The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Barroom Temperatures

Open W2 D4 EV Zincell Jonesi Valerre

79 replies to this topic

#21 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• Relationship StatusWidowed

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

Looking at how much happier Cell seemed, now that she wasn't being advanced on, Jonesi decided that perhaps it was time to let Desaree be distracted by other company. He could always draw her back into the conversation later.

He turned and hunched back over the bar, and murmured towards Cell, "Ah, sorry...guess I should have warned you about the atmosphere of this place. It's a dockside bar and inn. Most of the crowd are dock workers and bargemen. Second floor is nightly rentals, above where your room is are the more permanent boarders." Jonesi discretely motioned towards Desaree and Valerre who seemed to be invested in their own conversation. "Desaree actually has the room across the hall from yours, she's one of my master's mistresses. She gets along with skaa just fine though."

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 07:15 PM.

#22 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

"Desaree actually has the room across the hall from yours" Zincell gulped the last of her soup forcefully when she heard that, but tried to keep calm. Desaree would probably be busy with work or somesuch to continue her advances at another time.

"Good to know" She said with a small nod. Then she turned slightly to try to get a view of the kitchen "So how much longer until I can meet 'Heft'?"
user posted image

#23 Valerre

• Rebel

House Raisaal
  • Age22

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

Valerre snorted. Who did Desaree think she was, bringing Daphne into this? For her to compare herself to Daphne was ludicrous. She was just some sort of 'kept' woman, a pet catering to the needs of some lord, even if she was a noble blood herself. Skaa or not, Daphne was a woman of substance, of class, not some mere plaything. Women like Desaree didn't know the first thing about women like Daphne.

"Who's Daphne?" slurred Valerre's companion. Luckily, Desaree only knew of his new persona, not of his history, and thus, like most, she likely assumed he was noble, and thus wouldn't be able to blow his cover.

"Just a friend this painted nobody would like to whisper sweet nothings to," Valerre smirked. "Why don't you buy us a few drinks? You said you wanted mead, right? This place has some of the best." With a quick allomantic nudge, his new friend nodded and headed towards the bar.

"Well Desaree, I see you haven't changed one bit. You wouldn't happen to be aiming to become the lustiest woman in Luthadel, now that Phyra Venture is out of the way, would you?"

#24 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

Over the general din of the crowd Jonesi heard Desaree laugh as she turned her attentions toward Valerre and another gentleman, the few words that he did hear would have been enough to make him blush. It was strong innuendo along the lines of, she had a room upstairs, and both the gentlemen were welcome to join her in it. Although she was far more explicit about what would happen in the room.

It had distracted him. He had heard Cell say something, "Sorry little one, couldn't hear you over the crowd. What did you say again?"

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#25 Valerre

• Rebel

House Raisaal
  • Age22

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:22 AM

Valerre was about to respond to Desaree's outrageous proposition when his companion arrived with drinks.

"Valerre, I think those are skaa over there. When you said we might be slumming it, I thought you meant we were heading to the unfashionable side of town. This mead had better be worth it."

Valerre gave Desaree a wink and turned to face the handsome young man whose name he had already forgotten. "We wouldn't want your father hearing about us doing anything unfashionable, now would we?" Valerre took his drink and placed his other hand possessively on his new friend's shoulder as he took a long swig. "I was going for discretion. Head to some place that's deemed unfashionable or with a bad reputation, and you'll be tomorrow's gossip. Look around, my friend. Do you see anybody here who's word is worth anything? Of course not! What do a bunch of nobodies care if we misbehave a little?"

Grinning, Valerre turned back to Desaree. "Isn't that right, Lady Desaree?"

#26 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:53 AM

"I asked when we'd meet with Heft" Zincell said, completely oblivious to Desaree's conversation.
user posted image

#27 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

"Ah, I'm actually not sure." Jonesi paused, "Normally he would have come out from the back by now." Jonesi was distracted again as Desaree approached the young nobleman that was with Valerre, whispering in his ear. She was pressed against the man, encouraging him to drink, and gesturing towards the stairs.

Jonesi tried to refocus on what he was here for. It didn't quite work, but he remembered to pay more attention to the young girl next to him. Jonesi raised his mug, "Still whatever he's up to, let's give him a toast for whatever made him decide to tap this fine keg of methlegin." Jonesi took a good swallow from his mug and could feel himself getting stronger.

#28 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

Zincell nodded nervously and raised her mug along with Jonesi's, and then took a very, very small sip. While the drink tasted great, she didn't want to get drunk and do something she'd regret. The drink loosened her slightly, made her feel stronger and sharper though at the same time she imagined any outside observer would object to her illusions.
user posted image

#29 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

Jonesi noticed that she was taking small sips. While normally he would have commended her for her restraint, he also knew that he was trying to test her. And somewhere he knew that testing her while she was drunk would tell him much more about her character than when she was sober.

So he decided to address the matter. "Cell." Jonesi made eye contact. "Tonight you should be celebrating. You have found a new place with room and board, and perhaps a job if I can manage it." Jonesi stared at her mug meaningfully, "Your mug does not reflect that you are celebrating." Jonesi added as an afterthought, "Beside Heft would take it as an offense if at least half of his brew wasn't gone by the time that he showed up."

