The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

In Plain Sight

W2 D3 MM Winston Elariel Emilia Hasting

44 replies to this topic

#1 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginTremredare

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:10 AM

Winston continued to write into his notebook he was perhaps a third of the way caught up with events. The pressure in his head slowly releasing as more and more information was relayed onto paper. His hand moved deftly, continuing to jot down the numbers into neat columns and rows, a cipher of his own creation which had just somehow turned into a game of sorts.

His mood soured. He had missed the opportunity to bring that obviously smart girl into the fold. All he could do was hope that she would take him up on the offer to meet in the future. He still wasn't entirely sure what his mistake was and replayed the events in his mind of the scenario that had occurred just under an hour ago. And for the sixth time he couldn't tell exactly where he had lost control. It was sometime during the last problem he has posed, the test to see her political and economic awareness, but what exactly about that problem he wasn't entirely sure.

He was losing control of himself, he could feel his body showing body language he did not want displayed before the world. So he fell into his ritual. He closed his eyes and listened to the rhythm of his pocket watch. His mind became clearer and the pressure of holding three days worth of information seemed a trivial thing. Sixteen beats of the watch later he found himself back in control, refreshed, and continued to write out the information in his mind.

Edited by Lanscaper, 20 February 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#2 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:31 AM

Emilia wandered into Ahlstrom square, trying to clear her head. The intrigue crammed into the last few days seemed to fill her head. She hadn't received any more notes since the one that led her to the library, and she was still piecing together why whoever had sent it wanted her to find a theory book on the application of allomantic bronze. Since the Casuana ball and Kaylen's disappearance, Keep Hasting seemed to be haunted, filled with the ghostly voices of her mother and cousin. Part of her longed for someone to talk to. She had never been able to trust Anabelle, not since she was a child anyways, but her golden-haired cousin had still acted as a confidante of sorts to Emilia. She'd thought the last year without her had been lonely enough, but now that she might be back, Emilia found herself feeling more alone than ever.

A trip to the Silver Quarter's pristine heart should do the trick. The beautiful square was one of Emilia's favorite places in Luthadel. Turning to the other side of the lavish square, she caught sight of a gentleman apparently resting on a bench. She burned and flared tin for the briefest of moments, taking as much in as she could before extinguishing it. There could be Seekers around, and although Emilia couldn't think of a reason why anyone would be interested in her, she still didn't want to get caught. The man's eyes were closed, but he had a notebook open on his lap. Likely he'd fallen asleep while working on something. His clothing was fine, but not ostentatious. He was noble, but of a lesser station than she was. The upkeep and quality of his clothing indicated he was well taken care of. Likely either a prominent member of a rising house dressed in his best, or a lesser member of a more powerful house.

He'll be awfully disappointed if someone steals his notebook or takes a peak into his business while he sleeps... While the Silver Quarater was safer from skaa theives and cutpurses than other areas of the city, just because there were fewer skaa did not mean anyone was safe. From Emilia's experience, a noble could be ten times as dangerous as any skaa in the long run. Wanting to distract herself from her predicament, Emilia moved to approach the man so that she might wake him.

As she grew close, however, she realized the man's eyes had opened since she stopped burning tin, and he had began writing again. He must have just been thinking then. Her mother would have scolded her for being so foolish. She owed the man nothing. The only interest she should have been paying to him was in the secrets he might have, possibly held in the notebook he was writing in.

Trying her best not to seem like she was doing so, Emilia altered her course slightly so she would be walking past him. For all she knew he could be from a rival house, and she didn't want to make any unintended statements.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:52 AM

Winston noticed the young lady approaching him. Her body language which had seconds earlier been intent on approaching him shifted. Interesting.

Winston felt the urge to burn tin to better read into the intentions of the young lady approaching him, but refrained. His lessons in childhood, that even a quick flare of Allomancy was enough for a skilled Seeker to catch on, and as he had no clue about anyone else in the square.

