The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

In Plain Sight

W2 D3 MM Winston Elariel Emilia Hasting

44 replies to this topic

#21 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginTremredare

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

His stab into the dark seemed that it hadn't hit anything of importance, yet he had hit something that kept her engaged. As to her statement that his information was outdated, well it would probably be more accurate to say that he had no information on House Hasting, at least other than the general basics that he'd been given back in Tremredare.

Winston simply looked at Emilia, "Then you should better control, or at least mask, your body language and reactions. Your facial control is fine, actually better than most, but hiding only part of your reactions does you no good"

"You're smart and perceptive Emilia, but if you couldn't read through that, then you aren't going to survive in the community for long. Same thing with your body language. Like I saw you realize something right after mentioning the how Lord Sheldon's wife doesn't have much to do with House Hasting."

"Speaking of Lady, I was not talking about the title. Rather I was talking about the honorific." Winston had been carefully watching Emilia, and something had occurred to him. There was no mention of her mother. She had mentioned her father, and her relatives in the line of sucession. But no mention of her mother, and while it might be for other reasons, Winston felt that this was significant. "I was talking about your mother, dear Emilia."

Edited by Lanscaper, 20 February 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#22 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

At the mention of her mother, Emilia wanted to panic and freeze. Who was this man? However, instead of tensing up, something of what he was saying seemed to sink in, and Emilia found herself merely sitting back and tilting her head slightly, giving him a look of curiosity. He's getting defensive she realized. While the physical evidence of his emotions was well hidden, his actions still gave them away. His argument had grown more elaborate. Perhaps she had hit a nerve.

When she spoke, her voice was calm. "First of all, milord, I think you will find I've been surviving in this community a lot longer than you have." Emilia knew the the faces of the Luthadel nobility, and had memorized far more of their names than most. Her duties as a spy to her house meant she had to be able to recognize people when she caught sight of them.

Emilia dear.... His intimate address left her with a problem. Like the note from the Casuana ball, it was worded like something her mother would say. With the emphasis he put on it, and the context of the sentence, it would seem he was implying he had spoken with her mother recently. Careful, she told herself. This could be a trap, laid by her mother's enemies. She didn't know this man or who he reported to. But she did know her mother well enough to know that if she wanted to get a message to Emilia, she would make sure it got there no matter what. Besides, her new companion did not seem like the type her mother would trust. He was far too honest.

"You honor my mother too highly then," said Emilia slowly. "For she has no more claim to that title than Colette. If you wish to honor her, it would be best to use the proper honorific. She is a lady of a noble house, thus "Lady Darlene" or "Lady Darlene Hasting" are both proper. To call her Lady Hasting, however, would be a sleight to those who hold the true title. The implications of such careless words could cause quite the scandal."

"The best lies are steeped in honesty." When she spoke, Emilia took care not to show how she truly felt. She imagined she was being tested, just giving a correct factual answer, rather than revealing a matter of personal interest. "Since you are new to town, I suppose I should inform you of another tidbit. My mother has been missing for over a year."

Emilia broke away from Winston's intent gaze and looked out over the rest of the square, then down at her hands. Adept as he was at studying her body language, he would likely interpret this as nervousness or grief. Which might be exactly what she wanted. "You are a skilled observer, milord," she said softly, "But your courtesy leaves much to be desired. I don't know how you expect to make friends here in Luthadel with such poor manners."

Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Winston watched Emilia carefully control her body language as she postured herself to make a natural response. But as she tilted her head back Winston felt yet another unfamiliar emotion stir within himself, it left him slightly disoriented and with an elevated heart rate. Is there a Rioter or Soother around? Winston carefully examined his emotions, carefully discerning where the origin of the unfamiliar emotion stemmed and eventually concluded that Allomancy did not have a hand in the moment of emotional confusion. As he engaged into what she was saying he caught mention of Lady Darlene Hasting.

There is something to that...why did that name sound familiar.. And Winston made the connection. Lady Darlene Hasting nee. Elariel, Lord Hector's sister, who had gone missing a year earlier, sparking the first concrete tensions between House Elariel and House Hasting for the first time in years. His mind continued to follow that train of thought until he realized that the girl sitting to his side was an Elariel. Certainly she may have been raised as a Hasting, but she had Elariel blood. He had wondered why he'd been so willing to gamble so much information on her, why he'd chosen the open and honest direction of conversation, why he wanted her to improve. Perhaps he subconsciously made the connection that she was an Elariel?

