The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Just finished Alloy of Law

9 replies to this topic

#1 Stormcrown

Skaa

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:08 AM

So I listen to audiobooks at work, I've recently completed;

The Kingkiller Chronicles
Farseer Trilogy (hated this one to be honest, way too depressing)
Mistborn Trilogy, and just finished Alloy of Law.

Two things bothered me.

One, He seemed to tease you with bits of information about the old characters, but never really went in depth. I was always waiting for more interaction with them. Deep thought processes about how the names and such were chosen, or something more substantial

Two, book seemed to end halfway through. When the book said "Epilogue" I was like...WTF? Epilogue? Then it went on a long time and I was decently satisfied.

Anyway, thank god he announced he is writing a sequel to it.

#2 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

House Raisaal

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

I think his distance from the old series is deliberate. He wanted these mistborn adventures to stand on their own as much as possible, and if they depended to heavily on older books, it would mean people had to read the trilogy first before reading them.

As for the ending, I completely agree. Endings like that one are the reason I prefer stand-alones and trilogies to open-ended series. The episodic stories are fun, but the endings can be quite frustrating. However, I love Brandon's writing and the world he's created on scadriel, so I enjoyed the book enough that I'm willing to forgive the limitations of the genre he is choosing to write them in.

I've never read the Farseer series, but I read the Soldier Son trilogy, also by Robin Hobb, and her style wasn't my favourite either, to be honest. I absolutely adore the kingkiller chronicle though, so I'm glad to see other people are reading it!

Posted Image

#3 Lanscaper

Steward in Training

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

Speaking of kingkiller chronicles, I just finished my re-read of it a day ago. Books 1 and 2. Now I'm looking for something else to read in my spare time.

Player Characters:

Noblemen: Winston Elariel

Skaa: Jonesi | Pipes

Work in Progress: Martin Meson - De Facto House Lord, Marcus Meson - House Heir, Jimmi - Foreman in Training, NeeSun - Kandra of a Thousand Minds, Zulo - Keeper of Forgotten Foods

#4 Tal Spektor

Skaa

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:41 AM

I am also an audioreader (I can be seen misspelling names occasionally e.g."Elland" , but will have a hard time talking to someone who says "Tek-i-el" instead of "Ti-ki-el" )

I have absolutely no problem with anything mistborn. Well, I do. Mostly things like the use of flared gold or copper compounding, but not the writing. But there were very few books I couldn't read through, and not many which I completed only to be disappointed (either in myself or the book), so I am not the perfect judge.
Is an insane A.I.

#5 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Alloy of Law is awesome and it is much loved throughout my entire family(including my little brother who cosplays Wayne now). I'm really super excited for the sequel.

My sister basically forced me to read the Farseer trilogy. While it was decent, I honestly couldn't feel much for anyone except Regal, the Fool, and Nighteyes. Robin Hobb's writing style is just to distant. Oh, and I hate Molly, but I often forget that she was ever part of it. I do intend to read the Fool trilogy(just because of the Fool, actually), but that will be after I read the Foundation books and finish rereading LotR.

KINGKILLERRRRR. Those books are awesome. Seriously. Are the audiobooks good? I listen to audiobooks to go to sleep(it helps my paranoia stop yelling at me) and sort of need a new one to add to my rotation. I've started to memorize the books I do listen to.

PCs:

Delve, Silvan Calomine, Zella Calomine, Liss

Renette Deveaux, Marceline Dumont

Isabelle Sureau, Gisela Sureau,

Adalaide Getrue, Oliver Martel,

Grandell Tekiel, Yvette Valcier,

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

Vanessa Venture, Cedric Hallieau

Cordelia Morel, Kennith Fathvell

NPCs:

Issa Calomine, Randall Scanlan

#6 Tal Spektor

Skaa

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

Mozy, you're so lucky to have an entire family who has your taste! Please do invite them to RP with us, I think it'd be great, especially since they really can help rejuvenate this site. So that it'd be a juvenile kid.

My father introduced me to both audioreading and Sanderson. He is, in fact, the only one I know to do either. Well, except me... My first audiobooks were 10 and 11 of Robin Hobb's Elderling realm (the same one as Farseer and Tawny man. I read 1-9 in written Hebrew), neglecting 12 and 13 because they were not out yet. I never took her up again. I would not recommend reading Tawny man before Liveships. Also, I must mention that Tawny follows Fitz again.

My father introduced me to Mistborn (AB, again), and I spread through all the Cosmere. Love it. The Nalthis narrator is not so good (one of the reasons I hold it with the least respect), and Elantris's narrator is pretty cool. WoT (of which I read 1-6 and half of 7, but cannot remember) has Michael Kramer and Kate Reading (pron. Redding), who also do Stormlight (love it!). Mistborn, although centering on a female figure, somehow has only Kramer as narrator, but this works so storming well!

Note: Kramer and Reading pronounce "Sadeas" differently. On the only occasion you hear Reading say it, you will be vastly confused and slightly annoyed.

No idea what Kingkiller is... Sorry. Same for foundation, unless you refer to Asimov, who has raised me, along with Potter, Ender, Rama and Dent.
Is an insane A.I.

#7 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

Oh yes, I do indeed refer to Asimov. They're some of my mother's favorite books.

And yes. My little brother(the Wayne cosplayer) really wants to join.

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

#8 Tal Spektor

Skaa

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

Well, is he joining?

I have read so much Asimov, that when, in Rama 3, I read that there are robots which kill, I just put the book down and walked away. It just feels as wrong as can be for a classic SF literature piece to have non-Asimov robotic laws. Seems unacceptable. Perhaps in films or newer literature, but Rama? No.

I am getting a WoK signed in Alethi women's script soon... Both to have in my room, and so that I can lure a friend or two into Sandersonia. Do you have any witty line suggestions?
Is an insane A.I.

#9 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

Witty lines? From the book? Maybe something from Shallon? Alcatraz has some pretty hilarious witty quotes as well, if you don't care what Sanderson book it's from.

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

#10 Tal Spektor

Skaa

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Anything witty or funny about SA. Like "hope a koloss eats you" or something, but related to the book. A quote is not preferable, because I can find those as well. I did not read anything non-cosmere, and the only ones I do remember are Elantris, WoA and all Mistborn.

All of you non-here folk are welcome to join in!
Is an insane A.I.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users