The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

New House Smell

Closed W2 D4 EM Zincell Jonesi

88 replies to this topic

#1 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:44 AM

Zincell woke up in total darkness. There was a short moment of confusion as she noticed she could barely move without her everything hurting. Her knees hurt, her feet hurt, her head hurt, her shoulders hurt, as did her neck, her arms, her hands, her abdomen, and everything she tried to move. She started filling her tinmind for touch and the pain went away, thankfully.

She was in the dark, hidden guest room of a Skaa plumbing workshop. The rest of the workshop was populated by wonderfully hospitable skaa that were making her somewhat wary. She'd surived the night, the mistborn was gone, and she'd slept on a bed--or a bed equivalent anyway, for the first time in ages. Something bad was bound to happen soon, she was certain. Zincell stood up and felt her way around. She stretched and felt around to make sure her metalminds weren't showing. Someone very observant might notice her steelminds on her feet, but nothing else was showing.

Zincell made the bed without needing to see it. She hadn't made a bed in years and yet the habit was still there. The bed was properly made, and she put on the slippers they had lent her and pulled the door open. She grabbed the clothes she'd been lent, also folded to perfection by her as though she were precise machinery, and left the room to look for Jonesi and her own clothes. He was at a table near the middle of the workshop.

"Um...good morning sir. Where should I put these?" She asked him.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 11 October 2012 - 04:58 AM.

user posted image

#2 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• Relationship StatusWidowed

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

Jonesi was in the midst of reviewing young Master Marcus' notes and calculations concerning the Casuana job.

"Um...good morning sir. Where should I put these?" Jonesi turned around and found the girl that had literally dropped in during the night. The girl who could out run a Mistborn, survive a six story fall, and was now standing behind him with the change of clothes that Lillith had provided for her.

Rather than address her directly he called out, "Mel! You done with our guest's clothes yet?"

Her clear young voice called from across the workshop, "Yes Uncle."

"Bring them here then little one!" Jonesi called back.

He turned toward the young guest, who was still in her borrowed nightgown. "The washroom is free at the moment I do believe, you can change into your clothes there." After a moment's pause he recalled something that Yoosuk mentioned. "Oh and feel free to use it again if you want, seems that you figured out the mechanics of the shower and tub."

Young Mel approached with the guests clothes, the bloodstains were gone, the holes patched, and the hems neatly mended. "These are yours I do believe, I believe that we took some liberties in restoring your clothes and I hope that you'll like what you find."

"When you are finished changing come on down again, I'll show you to a safe-house.."

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 06:08 PM.

#3 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

Zincell went up and changed in the bathroom. The offer to have another shower or bath was tempting, but she already looked far cleaner than the average street skaa and she didn't want to get used to the luxury. She put on her bandages, which looked white again, and made sure they covered her metalminds well. She didn't have to worry much about hiding her upper arms, the now mended sleeves hid her metalminds very well. Then she put on the rest of her clothing. After a minute or so Zincell was back downstairs walking to Jonesi's table.

"All ready, sir"
user posted image

#4 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

"Alright, let me finish up here." I thought I'd have more time, girls her age tend to relish taking baths, well least the ones with her level of refinement. Jonesi mentally amended, his hands methodically rolled up the blueprints that laid on the table and packed them into the wooden storage tubes. He brought them over to the rack and stacked them away properly before returning to the table to fetch the notes young Lord Marcus had left before stowing them away safely.

Jonesi found his old cane and went about gathering the things that he would need to this trip adding them to his pockets. "Okay little one, follow me." He motioned to the young girl before leaving through a side door of the workshop.

#5 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

Zincell followed the man out the door, thinking about the offer he'd given her. She'd love to be part of a big friendly family with a great many resources, but she knew she wasn't supposed to. Zincell was a keeper, she was a feruchemist -- one of the few left in the world thanks to Lord Ruler's breeding programs. She had to do something useful for the Synod if she was going to go around being as selfish as she was being. That was why she went around telling stories to people in hovels and gathering dialects in her copperminds.

Zincell had a duty, a very important one that she was neglecting near constantly. A wonderful group of skaa would make it harder for her to leave when she eventually went of to the south, possibly to the Southern Isles which was somewhere she really wanted to see and document. Very few keepers went there, and she was nearly sure no one had documented their accents.

She followed Jonesi quietly, wondering what would happen when she told him she couldn't stay.
user posted image

#6 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

Jonesi slowly made his way down the street stopping occasionally to greet a familiar face. A few blocks away from the workshop the neighborhood children flocked to him gathering around, and he shared some stale bread he had brought with him for this purpose. He talked jovially, inquiring about some of the new faces and old ones that were not present today.

After the children had dispersed, he turned to the young girl. "Sorry for the slow going little one."

#7 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

"It's no problem" She said. Zincell had been lost in thought for most of that time anyway and hadn't really noticed the speed at which they were going. It was odd seing someone be so generous. She was supposedly an anomaly because she gave coins to beggars, but this man seemed to just give and give to others as a second nature. It was awe inspiring.
user posted image

#8 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:52 PM

Jonesi continued on, watching the streets, looking for signs from family members that had gone to ground or for signs from his various contacts and informants spread throughout the city. The few signs that he saw this morning he took note of, and prayed that his failing memory would remember them. Perhaps I'll be able to write them down on the way back if this young guest decides to stay at the safehouse.

