The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Barroom Temperatures

Open W2 D4 EV Zincell Jonesi Valerre

79 replies to this topic

#41 Valerre

• Rebel

House Raisaal
  • Age22

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:35 PM

"Careful Desaree, you wouldn't want your master getting jealous," responded Valerre, trying to hide his jealousy as his companion responded to the woman's overt displays of flirtation.

Startled by Valerre's words, the nobleman turned towards him, away from Desaree's advancing bosom. "Master? Valerre, I hope you don't have me talking to some dirty skaa. If I wanted to associate with whores, I'd pay for them."

Valerre smiled as he regained some control of the situation. He'd stopped rioting when his jealousy cropped up, not wanting to enflame the situation, but now he gave his friend a brief pull, just a sub-conscious reminder of his intentions. "Careful, you wouldn't want to offend Lady Desaree. Don't worry your pretty little head, my dear fellow. Desaree is one of us. At least she was. Last I checked she was living in some Lord's pocket."

This is less fun than I thought it would be... Before Desaree, could retort, Valerre took a swig and turned on his heel. "Another time Desaree. Can't you see we're trying to half an adventure? Go erupt on someone else's ashmount." A gentle tug on his friend's sleeve and his emotions had him following behind, with only one longing look back at Desaree.

"Valerre, did you hear what she said she would do?"

"Don't trust the promises of women, my friend. What starts with 'I will...' often ends with 'I do,' if you catch my drift." Valerre shook his head, and took another drink of the mead. He wasn't sure what it was, but something was different about it, that set it apart from the drivel served at other taprooms in the area. Perhaps there was something in the water...

His friend had stopped moving.

"What now?" asked Valerre, raising an eyebrow. "Is someone tired, and ready to go home?"

"I'm not tired. I'm bored. You promised me an adventure, Lord Valerre, and all I see is a boring old shack filled with dirty skaa and penniless whores."

Valerre paused, considering how to proceed. The liquor was clouding his mind somewhat, making him slower than usual. This stuff really is strong. Perhaps he should have prolonged their encounter with Desaree. The woman was annoying, but at least she was interesting. Too interesting perhaps. Valerre didn't want to lose his soon-to-be latest conquest to the likes of her.

"Alas" he said, putting on an expression of mock sorrow. "Boredom. Greatest of all evils. How ever can two intelligent and handsome young gentleman be free from your terrible grasp?"

"Knock it off, Valerre. Let's get out of this place. I want to go dancing somewhere."

"But what of our mead, that we came so far to obtain?" asked Valerre, gesturing to his glass. "We wouldn't want to waste it, now would we?" gently, Valerre continued to tug at the edges of the nobleman's mind, hoping to renew his excitement in the night's endeavours

The nobleman frowned at Valerre and then at his glass, and then sighed. "Very well. But if this is all the excitement to be had, don't expect me to accompany you on one of these ridiculous ventures again. You promised me adventure Valerre, and don't you forget it."

"Well," said Valerre smugly, "Since we are trapped in this hovel until we've consumed as much of this detestable beverage as we can stomach, I suppose we must find some sort of entertainment." Scanning the room, Valerre's eyes fell upon the young girl who Desaree had been accosting only a moment before. She was pretty, but didn't have the presence of Desaree, making her less of a threat. If anything, her timidity would make her more likely to startle than to flirt. Which, in Valerre's mind made her perfect. He wasn't sure how much fun he could get out of her, but surely she could provide at least half a glass's worth of entertainment. Perhaps, with her doting grandfather in the mix as well, Valerre and his friend could polish of their drinks and order another.

"Tell me," asked Valerre softly, adopting a conspiratorial tone, "Have you ever interviewed a skaa virgin and her grandfather before?"

"Don't be absurd Valerre. I told you, I didn't follow you here to talk to some mangy skaa."

"I've heard skaa virgins have the power to tell the future. They lose it when they are bred, of course. That's why the Lord Ruler is so harsh on skaa brothels, he doesn't want us nobles poking around with skaa prophecy."

