The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Noted

W2 D3 EM Winston Elariel Marisha Nathar

52 replies to this topic

#1 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginTremredare

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

Winston awoke before dawn as was his practice. It took him a couple moments to realize that the bed he was on wasn't rocking slightly with the rivers current. He was on solid ground, sleeping on a feather mattress, and in a room of his own. He lay in bed for a moment, listening to pocket-watch for a couple minutes before grabbing a vial of tin and downing its contents. He flared bringing his body to alertness and began moving through is morning routine.

He opened his door and found the new writing set he had requested in a leather case outside his door. On it was a note with some instructions "Meet at Ahlstrom Square" and a small sketch of a bird in flight.

Posted Image

Winston got out of the carriage a few blocks away from the designated meeting point. As he walked through the fairly deserted square he puzzled over who had left the note and still could not come to a conclusion. His evening had been so eventful that he hadn't even had the time to transcribe his notes. With that thought he found a bench and pulled out a half finished notebook, setting it on his lap. From within his jacket pockets he pulled out his pen and and attached a fresh nib, using a black cloth to clean the excess ink. When everything was finally in place he set to writing.

Might as well get some work in while I wait.

Edited by Lanscaper, 20 February 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#2 Marisha Nathar

• Nathar heir's sister

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age19

• OriginFarmost Dominance

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

After the disaster at the ball, it would have been easy for Marisha and Nerid to simply hide in their rented household. To keep out of the public eye and hope that people would forget what had happened, use the disaster as an excuse to stop trying. But Marisha was not going to sit down and wait passively for the future to come. They had come this far; they could not give up.

There was not much of a chance, but there was still a chance that they could make an alliance somewhere, with someone, who could protect them from their father. Hiding away, they would have no chance to find the right person. She had hoped that perhaps Claudia would be the key, but after what had happened with the Elariels, she would have been happier if she never saw another member of their house again.

She knew that if Daerra Elariel had been there in front of her, she would have backed down and retreated. Marisha would not be able to face her again.

Although the morning was not that cold, not compared to what she was used to, she shivered.

She had heard the news, of course. Phyra Venture had been more dangerous an enemy than she had even realized. The woman was a mistborn, and she had gone on a rampage after the ball, murdering Mikhail Elariel. What would have been next, if someone else's mistborn had not killed her first? Marisha remembered the look in Phyra's eyes at the ball, after she had rioted Marisha. It had held a promise as cold as ice.

Had the Elariels really intended for her to die? What had she done to earn their hatred? She might have thought that they were only making use of her as a convenience, but she could never forget Daerra's eyes or the sound of her voice.

Was it all planned between the twins from the beginning, even back in Ahlstrom? Marisha had met Aaron here, in this very spot. She had been reading on that bench there; she stared at it blankly for a moment, remembering. The memory was humiliating and all too clear. A handsome face, a wink or two and a compliment had led to her to imagine... Her face began to feel hot against the crisp morning air.

There was a man seated on the bench, scribbling down something in a notebook. As Marisha realized that she had been staring a little too long, she turned away to go on.

#3 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

Winston felt the girl staring at him as he wrote. He was busy jotting down the encoded numbers, confident that no one would be able to break his cipher. But the young lady seemed to be staring awfully intently. He could burn tin to take a better look, but he was under orders to keep his talents hidden, and there was no smoker around. Just as he looked up his eyes recognized the look of epiphany on her face, and she was turning to walk away. She couldn't have, no one has been able to figure out my code! I need to distract her from what she saw.

Winston called out, pitching his voice higher than his usual range, making him slightly less intimidating, "They are just notes to keep track of larger sums."

#4 Marisha Nathar

• Nathar heir's sister

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age19

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

The man's address halted Marisha, and she turned back. He had noticed her staring. Embarrassed, she was not sure what to say at first, how to explain herself. It must have appeared extremely rude, and she had made him uncomfortable. For the most part he looked impassive, but there was a little hint around his eyes of nervous tension.

She cleared her throat before she answered. "I beg your pardon. I did not intend to intrude; my mind was wandering."

Her eyes flicked down to the notebook in his hands, though, compelled by curiosity now. Notes to keep track of larger sums? He was most likely an accountant, but...

#5 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

"...my mind was wandering."

Winston's eyes narrowed slightly. Is she trying to hide her knowledge? If only I could burn tin to tell what is going on. His eyes caught her eyes looking at the notebook again. But why would she look at it again if she already knew... He had done it again, just like one time in Tremredare, he had assumed the worst and now he had someone interested in his notes. This is what happens when I can't use tin, I'm socially vulnerable because I can't read people.

But for now he needed to convince her that the numbers in front of him really were notes for sums. He quickly scanned through the page in front of him. These were notes on two Elariel noblemen who had appeared to be having affairs. He stopped himself again and looked at the numbers thinking of their numerical significance rather than their hidden meaning. He began talking again, "See I'm trying to get to this number, 17627388."

#6 Marisha Nathar

• Nathar heir's sister

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age19

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

"See I'm trying to get to this number..." The young man pointed to the page, and Marisha came around to stand next to the bench , leaning to look at what he was calling her attention to. There were three columns and fifteen rows of numbers, each of eight digits. It did not look like an accountant's book of sums. Her mind began to search for patterns in the collection of numbers.

"17627388? Why that particular number?" she inquired. It was the number on the top left-hand corner. Was it some sort of mathematical game? "What are the rules?"

#7 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

Oh crap he thought to himself, She actually knows math He kept his face impassive, his mind working to make a pattern between the numbers. In the meanwhile he needed to stall for time.

Then his mind caught part of what she said Mathematical Game, I wonder.

"Just an exercise that I do to keep my mind in top shape, I wonder if you can figure out the pattern, I'll give you a minute to see if you can find the pattern."

