The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

In Plain Sight

W2 D3 MM Winston Elariel Emilia Hasting

44 replies to this topic

#41 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginTremredare

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

Winston looked to his pocket watch and mentally went through his schedule. He still had some time before he would be needed at Aaron's side by his estimation, perhaps he could make it. Still it would be better to stay on the side of caution.

The next meeting location being the Canton of Doctrine's library however stirred two issues within Winston. First was the issue that he did not know where the library was or the layout at all; he was new to Luthadel and thus had not had the opportunity to scope out potential neutral meeting locations, which was why he had asked Emilia to choose the meeting location. Second was his general distrust of libraries as a meeting place. More than once Winston had gained key information as a spy in the whispered confines of a library. The silence and general stillness served to allow people like himself to be across the building and still be able to pick up bit and pieces of the conversation, whereas here in Ahlstrom Square the noise of the city and active people created a screen of noise making eavesdropping much more difficult, and thus more apparent if people did try.

"I'm afraid that won't work so well as you think, there are some issues with the library I think, and I'd be willing to explain but to expedite the situation may I suggest meeting here tomorrow in the hours before dawn?"

Edited by Lanscaper, 20 February 2014 - 08:55 PM.

#42 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

Looking Good in Red
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

Emilia thought for a moment. She had already left Keep Hasting in the early morning once this week. If she did so again without explainable cause, it could look suspicious. While she could use her work as a spy for the house as an excuse, she wasn't sure if she wanted to be answering the types of questions that might be asked of her afterwards.

Furthermore, another visit to Ahlstrom square also caused her some concern. As evidenced by the pair's current surroundings, it was far too public to have a clandestine meeting. Already, Emilia could spot a few familiar faces among the crowds, and there were likely more she hadn't noticed who had managed to take note of either her or her companion. While the early meeting time would make for less of a crowd, that didn't mean they would have the square to themselves. Meeting at such an hour would make them conspicuous, and Emilia wasn't sure if that was a risk she was willing to take.

On the other hand, she was sure Winston's objections to the library were equally valid. Already, now that she was looking at her idea critically, she could see several of the problems it posed as a meeting place.

Say something! Emilia told herself sternly. She had to think of something, and quickly. If she lingered too much longer and too many more people noticed, all manner of discretion could be lost. Then it wouldn't matter what the truth of the situation was. All it would take was one misplaced rumor of her speaking with an Elariel agent and her station in House Hasting could be ruined. Especially given her current circumstances.

"The square is a nice locale, I'll grant you that, Lord Winston. However, I feel a certain hesitance to return to it so soon. I wouldn't want to grow bored of the scenery, after all. Going to the same places over and over again isn't a good habit for anyone to get into," she hoped he took her meaning. There was no telling who could be listening.

"Perhaps a stroll might do us some good? I have some shopping that needs to be done tomorrow. Might you accompany me? The commercial district is fairly lively at all times of day. That, combined with the constant changes in scenery should keep us from growing bored." They would also, hopefully, prevent anyone from spying on them. Neither were likely important enough to warrant a tail, and even if they were, Emilia knew the signs to watch for. The crowds in the morning would be light enough to pick out and avoid potential eavesdroppers, and moving while they talked would make them seem less suspicious.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

Winston as always watched his surroundings, taking note of the people around the square, especially those who spent longer looking at him. However most of his attention was on the young lady in front of him, watching her go through instances of hesitation as she presumably weighed the options of meeting him tomorrow or changing the meeting place to something else.

Her eventual response, only delayed by a mere two seconds by his count, was a polite refusal leading into a redirection towards accompanying her tomorrow as she shopped in the commercial district. I wonder what kind of shopping she is doing that skaa could not be tasked to. But it does present a, unique opportunity Within him a nagging feeling sprouted almost urging him to accept, and so he caved.

"That sounds lovely, I have some business of my own to attend to in the morning, but I should be able to make time in the late morning and perhaps a bit into the early afternoon, I'll have to see. If not I'll be here in Ahlstrom in the mornings for the next three days, you can send a messenger to me with the next meeting place, I tend to be free in the mornings."

#44 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

Looking Good in Red
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

And where am I supposed to find a messenger? Emilia stopped the thought before it could breach her lips. If she wanted to get anything useful out of Winston, she needed to appear as if she had something to offer as. Though she was relatively high ranking in House Hasting by birth, the disappearance of her mother had severely lowered her status. While her duties as a spy gave her access to information, and she had a stipend to pay for keeping up appearances, those were the limits of her resources. When it came to true wealth, or influence, or power, Emilia had next to nothing.

Careful, she told herself. Winston was obviously an observant man. Even now, she could see his eyes tracking people in the crowd while paying attention to her at the same time, and all with a practiced ease. This was a man who was used to knowing everything that was going on around him at all times.

"Lovely indeed," she agreed. "There's a quaint little dress shop owned by a skaa dress maker named Lan. It's located just north of Old Wall Street on Kenton. I'm getting a dress fitted for the Elariel ball in the morning there. Once I'm finished, I'll wait for you there until half passed noon. If you can't make it, a message would be appreciated of course." Let's see how ready he is to field a messenger. While skaa came cheaply, Emilia had very few contacts in the underground, and didn't know how she would go about chartering a reliable messenger. Perhaps she could learn something of value from Winston even if he cancelled their next meeting.

"I really must be going now. See you soon, Lord Winston," she said, giving a polite curtsy. Perhaps acting on her own to find information on her mother or cousin wouldn't be as difficult as she had thought.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#45 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:52 AM

Ah a dress fitting, that makes sense. Explains why she has to run the errand, although...I wonder why the skaa doesn't come to them, or why House Hasting tailors cannot...interesting. Winston made a mental note to inquire about ladies dresses at some point. In the past Elariel tailors had always been able to provide him with the necessary garments for house balls, he'd never thought about the process that women had to go through.

Winston watched as Lady Emilia said her farewells with a polite curtsy. Winston inclined his head slightly acknowledging her farewells. "And the same to you Lady Emilia."

Winston stayed seated, his hands moving with practiced ease as they pulled out notebook and writing set, as he observed the men and women around Ahlstrom Square. He took note of everyone whose gaze had lingered on him, but even more-so something bothered him about Lady Emilia, and so he paid more attention to the people who followed her. Words from his childhood echoed in his mind Do not only pay attention to that which concerns you, pay attention to the whole picture, especially our rivals.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users