The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Barroom Temperatures

Open W2 D4 EV Zincell Jonesi Valerre

79 replies to this topic

#61 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• Relationship StatusWidowed

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:38 AM

Jonesi silently moved across the bar as soon as Cantor left and waited for the man to return as he inevitably would. Hopefully Heft had his ledgers ready for the man and the rest of the methlegin stash hidden safely away or perhaps disguised in plain sight for other things.

When Cantor re-entered the building Jonesi respectfully waited for the man to pass by and then hurried out into the night to find Cell. He found her kneeling on the ground her shirt in tatters. But thankfully it seemed like there wasn't blood.

Further up the street Cantor's Cart stood attended to by two other obligators and a mangy horse, looking somewhat bored, and gracefully not looking in the beaten girls direction.

Jonesi leaned down and gently spoke to Cell, "Okay little one it's over, put an arm over my shoulder, there we go, ok, and up." Jonesi slowly stood up taking a good portion of her weight. "Now we're going to go to the back and wait for Heft to signal the all clear." as they slowly made their way around the building.

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 07:28 PM.

#62 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:54 AM

Zincell was a bit disoriented as Jonesi took hold of her arm and then helped her up. They walked for a bit around the building and she shook her head a bit, which confused her further at first, but then helped her clear her head. After a few deep breaths she began to walk straighter up, though she was still trembling slightly out of fear.

She hadn't really felt much of the pain thanks to filling her tinmind, and her being taller than Jonesi meant that once she was walking straighter she wasn't putting much of her weight on him. He mostly helped to stabilize her, the alcohol and the birching had made her a bit wobbly. Zincell started lowering the rate at which she filled tin slowly until she wasn't filling any tin at all. Her back stung.

Once they were in the back of the building she leaned on a wall slightly, using her shoulder to press against it and took more deep breaths. The pain was the least of her concerns right now. Thankfully, it looked like the worse was done, and he would leave without realizing she was a Terrisgirl.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 20 October 2012 - 04:22 AM.

user posted image

#63 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:10 AM

Jonesi stood outside waiting. He had not planned on this. But then again no one could plan on Cantor. Still he had some semi relevant information about how she communicated with obligators. And due to their current position he could feel that she was wearing metal bracers, and that triggered a memory somewhere in his mind. And then it was gone, he couldn't quite recall what it was, but it had to do with...Jonesi did the mental equivalent of a frown and discarded it blaming his old age.

The back door opened and Jonesi made his way inside towards where he knew that Heft would have a cot setup. He gently helped Cell lay down on her stomach, "I'll be right back little one, just going to go grab some stuff."

He could hear Cantor talking with Heft in the front about quantities of alcohol. To the side he saw Desaree descending the stairs with what appeared to be a new silk shirt, bandages, and scissors. Jonesi found some clean rags and filled a bowl with cool water and waved Desaree off as she offered to help the girl. He did collect the items Desaree brought and brought up a chair next to the cot that Cell lay on.

He set about cleaning her up best he could, but the accursed ragged shirt was in shreds. "Okay little one," Jonesi said gently, "I'm going to cut this shirt off you, there is another shirt here that you can put on, but I need you to not move as I cut." He somewhat deftly picked up the scissors and moved to cut her shirt.

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 07:29 PM.

#64 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

Zincell took a deep breath and began to fill steel at high rates to move as little as possible while Jonesi cut. She could still hear the obligator's voice, ever so slightly, and it kept her from relaxing much. Now Jonesi had grabbed her-- he probably knew she was wearing metalminds. Even if he didn't know what metalminds were, it'd lead to questions. Zincell stayed perfectly still, aided by steel, and tried to think of what would happen next.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 20 October 2012 - 02:19 AM.

user posted image

#65 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

Jonesi somehow managed to cut her shirt off despite the alcohol in his system. And revealed the eight angry welts that ran most of the length of her back. He also noticed the metal bracers on her upper arms were made of copper and zinc, but he still couldn't remember why that sounded familiar.

