The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Rise and Shine

11 replies to this topic

#1 Magnus Venture

• Captain of the Venture Guard

Tineye
  • Age45

• Relationship StatusMarried

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:56 AM

Magnus was early to rise, as usual. The mist hadn't yet cleared from the night before, and he already began his rounds of the keep. He walked with calm strides, surveying the guards. They all seemed to be on their toes, and Magnus didn't blame them. He welcomed the change in attitude from the men. What happened the night before shook them to their very core.

The early morning rounds marked the beginning of the day. Training would come once the sun was fully up on any normal day, ashfall or no ashfall. This was a normal routine for Magnus. It was a very good things for the men to see. Their spirits would be raised, knowing that Magnus felt that all was normal.

Today would have been normal if he didn't have to get ready for the executions. It didn't seem to matter whether or not he wanted to go watch people get killed. He was compelled to because of his gender. Magnus would rather be productive with his waking hours.

Apparently his son didn't think much of the executions either. After fighting the way he had the night before, Magnus was not surprised Broderick had yet to get out of his bed... but that was no excuse.

He went to his son's door, and knocked. He tapped his dueling cane on the ground, impatiently, and decided it would be better to just open the door. If he was that dead asleep, Broderick probably wouldn't wake to just a simple tap on the door. A tap on the shoulder, though, might just do the trick.

It was dark in the room, the curtains drawn to keep out the light from filtering in too early. He tapped his cane on his son's shoulder.

"Just because you fought off a horde of skaa last night doesn't mean you get to sleep in." He went to the curtains and drew them back, hoping to shine some light into Broderick's room.

Edited by Moru, 31 December 2012 - 02:58 AM.

#2 Broderick Venture

Atium Chandelier
  • Age20

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:08 AM

Sleep. Sweet, deep, relaxing sleep. Broderick had collapsed into bed the night of Phyra's insanity, still dressed in the remnants of his suit from the ball, on top of the covers. He had decided, as he drifted off, that he wanted to sleep for a year.

But apparently it was not to be, as far too soon, there was a tap on his shoulder. "Just because you fought off a horde of skaa last night doesn't mean you get to sleep in," a familiar voice said, and then light flooded the room.

Broderick tried to answer, but it took a few attempts to actually make sounds that had any coherent meaning.

"Bu-wha? Father?" Since when did Father himself come on these wake-up calls? Usually he just sent a servant. And... wait a minute... "How did you...? What time is it?"

Posted Image

#3 Magnus Venture

Tineye
  • Age45

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:31 AM

"Indeed," Magnus said to his son's incoherent babble. He looked out the window, observing a gap in one of the rotations around the keep. His teeth clenched. That was not supposed to be there... He'd need to fix that before he left for the executions.

He turned back to his son, and stared at the shambles. "You need to get dressed. We have to leave for the executions soon, and I want to do another round of the keep before we leave.

"Were you going to tell me about the skaa, or was your plan to let your mother blabber about it all morning so she'd have something to talk about while we ate breakfast?" Magnus asked, flatly.

Edited by Moru, 31 December 2012 - 02:58 AM.

#4 Broderick Venture

Atium Chandelier
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:43 AM

"I-what? No, I-" Broderick shook his head, hoping to wake himself up a little more. Stupid sunlight; it was hard to think like this. "Phyra. I was going to tell you, but Phyra." Dammit, why couldn't he talk right?

"There were more important things to talk about," he managed finally.

He really needed to get back to sleep.

Posted Image

#5 Magnus Venture

Tineye
  • Age45

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Phyra. The blight on the Venture House. It was a blessing that they got rid of her. Although, it would have been nice to know it was getting taken care of, rather than being left in the dark. Magnus was only in charge of the guard. He could benefit from knowing Phyra was going to be taken care of... but apparently Ellsworth didn't see it that way.

"I don't care how many important things there are..." Magnus said. "I want to know when you get into fights." Magnus, had be been better at parenting, would have told Broderick how proud he was that his son, the pewterarm who took after his father, had managed to take on eight skaa and live. Not that skaa were particularly hard to fight, but some of them fought dirty.

"Now, get out of bed. The executions will not wait simply because you didn't want to wake up with the rest of the world."

Edited by Moru, 31 December 2012 - 02:59 AM.

#6 Broderick Venture

Atium Chandelier
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

The executions! Of course! That was why Father had come in person! It was the law for men to attend them; if Broderick slept through them, he risked getting their whole house in trouble. He'd better get up and moving - and fast.

His body didn't seem to agree, though; he was still extremely sore from the fight last night, and the sudden movement made him groan. Pewter... he needed pewter. Well, he didn'tneed it, but it would certainly help. He shambled across his room, trying to get to the cabinet where he kept his pewter, but in the process, he knocked another cabinet door open, causing a veritable treasure trove of books and maps to spill out and onto the floor.