She was getting closer. His failure from earlier stung, and he would not let another potential source of information pass him by. Through all this he kept writing the numbers, his hand deftly moving across the page. As she approached he fixed his gaze on her, employing a trick he had learned to the annoyance of his mentors back in Tremredare, he also gazed beyond her. The young lady became out of focus, but somehow he knew instinctively that she was paying more attention to his notebook than to himself. Another person interested in my notes, perhaps this is a more useful tool than I'd thought before.

#4 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

As Emilia grew closer, she caught sight of the man's eyes. Rather than looking down at his notes, he was looking up in her direction. He's seen me, she realized, And knows I've been watching him. She mentally cursed herself for approaching him in the first place, and then began arranging a lie as to why she had been approaching him in the first place. She couldn't let herself seem foolish after all.

However, as she studied his eyes, she realized there was something wrong. Another quick burst of tin cleared things up. There was no moment of recognition as their eyes met. His eyes seemed to be gazing through her, as if she didn't exist. On her way over, Emilia hadn't noticed anything of interest behind her, and she fought back to urge to spin to see what he was looking at.

Wait a minute, she realized, Even if he had been looking at something else, his gaze should have been attracted to me as I approached. Just because the man wasn't looking at her didn't mean he wasn't watching her. Again, Emilia felt the echoes of her past play through her head. This time it was Anabelle's voice who said, "Don't worry so much about creating elaborate stories. The best lie is the one someone else creates for you." It would seem she hadn't left her ghosts behind after all.

Letting her face grow slightly puzzled, Emilia spun, following the man's gaze. Just as she'd thought, there was nothing of interest, just a few wandering noblemen passing through. Turning back to face him, Emilia found herself within speaking distance and called out, "Excuse me sir, might I ask what you are studying so intently?" She allowed her glance to flick down the notebook. "Are you an artist perhaps?"

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

Artist, well that's an interesting way to feign interest.

Now that she was close enough Winston brought his attention to focus on her. She was pretty, her hair well maintained, falling loosely to either side of her face. Her clothing was of good quality, and from the stitching and fit was obviously tailored for her. But as he observed her he felt something nagging him, something that he knew he would be able to pick up with tin, but again he was under orders to remain hidden.

He spent a further moment studying her, feigning the signs of recognition and watched her expression as closely as he could without the enhancement of tin. His first impression was that she was good at keeping her emotions in check, yet that nagging feeling that he'd be able to discern more about her with tin surfaced again.

Winston squashed that nagging sensation bringing his focus to the budding conversation. Winston carefully pitched his voice adding in an undertone of surprise, "An artist? Me? No, I'm just thinking." Let her lay the foundation for the conversation, Winston thought to himself. I'll take over the conversation later.

#6 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:00 AM

How odd... Emilia supposed the man's lie was plausible enough. A man lost in thought might stare off into the distance without seeing anything. However, she was certain that he'd seen her, and then looked past her afterwards. Had he merely stared at her, she would have assumed he was merely curious about why she was approaching his area. However, because he had seen her and then pretended not to, that meant he was hiding something.

But what? What she piqued his interest by walking to the square, or had he been watching her longer than she had been aware of. A lone man sitting with a notebook 'thinking' could, hypothetically sit and watch the comings and goings of people from the square undetected for hours. However, the same man could just as easily take a short cut to arrive before his target and make it seem he had been enjoying the square for some time, only to just happen to have to leave in the same general direction as his target did around the same time. Perhaps he would read through his notes as he went, obviously paying attention to nothing at all.

There, that was what was bothering her. Even in the Silver Quarter, no one who was at all familiar with Luthadel spent time out of doors day dreaming, not if they wanted to make it through their day with their lives and pockets intact. "People think weakness will hide their lies because it is an undesirable trait, one that no one would create or expose voluntarily" her mother lectured, "Don't let weakness fool you. People who know what they are doing like to be underestimated. Err on the side of caution, and you won't be surprised.