He quickly re-engaged into the conversation, waiting for her to come to a natural end. "My apologies then Lady Emilia. I think that I'll manage somehow when meeting with the rest of the Luthadel court." Winston paused, carefully weighing his next words. "By the way, a very astute conclusion that I am new to Luthadel, I've traveled quite a distance, and I think it providence that we've met and I've yet to be in Luthadel proper for twenty-four hours.." Winston reached into his portfolio pulling from it a certain paper with Lord Hector signature and seal on it. "One of the reasons why I am here in Luthadel is to represent interests of your uncle, Lord Hector Elariel. He would see how his niece is doing with the loss of his dear sister, with apologies that he couldn't reach out sooner. After all you are his kin." Winston leaned a little closer to Emilia, whispering. "Always an Elariel."

#24 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

Though Emilia had heard them often enough growing up, the words, spoken in those eerily deadpan tones, still sent a slight chill running down her spine. Despite her discomfort, she took care to store away the new information. Finding the identity of one nobleman in all of Luthadel would be almost impossible. Finding out the identity of a new arrival representing Lord Hector Elariel would be a far less daunting task.

"You may tell my uncle I appreciate his condolences," she said carefully, not knowing exactly how to proceed. She knew he was some sort of informant, and that he worked for the Elariels. Her mother had informed her that the Elariel intelligence network was among the best in Luthadel. Her mother's kin would likely know more about her disappearance than anyone else in Luthadel. Perhaps this man was Emilia's best hope of finding out what was going on. She was quickly growing tired of following the obscure clues that were left for her. For all she knew, she could be walking into a trap. Without information of her own, she was blind. With information, the picture might become clearer.

But could she trust the man's story? He was working for the Elariels, the family who had taught her mother how to lie. For all she knew he had been sent to find her, and this was all part of the bigger game. Though she didn't know the rules, or who she was playing against, Emilia did know one thing. If this was a game, she was tired of being a pawn.

"Well, now that I've received your message, milord, I suppose I should be on my way. I hope you have a wonderful day." Standing, Emilia began walking away without waiting for him to answer. His actions would speak louder than any answers she could wring from his lips. Forcing herself not to look back, Emilia began to wonder whether she wanted him to call after her or not.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

Something seemed off to Winston. He couldn't quite put his finger on what it was exactly, his nagging feelings telling him to burn tin so that he could figure out exactly what was going on. From what he could tell without the aid of tin there was some sort of tension, a conflict within herself. A movement caught his attention, Her leg? is she?

"Well, now that I've received your message, milord, I suppose I should be on my way. I hope you have a wonderful day."

As Emilia rose Winston finally gave into the impulse, and the roar of his newly endowed senses rushed into clarity. Winston didn't have enough time to use his usual method of focusing his senses using his pocket watch as a focus point instead during these few seconds that he was flaring tin he would take in everything.

His eyes followed her as she rose from the bench, hair bouncing slightly indicating that she had a bath recently and had her hair washed not too long ago, confirmed by the scent of soap underneath a fresh and sweet perfume that coated not only her hair and face, but the body of the dress itself.

Dress was perhaps too modest, more like a day gown by the cut of it now that he was paying closer attention to everything outside of the conversation. His eyes automatically were drawn into the maze of the weave of the emerald green thread of medium-grade silk. Still during all of this his sense of smell worked to find the scent beneath the perfume and soap, the smell that would be uniquely Emilia.

As she took her first step away the distinct impact on the cobblestones beneath her feet indicated soft leather flats, and the pattern of the rustling of her petticoats sounded like there were two layers of fabric. The sound of her breathing was clear although shallow, indicating a corset, which his eyes easily confirmed as the lacing made impressions against the back of her gown.

Winston quickly realized that he was not getting much information visually, her hair, shawl, dress, corset, gloves, and petticoats covered much of her exposed skin, making the minute muscle twitches obscured beneath the cloth. Still her fluid motions indicated that she'd had training or practice in the gown, nor any unfamiliarity with any aspects of her outfit, a potential sign of a habitual person.

