The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Lucius Hamilton

3 replies to this topic

#1 Wysp

Skaa

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

Lucius Hamilton
Rioter Noble

Player Information
Name/Handle: Wysp
OoC Account: Wysp
Contact Information: Not sure what this is asking....PM me, I guess?

Character Information
Name: Lucius Hamilton
Type: Noble
Place of Origin: Felise
Relationship Status: Single

Powers Allomancy

-Type: Misting
-Metal(s) Used: Zinc
-Degree of Skill: Intermediate

Appearance: Appears physically fit, about 6' in height. Short, dirty blond hair, blue eyes. Comports himself with energy and earnestness, but can be seen to rely on his cane perhaps a bit much at times. His voice rings clear and true with a conviction in what he's saying. His typical attire is that of a courtier.

Special Skills: Discernment, Lying, Inventing
Strengths: After spending enough time watching the machinations of the noble houses, Lucius is capable of discerning almost any lie told in his earshot. He has a creative mind and tends to examine problems from several angles.
Weaknesses: He can't run, and is not as capable in combat as a Hamilton is expected to be. He has a pressing need to prove he's useful to House Hamilton.

Personality: Lucius is not capable of guard duty due to his injury and thus has made himself useful to his house by attending social gatherings to attempt to garner power. While he has grown to accept the social scene, he feels bitter that he is not as martially capable as the rest of his house and that his house is so weak, politically speaking. While not part of his orders, he's made it his secret mission statement to make Hamilton a Great House, whether during or after his own lifetime.

History: Born 886 to Calvin and Sarah Hamilton, Lucius Hamilton was an oddity from a young age. He showed a penchant for working out the "why" of a problem before the "how" of solving it. He applied this to his martial training, and experimented with what he was taught, approaching things from a new angle and often thinking of things that were more advanced than he should know. However, practice is different from theory, and Lucius simply found it difficult to translate the latter into the former. He found that he preferred to design machines, instead. His first idea was a gear-drawn bow, using gears to draw a bow with a strong tension much greater than most men could pull. He constructed a few prototypes, but they never took off due to his inexperience in the field of weapons design at the time, let alone actually realizing those designs.

He snapped at the age of nine, when he was challenged to a duel by another Hamilton trainee (a twelve year old prodigy with a high estimation of himself). His leg was seriously injured when his opponent tripped him up and cut his right leg out from under him, almost literally. This permanently crippled him and effectively removed any chance of him being useful in a martial capacity. He did lose the duel after taking this injury (which proved insurmountable), a failure which has haunted him ever since: he had viewed this as a chance to prove that he was just as competent as anyone else, and this shut that door permanently, a problem he'd never had to deal with prior to the duel.

It was entirely by accident that he discovered an alternative to life as a guard--he overheard an older Hamilton discussing a party that would be held in a few days, and resolved to go to it--after all, it'd be more interesting than the treatment he received from those who could do more on the battlefield than serve as a standard-bearer. So he bribed one of the guards to let him out that night and attended the party. He found it actually somewhat interesting, as the variety of people was much greater. He mentioned his name and House to several others there, and continued to do so at other parties he secretly attended. He got lucky--news of House Hamilton's services reached the ear of another House that was looking for guards, and when a noble from that House visited the Hamilton compound, Lucius' nocturnal exploits came to light. However, instead of punishment (or perhaps as punishment) he was taught to be a socialite, learning to procure contracts with other Houses for Hamilton. However, he has always kept up his pursuits as a weapon designer in private.

He first officially attended a ball under the tutelage of an older cousin, one of the House whose job it was to bring in contracts. He was overly nervous, knowing that he was being watched and judged. This unfortunately restrained him from being as forward as he should have been. He did not bring any contracts that night, nor for a few occasions afterward, but once he got the hang of it, he found himself capable.

The most notable incident during his political career (and one that gave him an uncomfortable reminder that skaa are easily as dangerous as nobles) was a near-death event when a noble he was negotiating a contract with was assassinated by skaa resistance members. He managed to inspire enough fear in them (followed through by seriously injuring one with an ornamental sword) that they fled. He interrogated the wounded skaa and got into his head, learning what drove the resistance. He's kept in his head ever since that skaa are as dangerous as nobles when they want to be. After the incident, he was questioned and, judging that nothing ill would come of it, related what he'd learned to the men questioning him. It was not anything of worth--he'd been interested in their motivations, not their methods--and nothing came of the matter.

Roleplay Sample
Lucius looked around the ballroom, getting his bearings. It didn't take long for him to find the primary clump of obligators, and then he went to find the nexuses of power. There seemed to be about three of them, but he couldn't see their sources. At least one was certain to be Eston, as they were the House holding the ball. The other two, he'd have to find out. He put on the required ball mask he always wore: the confident and cheery face that he always wore, and limped into the room, leaning over his cane as if it were his own leg. He didn't like to stand on his bad leg too much, so he made seeking a chair a priority.

He decided not to drink tonight, as was his custom--alcohol, he believed, clouded the head, and made his judgement unreliable, despite its soothing effect on the leg he knew would be sore by night's end.. Instead, he scanned the crowd. It didn't take long for him to find a likely target, an older noble whom he recognized as the brother of the head of House Eston--someone who would have pull on deciding whether to get a contract or not. He pushed off of his cane and pulled himself to his feet, slowly navigating his way toward his chosen project.

