The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Retrieving Records

Closed W2 D4 MM Winston Elariel Zincell

12 replies to this topic

#1 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginTremredare

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Winston checked his pocket watch again. How long does it take for a carriage to get from Ahlstrom Square to Southbridge Docks? For Lord Rulers sake, how did my ledgers end up in the Elariel warehouse? They were to be delivered to my room. Winston thought with annoyance.

Every passing second that those documents were in a low security location weighed upon his mind. Not that he was worried that someone would crack his code. Over the past two days his personal cipher had yet to be even close to being cracked. But then again, the people who had seen it so far appeared to have solid memories, perhaps there was a danger in letting so many people see it.

He poked his head outside of the window to get his bearings and found that they were approaching the docks. Minutes later the coachman called out that they had arrived at the warehouse, and Winston exited the carriage calling the bag boy from the back to help him carry his effects.

Winston entered the warehouse and immediately found the scribes desk, grabbing their attention and handing them the packing slip order to them. From there he was told to wait. Rather than wait inside Winston felt drawn to something outside, something was nagging him, and eventually he found it. Another young girl, watching the docks but not actually working. I wonder...

Winston started to approach the girl from the side, taking care not to alert her until the last moments, till he was merely two steps away.

"Good Morning Miss. Might I ask what you're so intent upon?"

Edited by Lanscaper, 20 February 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#2 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

Zincell watched the docks intently while tapping tin for eyesight slightly, and tapping her tinmind for touch at a higher rate, attempting to empty it out. She filled steel as well, to try to fill her steelminds again, after she'd drained so much speed out of them the previous night. They were interesting, the docks, and she thought it was less likely she'd bump into some nobleman or another if she was crouching still, with her head poking out slightly from behind a few empty boxes.

Her luck, however, did not agree. Within the hour of her watching the area, another surprisingly polite nobleman appeared. Zincell’s eyes grew as her head instinctively moved away from the man. She froze.

"Uh, ah..."

Why couldn't she just go around watching things without people appearing out of nowhere? There were too many people in the area, it was the plain light of day, and running would probably end with her captured in some way. This wasn’t a small plantation filled with skaa, this was the city. She’d be lucky if she managed to go three blocks without bumping into yet another noble. This place was just crawling with noblemen wasn’t it?

She stayed still for a moment as she oppened her mouth and closed it a few times without uttering a sound. Then she had it.

“Wassing of the not of the notting of the things.” She said in a shaky voice of a confused and scared young eastern skaa. “ Not of the notting or the watching of the people. Not of the seeing. Notting of the nothing of the happening ”.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 09 October 2012 - 06:22 AM.

user posted image

#3 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

Eh...what? Winston looked at the girl with confusion, she appeared to be scared, but again that nagging feeling that there was something else going on prodded him observe closer.

His mind replayed the scene in a few seconds, the pause was too long he finally decided. This girl was a whole lot more intelligent than she wanted people to think. Now if only he could understand what she was saying in that blasted street dialect. Or perhaps there is another way.

Winston adopted what Aaron had started to call his, teacher's tone, the one that Winston used to lecture the House Heir as to proper actions. "If you would kindly drop the street slang young Miss. You erred in the first two syllables you uttered. You are a smart girl, and I'm not an obligator obviously, so perhaps we can have an intelligible conversation while I await my package."

Edited by Lanscaper, 20 February 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#4 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

Zincell swore. She nearly spoke on instinct; all those years of being told what to do and obeying were hard to fight against, but she managed to stop herself. The last intelligible conversation she'd had with a noble had involved a lot of fear, some sort of treasonous daughter, her body guard, and Zincell wanting to get out of there as fast as possible. Soon followed by a mistborn almost killing her, and her meeting the must absurdly amazing skaa she knew existed. Skipping to the "wanting to leave" phase one was probably the safest choice, so she decided to stay with the "untrusting and scared eastern skaa girl" persona and see if she could manage to avoid getting into another mess.