"That's the absolute most ridiculous thing I have ever heard."

"Which is precisely why I am now convinced it must be true. We'll have to be quick though. I'm sure her elderly friend their is just waiting for a good romp. And then, her power of prophecy will be sadly lost to us."

"I thought you said he was her grandfather."

"So what if he is, does that change anything? Skaa are like animals, you know. Brutal, primitive things. What would familial relations mean to such savages? Though the philosophers do say that savages have the best prophets."

"Enough, Valerre. I tire of your games."

"Such a same. I was hoping to make it a bet."

The nobles eyes glinted in the lamp-light. "A wager? Valerre, don't be silly. You're sure to lose. I've no need of your boxings."

"If you are sure certain that girl is not a prophetess, than why not put your money where your mouth is. It should be easy enough to find out. We may have to distract her grandfather though. Good skaa virgins never prophecy in front of their elders. It's disrespectful, after all."

The nobleman shook his head, but a grin was tugging at the corners of his lips. Valerre gave him another allomantic tug, knowing that he had him.

"Very well. But don't think you can get out of this just because there is no obligator present. Several boxings should do nicely, I suppose?"

"That sound delightful," said Valerre, taking another swig. "Now come on, no time to waste. We want to get out of this stinking hovel as quickly as possible, remember?"

Valerre guided his friend over to where the skaa girl and old man were sitting, and plopped himself down beside them.

"Now then, excuse me grandfather, I must have a word with your charge here. No, please don't protest, I promise I mean her no harm. I'm just here for information purposes only, so don't trouble your white-crested head with a moment of worry. In fact, don't trouble yourself with this exchange at all. You may even cover your ears if you so choose. Trust me, I shan't blame you in the least. I'm dreadfully boring to talk to after all. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you were already nodding off. If you are, so be it. I'm sure your nap will be well deserved."

Before anyone could get a word in, Valerre turned back to the girl. "So miss, my friend and I have a bit of a wager. You wouldn't happen to have the gift of prophecy, would you?"

#42 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:36 AM

The question, asked by the very nobleman who had taken Desaree away, took Zincell by surprise. Then she didn't know what to do. This was another strange nobleman-- again being far friendlier than she'd expect-- and his question was unexpected and ridiculous and strange. Prophecy? By the forgotten gods what went on in the minds of nobles in this city?

"I'm afraid not, milord" she told him. "Very sorry to disappoint."

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 13 October 2012 - 03:24 AM.

user posted image

#43 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• Relationship StatusWidowed

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:45 AM

Jonesi was irritated, and growing more irritated. The reason for his irritation was that Valerre was butting in on the conversation, and now he couldn't remember what he'd been about to say. Another reason why he was irritated was that there was a Rioter that might be playing with his emotions. And ultimately he was irritated because he couldn't tell if the irritation was Allomantically induced or just himself.

And when Valerre asked his idiotic question. Jonesi was simply so irritated that he was silent. Not the good kind of silent. This was like the silence before the storm, the silence as you dropped a clip into a deep well, the silence that precluded action.

Just before Jonesi could erupt Cell's calm answer hit his ears and he lost all of that mounting pressure. Cold rationality swept through his mind, like an ice cold water, and he could think. He glanced at his Soother's table and gave her an appreciative nod, and the stark rationality lost some of its edge.

With his mind somewhat his own he decided that he's sit and wait, and see how the conversation progressed.

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 07:21 PM.

#44 Valerre

• Rebel

House Raisaal
  • Age22

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

Valerre's friend snorted. "All right Valerre, you've had your fun. Now pay up."

Valerre turned and shushed his companion. "Please," he whispered, "You've proven nothing." Turning back to the girl, Valerre adopted his most charismatic smile. He had to prolong this a little longer if he wanted to finish his drink.

"Might there be a chance you have a latent gift you are unaware of? I mean, I'm sure visions of the future could easily be mistaken for dreams or vivid memories. Have you experienced anything like that? Or perhaps heard strange other-worldly voices in the night and dismissed them as hallucinations? If you have, you can tell us. Don't worry about your grandfather either. I'm sure he won't mind."