"Lord Samuel." He said, greeting the other lord. "A pleasure to see you again." He watched for the telltale moment which many nobles to recall distant acquaintances, and didn't see it. This man was an old hand at the political game, as expected, and his face was an utter mask of gentility as, less than a second later, he greeted Lucius.

"Ah, Lord Lucius. A pleasure to see you as well. I believe we met two weeks ago?" Samuel took Lucius' free hand and shook it.

"Indeed.. It's good to be here." Lucius said, his mask of enjoyment turning a lie into a most convincing statement of truth.

"I'm pleased." Samuel replied. Lie. Lucius' senses pinged. No surprise there--most of the people here were probably at least indifferent, if not inimical to a good number of the others in the room. Regardless, these balls were where business was done, and so he went, just like everyone else.

"Your house seems quite prosperous lately." Lucius said. "I must compliment you on your newfound wealth."

"You are most considerate, Lord Hamilton." Samuel said. "Gillesen's loss of that plantation, whilr unfortunate, proved to be a windfall."

"I'm pleased to hear that." Lucius replied, a smile of curiosity on his face. "You wouldn't mind if I asked how you achieved it?"

"It wasn't too hard--after..." he coughed politely, "the ambitious scum from the wilds...burned down the plantation manor, Gillesen couldn't rebuild it. My brother generously offered to purchase the land from them. Obviously we have no need for a plantation of that kind, so we constructed the manor from the ground up and sold it to Halbeck."

"Well played, sir--though," his brow furrowed in feigned concern for his target, "you're certain that Gillesen knows who's responsible?"

"They see mist where there is none." Samuel waved an arm as though shooing away a pesky fly.

"That is true." Lucius said. "But they might be more inclined to blame a credible threat than the ones responsible--after all, those jokers aren't even smart enough to learn to read." He smiled.

Lord Samuel gave a perfunctory laugh. "That is quite true." He said. "I suppose Gillesen might not be inclined to believe the true story--not from me, at any rate."

"Indeed. I've heard that cooler heads are...not exactly prevailing in Gillesen at the moment." He spoke hesitantly, as if confiding a secret in his target.

"A pity." Samuel's brow furrowed ever so slightly. "Your house specializes in guards, yes?"

"It does indeed, my lord." Hook, line, and sinker. It'd been relatively simple, but once he'd brought up a potential retaliation by Gillesen, it had been fairly obvious how it'd go.

"Considering that Gillesen might do something which they might regret, would you be inclined to provide your services for a month?"

"Assuredly, my lord." Lucius nodded, leaning more on his cane. "For someone such as yourself, I can put in a good word with Lord Hamilton for you. I wouldn't be surprised if he was inclined to set a lower rate, especially for you." There would be no such discount, of course, but is he believed that House Eston got special treatment, he would be more inclined to purchase services from them in the future. "If you would like, I can make the appointment at your earliest convenience."

"That would helpful, Lord Lucius." Lord Samuel said. "I believe I will be able to speak with Lord Hamilton two days from now, in the afternoon."

"I shall inform him, my lord." Lucius said. He bowed and turned away, his face not changing an iota as he scraped a layer of accumulating pomp and circumstance off of his brain.

Edited by Lucius Hamilton, 29 July 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#2 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

House Raisaal

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

Hey Wysp, sorry it's taken so long to get a response up to Lucius. I read him ages ago, but for some reason forgot to respond until now. Sorry!

First of all, I'm not sure where Lucius's lie detecting ability comes from. People don't just naturally develop a talent for telling when people are lying, it's a skill that needs to be learned, and Lucius needs the means and a reason for learning it. Granted, some can be better at it than others, but they still have to learn it somehow, either by experience, observation, or by being taught by someone. It would be nice to see where Lucius learns this skill in his history. Also, keep in mind that there are limits to observational skills. Some lies can simply not be caught. While Lucius could conceivably be able to call the bluffs of poor or even possibly intermediate liars, masters of deception should still be able to get away with it.

I think Lucius does have potential. He'll obviously do well in the Luthadel social scene, I'd just like to see him be a little more realistic. You might want to throw in some social/mental weaknesses that he has to struggle with in order to achieve his goals just to make things a little more interesting, but that's not necessary. Let me know if you have any questions/objections/concerns. Sorry again for taking so long to get back to you.

Posted Image

#3 Wysp

Skaa

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

My logic was that if he'd been dealing with all the crap you find in Luthadel he's have to be able to be able to pick out lies pretty well. You do, however, have a point, and I'll tone that down.

I'll see what I can think of for mental/social weaknesses. Thanks for the pointers.

#4 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

House Raisaal

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:10 PM

It is true that living among the elite of Luthadel is likely to give a person a lot of exposure to lying, but there is a reason that not every single noble in Luthadel is a human lie detector. If you want this to be a particular strength of Lucius's (ie, he's better at it than the average nobleman), you should show how this talent developed in his history. Maybe he was burned by a lie at a young age, and that caused him to be more conscious of when people are telling the truth, which in turn led him to observe certain signs that allow him to tell when certain people are lying.

If you justify his talent with experiences in his history, then it's fine, as long as it stays at a realistic level, ie: while facial expressions and physiological signs can help detect dishonesty, they are not even close to being 100% reliable, even for those who are best at utilizing them.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users