He found it, beneath the perfume, sweat. She was stressed? Winston pondered briefly, as it was still early in the day making the likelihood of her sweat due to heat less likely. And as he began to follow that train of through, a breeze blew hurling the scents of the city at his sensitive nose. Winston sneezed, the pain searing throughout his body as his sensitive touch felt the pain of air passing through his nose at an incredible speed. As he recovered, he saw something as she reflexively turned in response to his sneeze, her hair had whirled away from her neck and as it did so he saw the hairs on the back of her neck standing straight up and the signs of fading goosebumps.

The mechanical thumping he felt in his pocket indicated almost five seconds had passed since she had risen from the bench. Winston's eyes stung and were watering, and as he habitually reached for his handkerchief he found that his handkerchief wasn't there. He frowned and began to search his other pockets to no avail, releasing his tin midway through the process.

#26 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

Emilia whirled at the sound of his sneeze, only to find him fumbling in his pockets searching for something. As she caught his eyes, she found them watering. That's odd he couldnp't be crying, could he? While he looked more disgruntled than she had seen him throughout their conversation, her certainly didn't look overtly upset, aside from the water in his eyes. Deciding she could take a risk, Emilia burned tin quickly, taking care not to flare to strongly, lest she overwhelm herself.

The light in the square brightened for a moment, and Emilia began to pick out details her unaided vision had missed. His eyes seemed irritated, and the way he was blinking seemed more like someone who had looked into the sun too long rather than someone who was upset.

She only allowed herself a second of observation, lest she allow a nearby seeker to zero in on her location. As her vision returned to normal, she felt her eyes water slightly, quickly blinking to clear them before anyone could notice. Had Winston stepped into a cloud of dust, making him sneeze...

Lord Ruler, how could I be so stupid? All at once, things came together for Emilia. The man was a tineye, and his eyes were watering for the seem reason Emilia's almost had. Judging by the extent of his reaction, he had flared tin much higher than she had. What was he looking for? Emilia realized suddenly how careless she had been. If the man was still burning tin, he might have noticed signs of her allomancy as well, even while seemingly distracted looking in his pockets. Had she given herself away?

Stay calm, she told herself. She didn't know how much he had observed, but she did know what she had managed to learn. He was an informant or spy of some sort from House Elariel, and an allomancer to boot, probably a tineye, but possibly a mistborn.

"Milord, are you well?" Taking a handkerchief from her sleeve, Emilia approached and offered it to him. "Here, use mine."

Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

As Winston released his tin he found something bothering him. That nagging feeling came back in force, this time more focused on her expression and details about her face. He began to dissect that memory, as his eyes continued to water making his vision a blur, his hands searching his pockets by rote memory.

Her face, something was off about her face. She had turned in surprise off of pure reaction to sound, but the emotions that he read on her face had a deeper curiosity to them, and then something changed about her just as his eyes watered and he had turned off his tin. He continued to replay the scene over and over in his until he became possessed about an idea without any proof, at least no proof that he could rationalize. That was the thing about his talent as Hector had called it, sometimes he couldn't actively rationalize why he thought certain things, but it had yet to steer him wrong.

"Milord, are you well?" Winston heard Emilia's voice now only a couple feet away. There was something else hiding beneath those words, an interest that was not there before, an interest in a secret. His mind made a connection that brought forth one of the most primal emotions that Winston could recognize, fear. She knows. She knows about my Allomancy. But if I'm right then I know her secret too.

On the edges of his watery vision he could see that Emilia was holding a handkerchief of her own out for him to use. "Here, use mine." Winston took the cloth from her hand with as much dignity he could project, and wiped his eyes clear of tears. His nose still throbbed, making the prospect of blowing his nose not only impolite but a painful ordeal.

After a few moments he met Emilia's eyes, "Thank you for your kindness Milady. I haven't sneezed like that since I was a child, been quite some time since I've felt this level of unpleasantness." Winston added conspiratorially, "But I have a feeling that you've experienced similar situations in your past, perhaps when you were eleven?"

Edited by Lanscaper, 20 February 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#28 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

He knows. Emilia took care not to let her expression slip. He knew about her allomancy. She might know about his as well, but if she let him gain the upper hand in the situation, it might not matter. Her status as an allomancer was the only thing securing her position with House Hasting. If she was outed as a tin-eye, some enemy of her mothers would ensure she was removed. An outed tine-eye was useless as a spy. With her father still away in the southern dominance, and her mother missing, she had no one to protect her any more. She was alone.