Really? Broderick asked himself, slapping himself on the forehead. There was no way he could let Father see these! If he saw, and knew just how incompetent Broderick really was with maps... that he really was trying to learn these things and still didn't get it... Well, he could only imagine how disappointed he'd be.

Grumbling under his breath at his stupid clumsiness, Broderick scrambled to try and stuff everything haphazardly back in the cabinet before his Father could see what it was.

Posted Image

#7 Magnus Venture

Tineye
  • Age45

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:29 AM

Magnus tried to be a patient man, but Broderick liked to test that thin veil patience every waking moment of the day. He stood with his hands behind his back, one arm gripping the other at the wrist. He watched his son crash about the room, letting a pile of books skitter across the floor and tried to pick them all up.

One of them had gotten closer to Magnus, and before Broderick could grab it, he scooped up the discarded book. There was a bookmark about halfway through on a volume called "Maps and Strategy." by a well-known military enthusiast. Magnus owned several of his more well-known works. He raised an eyebrow and looked over the book at his son.

"Light reading?" he asked, tossing the book gently back to Broderick. "I didn't think you paid attention to my lessons anymore, let alone read about the subject material in your free time."

#8 Broderick Venture

Atium Chandelier
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:19 AM

Broderick braced himself for what was sure to be an avalanche of crushing disappointment. Surely when Father realized just how horribly he really was at this stuff, he would be upset...

... But there was no disappointment in Father's voice as he tossed the book back. No anger. Broderick was so surprised that he actually caught the book without thinking, when he might otherwise have fumbled and dropped it.

"I didn't... want you to know," he admitted at last, looking away in embarrassment. He began stacking the books again, even though a servant would do it for him if ordered, just to have somewhere else to look. "I pay attention, I just don't get it. Not the way you do. Even looking it up on my own doesn't help.

"I've disappointed you enough. I didn't want you to know I'm a failure."

Posted Image

#9 Magnus Venture

Tineye
  • Age45

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

Magnus returned to his neutral position with his hands behind his back. His face didn't belie any of his thoughts of his sons successes, or failures if that was the case.

"You have not failed until you have given up completely," Magnus said, curtly. He was more proud of his son today than he had been for the rest of the boy's life, not that he would say that out loud. "You did very well yesterday in the courtyard, fortifying our defenses, and if you keep at your studies, you may be able to do great things someday."

He cleared his throat, changing the subject "Hurry and dress, we're late enough already."

#10 Broderick Venture

Atium Chandelier
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

"You did well."

You did well....

Did well...

The words echoed through Broderick's head, as though his head had suddenly gone empty and there was plenty of room for them to bounce around in there. Father... had praised him. For trying. Father thought he could do something great. Father, whom Broderick thought he would never be able to please.

If he looked out the window right now, Broderick wondered idly, would he see skaa flying right now?

A huge grin split his face, and before he did anything else, he stole a glance out the window. Maybe he was still dreaming. He didn't see any flying skaa, but he did catch something that was out of the ordinary.

"Did you see this, Father?" he asked, frowning. "Is just me, or is there something off about the guard today? Right down there, above that courtyard where I fell out of that window when I was little. It doesn't seem like they're where they're supposed to be. I know everyone's tired from last night, but still..."

Posted Image

#11 Magnus Venture

Tineye
  • Age45

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:16 AM

Magnus' usual scowl returned to his face when he observed what Broderick pointed out. His eyes narrowed and his lips pressed into a thin line. Whether they were tired or not, it was unacceptable to have holes in the ranks. Even on a day where no noble house would plan an attack on another. It would be unseemly to do so the same morning of the executions.

"That will need ... correcting," Magnus said, his voice was even, but there was a hint of anger behind it. His hands were still behind his back, but his right hand was squeezed so tightly, his knuckles turned white. "Stop stalling and get dressed," he barked as he turned to leave the room. "If I make it to the carriage before you, your studies will double for a week... and unless you are training you will be in your chambers, is that clear?"

#12 Broderick Venture

Atium Chandelier
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:05 AM

Ack.

"Yes, Father!" Broderick said in response, and as soon as the door shut, he
flew into motion. He had to get dressed, get ready to go, and make himself presentable before Father reached the carriage. And he probably wasn't going to make it easy.

And as he did that, he couldn't help but think back on what had just happened. Father had praised him. Openly. He'd said that he could be capable of things. Father believed in him, even if he didn't act like it.

Those few moments were probably some of the best in his entire life.

And he was so happy just remembering them that he ran into the door on his way out of his room.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users