Finally they were a few blocks away from the River Channerel and Jonesi made his way into a wholesale fabric warehouse. The obligators and the noblemen as well as the skaa took no notice of him or his companion, they were pre-occupied with some unknown chaos on the other end of the warehouse. I really should tip those kids better.

Midst the confusion he opened a trapdoor in a blind corner of the warehouse, making his way into the sewers below.

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#9 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

Zincell frowned and stopped when she heard the chaos on the other side of the warehouse and tapped tin to hear better before realizing how far ahead Jonesi had gotten and running to catch up to him...Whatever horse-related incident had happened was awfully convenient for them to be able to slip through where they were going.

Still, she didn't say anything.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 22 September 2012 - 07:02 PM.

user posted image

#10 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

Once he was in the sewers he found his way in the darkness towards where a cache of torches was. He stuck a finger into some ash he had in a pocket blindly drawing a symbol on the wall. As he finished he pulled flint and steel from his pockets lighting the torch with experienced hands.

In the newly lit sewers he found his bearings and headed off, talking as he went, "There are a couple ways to get in and out of this safe house, but I don't suggest you take this way until you learn the surrounding sewers. Stay with us a few years and perhaps you'll be able to learn these sewers like the back of your hand, but that takes time." Jonesi paused getting his bearings again. "Ah, this way." he said to himself mainly as he took yet another fork. "We're approaching the safe house from underneath, you'll have to go topside at some point to actually enter your safe house but I'll let you see for yourself."

#11 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

Zincell looked at the wall for a moment when Jonesi lit up the torch, thinking that she'd seen something, though her eyes might have tricked her when they were adjusting to the light. She tapped tin for eyesight and realized there was a kind of drawing there. She hurried towards Jonesi confused.

"What was that?" She asked.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 22 September 2012 - 08:35 PM.

user posted image

#12 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

Jonesi turned around and looked at the young girl, "What was what?"

#13 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

"that... symbol in the wall" Zincell said somewhat puzzled.
user posted image

#14 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

Jonesi thought about it. Which symbol is she taking about? Is it the one I drew or did someone leave me a message that I did not see?

He stopped and turned around, "Show me."

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 06:10 PM.

#15 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

Zincell walked back a few steps and the old man the symbol she'd seen. A circle with two dots on the middle.
user posted image

#16 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

Jonesi looked where she was pointing, at the symbol that he had just drawn a few moments ago. "That's a pathfinder marking." Jonesi replied dismissively, not wanting her to be aware of the actual significance in that symbol. "People down here use them to keep track of where they've been. It's a precaution the unfamiliar use."

It is better for her to be unaware that there is a tail. On whom the tail was he did not know, but between the distractions that the kids had made and their movements through the sewers, their tail would be hard pressed to follow them, given that they kept moving, and that Jonesi's message got to the intended parties.

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 06:10 PM.

#17 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:09 AM

"Oh, well... Right then" Zincell said. They seemed to have a really elaborate system here. Taking notes on it would probably be a good idea.
user posted image

#18 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:55 AM

Jonesi looked at the girl in the flickering torchlight, her expression was one that he had seen interspersed throughout the previous night and in the few times that he had looked back at her as they walked. What is she thinking about? But before he could distract himself too much Jonesi refocused on the task at hand, We need to keep moving.

"Well follow me little one." Jonesi forged through the darkness, torch held aloft to light their way.

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 06:11 PM.

#19 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:19 AM

Zincell followed Jonesi, trying to think about the choice she'd been given. She couldn't take the offer. Zincell didn't want to further endanger their lives, and she still had a lot of things to document. But they were so nice, she didn't want to reject them either. And there was also the question of how they knew about allomancy just like that. Which needed some answering.

"Um... Sir, uh--How do you and your family know about allomancy?" She asked after a bit of walking.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 24 September 2012 - 07:50 PM.

user posted image

#20 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:23 AM

Jonesi stopped in his tracks. Where is that question from? Is this what she's been thinking about? Jonesi didn't immediately have an answer for the young girl.

It wasn't time to reveal the truth to her yet, about the nature of his family and their knowledge of Allomancy. But he needed a convincing lie. All the other lies that he had told other children off the street didn't seem like they would be sufficient for this girl. And for all I know she's a Mistborn.

Jonesi knew that he had stopped too long and started walking again at the same pace as before. He added reluctance and regret to his voice as he told her a story, and like the best stories it had elements of the truth in it, "Allomancy is a terrifying power little one. The disaster and destruction that a single Mistborn can create with a simple thought is a scar that my family has endured." Jonesi paused pulling memories of hardship to the forefront of his mind reliving the emotions until they displayed on his face. "We know about Allomancy because it is not in our nature to have a faceless and nameless power subjugating our lives. Because by naming our fears and our pain we can overcome that obstacle and heal."

Jonesi recalled the events of last night, trying to figure out where and when she figured out that they knew about Allomancy before realizing it was his own mistake in saying that she needed to hide. He quickly incorporated this into his story. "What I told you last night is true, I try to help others to help myself relive better times." Jonesi brought forth the anger and resentment that he had in the past, giving the emotions new life on his face, "But a greater reason is that I'd rather not see a youth go through the pain of being hunted by a Mistborn, or seeing their life get destroyed by a nobleman's game."

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 06:11 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users