#8 Marisha Nathar

• Nathar heir's sister

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age19

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

He had challenged her. She could not pass up the opportunity; her eyes brightened with increased curiosity and interest. One minute to solve the puzzle? That was a tall order, but she was going to try. "May I see that for a moment?" she asked, holding out her hand to take the notebook from him.

It was incomprehensible at first; the numbers appeared to be completely random. But there was an algorithm that would provide a solution, and one based on simple arithmetic, from what he had said originally. After a moment she moved to sit down on the bench next to him. The rest of the world outside of the page had ceased to exist; her hand traced over the numbers as she tried to find the logic behind them.

She ignored the passage of time; he would tell her when it was up, if she did not manage to find the key in time.

"Here," she said at last, looking up suddenly. "I think I have it. May I have your pen a moment to make notations?"

#9 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

Winston watched as the young women's eyes brightened when he made the challenge. She held her hand out and asked "May I see that for a moment?" He watched her expression again looking for anything resembling ulterior motives, when he saw none he gave her the notebook.

While she stared at it, passion and excitement pouring off of her, Winston watched her face. She was pretty, not beautiful or enrapturing like so many other noblewomen he had met or had tried to be. But those eyes, bright and youthful intelligence seemed to pour out of them. Remembering that he said that he'd give her a minute he pulled out of pocket watch, and began to time her. Several moments passed while she stared at the numbers before her. She had passed the minute mark and was approaching two minutes, but her excitement and interest was far too interesting for Winston to interrupt, he followed her eyes looking to see which numbers she was trying to link, to see if he could better understand how she thought.

She looked up suddenly "Here. I think I have it. May I have your pen a moment to make notations?" Winston paused when she asked for his pen, he had just gotten this one, and he was loathe to have it potentially ruined. Not that she would ruin it consciously, but having it out of his control simply increased the likelihood of the nib sustaining damage. But it would be odd if he didn't acquiesce to such a simple request. So he pulled the pen from its place and handed it to her.

"So lets see if you figured it out."

Edited by Lanscaper, 20 February 2014 - 08:57 PM.

#10 Marisha Nathar

• Nathar heir's sister

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age19

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

Taking the pen from his fingers, Marisha turned and placed the notebook so that he could see what she was doing. It was difficult to explain her thought process verbally, after all. She drew a sequence of lines, linking each of the numbers into the schematic, with the operations she had used to manipulate each number noted down in a small, neat hand. The key worked, as she had hoped it would; she had not been completely certain before this test, though. It was difficult to keep everything in her mind, and she had needed to be able to write it down in order to completely process it.

It was a fascinating and very unusual puzzle. It had not followed any of the obvious possibilities, and the pattern had been extremely difficult to discern.

But she had found it. As she drew the final line, she smiled.

#11 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

Winston watched as she made connections. What she was showing him was very different from the approach that he used to rationalize how the numbers were connected, but at first glance it seemed her method worked as well. He continued to stare, meticulously calculating and going through each connection, and then he caught something.

"Here." He pointed to a number where a connecting line covered part of the number. "You dropped the negative, that makes these two not cancel out, and then you carried these two frame shifting them."

#12 Marisha Nathar

• Nathar heir's sister

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age19

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

She had made some errors, terribly basic ones. The smile disappeared from her face to be replaced by her previous completely-focused concentration. She had rushed herself too much, not taken enough time over the problem, and been too eager to make the pieces fit. Haste was the enemy of perfection.

"You're correct. That was very negligent of me." she agreed. Would it still work, however, or would she need to approach the puzzle from the very start again? She unravelled her logic back to the place where the man had broken it down, and began to reassess it.

"I believe this may still work, though," she added after finishing her corrections. "If not, then I concede the challenge...I would need more than a minute to work this out."

#13 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

Seems that she didn't notice the passage of time. Winston thought to himself, She was too absorbed in the math, it's been a long time since someone has shown this much passion at math

"It does work I'll concede. You need to notice the passage of time a bit more accurately though perhaps."

#14 Marisha Nathar

• Nathar heir's sister

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age19

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

"I need to notice...what?" Marisha blinked in some confusion before she realized what he was saying. "I was relying upon you to tell me when my time was ended." She shook her head, a little frustrated. "You ought to have said something. How long did I take with it?"

#15 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

"One minute and fifty-eight seconds. Not too bad at all considering."

#16 Marisha Nathar

• Nathar heir's sister

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age19

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:40 PM

One minute and fifty-eight seconds? Why had he not stopped her at the one-minute mark? She had failed to meet the terms of the challenge.

"Considering...?" she inquired.

#17 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:10 AM

"No time for mental preparation, no frame of reference other than the end sum, and the early hour." Winston replied evenly.

#18 Marisha Nathar

• Nathar heir's sister

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age19

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:25 AM

"I am a morning person," she answered with a slight smile. "But why didn't you stop me? You had said I had one minute to solve it."

#19 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

"Your eyes, I haven't seen someone so absorbed into math in a long time, it was interesting being able to see you excited about something."

#20 Marisha Nathar

• Nathar heir's sister

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age19

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

"...Oh." Startled, Marisha just looked at him for a moment, unsure if that was intended as an odd compliment or if he was simply...stating an observation. She had not taken a very close look at the man himself before now; she had been much more focused on his notebook. He had very sharp, dark eyes, with a rather unnerving intensity, as if he was looking straight through her and calculating her parameters in detail.

"...thank you?" she said, uncertainly, her eyes sliding down to the notebook instead. It was a little difficult to meet a gaze like that. "I have...not met many people who cared for mathematics for its own sake. You must be an enthusiast?"

Edited by KChan, 29 January 2016 - 04:32 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users