"Eleven?" she said, trying her best to seem puzzled and bemused. "That seems like an odd age to wait until to start sneezing. I can't say I remember the first time I sneezed, but I'm sure it must have been a great deal younger than eleven." House Hasting snapped it's allomancers around the age of ten, so while she might be exaggerating, it wasn't really a lie.

You're stalling. Make a move before he does. "I may have been rash in my decision to leave, milord. You were sent by my uncle, after all. Perhaps a mutual friendship would not be such a bad thing."

Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:18 AM

Winston carefully watched her reaction, as since he pointed out her weaknesses before she had been more conscious about her reactions and body language. She still had some work if she wanted to pass the discerning eyes of men like his former tutor Mr. Luric, but she would be unreadable to the vast majority of the nobility in Tremredare. Luthadel on the other hand, seemed to have an entirely different standard. Hints of her fear were bleeding through, as her body moved slightly due to unconscious conceptions as she forcibly made her body act against instinct. She's brave, a secret such as Allomancy has been exposed and she is still pushing back.

"I may have been rash in my decision to leave, milord. You were sent by my uncle, after all. Perhaps a mutual friendship would not be such a bad thing.". Exactly what I wanted.

"I'm glad that you've come to that conclusion. I think we are in agreement that we shall be discreet about certain...resources that each of us have. And I think that we are both comfortable with information exchange." Winston paused looking closer at Emilia. "Is there anything else that you would like to setup as ground rules?"

#30 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:55 AM

Interesting. The man quickly attempted to establish authority, attempting to lay out guidelines for their acquaintanceship, proposing a mutual exchange of information in exchange for both secrets remaining hidden. While Emilia wasn't certain how comfortable she was sharing information with this man, there was no specification on how much information he would expect from her. Besides, since they both had information on each other, he couldn't use her allomancy as a way to force her to divulge more than was comfortable.

It might be useful to have a pair of eyes and ears within Elariel. Even after her marriage, Emilia knew Darlene had maintained contact with her family as much as she dared. Perhaps she could use the information this man had to her own ends.

Furthermore, he finished by placing the ball in her court, allowing her to specify some guidelines of her own. Perhaps keeping his allomancy as secret was as important to him as hers was to her.

"I agree discretion will be necessary," she said slowly, thinking out her words carefully as she spoke. "And am glad to see you think so as well. I just want you to realize this discretion much stretch beyond our... mutual resources. If the nature of our agreement were to become public, I'm sure it could cause problems in both of our houses." Emilia tried her best to subtly insinuate the threat beneath the partial admission of her weakness.

"I will not take kindly to being betrayed, milord," Emilia said softly, hoping her slight smile had enough of her mother's poison in it. "I trust that, for our mutual benefit and well being, you will keep this mind."

Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:24 AM

Winston watched as Emilia smiled hinting at the pain and damage that she would inflict if he broke his end of the agreement. He felt himself begin to smile in response to her, and he knew instinctively that if his cousin Winston was around he'd be telling him to stop smiling. Still he picked up on something in her diction, the way in which she has said "cause problems in both our houses", and certain part of her body language bespoke of a fear of death. Perhaps I should assuage her fears.

"You need not worry about that Lady Emilia, I will hold to my end of our agreement. And if things should ever turn undesirable for you, I'm sure your uncle can find a place for you." Winston paused returning his face to his normal impassive mask. "Perhaps as a beginning to our agreement...you could provide information on the death of Mikeal Elariel, such as information on the dagger found in Mikeal's body."

#32 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

Emilia couldn't help but smile in amusement. Her new friend certainly was an eager one, getting right to the point, without wasting any time for formalities or coy deflections of intent. Of course he wanted to know about the distinctive dagger that killed Mikhail Elariel. Practically everyone in Luthadel wanted to know about it.

"Secrets are likes coins," her mother had said. "Each one has a different value. You would not trade a copper clip for a gold boxing. That is why it's not just important to know things, you must also know what those things are worth."