#45 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

"Well," Zincell said cordially. She was more relaxed now talking to the nobleman than she would've been if she were sober, and she was slightly irritated that this nobleman had appeared out of nowhere to ask her such a ridiculous thing.

"I've got this very vivid memory of just seconds ago. I believe I saw this odd nobleman approach me and ask if I've got prophetic abilities. Something so preposterous may have been a vision."Zincell didn't drop the formality. For anyone looking at her tone and mannerisms alone it would have been impossible to tell she was being less than polite.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 14 October 2012 - 07:52 AM.

user posted image

#46 Valerre

• Rebel

House Raisaal
  • Age22

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:02 AM

Valerre guffawed and turned to his friend. "See!" he said, "Isn't she an amusing creature? Prophetesses always have the best senses of humor, I knew I was right about this one!" Still grinning, Valerre turned back to the girl before his friend could object.

"I suppose you wouldn't object to a test of your abilities, would you? My friend here would be happy to pay for a reading of my fortune."

The nobleman grumbled in response, something about a 'waste of time', 'boring skaa' and being 'ridiculous' that Valerre did not find to be the least bit important. He continued to stare into the eyes of his 'prophetess' wondering what clever retort she would come up with next. Nobles often under estimated the potential of a skaa's sense of humor, thinking them dull creatures. Part of him wished he could prove them wrong himself without blowing his cover, but that part was small, and often overpowered by the his more major concern with using paltry amusements to forget his sorrows.

Still waiting for a response, Valerre took another drink.

#47 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:57 AM

Zincell chuckled. What was this man's game?

"If you wish, milord" She told him with a small, respectful bow.
user posted image

#48 Valerre

• Rebel

House Raisaal
  • Age22

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

Valerre beamed. "See," he said over his shoulder, "The prophetess his willing to aid us after all."

"Don't be stupid Valerre, the wretch is scamming you for you coins."

Valerre gulped down another swallow of mead. He could feel his head growing fuzzier with every sip, and yet he also seemed to be growing more alive, rather than the usual dullness that came with too much drink.

He paused, then gave his friend's emotions a quick tug before responding. "Lighten up, will you. I thought you wanted to have a little fun. Take another drink, maybe it will loosen you up a little."

The nobleman grumbled but did as he was asked. Valerre was almost done his drink, but his friend, who had probably been more in his cups to begin with, was taking his time. His attention is fading, we can't stay here too much longer, Valerre realized. He'd have to be more diligent about making sure they both kept on drinking.

Currently, he was more interested in what his little prophetess had to say, so he brought his focus back to her.

"Well little miss, what do you see?"

#49 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

Zincell looked at the nobleman. Valerre was his name? Trying to keep to the vaguest and most likely to be accurate "predictions" possible. He knew Desaree, and was apparently looking for a good time. In fact, he looked like he was already enjoying himself. Odds were he would have little problem getting dates.

"I, um..." She said, squinting "I see... Pleasure. A great deal of pleasure, actually. And..." She paused, looking at the two to see if she could figure out something else. "Clothing... on a floor. Um... "

Feigning prophetic powers was harder than she thought it would be now that she was somewhat inebriated.

"And shadows by a candle light" She finally said.
user posted image

#50 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

Jonesi had been tuning in and out of the conversation that Cell and Valerre had been having about prophecy. Rather now that he wasn't engaged in a conversation his eyes had found Desaree again.

She was systematically riling up the men in the bar as she passed and flirted. And whenever one fellow looked like he wanted to try his luck in her bed, his fellows with slightly cooler heads talked him out of it. To Desaree it seemed to be a game, she was having fun evoking reactions even out of the married and seemed to derive pleasure from the experience.

Desaree had arrived at the table of the Soother that Jonesi had employed. And while he couldn't tell what either of the women were saying, he could tell by the expression of the Soother's male companion that hormones were flaring at rather intense levels. And then Desaree leaned in, and all traces of Soothing on him stopped.