Now, Emilia had to decide how to proceed. The best thing will be to leave, and see what he does next. "I'm sorry to have intruded on your thoughts then," she said politely. She made no attempt to fill her voice with false cheer. Unless one was an expert at portraying false emotions, they were obvious indicators that someone was hiding something. The smallest lies were always the hardest to detect. "I hope I haven't set you too far behind on your work. If you'll excuse me, I'll be on my way." The ball is in his court now...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:52 AM

Smart Girl Unfortunately that didn't help his current predicament. He had finally seen enough of the girl's body language and posturing that he could see some real potential if he could turn her into one of his agents. What he saw in her even he himself wasn't entirely sure, at least not without burning tin. He could try to meet with her another time, but that would be suspicious and he would still have the issue of incorporating a Smoker into the mix. No he had to keep the conversation alive. But what to say to her to keep her hooked...

In a situation like this his nagging feelings always seemed to steer him in the right direction. As he thought about trying to follow that inclination he found the words coming to his mouth before he could even process what he was saying. "Perhaps they aren't watching after all."

Edited by Lanscaper, 20 February 2014 - 08:52 PM.

#8 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

Emilia couldn't help but smile when she heard the man's voice. She had been right, he did have some interest in her. The question now was what sort of interest and why. Nonetheless, Emilia couldn't help but feel proud of her self.

As the meaning of his words sunk in, the smile faded from her face. Someone else watching? Could this man know about whoever was following her, and sending the mysterious notes? It couldn't be she told herself. Whoever it was was too careful. Far too careful to be caught by some random stranger. He's lying she told herself, Trying to cover his real intent.While the theory had merit, somehow she couldn't quite shake her initial impression that this meeting might have something to do with Anabelle or Darlene. There would be no harm in playing along a little longer. Besides, she needed more information.

When she turned around, she kept her face neutral, betraying neither her earlier satisfaction or her more recent dismay. First things first, she had to figure out who she was dealing with.

"Pardon me?"

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

Winston watched the young lady pause as she heard his voice. He couldn't see her face nor could he get a good look at most of her body language due to the nature of her dress. However as that pause turned into seconds, and those shoulders tensed he realized that he'd hit some sort of sore spot. But how in the Lord Ruler's name am I going to explain what I said?

When she turned around however, her face neutral, but out of sync with the stiffness in her shoulders, Winston knew she had bitten the hook. I need to stall for time, to think of something! He met her eyes, held out a hand indicating the space on the bench next to him. "Please" he paused to move some of his things out of the way before continuing, "have a seat."

#10 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Emilia approached the bench but made no move to take a seat. Her first order of business was to find out who this man was, what he knew, and what was his motive in speaking with her. Then she would see if she could make use of him in any way to solve her own problem. For now, she had to play things cool, and give away nothing.

"It is improper for a young woman to speak too long with a strange man," she said, falling back on her courtesies. "Might I ask your name, sir?"

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

"Names are a tricky subject in our line of work." Winston replied without thinking, realizing after the fact that he'd used 'our' rather than something else. Somehow after a moments thought he realized that it fit, although he had no proof. He was playing his hand dangerously open, but that nagging feeling kept him on this course of the conversation. Through all this he held eye contact with the girl, her reactions muted but still there. If only I could burn tin, then I'd be able to more effectively steer this conversation. For now he'd have to follow those nagging feelings. "Perhaps we might suffice to say that both of us have information that the other needs."

#12 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

Emilia's eyes narrowed. Either the man was socially inept or he knew far too much about her, and her instincts told her to suspect the latter. But how? I've always been so careful. Either way, his reluctance to give his name meant he was definitely up to something he didn't want to be traced back to his family or house. She supposed it didn't matter now how she had given herself away. All she could do was deal with the situation at hand.

"I don't know what you are trying to insinuate about my line of work, sir, but it seems strange that you presume to know so much about me when I've never seen you before in my life." She had meant to play it safe, but her words ended up having a touch more bite than she had meant them to.

Emilia's eyes flicked up and down, the way she had often seen her mother do when sizing up an opponent. She also used the opportunity to observe him, trying her best to take in anything she could use to her advantage. "As for information, I'm not sure how much I could be of help to you, or what gave you that impression."

She paused then, considering whether or not to give her own name. If the man knew who she was, he likely knew it already. Furthermore, if he didn't, giving her name should indicate she had nothing to hide. However, there was also the possibility he had merely observed something about her that day, and that giving her name would only help him put whatever information he had gleaned into context.