He took the clean rags and dampened them in the cool water in the bowl, ringing them out a bit before gently applying them to her back. "You're a little lucky little one." Jonesi said absentmindedly as he stroked her short hair, "He didn't break your skin so you don't need stitches." Jonesi paused, "But still doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt. Heft inevitably has something around here for pain, but bear with it a bit longer."

#66 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:29 AM

Zincell stopped filling steel. "It's no problem" she said, still trying to think of what to do and how to do it and what should happen now. He'd seen he upper metalminds-- the bandages were relatively loose there because she'd thought her sleeves had been good enough. And now he'd seen them.

Zincell went back to filling steel, still trying to come up with something and failing. After a short while, she stopped, looked around for a moment and sighed.

"Zincell" She said-- it was the only thing she could think to say that wouldn't lead to more and more elaborate lies that she would eventually fail at keeping. "My full name"

Someone as well-informed as Jonesi would probably recognize the name as Terris in a heartbeat, even while drunk.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 20 October 2012 - 02:40 AM.

user posted image

#67 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:15 AM

"Ah." Jonesi said softly as everything settled into his mind. She was a Terriswoman, and if the extent of her bracers were anything to judge by, and her unusual fall the other night, she was also a Feruchemist. "Don't worry about that right now little one. I understand some of your problems I think. Let's hide your arms a bit more, here arm up." Jonesi moved and wrapped another layer of bandages around her upper arm to disguise the incriminating metal. "Okay the other one now." Jonesi moved her other arm.

The result looked a little odd. The dirtied bandages of the lower arms didn't match the fresh ones on her upper arms. That and her bare back set a counter point to everything. "Cell, I think I need to bandage your entire torso, and redo your arm bandages. It'll look..." Jonesi tried reaching for the words but they didn't come, "...anyways, I need you to sit up"

#68 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:28 AM

Zincell was in the process of sitting up before she frowned and looked at him in confusion.

"Can't you just hand me the shir--" She looked at the garment she'd thought was a shirt when she'd seen it out of the corner of her eye. It was basically lingerie. Why had he had to cut her shirt? It wasn't as though she couldn't have taken it off. It would have hurt, but it wouldn't have been that big a problem. Zincell sighed and finished sitting up. Now she was facing him, and she realized after a moment that the front of her shirt wasn't in front of her.

Zincell's forearms covered her breasts uncomfortably as she waited for him to continue the bandages.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 20 October 2012 - 03:34 AM.

user posted image

#69 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:02 AM

Jonesi ignored Cell's attempts at modesty. He'd seen it all before, hell he'd seen Desaree and the rest of Mannair Meson's little harem in their full glory. So he set to the task at hand and gently finished bandaging her.

Afterwards he noticed the shirt that Desaree left and it's rather...Desaree nature. He offered her the shirt and between the bandages and the shirt everything was covered.

"Okay, I think that covers everything." Jonesi murmured quietly.

Cantor had upended his plans to test Cell, well Zincell now although he still planned to call her Cell. He felt that it was perhaps best to have Heft meet Cell in her rooms. He could figure out how she was in a fight another time

"Let's make our way upstairs, I'll have Heft meet us in the room later."

#70 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:11 AM

"Okay" Zincell said. She stood up and began walking, closing in on herself and feeling massively self-conscious. Zincell was still a little tense over the events of the night and moving with some soreness in her back. She didn't talk on the way to her room, and once they were there she sat on her bed, tired.
user posted image

#71 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:40 AM

Not long after Cell had settled in Heft made his way upstairs with one of his 'cure-alls'. In Jonesi's experience most of them worked, although he knew that they were somewhat addictive as quite a few of them left a man feeling alive.

Heft entered the room, he was wearing a cheap but well tailored suit which accentuated his rather tall and muscular frame. He looked like many of the dockside toughs, square jaw, large forehead, with a crew cut. But the suit set him aside from the regular toughs and Jonesi knew he was a smart man. Heft was a skaa that had the opportunity to become a nobleman and could carry the act convincingly, and so as far as the majority of the world knew Heft was a lower nobility man that leased and managed a building for the Meson's.

"Cell, this is Heft. Heft, this is your new boarder." Jonesi said as in introduction. Heft inclined his head in acknowledgement before murmuring an apology about not stepping in sooner and perhaps stopping Cantor.