"A valuable secret you ask for, milord. I think, before we perform such weighty transactions, and introduction might be in order?" Emilia thought she knew enough about this man to figure out who he was on her own, but it couldn't hurt to ask. It might make him think her incapable of figuring things out for herself, but she could make use of his underestimation. Regardless, she wanted to know exactly who she was dealing with before she did anything drastic.

"After all, I've given you my name. Since we are friends now, it seems only fair you give yours in return."

Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

Winston hesitated. His first instinct was to create that barrier to prevent anyone outside of House Elariel from knowing his name, unless there was a social mandate upon the disclosure of that information. But the young woman before him was Elariel by blood, still he was not entirely sure of her loyalties to House Elariel. I'll have to work on that I think.

"I'm afraid that I cannot say who I am to you at this point, but an attentive person such as yourself can divine who I am." Winston carefully pulled out his portfolio, sliding a paper part way out of the top, so that the rest of the contents of the letter would be hidden by the leather of the portfolio case. It was his Letter of Introduction written in plain language, which he had had to write for Aaron yesterday, in explanation of the cipher the heir had needed to be educated upon.

After a few seconds to give her a chance to read the first two lines, he moved the paper back to it's place. "Now that that matter of business has been attended to, perhaps we can return the the matter I inquired about?"

#34 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

Emilia quickly skipped over the salutation, after noting and memorizing who the letter was addressed to, in an effort to read as much of the exposed text as possible.

I have the pleasure of introducing Winston Elariel, one of the most skilled accountants that we have currently on staff here in Tremredare. I send him to you in anticipation that he will prove of use in aiding House Elariel...

If 'Winston Elariel' was a mere accountant than Emilia was nothing more than a socialite. Emilia had heard the name Winston Elariel before of course, it was the name of her mother's nephew, the heir to the Elariel estates in Tremredare. This was obviously a different Winston of course. He was too young, and didn't fit the description of her cousin that Emilia had memorized.

His own competence gives him away., Emilia realized, as she felt the hint of her amused smile return to her lips. Winston was too talented for his own good, so obviously skilled in the information trade that it was impossible to imagine him being anything else. Especially a mere accountant.

He certainly was interesting, at the very least. With his uncompromising demeanor and that awkward and unsettling smile he had let slip for a moment earlier, Winston would obviously be out of his element in the Luthadel social scene, where personality and charm counted just as much as deception and intelligence. After reading the first few lines of his letter of introduction, Emilia had no doubt that Winston had become everything his family had ever wanted him to be, but had become an outcast in the process.

"What are you doing? You can't tell that stupid page boy we don't know anything about him!" Anabelle had kept her voice low and gentle, as always, but the venom in her words was obvious to Emilia. "How can we control him if he knows we don't really have anything on him?"

"But Anabelle," Emilia remembered saying, "He's barely of any use to us. You know as well as I do that he's... simple. I feel bad for taking advantage of him. It's too easy."

Anabelle's laughter that day had been clearer than any bell. "Oh Emilia, sometimes I forget what a child you are." Emilia could still feel the gentle brush of her cousin's fingers against her cheek. "If we are going to be successful, we have to press every advantage we have, even if that advantage is an addle-brained page boy. Pity is only a crutch for people who don't have the guts to do what is necessary to get ahead. It's for weaklings." Anabelle's hazel eyes glinted like hidden knives. "You aren't a weakling, are you Emilia?

I'm not a weakling. Emilia told herself. Outcast or not, Winston was a tool she had to use to possibly find her mother and to ensure her secret stayed safe. Nothing more.

Despite herself, the remnants of the memory forced the amused smile from Emilia's lips. "That depends, Lord Winston, on what sort of matter I might be able to inquire about in return. This relationship will be one that runs two ways, will it not?"

Posted Image
Posted Image

#35 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

"Of course Lady Emilia, I will honor an exchange of information, although perhaps in the event that there is no information that the other requires a system of IOUs can be established." Winston replied smoothly. His mind however was replaying the conversation and body language that they had exchanged thus far, and his mind latched onto one memory in particular.

"As for matters that you want me to inquire about, I think that comes down to what motives you have. Do you represent the motives of House Hasting? Or perhaps the information that you want me to inquire about is of a more...personal nature."

#36 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:15 AM

Emilia was unsure of how to proceed. If she implied she was working in the interests of House Hasting, she might seem more powerful, but at the same time, she would risk scaring Winston off. On the other hand, admitting her problems were personal in nature was too close to the truth for her taste.