She moved slightly away from the man, like untrusting skaa tended to do when someone got near them.

"One needing not of being a needer, for notting and nodding of needed known things" She said, nodding toward a couple of obligators not too far from them talking to a nobleman about something.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 09 October 2012 - 06:19 AM.

user posted image

#5 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Winston almost felt like sighing, but refrained from the action. He looked over where the girl had indicated and saw the obligators, and got the gist of what she was trying to convey, that although he didn't necessarily have ill intentions it would not take too much effort on his part to get her into trouble.

Still he saw incongruities in her body language. She wanted her retreat to appear instinctive, but it came across as forced to his eyes. Her eyes were moving around wildly with fear, and while there was some honest fear in those eyes, there was a hint of calculation to the movement. I need to diffuse that fear, but how?

Perhaps a bribe? Or a hook? An idea sparked from events that had occurred just a mere twenty-four hours ago. Winston slowly reached into his vest pocket, pulling out his writing set and notebook, explaining as he did so. "Well then seeing as you are reluctant to drop the accent perhaps this might interest you instead." He setup his pen and nibs on a crate with meticulous care, and flipped to a blank page.

"I'm going to draw something that is around us. If you can correctly guess what it is you can runaway or earn yourself two clips." Winston reached into his purse holding out the two pieces of copper, he went on and continued, "At which point you have a decision to make, do you try a second round, or runaway, or accept a job which will pay nicely. If you fail however I'll do exactly what you fear and call over those obligators, unless you drop that accent and have a decent conversation with me."

And then without waiting for her to respond he started sketching. Two parallel lines down the center of the paper, followed by an assortment of rectangles to the left and the right of each line, he proceeded to draw distinctly shaped inlets from those first two initial lines, two on the right, and four on the left. I wonder if she'll guess this, this last inlet with an island in the middle is fairly distinct.

Edited by Lanscaper, 20 February 2014 - 11:13 PM.

#6 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

Zincell twitched back involuntarily when he reached into his pocket but relaxed when she saw it was a book. Then she tensed again when the nobleman showed he was set on playing some sort of weird game with her. Whatever happened to the noblemen who treated her like an animal and paid her next to no attention? Were they only around in the plantations? Was there something other than ash in Luthadel's water supply?

She realized what it was as he was halfway done with the inlets.

"...it's the docks as seen from above" She said with a shrug, switching from the slang into common skaa. She was about to run away when her stomach betrayed her with a growl. She needed as much money as she could get her hands on, after all... She gave a defeated sigh.

"Two clips please"

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 08 June 2012 - 07:32 PM.

user posted image

#7 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

Winston heard with satisfaction that the girl dropped the accent. Then he felt her pause as she decided what to do. He sensed more than he heard the growl of an empty stomach. He spent a few moments and cleaned his pen, and in doing so spent a few more moments studying the slip of a girl in front of him. Now that she wasn't trying to furtively get away he could see that the girl had small bracelets and armbands hidden beneath bandages all along her arms. Why then does she have money issues if she has enough for trinkets like that? His mind wandered off onto a tangent for a moment before he remembered why he chose this example, It is rare that an average skaa to be spatially aware enough to think of an aerial viewpoint...perhaps I've run into a member of the skaa underworld.

Still Winston held out the two clips, placing them into the open palm of the girl. But as he did so applied some pressure, not enough to be threatening, but enough to let her know that he was serious meeting her eyes.

"So what is your decision? Another test, a lucrative job, or run away?"

#8 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

Zincell thought for a moment.

"What would the job be about?" If this man was willing to just go around giving clips to random people, a job from him would probably be a good idea. Assuming Klyde approved.
user posted image

#9 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

"Reconnaissance of sorts" Winston replied. He spent a moment looking at the ships in the area, and then he found what he was looking for, and made a calculated risk. If that report I read last night is right, that's one of the Hastings, which means those crates in all likelihood is a shipment of weapons from the south....