In the end, she decided to remain silent, waiting for him to speak. He hadn't given her the pleasure of his name, so she had no obligation to tell him who she was.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Winston watched the young lady in front of him. He had hoped that he could get her to say her name as a challenge to get him to divulge his own, but alas it seemed that it failed if the silence could be any indication.

Her hostility however was coming across in full force, and while the girl obviously could control her face to a respectable degree, her body language was consistently betraying her.

Winston almost felt like sighing. He'd alienated the girl, which while somewhat necessary to bring her out of her comfort zone posed problems of its own. "It seems as if you misinterpretted my intention in not divulging a name. I'm under orders by my superiors to be discrete about certain things, however I'm not particularly fond of lying." Winston went about finishing packing his things, but once he'd finished doing so he remained in his seat and gestured the young lady to take a seat if not on the same bench as him, then on a neighboring one perhaps six feet away.

#14 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

Yes, I'm sure he'd love for me to think he dislikes lying and that every word he speaks is true to some degree. Apparently he thought he could fool her with this naive and honest but socially awkward act. Emilia made no move to take the offered seat. He, or perhaps this mysterious employer wanted something from her, that much was clear. But what to do next?

"Play along," her mother had told her once. "Use the lies of others to cover your own."

"An observer might wonder what secret would be so important to you and your employer to warrant such secrecy," a rare smile tease at the edges of Emilia's lips. "I daresay, your insistence on keeping your identity a secret may give you problems at balls. After all, their whole purpose is to forge connections, and overt rudeness is far less likely to be excused."

Giving the seat beside the man an appraising glance, Emilia sighed and sat down. She didn't know what she was getting into, but standing there like a dazed skaa certainly wouldn't get her anywhere.

"I am Lady Emilia Hasting, daughter of Lord Emeric Hasting. I'd say I'm pleased to make your acquaintance, but apparently that's not allowed."

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

Winston felt a weird emotion, one of the ones that he wasn't familiar with. There was some level of satisfaction but something else tainted that, and he wasn't entirely sure what that was.

But despite that she had taken a seat, she had divulged her name, or at least a name that he could check later. That she was allegedly from House Hasting at least gave him some frame of reference at the very least.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Miss Hasting." Winston replied nodding his head in a form of respect. Winston continued, "I did not mean to give offense, and undoubtedly you'll learn my name at some point, but until then I'll let you determine your own name for me. As for becoming acquaintances, I would say that I'm more than willing to make an exception for a young lady such as yourself."

#16 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:09 AM

Emilia smirked, then gave and obviously feigned sigh. "I'm afraid I'm not feeling very creative today. If you want a name, you'll have to give yourself one. I don't see why I should be obligated to." Folding her hands demurely in her lap, Emilia looked out at the square. The sun was already shining red and bright, bathing the square with its light. It really was a beautiful day.

You aren't here to enjoy yourself, she reminded herself. You are here for information.

"Since you don't seem very interested in pleasantries, perhaps we'll skip them for today." Emilia looked up from her hands, seeking to meet the man's eyes. "I don't know what you think you know about me, or what you want from me. It's obviously something more than friendship, and something you want to keep quiet, seeing as how reluctant you are to introduce yourself. So why don't you just spit it out already and we can both be on our way."

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

Interesting, she's bringing the conversation back onto topic. In the time that Winston had bought for himself with some small talk he had analyzed the information at hand. Emilia was interested in something specific and it appeared that she was looking for it, and that it had to do with someone following her. She also had training and Winston was now sure that she was some sort of agent, and with her aptitude for social events it indicated what kind of information she had.

Winston had noticed how her posture deflated as she returned to business. He'd rather the young lady maintain her bright cheer, it would keep her distracted from the issues at hand. But the way that she was forcing him back to business did not facilitate the matter, he needed a tangent, he needed more time.

"You are correct in one thing, I do want something more than friendship." Winston replied, meeting her eyes. "You and I could benefit from each other more than I think you realize. Perhaps starting with giving you a lesson about how to be less, transparent." Winston slowly moved his gaze to her neckline making her more conscious of herself. After a moment he moved his gaze back to meeting her eyes, which showed an imperfect level of control. "Case in point."