Next to him Jonesi faintly heard Cell say, "I see...Pleasure." Over the general noise of the bar Jonesi could hear an audible sensual moan from Desaree's direction. "A great deal of pleasure, actually." Jonesi could feel his body reacting to what he was seeing, and could sense as nearly every male pair of eyes focused on the origin point of the sound.

Faintly Jonesi heard Cell say something again, "Clothing... on a floor." Jonesi saw several jackets fall to the floor as men shifted in their seats, dislodging the weathered garments from the back of their chairs.

Cell mentioned something about, "And shadows by a candle light.".

Desaree finished and leaned back a bit, and the show was over. She smiled at the woman on whose lap she was now seated on, whispered something to the Soother. She rose with supple grace and sensually walked towards the far end of the bar. And as she passed each table her shadow flickered left and right in response to the overhead lighting. She reached the bar and eyed Valerre's companion with a lustful look and sauntered away where she took a seat on the far end and ordered a methlegin.

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 07:22 PM.

#51 Valerre

• Rebel

House Raisaal
  • Age22

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

Valerre smiled during the girl's 'prophecy,' enjoying her intuition while ignoring Desaree's little spectacle. He was, however pleased to not that his companion only spared the woman a few gazes before rolling his eyes and returning to Valerre's current situation. Just for good measure, Valerre focused on his own jealousy, small though it was, and tugged gently on his companion's emotions.

"Careful Valerre, I think the little harlot is coming on to you," the man said jokingly before becoming more serious. "Can we leave now? I am tired of this place."

Valerre took another sip and tried to piece everything that was going on together. His drink was almost done. That meant he could leave. Giving the girl a smile and a wink, Valerre stumbled to his feet, and downed the rest of his glass, resting his hand on the table to steady himself as the alcohol hit him. Turning to his companion, with his head spinning, he let out an accidental flare of rioting, but quickly stopped himself when he realized he was rioting the entire room instead of just his friend. Hopefully everyone in the room was too drunk or distracted by Desaree's antics to notice.

"I suppose, since I'm done my drink, I'm ready for a little more adventure," said Valerre, completely forgetting about the little prophetess and the deal he had made with her. "But it seems you haven't finished yours. What's the matter, is nasty skaa liquor too volatile for your delicate sensibilities?"

The nobleman smirked, and then, with the bravado that one can only achieve when drunk, he gripped the table, tipped his head back, and chugged what remained in his cup, spilling a fair amount down his shirt as he did so. "There," he spluttered as he finished. "Can we go now? I'm sick of this place. Next time we go on an adventure, I should like to choose the venue."

#52 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

Suddenly her emotions went wild and she was disoriented for a moment. Was that normal for alcohol?

"Hey, what of the... coins..." Zincell said after she had shaken her head clear, then sighed. She had been too slow and the nobleman had already left without giving her pay for her "prophecy".

She turned to Jonesi "Do you see the oddities that happen to me?" She asked him. "That's likely one of the least weird things to happen to me since my arrival"

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 20 October 2012 - 12:19 AM.

user posted image

#53 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

Jonesi felt the sudden flare of his emotions, and they were eschewed in several different emotional directions. It had the effect of a cold bucket of water, and Jonesi looked toward the Soother.

She was still flush and rather artfully rumpled from Desaree's advances, but she made eye contact with Jonesi and shook her head, indicating that it wasn't her.

It only stood to reason that it was Valerre, and he appeared to have left the bar, leaving Cell disappointed for her trouble.

"That' not terribly odd happening little one," Jonesi found himself saying, "noblemen play games with us daily. Sometimes it's little things like that, other times we all wake up the next day and try to forget what we saw." Jonesi shrugged.

In the background Desaree was downing a mug of methlegin, bringing a healthy blush to her cheeks in the process. Something crossed over her face and after a pause she stood and lithely vaulted herself over the bar to the other side, calling "Heft you lovely man, come out here and share a drink with your favorite boarder!"

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 07:22 PM.