"See that barge over there with the very finely dressed noblemen waiting on the dock?" Winston pointed with his pen. "I want their shipping manifest. Get it to me in the next five minutes and I'll give you a boxing." He pulled three gold coins from his purse. "Then I'll give you an opportunity to earn double that, if you can successfully put the manifest back without their notice."

It was a costly investment, but if this girl was related to the underworld as he suspected, three boxings would be a worthwhile investment.

#10 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

Zincell moved backward in shock. For a moment she was about to tell him that she wouldn't risk her life for three mere boxings, but held her tongue when she saw the nobleman's aide with the manifest. It was a single page. That shouldn't be too hard.

She walked past the noblemen, blending among a few skaa carrying some of the crates, and just when she was at the best angle, she tapped zinc and read through and memorized the whole page in a second. To make sure, she put that information in her new copper coin and read through and memorized it again.

Then she found another set of skaa moving in the direction toward the strange nobleman she'd just met, and merged among them until she was close enough to him she only had to take a few steps to get back to her original hiding place. The docks were quite busy this morning.

"May I use your notebook my lord?" she asked.
user posted image

#11 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

Winston watched with interest as the girl moved with the crowds artfully getting close, and then just when he thought the girl would make a snatch and grab she paused and stared. Winston felt something stir in himself, something he wasn't sure how to asses, so he ignored the feeling and focused on the facts at hand. It appeared he had just met a girl with either training in thieving or spycraft, or perhaps something even greater, raw potential. However caution made him wonder. Still he needed to know more.

He handed her the notebook and the pen, and watched her work. She was familiar with writing, her hands moved smoothly across the surface of the paper, gently applying pressure forming calligraphy skill that was beyond her age. Winston watched unable to properly asses the emotions in him, and kept his face passive, until that nagging feeling forced him to act.

He waited for the right moment, and prayed to the Lord Ruler that he would not exposed himself. Winston pulled out his pocket watch feigning that he was checking the time, but rather fell into the steady methodical pattern of the gears moving under the silver surface. Sixteen beats later Winston flared tin. And in that instant he saw that the two manifests lined up perfectly, penmanship aside that is. The girl was still working on filling out the paper but what he had seen so far more than exceeded his expectations.

He pulled the three golden boxings from his purse and laid them in the girls palm. "I think I'll have a job for you in the future" Winston murmured quietly, "Feel free to bring your crew along too, I think I have a job that will be worth it for all of you." Winston carefully watched her reaction as he said crew and there was a reaction, without tin he couldn't entirely discern what that reaction meant other than a confirmation that there were other people.

"If you are interested I'll be at the middle of the Old Wall Bridge two days from now."

#12 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

Zincell closed her hand on the boxings and bowed respectfully to the odd nobleman as someone arrived to tell him something.

She'd worry about how to tell Klyde later on. Food was her priority at the moment. Zincell decided to take advantage of the short window of time she had while whoever was talking to him requested his attention, and started to leave for the market.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 19 April 2012 - 05:35 AM.

user posted image

#13 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:33 AM

Winston's attention was pulled back to his business here at the docks, the clerk and the bag boy had loaded his trunks onto the carriage. Now he needed to ready himself for the next meeting. The meeting with Emilia Hasting. The conversation that he had had last night, and the information that he had managed to glean was little, but perhaps it would be enough to keep Emilia interested for a while longer. The carriage pulled away from the docks, headed towards Lan's Shop. They would drop him off a couple blocks away from Lan's Shop, and the bag boy would also get off, and take care of his role in the meeting.

In the meanwhile his mind continued to work, thinking of how to arrange the job that he would pitch at the Old Wall Bridge in two days time, how meeting Emilia might turn out, the first lady that he had met before Emilia, and the events happening in House Elariel. Everything is for House Elariel.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users