Heft grabbed the other chair in the room to sit on, setting himself next to Jonesi. "Here child," Heft intoned, "to ease the pain and speed the healing." he handed her the translucent amber glass that contained Lord Ruler knows what in it.

Jonesi smiled and encouraged her to drink it, thinking of his own experiences with a Heft's Cure All.

#72 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:47 AM

"Nice to meet you, Heft" She said with a respectful nod that disoriented her somewhat. Was this what it was like to drink alcohol? Why would someone enjoy feeling like the world was slowly but surely spinning around them? She felt dizzy and confused and tired. Oh, so tired. "Thank you for your hospitality."

"Umm, is the obligator gone?" Zincell asked before she grabbed the glass hesitantly and swallowed a mouthful of its contents.

The liquid tasted sweet, and had hints of ginger and cinnamon and ginseng. Once she'd swallowed the solution, her face lit up just like it had on the first sip she'd had of the methlegin. All the tired pain evaporated and she felt fully alive.

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 20 October 2012 - 05:03 AM.

user posted image

#73 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

Heft nodded, "Yeah, he's gone, he'll probably be by in a month or so for another of his spot checks. He took three caskets of my spiced wine saying that I didn't properly account for customer consumption." Heft rambled slightly before perking up, "Oh Jonesi, tell Yoosuk that that insane contraption of his worked, he's free to come by the bar and pick up his winnings from the bet we had." Heft added with equal mix of sadness and happiness.

"So Cell," Heft began again, "Jonesi here has taken care of your breakfast and dinner accommodations here through the end of the month. Breakfast is at sunrise and first come first served. Dinner is whatever is in the kettle, again first come first served."

"Ground rules for the room." Heft started reciting from memory, "Guests are allowed, but are not to be shown any of the contraptions, nor your private space below. When you're up and able, I'll show you how to lock and unlock the door." Heft continued on, "No pets allowed, even if only for a visit. And please try to keep the sheets in decent condition." Heft pleaded before continuing his recitation, "Washerwoman comes by in the mornings, have your bed stripped by mid morning to have the sheets washed, and a replacement set will be found at your door at dawn. Keep the floors clean, try not to scratch the wood and if you do break one of the contraptions let me or Jonesi know and we'll figure out how to fix it. That's it I think." Heft finished.

After a bit more thought, and given what she had to drink this evening Heft amended, "I'll run through everything with you in the morning, feel free to come down whenever, I'll try to set something aside for you."

Jonesi continued, "I'll have Mel run over here in the morning with some clothes that might suit you better, and maybe a set of leathers if I can find a pair." Jonesi calmly added, "If you're up for it I might have a job for you as well." Heft raised an eyebrow at this, but kept silent.

"Any questions yet? Or anything that you might need tailored to you?" Heft asked.

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 07:30 PM.

#74 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

When heft assured her that the obligator was gone, an enormous grin of relief appeared on her face. She'd survived an encounter with an obligator with only a few red spots in her back to show for it. It was great- everything was great. Of course, she was in a substantially better mood thanks to Heft's glass of who-knows-what, but still. She leaned back slightly and a bit of stinging pain-- far less than it would have been without Heft's concoction-- made her stop.

Then the grin became larger and Zincell had slight troubles containing her laughter. Listening to Heft's rules, they all sounded pretty reasonable and she nodded every time he stated another rule.

"Um... I don't think so, no" Zincell said after a moment, shaking her head slightly. The rules seemed straight-forward, and she hoped she'd remember it all by the time she woke up.
user posted image

#75 Valerre

• Rebel

House Raisaal
  • Age22

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:05 PM

Valerre and his friends stumbled out of the small pub just as the obligator was pulling up in his cart. Fearful that his rioting had drawn the attention of a ministry seeker, Valerre cursed and pulled the young nobleman with him into a darkened alleyway.

"Valerre, what..."

"Shhhhhh!" Valerre underscored the shush with an emphatic look and peeked around the corner to see what was going on. He would have liked to use his allomancy to ensure they weren't found, but with an obligator around and no smoker, he didn't dare to risk it.

After what seemed like an eternity, the obligator went in side.