If I'm going to tell him something, let's see how much I can get out of him in exchange. "I think, Lord Winston, that is a secret you will have to buy with one of your own. Perhaps you might reveal the real reason you've been sent to Luthadel with that fancy letter of introduction, since we both know you are more than just a skilled accountant?"

Posted Image
Posted Image

#37 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

Ah so it is personal in nature... Winston put together, referencing her earlier body language with what he was seeing now. She must be interested in the events around her mother. Still he did not want to scare her off, and if Winston was honest with himself he would have to make some inquiries about that matter. He knew some things, as Darlene Elariel was Hector's sister, and Hector was always concerned about some of the mischief that his sister was up to in Luthadel. He would make her work for that little information that he did know.

"You wish for a reason more so than what you already know?" Winston replied in turn.

#38 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

"I'd like the truth," Emilia said coyly. "If you wish to lie to me then I am more than happy to give you lies in return." Emilia paused thoughtfully. Her mother always said arrangements of this sort required a lighter touch. When people were at ease they gave more away, and being too proud or hard headed was the first way to put someone's guard up.

"In a gesture of good faith, I suppose I can go first," she said slowly. "While I may use what information you give me to aid my house, my reasons for seeking intelligence are primarily personal." Have I given away too much? Am I going to easy on him? Emilia didn't feel like she had given away anything too crucial, however her self doubt still refused to leave her. What if she made a mistake she couldn't recover from? What would happen to her then?

"I've told you the truth, Lord Winston, now it's your turn," she said softly. What is the true reason you've come to Luthadel?" I've dealt fairly with you, so I hope you will do the same."

Posted Image
Posted Image

#39 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

While Winston may know when other people were lying, he could not tell if other people could tell if he was lying, or if he could it was too late and would damage him later. She was perceptive enough to figure out you are a Tineye, what's to say that she is not discerning enough to pick out the lies... He had already played too much of his hand, he felt, even if she was an Elariel by blood she had just admitted that she would use the information that she learned from him to the advantage of House Hasting. Although expected, he still could not rationalize giving her too much information.

Winston spent a moment to compile his thoughts as to why he was in Luthadel. He had never really questioned why, he simply followed the orders that he was given. After a moment he finally started speaking, keeping his eyes on the square which was slowly becoming more and more crowded.

"In truth, I am not entirely sure of all the reasons I'm in Luthadel. I was ordered by your uncle to go to Luthadel and help here. Obviously part of this is due to certain talents that you and I both have, and some other talents I've been told are unique to me, of which includes a certain aptitude towards math. The other reasons why I am here in Luthadel are my own speculation on the intentions of my superiors, and in an attempt to keep to your stipulation of truth, I will not lie to you by spreading potentially false information. I will tell you that there are plans in the works where someone of my skill set will facilitate their implementation." Winston ended crisply, turning his head to meet the eyes of the young lady at his side. "Is that satisfactory? Or do you want more? If so I fear you'll have to make some accommodations. I am under the distinct impression that we are losing a certain amount of discretion as the morning wears on, and more of Luthadel's nobility rise and make their way here."

Edited by Lanscaper, 20 February 2014 - 08:55 PM.

#40 Emilia Hasting

• Hasting Spy

House Raisaal
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

Emilia nodded thoughtfully. Winston seemed honest enough. At the very least, he proved he was more likely to admit to holding some information back than to lie outright. His gaze was focused and direct, just like his driven personality. Emilia held it for a moment, before turning her attention to the square. Winston was right, as the morning continued, it was beginning to fill up with more people, and she had already been speaking with him longer than she normally would with a mere acquaintance. If she stayed any longer, people would begin to talk.

"I agree," she said. "Discretion is of great importance to me as well. It might be prudent to meet at a later time, at a more private locale." Emilia paused to think. Either of their respective keeps were out of the question, and she didn't want to let Winston choose a location he could completely isolate her in. Her mother and cousin had disappeared, she didn't want to vanish as well. She needed somewhere private, but with people nearby who could come to her aid should she be in danger.

"A quiet alcove in the Canton of Doctrine's library might do the trick. Perhaps we might continue our transaction there."

Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users