Edited by Lanscaper, 20 February 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#18 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

More than friends? What was he... Emilia felt her cheeks color slightly as she noticed his downward glance. She prepared to protest his atrocious behavior, but before she could he raised his eyes, catching hers with an intense gaze of his own. Was that it? Some sort of test or game, meant to provoke me?

Suddenly, Emilia began to see their meeting in another light. He was a young man, around her age, and she was a young noblewoman alone Had she, in her paranoid state, created a conspiracy that wasn't there only to miss are more obvious, and yet more sinister angle?

"You presume too much sir. If you think you can insult me this way; a complete stranger, then you are sadly mistaken. You should leave, now, or I will be forced to tell Lord Hasting of this insult. We'll have to see how well your anonymity protects you then."

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

Winston sighed. She didn't get what I was trying to do, to show her how her emotions weren't masked. Nor did she appear to pick up on the hidden message in my words, one which bespoke of information exchange... Although I do suppose she has every right to be offended, seeing as she interpreted the superficial sexual meaning. He began to rise to leave, and then something made him pause. The way she said Lord...it certainly had enough force to it, but something...I wonder. Winston decided to stab into the darkness.

"If that is how you feel Milady. Although I think that Lady Hasting would think differently given what you have to learn of spycraft."

Edited by Lanscaper, 20 February 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#20 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:51 AM

When the man sighed, it was with obvious disappointment, but not the kind Emilia had been expecting. Most men in his situation would have grown defensive, trying to deny their culpability. Even the most ill reputed would, at least, have tried to make another pass at her. The disappointed in his sigh, however, was not the sort made by a rejected lover. It was the kind of sigh Emilia's mother had made when Emilia made progress only to disappoint her later, or like old Lord Sheldon let loose after making a difficult decision.

Perhaps it was some sort of test. Emilia's training told her not to trust what the man said, but her instincts told her that a girl who had spent her whole life growing up around liars should know the truth when she saw it. "Foolish child, there is no such thing as truth," her mother would have said. For once in her life, Emilia thought her mother might be wrong.

That didn't mean she was going to trust the man. As things were, Emilia didn't think she could trust anyone. But the insight made her see her new companion in a different light. Here was a man whose first thought upon meeting a young noblewoman around his age was to teach her in the ways of spy craft. His paranoia about his name likely meant he was an agent of some sort. Perhaps he had been trained from childhood to gather intelligence for his house, just as Emilia had. Emilia's mother, however, had understood the importance of making sure Emilia was also well adjusted socially. Perhaps whoever had trained this man had not shown such foresight.

The whole idea seemed ludicrous, but at the same time, it felt right. Compared to all her other theories, this was the only one where everything she had managed to learn about the man in the time he was talking to her seemed to click into place. Even the way he started to stand up and leave, without saying anything in his defense, then sitting and making one last thinly veiled insinuation, fit so much better. I was looking too deep, realized Emilia. She'd thought his apparent enthusiasm for meeting a new potential contact and his paranoia surrounding his name and lying had been a guise to hide his lechery. She should have considered it might be the other way around.

"Somehow I doubt that," she found herself saying. Having almost made such a colossal mistake, for some reason she couldn't bear the thought of him leaving until things had been set straight. "Lord Sheldon Hasting's wife has not been involved in Hasting affairs for years." Emilia's heart skipped a beat as she put her thoughts together, planning her next move. Was this how her mother felt all the time?

"For someone who pretends to by such a master at 'spycraft', your information seems to be painfully outdated. Unless of course, you were referring to Lord Sheldon's daughter, Lady Colette, who will only claim the title of Lady Hasting if she is named heir and inherits her father's title." Emilia gave the man a square look and arched an eyebrow. "You might think yourself an expert at spycraft, milord, but if your recent behavior is any indication, it seems your social skills may be in dire need of reform."

Now to bait the hook. "For starters, you should know it is possible to fool someone too well. Had they been here, I'm sure Lord Sheldon, Lady Colette, and Lord Caden would have been scandalized by your behavior, and wouldn't have given you a chance to explain why you did it just to demonstrate a point about my inadequacy as an informant."

Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users