fell unconscious the coppercloud went down, and Jonesi stopped his own burn. As the group escaped through the sewers Jonesi thought to himself that he'd have a hell of a time explaining to Eleta why he had to take away both her eldest son, and her husband.

When Pipes awoke Jonesi told him the cover story for his burns. That he was caught in a blast of steam from a malfunctioning boiler, burning the side of his face, and then proceeded to explain his situation. Pipes was in a numb state of shock, he had a three year old son that he was now expected to care for without the help of his beloved wife. He was angry that he couldn't meet with his wife for her safety and the safety of his other children. He had all these frustrations that he needed to vent. He almost didn't hear what his uncle was saying to him. "You are not alone. Ever wonder why I lived alone in that house? I went through the same thing as you. Your father went through the same thing too, same with your Uncle Ketan. This has happened all before, and it will happen again. But we have a plan, and if it works, if it works mind you. We'll never have to worry about being caught again. But till then, until then you and your wife need to stay separated. I'll explain more later, but know that they'll be well cared for."

Over the next fourteen years Pipes found out more and more of the plan. His son was raised as a crucial piece in the scheme. Over the next fourteen years he plotted with Jonesi, he worked with his other family members, everything working to get things in place. Part of it was getting House Meson, the owners of the workshop, to build apartments above the workshop. Part of it was siphoning metals from the shop to safe houses all over the city. All the while he had to play his part, hiding his distaste for the obligators who visited the shop nearly every day.

Roleplay Sample:
This is set on 2.1 [PD/EM]

Pipes look out his window, it was still dark, but the hint of red light could be seen breaking through the mists. Roll Call will be soon. He thought to himself. Minutes earlier he had heard Uncle Jonesi and his son Jimi move from their room to meet with young Lord Marcus in his chambers to discuss the day's assignments. As he opened his door he saw his cousin Yoosuk move past headed to wake his crew of carpenters.

Pipes moved down the narrow spiral staircase from the lofted apartments to the workshop floor. He moved, slowly working the stiffness from his body, putting on his thick leathers, grabbing his tool belt and a bag of plumbing supplies. He moved to his cart, one laden full of pipe, waiting for the rest of his crew to get their gear on. Another day of work.

He caught a glimpse of movement at one of the manholes in the shop floor. Someone is already down there? The manhole moved free and he saw his daughter. What is she doing there? She should be with her mother and mom. He moved closer and saw the tears streaming down her face. Paternal concern flashed to the forefront of his mind. "Mel, little one, what's wrong?"

"They took Mom and Grandma." She gasped out once she was close enough, "The Inquisition, they took them!"

No, it couldn't be. He thought with horror We've been so careful! I just need her to calm down, explain what happened "Sweetie, calm down. I need you to tell me what happened exactly."

Mel struggled to get her breathing under control, and after a few moments began. "The Inquisition was out in the streets taking skaa for executions today in retaliation for the fire at Keep Casuana. They passed by, and then they took Mom and Grandma!"

Grief struck Pipes like a wave as the facts started to settle in his head. Part of him was relieved that they hadn't targeted his family specifically, but grief turned to anger as another item was added to the list of wrongs that the Steel Ministry and the Lord Ruler had perpetrated upon his family. He took a look at his daughter, his daughter who he had only seen once a year along with his beloved wife and his other son. His other son. "What about Phil?" he blurted out, "Did they take him too?"

Mel shook her head, "He moved out and got married a two weeks back." She sniffled looking at his expression, "I thought you knew."

To be continued in Jimi's app

Edited by Pipes, 14 March 2012 - 11:45 AM.

Player Characters:

Noblemen: Winston Elariel

Skaa: Jonesi | Pipes

Work in Progress: Martin Meson - De Facto House Lord, Marcus Meson - House Heir, Jimmi - Foreman in Training, NeeSun - Kandra of a Thousand Minds, Zulo - Keeper of Forgotten Foods

#2 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

House Raisaal

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

Hey Lanscaper, nice job. I think the site messed up with some of your formatting (the old changing ' and " to wierd symbols thing. I find copying and pasting to word, then finding and replacing usually works.

The section where Pipes and his son snap is a little confusing. You say Pipes snaps when the burning timber falls on him, but he doesn't seem to start burning copper until he's caught under the falling stud (I could be reading this wrong, but my point is it's confusing, haha).

Also, you mention someone named Terrin in the history. Now, as I was reading this I assumed he was the eldest son, but later you say the eldest was named after the uncle, so I'm a little unsure what is going on there. I assume it's just an editing thing.

Now, you might be planning to mention this in Terrin/Jimi's app, but it doesn't seem like you mention him snapping (again I could be missing it, or maybe it doesn't happen at the same time as Pipes's does).

Other than those few concerns with the couple of paragraphs in the middle, I think I'm good :)

Posted Image

#3 Lanscaper

Steward in Training

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

Hmm I don't have any errors for the apostrophes on my end...I'll try looking on another computer later, and if push comes to shove I'll go in manually and re-enter them.

As for the confusion around the snapping event I'll sort that out. The timeline is that the Pipes son Jimi burns copper first, I should add that his coppercloud runs out because he doesn't have much copper in his diet (he's only 3 at this point). Then Pipes and Terrin (random cousin who also lived in the tenement) help Jonesi cover their escape. When Pipes has the burning timber fall on him it's more like it clobbers him from behind, and when he's stuck under the timber and he feels the fire he snaps.

Perhaps I'll just take out Terrin's name and just have an unnamed cousin.

Player Characters:

Work in Progress: Martin Meson - De Facto House Lord, Marcus Meson - House Heir, Jimmi - Foreman in Training, NeeSun - Kandra of a Thousand Minds, Zulo - Keeper of Forgotten Foods

#4 Lanscaper

Steward in Training

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:50 AM

Okay I edited the apostrophes I think, as well as the quotation marks.

I mucked around with the grammar and the syntax of the sentences concerning Pipes snapping, to make it clear I approach the event from two view points. First as Pipes, and second as Jonesi.

Player Characters:

#5 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

House Raisaal

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

Still unclear to me whether or not Pipes snapped under the burning timber or the falling stud. The rest looks good.

Posted Image

#6 Lanscaper

Steward in Training

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Studs are made of wood back then, so they are they same thing, or at least in the tenements they would be. But I can see the cause of confusion.

Edit: Noticed that there were the random apostrophe errors, so I went in and fixed them, don't know if that in turn caused errors to appear for someone else. Also changed all mentions of studs to burning timber.

Edited by Lanscaper, 14 March 2012 - 11:48 AM.

Player Characters:

#7 Chaos

High House Noble

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:56 AM

Sweet! Pipes is good and very believable.

Accepted! (finally)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users