#30 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

"I don't mean to offend... I've just... I've never had alcohol before. I don't know how much I can have before anything unsavoury happens. And I want make it last, you did say I may only get the one mug" She told him, shifting slightly on her stool.
user posted image

#31 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

"True." Jonesi admitted reflecting, "Yet at the same time, a nearly full mug is like an insult to him since you aren't drinking. Half empty means that you've enjoyed it, but look forward to savoring the other half. Least to a man like Heft." Jonesi paused and tried to collect his thoughts on the matter, but they were eluding him. So he decided to use what did come to mind. "Asides, while I might be the benefactor, Heft is the one that is going to be providing you food, keeping you hidden, and acting as the guard, you'll want to be on his good side."

#32 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

"I-uh... all right" She said, and took a medium-sized gulp of the mug, and feeling her cheeks warm and herself relax further, and enjoying the taste. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad. Maybe it would even be fun.

"Is that better?" She asked, nodding to the mug that now looked three quarters full or so.
user posted image

#33 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

Jonesi nodded in response, "Much better. Although try to get another swallow in at some point before he appears." Jonesi added.

Now that she had taken a respectful swallow Jonesi felt more comfortable for some reason. Somehow that contentedness made him more aware of the fact that there was a Rioter in the room. He thought of Valerre, and then something else. That's right, there was a Soother in the room too, how? Jonesi realized slowly what his own hire had been doing to him.

He looked around until he spotted the woman and her partner Smoker. He glared at her, and she smiled back. Jonesi mentally sighed, he knew why she wanted him to get her target to drink. It would make her job that much easier, but doing so through him...well he'd have to see how the results were at the end of the evening.

All of this had happened in a scant few seconds, he turned back toward Cell, who was looking at her mug in contemplation of taking a second swallow. Jonesi continued the conversation despite what he realized, "Guess I'll tell you some pertinent facts about Heft. He's is a bit of a brewmaster, least he'd like to think of himself as such. He lives out of the back room here, deals with the obligators and the like, and all the things I mentioned before."

"He officially leases the building from the Meson's, my masters, and runs management here. Runs a small still in his side of the basement, and is known to organize muscle for different crews. He's also tied into the fence network here in Luthadel, but you probably won't get the best value with him, but if it's a hot item he's still able to move it somehow."

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#34 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

"Okay" Zincell said, though the meaning of the words took an extra moment to sink in. "I wonder if he sets them on fire..." She said absent-mindedly, looking at her mug with the utmost fascination.
user posted image

#35 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

Jonesi looked at young Cell as if she were insane, "Heft light hot-product on fire?!"

#36 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

"What?" She asked, squinting at him. "No, um, the drinks. You said he likes to be a brewsmaster so I kind of thought of flaming drinks. You know, the alcohol is flammable, a cocktail or somesuch is set on fire, providing with entertainment, usually done at more private parties I think-- Some noble bartenders in respectable places tend to put on a show abusing the flammability of alcohol and I... thought... of that..." She trailed off, unsure of why it had leapt to mind. "For some reason"
user posted image

#37 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

"Ah," Jonesi finally understood what she was talking about. "I wouldn't mention lighting Heft's brews on fire. He'd probably be offended if people used his 'works of art' as the basis for flammable entertainment."

Jonesi shrugged. "By the way Cell, what do you think of Luthadel so far?"

#38 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

"It's confusing" She said automatically. "On the one hand I have met super interesting people and learned a lot already-- on the other hand, there seems to be little middle ground. I have met noblemen in the street who are ridiculously polite to me-- and then, soon after, I'm being chased by a harbinger of death who was likely clearing out witnesses or something. And then I meet you and your family who are also amazing-- and this nobleman at the docks today who approached me for no reason and gave me coins for a test to see if I could steal something"

A lot of the meekness from earlier in the evening had disappeared. "It's-- I simply don't understand. I've been all throughout the northern parts of the empire-- avoiding big cities, of course-- and so far as I've learned, noblemen are not so polite to random skaa they meet in the street. I've been wondering if the increased amount of ash may have something to do with it. I saw the executions, it's not as though noblemen spontaneously value skaa lives as much as their own... so I remain puzzled! Perhaps I've just had the strangest of luck"

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 12 October 2012 - 08:44 AM.

user posted image

#39 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

Jonesi had been listening to her talk about her experience in Luthadel so far. She had seen the executions, which brought up a bitter memory for Jonesi, and that seemed to be the beginning of her narrative. And her experiences with noblemen so far had been, well odd might describe it in a fashion but without more context he was unable to make further conclusions. So instead he decided to share a kernel of advice with her.

"Cell, I think you are over thinking it. From what you described so far I can't be sure about the details, but I can tell you this much. Everyone that you encounter typically wants something from you. Take my masters for example. They act nicely to us because they view us as assets. We are highly-trained and skilled workmen, and if they were forced to work with other less skilled skaa they would likely not have the profit margins they have today. They want us working hard and earnestly, and by treating us better than our fellows we are kept somewhat in check. Might be a bit simplistic, but many times simple is best."

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 07:19 PM.

#40 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

"I know" She said simply "And they likely did-- but I've received orders before, Jonesi, and the way they talked-- it wasn't as though they wanted me to fetch them something or run an errand, it was as though they saw me as an equal-- which is massively odd"

Zincell didn't know what to think about the lord that had bowed to her. It had been a strange experience. Now loosened and relaxed, Zincell's accent was an odd mixture of whatever came into her mind-- though it mostly just sounded neutral.

"And of course, there was that fire..." She trailed off, remembering the burning hotel. "I've got to say, it's been eventful"
user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users