The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Within and Without

Closed W2 D4 MA Aaron Elariel Winston Elariel Marisha Nathar

22 replies to this topic

#21 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Fathvell
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:20 PM

Aaron was surprised by Marisha's response. He had expected her to laugh at him, or turn him away, or even, unlikely as it was, forgive him. He'd never even suspected she'd try to thank him though.

"I... I don't know what to say, Marisha. Normally I'd say you’re welcome but... I don't deserve your thanks. I've done nothing but offend you and put you in danger to serve my own selfish needs. I'm not trying to be some charming suitor, winning you over with compliments. I'm trying to apologize. If anything, it's me who should be thanking you, even if it's just for being yourself, or for teaching me there's actually something to math, or for showing me things about myself that I would have never even fathomed at on my own." Aaron stepped back, and bowed formally, lower even than he would for a high prelan. "Thank-you, Lady Marisha Nathar. Thank-you."

Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 Marisha Nathar

• Nathar heir's sister

Pewterarm
  • Age19

• OriginFarmost Dominance

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:53 AM

Marisha was a cautious woman. She was sure that was what had kept her alive until now, the only thing that had gotten herself and Nerid away free. She did not make any moves without a great deal of forethought. But she had done exactly that, disregarding her better judgement. She would be hurt again - perhaps it wouldn't hurt as much since she knew it was coming? Perhaps that would offer some defense? It was a terrible idea to do this. She could have been killed after the ball; Phyra Venture's rampage afterwards was no secret. This wasn't a simple or a safe thing to do.

But his words momentarily made her feel special, as if she mattered. As long as she remembered that wasn't true, it would keep her safe. As long as she didn't really believe anything he said... he had a lot to say, the words spilling out almost as if he was as anxious as she was, things she never could have believed in a thousand years. How could he sound so sincere? She couldn't look away from his eyes.

She hesitated for a few beats and then answered tentatively, "If you would like to... should mathematics interest you, I would be happy to study with you..."

#23 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Fathvell
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:38 PM

And so, once again, everything came back to math. Aaron couldn't help but chuckle a little, letting out a little bit of laughter despite the sombre situation. Quickly realizing how that laughter might be interpreted in the given circumstances, Aaron interjected before Marisha could assume he was making fun of her in some way. "I'm sorry, I wasn't laughing at you, I promise. If anything, I was laughing at myself, or at our situation. I mean, it's almost as if things have come full circle, haven't they? Here I am, in way over my head as per usual, faced with the prospect of discussing mathematics, which you will remember I'm completely useless at." Despite himself, Aaron laughed a little again, glad to feel the mood lighten slightly.

"If I'm honest with myself, I suppose it will likely be important to improve myself in that area. After all, how will I calculate my new-found importance without a strong grounding in mathematics?" Great, now he had managed to make something Marisha was interested in look like a joke. That would go over well. "If I haven't invalidated your offer with my obvious idiocy, might I take you up on it? I would be delighted to learn from you. If you wanted, we could even make the position official. My uncle has taken a larger interest in my education since my cousin's death, so I'm sure he would be glad to see I've taken the initiative to improve my grasp of mathematics, and compensate you for your pains."

Wait, now am I suggesting I want to buy her friendship? "That's only one option, of course. I mean, I'd completely understand if you would want to keep thing casual. After all, you probably have your own house business to be about here in Luthadel, and don't have the time to professionally tutor someone. Besides, doing so would probably be below your station. I wasn't trying to imply that...not that it matters... or if you really would like to..." Aaron sighed as he forced himself to stop talking, and took a deep breath before continuing.

"I'm sorry, Marisha. I don't know what's come over me. Might I have your permission to stop digging this hole I'm in, and give you a chance to pull me up out of it?"

Posted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users