#54 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:16 AM

"That's a common occurrence?" Zincell asked. "My experience with nobles outside of Luthadel was completely different" she muttered.

Then she saw Desaree vaulting herself over the bar and calling for Heft and raised an eyebrow. "I'm starting to think this entire city is insane"

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 20 October 2012 - 12:21 AM.

user posted image

#55 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

"Well I can't claim to know what things are like in the other Dominances. But here in Luthadel things like this happen around twice a week, least in these parts. Over in the Silver Quarter things are different, but not by much."

Jonesi turned as he felt a draft as the door opened and everyone went silent. As the man stepped past the threshold of the door and into the light his tattoos revealed him for what he was. Cantor...what is he doing here? Jonesi exclaimed on the inside. As people recognized the infamous obligator they hushed and were all suddenly very interested in their own cups. Even Desaree in her current state of mind seemed to straighten her posture and buttoned her shirt up discretely as Cantor surveyed the rest of the room.

Jonesi hurriedly turned to Cell, "Finish your mug now." He told her sternly, "and don't say anything to him unless he addresses you. If we're lucky..." Jonesi shutup as Cantor approached.

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#56 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:37 AM

Zincell paled and froze, staring at her mug. An obligator. There was an obligator in the bar now. She didn't hear Jonesi's words and just stared at her mug as her mind went blank and she grew paler and paler by the second. A diminutive obligator-- but an obligator all the same, and his height did not in any way tame the fear Zincell was feeling now.

Hands trembling slightly, she managed to grab the mug after a second or two when Jonesi's words finally registered with her, and lift it to her lips. By the forgotten gods, how had she landed in this situation?

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 20 October 2012 - 12:37 AM.

user posted image

#57 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:46 AM

Cantor was a couple steps away and Cell was still finishing her mug. But rather than approach them he instead approached Desaree.

"Where are the ledgers Lady Desaree?" Cantor asked in his usual direct fashion. Desaree hurried into the backroom calling after Heft.

Cantor simply stood and continued to eye everyone. His eye's settled on Cell and Jonesi mentally swore praying that she was near finished with her drink. He approached and asked her, "Skaa, what are you drinking? If it is alcohol I fear I will need to detain you." Jonesi prayed that the girl wouldn't answer truthfully, fearing for her. Cantor wouldn't be able to tell if it was alcoholic because of the herbs that Heft added to his drinks, and as long as the cup itself didn't have any traces of the beverage Cantor couldn't prove otherwise. But any level of doubt would be enough for him to drag her away.

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 07:26 PM.

#58 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:53 AM

Zincell began to hurry further with her drink. Once she'd finished swallowing she turned to the obligator slowly and tried to talk. Her mouth felt completely dry suddenly and the alcohol had disoriented. Zincell's mouth moved but no words came out for a moment. Then she made a small noise of clearing her throat.

"Cold tea, milord" She said weakly, looking at the ground, still pale despite the huge amounts of alcohol she'd just consumed.
user posted image

#59 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:02 AM

Cantors eyes narrowed creating a horrible effect with his tattoos where it seemed like he had no eyes. He grabbed Cell by the hair and hauled her outside and Jonesi prayed for the young girl.

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 07:28 PM.

#60 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

Cantor made her stand by him, the cold mist passing by her. Then he got hold of a switch. Zincell was pleasantly surprised when he didn't ask her to take off her shirt, but instead just hit her back, tearing through the shirt in the process. She was well over a head taller than him, but it didn't really matter.

Zincell twitched slightly with every hit, filling her tinmind for touch a bit to lessen the pain. She could hear sentence fragments between the loud noise of her back being hit by his switch. Things that she thought were "Don't lie to me, you skaa wench!" or statements about the evils of alcohol. She didn't whine or whimper, she just twitched and tensed every time the wood connected with her skin. On the fourth time her knees gave out. Then four more hits came.

Finally, he put the wooden object down "By the Lord Ruler's grace, I set you free as a lesson to all others" he told her, and he went back inside the bar while she stayed on her hands and knees in silence.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 20 October 2012 - 05:19 PM.

user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users