"Valerre, what's all this about?" whispered his friend. Both of them were breathing heavily, both from the drink, and from the adrenaline of suddenly rushing into an alley.

"Obligators," said Valerre vaguely. "I don't know about you, but I'd rather not have the ministry poking around in our business tonight." Valerre fell silent as the door to the pub opened again, and the obligator returned, dragging the skaa girl with him. Valerre and his friends stayed silently through her beating until she was dragged back in.

"Likely she gave him a bad prophecy," scoffed his friend, with a muffled laugh.

"Right," said Valerre, suddenly feeling some of the warmth go out of him. "Let's get out of here. You were right. This place is far too dull for the likes of us."

#76 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

"Good, Good." Heft nodded smiling. "That covers all the business stuff for me." He gave Jonesi a glance and some of the earlier tension from their meeting earlier today returned.

What in the Lord Ruler's name has him on edge? Jonesi wondered idly. But the methlegin was starting to effect his clarity of mind. A thought popped into his head and before he could think about it he was already verbalizing it. "Heft treat the boys downstairs to a round, they get the night off." Jonesi paused and amended, "Although I think I might need to be dragged back to the workshop, I'm getting old."

Heft nodded and relaxed, he knew what Jonesi meant by the boys. "I guess this last batch is much stronger than I thought."

"No kidding. I still don't know how you do it. Getting the alcohol to not smell or taste like alcohol, I know it's something to do with those herbs you add, but ol' Sculler tried and it ended up tasting like brackish muck."

Heft simply smiled in response. "You know I'm not telling you old man. And we digress." Heft motioned towards the girl, "So Cell, how did you like my brew?"

Edited by Lanscaper, 13 February 2014 - 07:31 PM.

#77 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

"Uh...it-- It was great" Zincell said, squinting at the ground for a moment as her brain felt like it was shutting down-- she was suddenly very sleepy. Zincell let out a long breath as the floor seemed to spontaneously become far more interesting tha it had been before.

Then she frowned, blinked hard, shook her head fast, and then went on to blink a few more times."Really great" She told heft again, nodding vigorously.
user posted image

#78 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Jonesi watched as the girl obviously became drowsy, the effects of the second cure-all concoction in all likelihood. Perhaps it was time to wrap this up. He could feel the effects of the alcohol influencing his system.

Something occurred to Jonesi. Heft knew that I was going to be conducting an interview, why would he serve such strong alcohol? It makes sense to serve a strong drink to the girl, but why to me as well? "Hey Heft," Jonesi began, "What was the occasion for this particular brew anyways? I haven't seen you open any of your four year old casks yet."

Heft paused and blurted out, "You're going to be a great-grandfather, little Alia is pregnant."

Pride and happiness ambushed Jonesi, yet another one of his grandchildren had borne a child. He was likely one of a handful of skaa in Luthadel that got to see grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Little Alia was his youngest grandchild, she ... was not married. No if he recalled Alia served as a housemaid here from time to time. The facts and the rumors that filled his head percolated through the alcoholic buzz that filled his head. The information was not settling well. Pride turned to rage and happiness to a rather unruly mix of emotions. "Who is the father?"

Heft paled, he backed up, "We think it was me."

#79 Zincell

Skaa

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Posted Today, 02:18 PM
Zincell gasped happily and a grin filled her face. "Congratulations!" She told heft as she leaned on her case for a moment before sliding it down out of the bed. She stared at the floor for a moment before shaking her head again and looking up at Jonesi and Heft.

"That's wonderful!" She said "So... so..." Zincell's body started to tilt to the side before she finished falling on her arm and shoulder drowsily.

"So great..." she mumbled as she pressed her face against the pillow and half-hugged it. "...happy... news..."

Edited by Zincell, 04 November 2012 - 09:24 PM.

user posted image

#80 Jonesi

• Skaa Godfather

Steward in Training
  • Age63

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:02 AM

"We'll sort this out later Heft."

Jonesi looked at the girl lying on the bed and tucked her into the the bed more securely adding a blanket. "Come," Jonesi told Heft, the alcoholic buzz fading from his system as concern for his family arose. "Let's figure out exactly how this is going to work out."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users